Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

ohhh boy

- you have footsies (5B, 5C, maybe even 2D). 6A is not a footsie. don't use it when turning your neutral into offense. and most of all PLEASE don't double jump and do belial edge after 6A; against a good hazama that's like asking to lose half your life.

- 5B - 5C - 214D is a really really really bad blockstring, especially if used multiple times. improve your blockstrings and use other moves such as 2B and 2C to keep your opponent honest. seriously, that shit is so easy to see and to punish, it's not even funny that even someone like you is doing it.

- work on your combos, man. that 6B that you got early in the match could have led to about 3.5-4k, but instead you slaughtered the combo and butchered it to a wimpy 2.7k with absolutely no oki. the several times you landed 5B - 5C you could have possibly either use hjc j.C from 5C and go into an air combo or possibly hitconfirm into 5D, but instead you just let it go; it's incredibly dangerous to do that against a good hazama, but fortunately you fought a terrible one. not to mention you did an absolutely horrendous back throw combo. PLEASE check the combo thread for optimal ones, and if you even have any questions, PLEASE ask. there are people who are much friendlier than me that would assist you in crafting you into an actually feasible player.

on the bright side, you actually kept yourself grounded for most of the match, and you did try to anti-air hazama out of his chain approaches in which, while it may not be suggested for some situations, does give you an edge against hazama.

with all of that said, you really need to work on your combos and your non-existent pressure/mixup. any decent or half-decent player will brutally blow you up at the state you're in.

ohhh boy

- you have footsies (5B, 5C, maybe even 2D). 6A is not a footsie. don't use it when turning your neutral into offense. and most of all PLEASE don't double jump and do belial edge after 6A; against a good hazama that's like asking to lose half your life.

- 5B - 5C - 214D is a really really really bad blockstring, especially if used multiple times. improve your blockstrings and use other moves such as 2B and 2C to keep your opponent honest. seriously, that shit is so easy to see and to punish, it's not even funny that even someone like you is doing it.

- work on your combos, man. that 6B that you got early in the match could have led to about 3.5-4k, but instead you slaughtered the combo and butchered it to a wimpy 2.7k with absolutely no oki. the several times you landed 5B - 5C you could have possibly either use hjc j.C from 5C and go into an air combo or possibly hitconfirm into 5D, but instead you just let it go; it's incredibly dangerous to do that against a good hazama, but fortunately you fought a terrible one. not to mention you did an absolutely horrendous back throw combo. PLEASE check the combo thread for optimal ones, and if you even have any questions, PLEASE ask. there are people who are much friendlier than me that would assist you in crafting you into an actually feasible player.

on the bright side, you actually kept yourself grounded for most of the match, and you did try to anti-air hazama out of his chain approaches in which, while it may not be suggested for some situations, does give you an edge against hazama.

with all of that said, you really need to work on your combos and your non-existent pressure/mixup. any decent or half-decent player will brutally blow you up at the state you're in.

Ironically, I spent a lot of time with Ragna and thought I was at least 'meh', but I still appreciate the tips. 'Tis my firs FG after all.

Anyways, the replay was from like 2 weeks ago. Not saying I got good over night or anything, but I tried some new stuff when I next played. I try to use 214D to catch my opponent on wake up, or I go for a few 2As into a grab. Are these good options? Or should I go for something else?

Lastly, I only went for BK on the 4BC combo because I thought it wasn't going to drop. But still, duly noted, I'll go work on my Ragna, and hopefully return with a better replay.

here's a list of some good options:

• 2A > 2C gatling (frame trap)
  • 5B > 2B or 2B > 5B gatlings (keeps opponent honest in blocking, late chain really helps)
  • 2C > late 5C gatling (kind of a frame trap, but tricks opponents into thinking you won't do anything after 2C, which most people do since it's +1)
  • whenever you use 6A or 3C, airdash away (seriously, anything after that will get mashed out)
  • 5B > 214D on rare occasions, 5B > 5C > 214D works only if you do it very rarely
  • 5B > 2D or 5B > 5C > 2D to keep the opponent spaced and to refrain the opponent from jumping out of pressure
  • don't gatling into 6B
  • 2A > 5A gatlings are really good. if you see 5A whiff on the opponent when they're crouching, you can go into throw after its recovery or start pressure again with 2A.
  • dash 6D is good for catching really bad throw escape attempts, and excellent for punishing certain lows like hakumen 3C and hazama 3C.
  • if you ever happen to use 5D by mistake, cancel into dead spike. most people won't try to punish you for it unless you dash cancel it.
  • work on your combos

So I've kinda hit that point in my game where it doesn't really feel like I'm improving all that much anymore. Haven't had the chance to actually record many matches recentley, but this one is from not too long ago, so any pointers would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQp_sFsXXQ

I kind of know what you mean Seo, there are times that i feel as if i'm not improving, or my ragna is becoming stale..i guess that's why we are all here as a community, to help each other. Well, along with what Tong mentioned, i noticed just a few other things, nothing major though.

For the combo you started at 1:24, instead of following up the Berial edge with 5C, you could have used TK gauntlet hades > 5B > 5D (1) > DS > C ID, then into usual 22C Pickup or HF. This would have been more favourable than ending the combo in axe kick, and gives you better oki potential.

You follwed up Berial edge again with 5C at 1:55, that could have been another TK GH. Too bad i don't have a video of me doing this saved, so can show you. But basically, if your opponent gets lunged into the corner with Berial edge, but you are still quite far from them, use TK GH.

When mid-screen, sometimes i like to go for oki. You can hit-confirm into 3C, then jump cancel. For opponents that tech immediately, you can land then hit with 2B, 6B, or even air dash into JC > JD. It's your call. You can probably even Barrier block to bait reversals.

If they don't tech immediately, just go for a 2B reset.

Also, this is player specific. That particular guy you played, i've noticed, likes to jump around lot whilst you're pressuring. A 2C > 6C gattling will sort that out.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, i think you tried to go for 5B > 6A > Instant air dash > cross over D ID?

Well, most people have noticed that anything ragna does after 6A is unsafe (especially my bro Kiba) or have just gotten used to attacking Ragna after 6A so i'm not surprised you got poked out of it. Try replacing 6A with 3C, might do you a whole lot of good because people see 6A too much

If you really want that D ID starter, with it's good P1 of 100, try going for something like this:

@ 0:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-EpFV8BDFU&feature=feedu_more

With that comes conditioning your opponent to neutral tech quickly though.

Also it's quite hard to master at first. If you end up dashing past them whilst doing J.D (Because that sometimes comes out whilst i do it), don't worry, as it puts you in a good position anyway, because they'd still be in the corner. Also if they back roll when you dash back, you can catch them with J.C FORCING them to block on their wake up..you can then continue pressure, putting them on the defensive.

Also try IBing more, would get you better punishes.

Dat rage burst at 2:19. lol.

Overall nice ragna man, i always loved playing you.

For the combo you started at 1:24, instead of following up the Berial edge with 5C, you could have used TK gauntlet hades > 5B > 5D (1) > DS > C ID, then into usual 22C Pickup or HF. This would have been more favourable than ending the combo in axe kick, and gives you better oki potential.

You follwed up Berial edge again with 5C at 1:55, that could have been another TK GH. Too bad i don't have a video of me doing this saved, so can show you. But basically, if your opponent gets lunged into the corner with Berial edge, but you are still quite far from them, use TK GH.

Think I was caught off guard that my 2A actually hit, so I probably panicked thinking, "2A starter, gotta keep this combo short". TKGH is something I definitely still need more practice in getting consistently, haha.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, i think you tried to go for 5B > 6A > Instant air dash > cross over D ID?

Well, most people have noticed that anything ragna does after 6A is unsafe (especially my bro Kiba) or have just gotten used to attacking Ragna after 6A so i'm not surprised you got poked out of it. Try replacing 6A with 3C, might do you a whole lot of good because people see 6A too much

Yeah, I usually go for cross over ID very sparingly now, and in better situations. Guess I just underestimated his ability to press buttons ;-;

If you really want that D ID starter, with it's good P1 of 100, try going for something like this:

@ 0:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-EpFV8BDFU&feature=feedu_more

With that comes conditioning your opponent to neutral tech quickly though.

Also it's quite hard to master at first. If you end up dashing past them whilst doing J.D (Because that sometimes comes out whilst i do it), don't worry, as it puts you in a good position anyway, because they'd still be in the corner. Also if they back roll when you dash back, you can catch them with J.C FORCING them to block on their wake up..you can then continue pressure, putting them on the defensive.

sav'd and duly noted. Thanks!

Also try IBing more, would get you better punishes.

Dat rage burst at 2:19. lol.

Overall nice ragna man, i always loved playing you.

Yeah my IBing was really off in this video, quite disappointed in myself there really. I swear I wanted gold burst too! Was hoping he'd come in with J.2C and I'd gold burst after IBing the chain ;-;

Cheers for the feedback though dude, was a ton of fun playing against you aswell (considering I hate Ragna mirrors, haha). I gotta get myself a new stick for PS3 soon or head down to whatever the next event in London or something is and get some games in.

You're telling people to do my link! ^___^

As much as I love you for this, it doesn't work off of 2A>5B>5D(2)(DC)>5C>j.C>BE.

Not to mention it's extremely char specific...

Seo nearly didn't drop any combo and made pretty nice saves with midscreen Belial 5C ID.

That is more than enough to be considered an average Ragna :eng101:

I would never do crossup D ID and get countered by 5A(especialy vs hazama)

I always use C ID because if I get countered by 5A my stick would be in a real danger LOL

Anyway I think there is a point where you will get "only" as good as your competition and not much better.

Thats why I added in friend some of the better players in EUROPE for my netplay,I was stacked pretty much in "same country matches" nothing wrong especialy since I can play 4 bar connection,I just wanted other enemies

I added you as well seo so lets see if we can have some matches one day

I would never do crossup D ID and get countered by 5A(especialy vs hazama)

I always use C ID because if I get countered by 5A my stick would be in a real danger LOL

I thought you did D ID crossups because of better proration. I mean if they were doing die in like two hits then I guess C ID would be fine, but my theory is if you're gonna spend 50 heat to rapid it, mind as well get the most damage you can get. Can't just toss heat all willy-nilly :v:

Not to mention it's extremely char specific...

At the distance Kid is suggesting to use it, it is universal.

Seo, here are a few things I noticed:

1) You were using 2A as an anti-air at some points, which it really isn't.

2) Your blocking is fine, but you need to work on your defense. One specific example is at 2:24. The Haz is charging stance right in front of you; why did you not jump?

3) You need to work on akward hit confirms. You did 5A(CH)>pause 5A>5D, which blue beat, instead of 5A(CH)>pause 5A>jc j.A stuff.

Cross up C DP is much, much easier to confirm into damage mid screen.

Seo, your posts always make me want to hug you.

Scratch that, this is the happiest day of my life.

1) You were using 2A as an anti-air at some points, which it really isn't.

Truth be told, I was most likely just mashing this time around, heh.

2) Your blocking is fine, but you need to work on your defense. One specific example is at 2:24. The Haz is charging stance right in front of you; why did you not jump?

No excuses here, I'm honestly not sure why I didn't jump myself.

3) You need to work on akward hit confirms. You did 5A(CH)>pause 5A>5D, which blue beat, instead of 5A(CH)>pause 5A>jc j.A stuff.

Cross up C DP is much, much easier to confirm into damage mid screen.

Again, no excuses here, just a really bad reaction to the CH5A on my part. Thanks for pointing this stuff out though, much appreciated.

You're telling people to do my link! ^___^

As much as I love you for this, it doesn't work off of 2A>5B>5D(2)(DC)>5C>j.C>BE.

I knew i got it from somewhere. Nice video Mash.

Ok maybe doing it after a 2A starter is not the best of ideas. I usually do it after a J.A starter, or something with moderately high P1.

As previously mentioned, 6A into cross up ID is pretty predictable. Also if you're going to go for that, i'd rather spend the heat on a D ID rather than a C ID.

Thats why I added in friend some of the better players in EUROPE for my netplay,I was stacked pretty much in "same country matches" nothing wrong especialy since I can play 4 bar connection,I just wanted other enemies

I added you as well seo so lets see if we can have some matches one day

I usually just play any 2 bar+ matches, they always feel fine for me, haha. I noticed you added me a few days ago, I should probably stop playing other games and get on my xbox soon.

you need better ways to get into ID crossup; off of 6A is really predictable.

Yeah, this is a habit I'm slowly but surely breaking out of now. Didn't really help the only time I ever used 6A in pressure was when I was specfically going for crossup ID...

I was trying to use D ID in blockstrings, ala SF4, as a mashing/trap punishing tool, but the Invul is inextistant and its range shorter than a 5A.

D ID needs a bit of invul, enough to not lose to mashing and to not be suitable as a reversal.

Yeah, this is a habit I'm slowly but surely breaking out of now. Didn't really help the only time I ever used 6A in pressure was when I was specfically going for crossup ID...

Try doing it after 3C and even 6C in addition to 6A, it'll keep them on their toes. Hell, did you know 5A was JCable too? Just keep trying out different paths and see how it works, cross-up DP is a great tool to have for our mix-up.

facepalm.jpeg

Obviously you don't believe in breaking primers with random D DP.