Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

I'll name a couple of things to improve on.

First of all, you need to consider why sometimes damage isn't everything. Sure, it's nice to get more damage by starting a combo with 5C instead of 5B, but there's a reason that's not always the best idea. You have to take into account the properties of the 2 moves. 5B may scale the damage more and have slightly less range, but it's faster than 5C and recovers much quicker if it misses. Also if the opponent blocks, it's easier to confirm whether or not to finish your combo if you start from an extra move. If you KNOW 5C is going to hit, go ahead and start with that. But if you're just fishing for a hit, I would say 5B is a safer option.

You're running in blindly a lot. If you were fighting a better v-13 player, that would be getting you killed. Have you heard of dash breaking? It's doing a barrier block/faultless defense while running. It's a safer way of approaching the opponent cause you can block instantly from running. It was also in GG.

Also doing too many special moves in random situations. They may have worked well enough on that player, but better ones will be punishing you for that stuff.

It seems like you aren't paying attention to what your opponent is doing, and are more focused on rushing the hell out of her with no regard to your own safety. Try to think and react rather than guess and pray most the time.

You should go in training to get comfortable with Ragna's normals and try improving your combos(the ones in the combo thread)/execution. Ones that end in 22C are almost always preferable as I understand it, cause it sets you up nicely for a reset/mix up.

Hope that helps :eng101:

how do you dash break??? i kinda like to just rush down the opponent kinda like the guy in the video so this would be very useful for me especially for quicker characters that can punish me for running blindly right at them

how do you dash break??? i kinda like to just rush down the opponent kinda like the guy in the video so this would be very useful for me especially for quicker characters that can punish me for running blindly right at them

While running, barrier block. So while running 1A+B or 4A+B.

Ever since I started school Ive been noticing that I've been having problems keeping pressure on the opponent. I trained on a Unlimited 100 COM Nu and we we're about even but whenever I play actual people I just seemed to be getting crushed and forgettng all my combos.:gonk: Any suggestions for my problem?

Ever since I started school Ive been noticing that I've been having problems keeping pressure on the opponent. I trained on a Unlimited 100 COM Nu and we we're about even but whenever I play actual people I just seemed to be getting crushed and forgettng all my combos.:gonk: Any suggestions for my problem?

There's your problem. The only thing you can really gain from fighting the computer is combo practice. Playing the computer hurts more than it helps.

You need to play actual people more, preferably offline or in as little lag as possible.

Also, there's no sense in fighting a character that isn't even allowed to be played in standard matches.

There's your problem. The only thing you can really gain from fighting the computer is combo practice. Playing the computer hurts more than it helps.

You need to play actual people more, preferably offline or in as little lag as possible.

Never actually thought about that but thanks for the advice

1. Get combo practice 2. See how you operate against a human opponent who knows what they're doing 3. Revise your strategy and combos to be more effective in certain situations 4. Practice more 5. Play more 6. Play more 7. Play even more Eventually, practice in training mode or against CPU can only help so much. Even if you can do a combo in training mode, you won't know how effective it is or when to use it until you actually play someone else.

oi, i'm looking for someone to help me improve my ragna, i've been loosing much, maybe i don't know how to aproach properly, how deep should i go, and stuff like that. I'm level 41 or 42 (but, for my experience it doesn't mean nothing, as i have seen jin spammer and so). My winning ratio is 40.6, which is not high, indeed it's really low to my tastes! :psyduck: but anyway, if someone can give me a helping hand it would be really apreciated! Regards:)

1: Learn combos, specially BnBs first to reduce frustration level. Feel free to make up your own combos, but make sure they're practical in real matches.

2: Play offline more against competitive players to see how you fare without lag.

3: Learn your char's strengths and weaknesses. Doesn't seem like much, but when you can understand these simple points, you can incorporate them into your playstyle.

4: 5C is your friend. 5B is also your friend. So are 80% of Ragna's normals and 99% of his specials. You don't need to know their frame data, but you do need to know how to use them properly. Like say, 5C is a good combo starter because it reverse prorates, but 5B is awesome as a poke.

5: Learn the matchups against other chars. This what you know what to do in x situation and how to punish y move. Just don't get too caught up in using teirs to determine how good your char is. >_>

That's the most I can do for advice. Also, 40.6 is actually a okay win average compared to barely over 30, FYI. <_<

Learn to mixup. It sounds simple but knowing when to poke low and when to go overhead helps immensely. Once your opponent gets locked into a certain way of blocking, mix it up. Keep them guessing.

I've run into a bit of a wall with my ragna playing. Basically, I'm stuck in the habit of using Hell's Fang to cross the field. And I thought it was okay, up until I played another ragna, one who's actually...rather good...and got blocked into some crazy long combo (which I recorded for my own study) and then of COURSE I, being an idiot, used it again and got Carnage Scissor'd for my trouble...anyway.

I want to cross the field quickly and have less vulnerability than just dashing, but I don't know a way that gets me out of the problem of being completely screwed if I'm blocked (especially against tager.) Any ideas? I remember reading somewhere on these forums that dash and 5B made a great combination, but I don't know if it's online lag or I just need way more practice (most likely the latter) that keeps me from making effective use of it.

So yes. If anyone knows of a more effective way, it would be VERY helpful to my overall ragna game.

I want to cross the field quickly and have less vulnerability than just dashing, but I don't know a way that gets me out of the problem of being completely screwed if I'm blocked (especially against tager.) Any ideas?

Dash break, while running 1A+B/4A+B. It lets you block immediately out of running, and stops you so you can see what they're doing and act accordingly.

or dash jumping/double jumping to see how they react.

Okey! well.. those are very good advices, Many Thanks for it mates! but i still have a few couple of question, hope you can answer them: 1.- what does it mean "BnBs"? I have seen it in many threads, and i'm still wondering what could it be. 2.- Ragna strenght is his range right?, what other strenghts does he have? and weekness.. i have played for a little while, but it seems to me that ragna is underpower or something, i just feel they didn't put much emphasis while make him or programing. Every other character feels like a little more overpower than him, which annoys me. Especially nu and noel! ... Noel more than anyone else!!!! D:< 3. FYI??? What is that? 4. oh yeah, i almost forgot, Inferno divider, Does is it have Invicibility frames? i have seem plenty of people inferno divider throug some of my attacks, it been ticking me off for a couple of days, and when to use it? i have, or at least i think i have figure it out how to use Hell Fangs properly and still working on GH... but i have no clue in how to use ID properly. Well, another thing that bugs me is, it's not a question, just asking for an opinion, does you guys have many troubles finding competitive player on your city, i don't seem to find anyone who plays blazblue, or at least guilty gear, i have found some but they just play KOF 2002, FPS and Smash Bros Brawl, and i haven't seen blazblue on stores here, not even in Blockbuster. I kinda feel that here is more like an underground game, lots of people doesn't know it, but it awesome.. is this the same in the USA or maybe i just have bad luck. Regard, mates!

Okey! well.. those are very good advices, Many Thanks for it mates! but i still have a few couple of question, hope you can answer them:

1.- what does it mean "BnBs"? I have seen it in many threads, and i'm still wondering what could it be.

2.- Ragna strenght is his range right?, what other strenghts does he have? and weekness.. i have played for a little while, but it seems to me that ragna is underpower or something, i just feel they didn't put much emphasis while make him or programing. Every other character feels like a little more overpower than him, which annoys me. Especially nu and noel! ... Noel more than anyone else!!!! D:<

3. FYI??? What is that?

4. oh yeah, i almost forgot, Inferno divider, Does is it have Invicibility frames? i have seem plenty of people inferno divider throug some of my attacks, it been ticking me off for a couple of days, and when to use it? i have, or at least i think i have figure it out how to use Hell Fangs properly and still working on GH... but i have no clue in how to use ID properly.

Well, another thing that bugs me is, it's not a question, just asking for an opinion, does you guys have many troubles finding competitive player on your city, i don't seem to find anyone who plays blazblue, or at least guilty gear, i have found some but they just play KOF 2002, FPS and Smash Bros Brawl, and i haven't seen blazblue on stores here, not even in Blockbuster. I kinda feel that here is more like an underground game, lots of people doesn't know it, but it awesome.. is this the same in the USA or maybe i just have bad luck.

Regard, mates!

#1: BnB stands for "Bread and Butter" Basic combos like 5B,5C,214A+D. Most basic simple combo that you should use.

#2: Ragna's strenth is his Pressure strings and his combos hurt alot, He's a High-Risk, High Reward type character, And the only thing that I think is underpowered about Ragna is the fact he doesnt have a projectile.

#3: FYI....stands for "For your Information" it's a basic internet acyronym

#4: Inferno Divider has Start-Up invincibity frames. making it have priority over numberous moves. and If they're constantly doing Inferno Divider through your attacks then that means you're obviously doing something very wrong, Inferno Divider is good, but if it whiffs you can punish it harshly.

While running, barrier block. So while running 1A+B or 4A+B.

so while im running (holding 6) immediatly hold 4 or 1 if i see any type of counter attack trying to be pulled out??

ohhh anyone know moves that connect with 5A or 2A?? i find jabs useful against like noel players or other quick players but im not too sure what it can cancel into.

ohhh anyone know moves that connect with 5A or 2A?? i find jabs useful against like noel players or other quick players but im not too sure what it can cancel into.

5A can cancel into 5B and 2A to 2B

etc

its just a gatling

press moar buttons

Dash break, while running 1A+B/4A+B. It lets you block immediately out of running, and stops you so you can see what they're doing and act accordingly.

or dash jumping/double jumping to see how they react.

hey, thanks! Every time (I remember to) dash jump/dash break, it ends up helping immensely.

That is, when I'm not trying something new against a string of three good noel players.

What I did to help my self was to get a note pad and copy down the combos from the DVD that came with the console version of the game. I've been practicing them chiefly. Right now I can do about 5 out of the 10 or so for Ragna. I also have been copying down combos from the site and Kaqn matches. This has helped me build execution very well. I have also been trying to imitate Kaqn strategies... unsuccessfully (End up getting mesmarized by combos). If any one care to fill me in on some of Kaqn's tactics, then I'm all ears.

i reawakened my skill with ragna and in need of someone to help me get my skill up some, i used to go toe to toe with some people but since i ditched tager i ran into some problems with how i fight, but the good thing is i know more combo's. if anyone's down then hit me up.

i reawakened my skill with ragna and in need of someone to help me get my skill up some, i used to go toe to toe with some people but since i ditched tager i ran into some problems with how i fight, but the good thing is i know more combo's. if anyone's down then hit me up.

I'm always up for some matches, and my ragna v ragna skills could use some help. Feel free to hit me up anytime I'm online (GT: FlyingVe).