Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

So I finally took this game online for the first time last week. I've got a few matches recorded, and I wanted some critic on the (many) things I could improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqfB78ZeoI&feature=youtu.be

You should probably keep in mind that this is the first time I've ever fought anyone in this game lol. I'll have more sets up soon.

I should also probably mention that I'm the Rags in white.

Well, obviously neither you or your opponent are at a very high level, but there are still a lot of things you can learn from that match!

0:20 I dunno why you got hit by Tsuika here. You could probably have punished Hell's Fang with a j.C for lots of damage, so I'm guessing you tried to do that and missed the timing/got fucked by lag?

0:24 You can do a much better combo with a 2C starter, but you probably don't know it yet. Just keep in mind that 2C is your punish of choice for moves that are in CH state while in recovery (this includes all DPs).

0:25 5C doesn't link into 6D, but that's probably an execution error. In general execution is quite sloppy and combos are suboptimal, but that's to be expected from a beginner.

0:41 Try not go into 6A like that. If your initial 5B hits, it's a better combo, but if it's blocked and you go into 6A, you basically have to jump cancel and lose your blockstring.

0:45 Do your air strings faster. This applies to most of your combos. Later on you tried a combo into Belial Edge that usually works, but it didn't cause you did j.C j.D j.C j.D too slowly.

0:47 Get into the habit of barrier blocking in the air. No way to do that except play more matches, though.

0:49 He's at a disadvantage after CS whiffed, you could probably nail him with 5A.

1:07 D Divider has no invincibility, so do C version instead for the wake-up DP.

1:10 You airdash way too much. That can work sometimes but in general you'll end up taking an anti-air. Ragna's ground pokes (5B/5C) are ludicrously strong so you can afford to stay on the ground, even in the mirror. If you want to approach in the air, consider mixing it up with options other than airdash, such as super jump forwards and double jumps.

1:19 Here's where the combo ought to have worked but didn't cause you did j.C j.D j.C j.D too slowly.

1:24 An example of an unsafe airdash, albeit by your opponent. He's wide open for a 6A CH.

Well, obviously neither you or your opponent are at a very high level, but there are still a lot of things you can learn from that match!

0:20 I dunno why you got hit by Tsuika here. You could probably have punished Hell's Fang with a j.C for lots of damage, so I'm guessing you tried to do that and missed the timing/got fucked by lag?

1. Do combos. For the air combos, you should practice recognizing when you need to super jump, normal jump or double jump as well as when to use C or D.

2. Play against not scrubs. That guy was throwing out DP's more than any other move. Don't hesitate to upload videos of you losing, as your loses are definitely the best time for critiquing.

3. Press buttons when you need to.

4. Don't press buttons when you shouldn't.

5. Jump less. Against good players, jumping too much and too predictably makes you vulnerable to anti-airs. While jumping attacks may be strong, being in the air generally reduces your options. This is something I struggle with. Ragna wasn't born with wings for a reason.

6. Just press some goddamn buttons and get used to the game. Not much more to say than keep playing, learn your character and your opponents.

7. Ragna can't count this high. But thankfully he doesn't have to. Be happy you chose Ragna, and not some complex character like Carl or some shit :yaaay:

That match was actually pretty lag free. I honestly didn't expect him to do the follow up after whiffing HF, so I was going to land and punish on the ground lol.

Ok, that's understandable.

Yeah I actually just put myself into the same situation in training mode. That close to the corner, I gave up a 4.8k damage 2C 6C combo :(

Try and see if you can do this combo: 2C (Fatal) 214D dash 5B 5C 6C Dash Cancel 6B 5C j.C j.D j.C j.D j.214C 6B 5C 5D 623D (1) 236C 236C cross under 3C into ender of your choice (HF, 22C, CS). If you can't, that's ok, but just keep in mind that this is pretty much the optimal meterless 2C FC combo for midscreen to corner and return to it when your execution is better.

I'll keep that in mind. What would you suggest for that situation midscreen? 5B, 5C, 2C, HF~Tsuika for heat? Near the corner it looks like I can going into a DID combo instead.

Well there isn't a fixed route, but it's usually good to do 5B 2B if you're in range, if not then do 5B 5C. From there, you can try to reset pressure with Dead Spike or 3C jump cancel, go for a low with 3C/2D, or go for an overhead with Gauntlet Hades. These are the most basic options, you'll learn different ones as you get better. If you're referring to combos, you can do something like 5B 5C 3C 623D etc., as long as 3C hits, 623D will also be in range. If you're out of range for that then you pretty much have to go into HF.

I keep forgetting that you can cancel CS after the first part. I was waiting the whole super to finish lol. Do you think 2C would have worked in that situation too?

If the first part of CS doesn't hit, the second attack will not come out, so punish it as soon as you can on whiff. It didn't look like 2C could have worked by eye, but by frame data you should have had enough time, so I dunno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NO2ngj3FOc&list=UUSWFwW7yDCCwwajY97IaZ3w

For those who enjoy watching videos, a little rusty since I have a busy schedule with the military and my absence is going to be a little bit more apparent as of 2013. It's a sad day we can't all be together to watch each other grow as players and share advice, I'm really looking forward to the CP version of this thread if I happen to still be around. Critique or enjoy, thank you for reading.

1. Don't roll past Hazama when your grounded and in the corner. There is an OS he can that if you roll past him, you'll activate his distortion and get hit. If you don't try to roll past him, he'll just barrier block. I think the OS is 421421 A+B.

2. Use the 22A~C OS when you knock someone down with Axe kick.

3. Optimize your combos. For example, the best meterless throw combo to use on everyone except Tager, Valk and Haku is:

Throw > 5C >5D(1) > DS > 5C > High Jump Cancel > j.C > j.D > Jump Cancel > j.C > j.D > BE > 5D > cID(1) > Follow up to Punch > CU 3C > 22C.

Nets like 4.1K damage.

4. Dat Mid-Low mix-up using 100 Heat.

5. Use more tools in your block strings, it seems that the opponent doesn't really have to worry much when blocking, because most of what you do it a mid or a low. Throw out more overheads, use more throws. I don't think i counted at least 3 throw attempts from you. Keep the opponent on their toes. Preferably, use short blockstrings and reset presseure. For instance:

2A > 5B > 2C > Reset pressure.

2A > 2A > Dash 2A > Reset pressure.

Also from personal experience, 6B is easier to block when gattlinged into it. Throw out a naked 6B at times or even a meaty 6B on wake-up.

- optimize your combos. you're butchering your damage in a lot of places where you could make it hurt.

- don't try to bait bursts so often (a hard bait once in a while when you expect a burst is fine, but don't make your own strategy obvious to the opponent)

- start IBing. learn it, do it, master it, love it.

- when litchi doesn't have staff and she's in the corner, you have the advantage. you should make more out of those situations, like put meaties in there so as to keep litchi in the corner

- don't be afraid to use counter assaults, especially if you're up against litchi. you may have good blocking skills, but as long as you're blocking you'll never get litchi off of you. DPs are nice too, but you spend 50 heat either way.

- find better corner pressure than doing just j.C all day. despite how little it is, ragna does have mixup

Thanks KayEff, i will take all of that into consideration. I tend to usually doubt myself when it comes to combos when i'm playing..always second guess if something is going to work, which is why my combos aren't perfect.

Here is another match that i'd like to be critique'd on if anyone has time. Is there anything else that i can work on, apart from the things stated above? Am i playing this match up right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pheIbyA06vc

you need to be aggressive in that matchup. you need to get in the mu's face as much as possible, but without opening yourself up. once you're in, go crazy, but always be wary of mu's DP.

Another thing about DP; you should learn when you can use it in situations that are 100% guaranteed so that you don't let them get away with walking all over you. Example, blocking Litchi staffless 6A is a free DP punish is they're not using the staff to cover the hole..

Ok i'm gonna just get straight to the point on this. Overall i think it's just that ou kinda need to play more and get accustomed to match ups etc.

- Patience against Rachel

Although patience is good in order to plan and anticipate you opponents moves, you are being way too patience against Rachel, especially in this match up. You are giving Rachel the opportunity to keep you at bay by setting up her shit on the field, which puts you (Being a ragna player) in the worst possible position, as she is pretty good at keeping you out. A better Rachel Player would've probably kept you at bay for the entire duration of the match. Obviously that's not ideal as you'll need to get in in order to actually do something due to Ragna's limited Range. Be more aggressive and rush Rachel down when you get the chance to. You have to be on her ass in this match up.

Bare in mind Aggressiveness =/= Recklessness

- Grab before george activates

If you are pressuring Rachel and George is about to activate, just grab rachel. The point of the grab is not to actually get a confirm, but is to actually make george disappear and avoid getting hit, so it doesn't matter if your opponent techs the throw. It's a Win Win situation for you. You'll either get a nice Throw combo, or Rachel will tech, but obviously george will be gone.

-Unpredictable block strings

Keep your Blockstring options unpredictable. I don't wanna see 5B > 5C > GH or 5B > 5C > DS (Ok to use these, but not all the time...rarely in fact). :|

It'd be better to use tools such as 2A > 2B > reset pressure, throw etc. Keeps the blockstring short and unpredictable.

-Optimise your combos

Yea

That's a lot of auto pilot. :X

I can't help it that Ragna is dumb, and causes me to do dumb things.

In any case, I'll take that advice. I don't play a lot of Rachel honestly, and I know she has a lot of tools to keep me out so I tend to wait it out.

Also, moar matches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpffNU4K8ks&feature=youtu.be

I don't play a lot of Rachel honestly, and I know she has a lot of tools to keep me out so I tend to wait it out.

All the more reason to rush her down and not wait.

In regards to the other matches you posted against the tager:

- Stop letting the tager get away with using super jumps to approach. If the tager uses a super jump, you can do one of MANY things:

1. Jump and throw him

2. Run underneath him to the other side for safety

3. Run underneath him and catch his landing with a 5B. The tager will obviously have to block the other way to block the 5B, most tagers fall for it.

- IB a hell of a lot more. There are so many punishes you are missing because you aren't IBing enough. You really don't want to be sitting in tager's blockstrings.

- Optimise your combos

- Improve your hitconfirm

- Stop using 5D on block

In regards to the match against Lambda:

- Rush her down. You aren't making it really difficult for the lambda to lock you down, you are staying away from her when you should be on her ass.

Sorry for the late reply

All the more reason to rush her down and not wait.

- Stop using 5D on block

Huh, I thought it was good for frametraps?

1. Combos. You could be getting a lot more damage off of a lot of things that you're just going into HF after. It looks like you're assuming you're midscreen when you're a lot closer to the corner than you think. Also, when your back is to the corner and you land a 6C, it's a great time to dash cancel, then microdash under the falling opponent and 5D. This puts them in the corner and gets more damage than just 6C>DC>5D>DC>5C etc.

2. Meter usage. You seem to be holding onto your meter a bit much. Ragna sweats meter. There were a number of combos where a RC would've given you a lot more damage/better positioning and a few where efficient meter use could've won you the round. If you die with meter, it's completely wasted, so if you're in a tight spot, don't be afraid to DP>RC.

3. Pressure. Something I find myself doing all too often is just dialing in the 5B>5C on block. 5C is pretty bad on block, honestly. It pushes you too far away for 2C, 5D is even lamer on block, 2D ends your pressure (but does great to catch people holding up-back) and all of Ragna's specials, save for deadspike are unsafe on block.

DS can reset pressure rather well against some characters, but it starts up slow and it can't cancel into anything, so even though it's +3 it's pretty much begging to be up-backed when your opponent sees they blocked it. 2B and 2C are good for resetting pressure because they recover fast, and you can cancel them into a number of normals for frametraps. Just lay off the 5C, it's a really bad habit to autopilot with it.

Huh, I thought it was good for frametraps?

If you dash cancel the second hit it's -1, so you can kinda trick your opponent into punishing it but make them eat a DP instead. It's a lot like HF in that regard, but it's definitely not worth the risk. Just a bad gimmick to keep your opponent confused (and in the life lead if you do it more than, say, once). Besides that, 5D can only be special canceled, and almost all of Ragna's specials are awful on block.