Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

Good matches today FlyingVe, anything I can improve on besides learning more than one mixup string?

I would ask you the same thing (my mix-up is a little sorry). From where I sit you played really well, and I probably learned more than you.

I would ask you the same thing (my mix-up is a little sorry). From where I sit you played really well, and I probably learned more than you.

Yeah, my problem is just that Ragna's mixup seems a bit bad, at least compared to the rest of the cast. 2B -> 6B only works so many times, and 6C seems to only come out on certain setups during blockstrings. 2D is extremely punishable, IB'd or no and everyone always seems to see GH coming. Not to mention that as soon as Ragna gets pushed away you pretty much can safely block high and not worry about getting hit.

What i've been trying lately is 2Bxn -> 6B once they finally decide to block low, but it's extremely interruptable. Maybe if I can ever perfect doing TK GH on whim I know 3C -> TK GH is a decent mixup and leads to awe inspiring damage if you can do it properly.

Yeah, my problem is just that Ragna's mixup seems a bit bad, at least compared to the rest of the cast. 2B -> 6B only works so many times, and 6C seems to only come out on certain setups during blockstrings. 2D is extremely punishable, IB'd or no and everyone always seems to see GH coming. Not to mention that as soon as Ragna gets pushed away you pretty much can safely block high and not worry about getting hit.

What i've been trying lately is 2Bxn -> 6B once they finally decide to block low, but it's extremely interruptable. Maybe if I can ever perfect doing TK GH on whim I know 3C -> TK GH is a decent mixup and leads to awe inspiring damage if you can do it properly.

I here you ragna's mixup just isn't all that strong, but he is amazing at punishing other characters moves. I played a few round with KojazZ and he had some neat tricks to get through my guard.

1) End strings with 2B. The move has almost no recovery and you can restart you block string. Stuff like 5B,2B....Dash5a/5B/DashThrow

2)Meaty TK GH. I know this is kinda dumb but most most people me included have a habit of blocking low on wake up and given how much distance a GH can cover you can surprise people with it alot.

3) Throws in general are quite good with ragna, while better players are very good at breaking them the risk reward is really good. If you succeed a back throw can net you 4k and if you fail it's just a reset.

Also, it seems to me that IB'ing can really improve ragna's (this is true for any character) game as it renders may moves punishable and ragna is very good at punishment. For example if I could reliably IB Ragna's attacks, 5C, HF, 2D, 3C, and JC become death traps.

One of my biggest weaknesses is my oki game. Anybody have any good advice or tricks?

2B actually has a pretty significant recovery, it's -5 on block. That means it's -10 when IBed, making it punishable by a wide variety of moves. Mostly it's the followup options you have from a blocked 2B that can make your opponent hesitate after blocking it, allowing you to reset your string. But really, you don't get to pressure a lot with Ragna unless you are really gutsy and like taking risks.

1: If you have to do a combo that ends in knockdown, do a 22C if you're in range for guaranteed damage. 2: Don't ever use 6C on neutral wakeup unless you're absolutely sure the second hit will catch them. 3: If you're anticipating a forward techroll, do Dead Spike ahead of time. (not sure if that would ever work due to its slow-ass startup) 4: If you're slightly out of range for 22C, use 2B. You get a free OTG launch into aircombo, the ability to pull a reset off, or just a good excuse to push your opponent into the corner. 5: 2D is bad for oki, because they can tech out of it almost instantly after they get hit by it, and it's not like you ever use that move all the time anyway. This is just what I know of his oki game, I don't know if I missed some. Take it as you will.

hey flyingve any tips for me? oh abel i prefer 2b if they tech roll if they get hit they can tech into a free 6A/

2B actually has a pretty significant recovery, it's -5 on block. That means it's -10 when IBed, making it punishable by a wide variety of moves. Mostly it's the followup options you have from a blocked 2B that can make your opponent hesitate after blocking it, allowing you to reset your string. But really, you don't get to pressure a lot with Ragna unless you are really gutsy and like taking risks.

I hear in general, stopping your strings early helps.

Can't say much about that myself.

I hear in general, stopping your strings early helps.

Can't say much about that myself.

It really depends on your opponent and how you've been conditioning them. The SAFEST way to end strings is with moves that are either unpunishable even with IB (can be rare) or with jump cancellable moves. If you've been doing the same string for a while or your opponent has been paying attention to how you end your strings, stopping them early can throw them off somewhat, but it's situational. In some situations a character can IB your 2B and do a fast invincible move to punish you and there's really not much you can do about it. Example, versus Taokaka who has 50%, you dash up and do 2A-2B and she IBs your 2B then reverses with Hexa Edge, you'll get hit if you just stop (since you're at -10). Even if you cancel into another move, you'll STILL get hit unless you did something with invincibility like ID or BK.

Interesting. I tend to do jB > 5B > 6A > jump > optional double jump. I don't get punished for it often, but I guess that's can be attributed to my opponent rather than myself, right?

yeah...i learned 5A is better in block strings...then again any A attack is good during pressure.

Being random as hell works... (Disclaimer: Sometimes) I try not to get into habits like 5B -> 2B -> 6B.... Throw a Dead Spike in there or 6D -> JC -> j.C -> *insert next random string*

Dead Spike is usually backdashable or can be hit out of on reaction, IIRC. It still seems to be that way in CS. Seriously, Dead Spike can really get you killed sometimes. That's why I said Ragna has to take risks in order to pressure someone continuously. Same with using 6D, if your opponent doesn't pay attention then yeah, you can do 6D-j.D over and over and they'll sit there until their guard gets broken. But anyone who's awake can often jab you out of it or just IB and fuck up your followup pressure. The nice thing about 6D is that once the other guy blocks it, you have a lot of options (sort of). But getting a seasoned player to block that move can be kind of difficult sometimes.

Recently I've been watching the video that came with the Limited edition and im trying to learn the combos any advice?

Learn them, then learn some others.

Recently I've been watching the video that came with the Limited edition and im trying to learn the combos any advice?

Go to Training Mode and turn on the option to display your inputs, from there i suggest you learn how to execute the moves in the most comfortable way possible for you. Just out of curiosity, are you using an arcade stick or a pad?

Hrm, let's see... It seems that in some cases, you have a habit of throwing out slow or otherwise unsafe moves when you're at a stand-off. Like, I could understand a 5B or 6A, but you throw out all sorts of normals and specials and it's almost as if you're hoping the opponent just runs into them. Admittedly, it does work a few times, but still... If you hit with C Inferno Divider mid-screen, there's no reason not to go for the whole 623C -> 236C -> 236C, 5B, 6A (HJC) air combo. Also, on the occasions when you do hit with a full air combo, I see you delaying the Kakato Otoshi at the end for far too long. Kakato Otoshi has an amazing hitbox, it's designed in such a way that it's actually kinda hard to whiff it provided you don't air combo from a dashing jump or a 10-second long combo. Delaying isn't necessary. Try to hit confirm your 6Bs into the appropriate bread and butter combo (6B, 5C, 6C into whatever). I know it may be harder online than offline, but you really need to make your opponent fear 6B so a proper mix-up can come into play. If lag still prevents this, consider this: At the kind of range you were throwing 6B out at, even if they block it and you end up accidentally doing 5C as if you hit, that should give you more than enough time to realise it didn't hit, respond with a 3C and at that distance they'd probably still be forced to block it. Learning when to 3C or 5C appropriately would be best though. If you block a DP, start your punish with 5C. It prorates a damn sight better than 5B and will net you damage in the mid-late 4000s, no joke. If it's something with as long a recovery as Jin's 623C, there shouldn't be any problem with landing it in time. If you're getting Barrier Crashed, Barrier more. While I wouldn't suggest random Hell's Fangs in future, CH Hell's Fang is probably of the easiest moves in the game to hit confirm from, given its colossal amount of hit stun. If someone eats it, make them suffer for it.

Hrm, let's see...

It seems that in some cases, you have a habit of throwing out slow or otherwise unsafe moves when you're at a stand-off. Like, I could understand a 5B or 6A, but you throw out all sorts of normals and specials and it's almost as if you're hoping the opponent just runs into them. Admittedly, it does work a few times, but still...

If you hit with C Inferno Divider mid-screen, there's no reason not to go for the whole 623C -> 236C -> 236C, 5B, 6A (HJC) air combo. Also, on the occasions when you do hit with a full air combo, I see you delaying the Kakato Otoshi at the end for far too long. Kakato Otoshi has an amazing hitbox, it's designed in such a way that it's actually kinda hard to whiff it provided you don't air combo from a dashing jump or a 10-second long combo. Delaying isn't necessary.

Try to hit confirm your 6Bs into the appropriate bread and butter combo (6B, 5C, 6C into whatever). I know it may be harder online than offline, but you really need to make your opponent fear 6B so a proper mix-up can come into play. If lag still prevents this, consider this: At the kind of range you were throwing 6B out at, even if they block it and you end up accidentally doing 5C as if you hit, that should give you more than enough time to realise it didn't hit, respond with a 3C and at that distance they'd probably still be forced to block it. Learning when to 3C or 5C appropriately would be best though.

If you block a DP, start your punish with 5C. It prorates a damn sight better than 5B and will net you damage in the mid-late 4000s, no joke. If it's something with as long a recovery as Jin's 623C, there shouldn't be any problem with landing it in time.

If you're getting Barrier Crashed, Barrier more.

While I wouldn't suggest random Hell's Fangs in future, CH Hell's Fang is probably of the easiest moves in the game to hit confirm from, given its colossal amount of hit stun. If someone eats it, make them suffer for it.

I rather triple ID to a tech game. Rawr

Also Skye a tip for me is to improve on your awareness and reflexes. Dealing with the situation in the best way possible and having your combo 2 support it.

...ultima you said all the things i wanted to say and more. o.o

lol no he didnt, u were sitting at this thread for hours scratching ur ballz thinking of a good peice of advice.

<3

No seriously, thanks guys, everyone but Axis, who never gives me advice on Ragna.

lol no he didnt, u were sitting at this thread for hours scratching ur ballz thinking of a good peice of advice.

<3

No seriously, thanks guys, everyone but Axis, who never gives me advice on Ragna.

i give advice, i say don't do that! use 6A more, 5D is shitty for zoning, block more, stop jumping so much! RUSHDOWN! and stop full screen carnage scissoring.

Except for the 6a part, that's all lies. :kitty: