Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

also new to blazblue. i got the first combo at a fairly consistant rate. however i just cant get that timing for the dash cancel. as when i connenct with the 6c, assuming i dashed, the combo goes grey. (this is in training of course) i can also tell im not doing it right as when i do dash forward he starts running as indicated that this is the wrong timing. any advice?

Today I spend a lot of time in training working on the 6A 5D (DC) 6A - Air Combo thing, and i was having trouble with the DC as well at first so what i did was i worked on just 5D (DC) to 6A for a while. When you dash cancel correctly you'll see a kind of white ball of light burst around the mid section of ragna for a second. The dash cancel needs to be inputted around the begging of the second hit (remember, you're cancelling the animation so you want to input the dash before the move finishes) Also the dash cancel is a set distance dash, it won't let you continue running, so if you're not connecting with the 6A it's because you haven't inputted it early enough. 6A has a GIANT hit box compared to what it looks like visually. Hope this helps! Just keep practicing it, you'll get a feel for it.

ive done it twice , but been so amazed I droped the air combo after the jd. i think i might have the timing down, but im still not sure exactly where the spot is to dash cancel, and im rather dumbfounded at how differant the right, and the wrong look. if you do it right the opponent never stops being right in front of you. i think with a little more practice ill have it. that did help though thanks. however i also am missing on the second jc. i think after i get the combo down, the next thing will be to institute a super jump in their to make it actually work >.> also im rather confused, as devoured by darkness seems... rather useless to say the least. as the set up for it seems to be way to lengthy, and by the time you connect with it they were already dead. mainly though im thinking blood kain=terrible unless you plan to end it with devoured by darkness. simply because that health drain is terribly high...

Blood Kain is awesomeareyouhigh XD Srsly. Increased range, damage, untechable time, and life steal on all your D moves? Sign me right up. It's best to stick it in a combo, like 5D in a corner or out of a back throw that way you get gauranteed damage from it. But hey to each their own. IF you don't like Blood Kain, stick to Rapid Cancels. Carnage Scissors is even worse. Get jabbed out of it.

Blood Kain is risky outside of a combo.... 3k damage in health drain is a lot (which is how much you loose over the full 10 seconds of BK), especially when ragna already has a short life bar. If you like to play risky go for it, it can definitely pay off big time though. Also on the Dash Cancel: you can dash cancel on basically the first active frame of the second hit, so you should be inputting your dash such that the second forward happens at the same time as the second hit of 5D lands. This is the fastest possible DC. Also the dash after a DC counts as "move." It has a set duration during which you can do nothing else, so you can't cancel the dash into an other move like you could a normal dash (that would be so over powered lol, ragna would be god tier). And if you get hit during a DC it will be counter hit, so be careful! Long story short that means you have to time the 6A right at the end of the DC, you can't just cancel into it. Luckily the window is pretty big.

ah mk. carnage scissors is better than i originally thought. do all super moves have invincibility on start up? i devoured by darkness right through an ice car 0.o. im not saying i dont like blood kain, but I just dont know where to take it. i suppose if i learn to dc 5d then i can corner combo it, then it would be awsome... also anyone else hate the input for carnage scissors? i figured out how to do it, but god its still obnoxious...(i keep hitting stupid diagonal.(or at least i did) ID<carnage scissors. especially when you die :() edit: i can now carnage scissors consistantly. (new technique :)) i also now know the timing to dc 5d. which i discovered because i usually do the basic, 5b>5c>5d into a hells fang. this has the correct timing for the cancel, assuming you input the hells fang early enough. if you input it slightly later you can hit with the second half. however as said above i too have issues with height, i hope in add in a super jump. i wish there was a way to slow down the game to about 75% speed >.> the only question i have remaining is how on earth do you use rapid cancels effectively. as they sound amazing, but i cant rc a hells fang into 6d.(supposidly a standard use for ragnas rc) also what about rcing a straight punch? for some reason this idea keeps naging me. however i also dont know any wall bounce combos.

You want to avoid using carnage scissors unless you combo into it, the easiest of which are probably 5B 5C Carnage Scissors, or neutral throw + carnage scissors (timing is to buffer the movement and hit C as soon as they launch off of your blade) outside of that using it by it self is VERY risky because the dashing forward movement of it has 0 invincibility frames thus getting poked out of it really easy. I would keep working on your air jump cancel combos and learning some corner combos before you worry about rapid cancelling. Mainly because most combos involving rapid cancelling are going to involve those techniques in their crazy long 18 hit strings. Blood Kain seems like a disadvantage at first but it's AMAZING and you need to just learn to use it correctly. The natural impulse on activation is to start spamming D, something I still feel as a fellow new guy lol, but you want to combo into it normally and take advantage of the extra reach and damage you have now. The corner combos with BK are nasty lol. One question: Are you using a stick or a pad?

im using a pad, apparently with a good d pad. im considering investing in a fight pad. (im not a big stick person.) the only problem im currently having is that for some reason now i cant inferno divider at the end of the air string >.< the inputs right... its probably me... also whats a tk?

im using a pad, apparently with a good d pad. im considering investing in a fight pad. (im not a big stick person.)

the only problem im currently having is that for some reason now i cant inferno divider at the end of the air string >.< the inputs right... its probably me...

also whats a tk?

Tiger Knee. It's adding a jump at the end of an input to get the air version of a particular move very close to the ground. Say we wanted to TK Ragna's Gauntlet Hades, you would do the input as 2147B instead of 214B.

mk thanks where does tiger knee originate, and why would i want to tk? in the instance you mentioned is there a benefit for gauntlet hades? i never noticed a differance...

TK GH makes it come out in 12 frames instead of 20, and you can combo after it. Also hits lower for people like Rachel with her extremely low crouch.

you can't always do the tk version. Lots of moves are special cancel-able but not jump cancel-able ie like throws. but yeah at neutral, you should pretty much always do tk GH

I've got one of these, soon, as well. Tips for stuff I should practice/react to/etc.? It's on the 15th. =3

I've got one of these, soon, as well. Tips for stuff I should practice/react to/etc.? It's on the 15th. =3

Practice your BnB combos and your block strings... a lot. Every hit counts. try to practice the matchups you're not very used cause you'll probably run into one of those. Try to keep doing things thinking and not by muscle memory and try to mix it up a lot. Its also useful to practice throw releases on reaction. And just keep it cool, ragna is indeed a straightforward character but rushing mindlessly is not going to make things better.

I'm a pretty noob Ragna player (I can't do Inferno Divider for shit on my new stick) so I don't know if this works or not.

But, if you have 50% Heat and you get a knockdown, try doing Not Over Yet > Carnage Scissors. Also, you can really turn things around if you're low on health and use Blood Kain. The extra damage and health stealing can really go a long way. Plus 5D works much, much better for pressure.

And like the guy above me said, practice practice practice. It's pretty much all you can do.

Bribe the Arakune players. Hope that the v-13 players are bad. Know what to do against Jin. This is the best advice anyone can give you.

Bribe the Arakune players. Hope that the v-13 players are bad. Know what to do against Jin. This is the best advice anyone can give you.

All I can bribe them with are hugs. =x

But I know there's going to be at least one Nu player that I haven't played or seen before.

There's an Arakune player that I know I can beat.

A Bang player that I know I can beat.

A Tager that I can probably beat if I focus until he switches to Taokaka then it's up in the air. =x

okay, so here is what you should do, go into training mode and just practice this:

6A, Jump Cancel, j5C, j5D, double jump cancel, j5C, j5D, 623 D, 236C, 214C

untill you can do it pretty much perfectly every time. Then try:

5B,5C,5D (2 hits), dash cancel, 6A, Jump Cancel, j5C, j5D, double jump cancel, j5C, j5D, 623d, 236c, 214c

I grinded out 5B, 5C, 5D (2 hits), dash cancel, 6A for a bit, and can never seem to get the 6A to connect. Everytime I dash cancel after the second 5D, I can never make it to them, they bounce back too far. Any advice?

I grinded out 5B, 5C, 5D (2 hits), dash cancel, 6A for a bit, and can never seem to get the 6A to connect. Everytime I dash cancel after the second 5D, I can never make it to them, they bounce back too far. Any advice?

the way i learned it was. do this combo: 5b, 5c, 5d, HF, follow up.

make sure to input the hf as fast as possible after the second hit. note the timing. now run dash at that timing. it should work.

it was quite a moment of stupidity, as i had been using the above combo, as a nooby BnB(still do for that matter as i still am a noob)

if you didnt read earlier on some chars with the combo you listed, you actually have to super jump to get all the hits on them.

the way i learned it was. do this combo: 5b, 5c, 5d, HF, follow up.

make sure to input the hf as fast as possible after the second hit. note the timing. now run dash at that timing. it should work.

it was quite a moment of stupidity, as i had been using the above combo, as a nooby BnB(still do for that matter as i still am a noob)

if you didnt read earlier on some chars with the combo you listed, you actually have to super jump to get all the hits on them.

I guess I need to see some videos. Can never get the 6A, I must be doing something completely wrong.

Remove the 5c. If that doesn't help its your timing for the 6a (you also might be dash canceling really late) that is incorrect. good luck.

You can buffer the dash early for 5D. I do it as soon as the sword comes down for the second hit.

That is when I buffer it. I swear I must be retarded or something. 5B - 5C - 5D (two hits) - Dash Cancel - 6A, and they are too far away every time. UGH.

That is when I buffer it. I swear I must be retarded or something. 5B - 5C - 5D (two hits) - Dash Cancel - 6A, and they are too far away every time. UGH.

Sometimes it may just be that they really are too far away for the 6A. If that's the case you can always 5B > 623D etc instead.