Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

Poke with 5b more. Don't do carnage scissors ever unless it's a certain matchup or in a combo. Even with meter, carnage scissors is a bad super, people have tons of ways to counter it. Don't do random specials on wake up since they are very risky. You got away with it when you did hell's fang/gauntlet hades and it got you out of oki. But why not do a DP if you think they're going to do some oki stuff. Watch out for every other button/special other then 5B, 5A, and 2A since everything is slow as hell and punishable/whiff punishable. That includes any of the D moves. You were using 6b a little too much, train them with 2b to make them block low before you start throwing out the 6b.

lol I have a quote of you in my sig! Small world, huh? Thanks for the advice.

I've only got a few thoughts. 1) Don't pink throw so much. MacChaos wasn't breaking them a lot but it's still not a great strategy. Wait till you hear that tech noise and tick throw them. 2) This only happened once but don't stand there after a blocked 6C. Jump cancel or cancel into 6D (I'm surprised how often this hits people). 3) This is mostly my opinion but I would always to do the 6C>GH>5B>6A>aircombo when I catch a croucher as opposed to the HF>RC>6D into 22C. The 22C pickup is nice but there's almost 1000 points of difference in damage. These are all just little things though, your ragna is still rock solid and it was a good match. Also, I've heard rumors about the first round of this match...

Yeah, the first match wasn't good :vbang: The reason I was throwing so much was because I know mAc likes to throw counters out. I don't do stuff like that normally.

Yeah, the first match wasn't good :vbang:

The reason I was throwing so much was because I know mAc likes to throw counters out. I don't do stuff like that normally.

Wait...so.. Instead of throwing Green, You threw in purple instead? That, even when someone is mashing D counters, still makes no sense. A decent player isn't going to let you do that. Unless you're online. Then it just might work!

Go for counter throws instead. Use Death Spike. Do some High Low. Revolver Slow. Use more 22C to scare people. Anything but purple throws. Please.

Yeah, the first match wasn't good :vbang:

The reason I was throwing so much was because I know mAc likes to throw counters out. I don't do stuff like that normally.

Good point, I've played him a few times and I can definitely relate...

At least you beat him though.

Wait...so.. Instead of throwing Green, You threw in purple instead? That, even when someone is mashing D counters, still makes no sense. A decent player isn't going to let you do that. Unless you're online. Then it just might work!

Go for counter throws instead. Use Death Spike. Do some High Low. Revolver Slow. Use more 22C to scare people. Anything but purple throws. Please.

Even at the worst, all a throw break is means it's a reset. I was scared to do anything after the first match where all my mixups got stuffed by counters. Besides, if it doesn't work i'm at potentially 0 risk. If it does work, I get 4k+.

I judged that the payoff would be worth it, especially because I know he likes counters. I had quite a few counter throws per match, even if some were purple. It's not as if every match I play it's "LOL, COMBO THROW".

Even at the worst, all a throw break is means it's a reset. I was scared to do anything after the first match where all my mixups got stuffed by counters. Besides, if it doesn't work i'm at potentially 0 risk. If it does work, I get 4k+.

I judged that the payoff would be worth it, especially because I know he likes counters. I had quite a few counter throws per match, even if some were purple. It's not as if every match I play it's "LOL, COMBO THROW".

If your Mixup is gettin' caught by counters, Revolver slow. When you see the counter come up, 2C. Try Enjoying your 4k that way. Its a bit more reliable. You make them stop throwing counters. And you look cool. You get in their head. Oh, the the wake game after would be in your favor too, right? Why reset anything when you can still be on the offensive? Just something I don't get.

But hey, what do I know? Maybe Mac is just one hell of a counter-er! Can see into the future and stuff when his fingers on the D Button. White Void Style~

:du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du: :du: I would have broken some of those throws but I was already sent for a loop by some of his attempts to throw me off... most Ragna's combo after 22C, not grab, so I wasn't ready to throw break. I thought he did pretty good. :P Also I don't just mash D. :P I am SECRETLY on YOMI LAYER 9549854948

:du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du::du: :du:

I would have broken some of those throws but I was already sent for a loop by some of his attempts to throw me off... most Ragna's combo after 22C, not grab, so I wasn't ready to throw break.

I thought he did pretty good. :P Also I don't just mash D. :P I am SECRETLY on YOMI LAYER 9549854948

After a certain number of hits Mac, Hell's can't combo end at the end of 22C. Go learn that number. It will make life a bit easier for ya. No Ragna in their right mind would skip the block string and go right to the Hell's -4 frame Disadvantage. And on Hakumen, it would be as easy as hittin D+BC at the right time. It would void a Grab and His 623C at the same time. Haku gets a Win/Tie while Ragna is stuck with a Lose/Tie. Since you like counters so much, i'm sure you'd take advantage of that.

And i'm not saying Proto did bad. I'm sure he could never do HORRIBLE, mind you. But he'd be better, imo, "If". Replacing, AHAHAH, LUCKY PURPLE with a Tech Trap or something is a better move 100 % of the time. Imo.

Also, I didn't play in that tourney, so i'm just some watcher scrub that like to think he knows what he's talking about atm.

Hey, another Ragna looking for a bit of help from you guys. I kind of stopped playing BB for about 3-4 months, and came back about a week ago. I had a pretty good Nu at the time, and a decent Ragna, but I kind of suck now. Dropping basic combos and whatnot. i

I've got a few videos here from the past week. Am I salvageable? Any tips, blatant flaws I should correct, subtle things I should implement, and everything in between, are greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAuBRkJUTz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_ea35CcKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLMGW_u4OXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ARVW1DERSM

Don't be so throw happy. Even green throws get really predictable if you constantly use them every few hits. Go low some more, use 22C more, try not to use deadspike as much, most people will punish you for evern trying it. Also, don't be afraid to start pressure as opposed to waiting for your opponent to screw up.

Don't be so throw happy. Even green throws get really predictable if you constantly use them every few hits.

Go low some more, use 22C more, try not to use deadspike as much, most people will punish you for even trying it.

Also, don't be afraid to start pressure as opposed to waiting for your opponent to screw up.

I know that I'm ridiculously addicted to Dead Spike, I'll work on that. I tend to throw more often against Bang and Hakumen to discourage their drives, but I'll try not to go for them so often too.

As far as lows, what would you suggest? I like 2D, but I find it difficult to get in range for 2B and 3C, and 6C isn't safe. Any tips on making 2B and 3C work?

As for the pressure, again, I tend to worry about eating Bang/Hakumen drives and Tager's reversal 360s. I'll see how much I can keep the pressure on while still saying safe.

Thanks for the input!

5B>5C>6C if you like or end it with hells fang or better yet lay off and rush in again, you can also use 6D>J.D and use the momentum to use 5B.

Posting this here for advice/feedback/chewing out, yeah I made a lot of mistakes.

Me VS Sophisticat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVWuq1gAoTc

IAD more, doing the back jump delay airdash is what every person with a reliable AA wants.

should hit confirm your hell's fang more, going for the two hits every time leaves a large opening

I know it's a bad habit to get out of, but using carnage scissors as a wakeup reversal distortion is a terrible idea, try using blood kain or RC ID

I dunno if it's something you're used to but against crouching opponents always try to open up a space for 6C combos, if you don't know them, learn them, they're a really great way to get in crouching opponent damage.

don't always dash cancel 5D, mix it up with letting them block 5D(1)-death spike, it'll throw people off and if you're lucky land as a counter for a juicier combo

Back throw should always lead to GH-5B-etc. on everyone, it always lands more damage than jumping straight into an air loop

hope these helped

Self improvement? Sounds like my kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8r0355gbjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGk7wztI5k&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRZXPnbvTA&feature=channel

My biggest threats online...the last one is particularly painful. Felt like I was being played with.

Self improvement? Sounds like my kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8r0355gbjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGk7wztI5k&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRZXPnbvTA&feature=channel

My biggest threats online...the last one is particularly painful. Felt like I was being played with.

my eyes bled watching that.

let me go over the general things you should be doing.

1. stop using hells fang so much! its not the go to move of the day, i see you use it way too much.

2. jump more, and i mean it, you have good air pokes too, use em.

3. mix it up please, your lucky the tager and rachel are weaksauce or playing like that takes you to a early grave.

be cautious and works your way in and learn your combo's i seen you throw away more damaging opportunities for less awarding options.

its so much more to say but i'm trying to find something to relieve the pain....

p.s. use 5D alot less.

my eyes bled watching that.

let me go over the general things you should be doing.

1. stop using hells fang so much! its not the go to move of the day, i see you use it way too much.

2. jump more, and i mean it, you have good air pokes too, use em.

3. mix it up please, your lucky the tager and rachel are weaksauce or playing like that takes you to a early grave.

be cautious and works your way in and learn your combo's i seen you throw away more damaging opportunities for less awarding options.

its so much more to say but i'm trying to find something to relieve the pain....

p.s. use 5D alot less.

You know I was expecting a response like this, and I still laughed.

In response:

1. I use Hell's Fang as a safe dash, seeing as I still have issues with dashing. It started to become second instinct. I really had no idea I was using it that much.

2. I have been practicing air combos and such, but my Haku-Men ways are starting to interfere here. I only use j.B though I know that j.C. is pretty damn dangerous in itself.

3. Right now I'm still trying to learn effective combos. More often than not, I end up having to go Blood Kain and spamming all his D techniques for a quick kill. One combo I've been trying is one I keep seeing from other Ragnas.

6A -> j.C -> j.D -> 623C -> 236C -> 236C.

I'm sure its longer than that, but that's the most I've felt comfortable to do before.

And I'm sorry that was such a pain to you. I appreciate the critique though so thank you.

P.S. I'll try.

Hell's Fang is not a "safe dash", you can get punished if they Instant Block it. That's why you shouldn't whore it out. Wasn't sure if you knew that.

True. I guess its better to call it "safer dash", because me just taking little steps before I get the dash going isn't safe or effective for combos.

*feels like a complete noob right now*

You can cancel dashes with Barrier Guard. There's really nothing unsafe about dashing if you know when to do it and how to do it.

Sadly I really don't. Just another thing to practice huh?

If your going to continue using hell's fang, you should add some mixup to it. Since it's a -frame advantage on block, and most opponents know this, there are a few ways to take advantage of this. 1.) Hells Fang - No followup, 5b ~ mixup Risky, but useful if you've trained them to block the second hit. 2.) Hells Fang ~ Immediate followup This is how you train them to block. This is super-risky though, and there are better options. 3.) Hells Fang - No followup, Rapid Cancel into 6d ~ mixup 4.) Hells Fang ~ Follwup ~ Rapid Cancel into 6d ~ mixup Slightly risky, if you think they may do something to try to hit you, use 5b instead of 6d. 5.) Hells Fang - Inferno Divider Extremely risky, and not very high payoff. But if you know you're going to get punished otherwise, may be to gamble to make. 6.) Hells Fang - Inferno Divider - Rapid Cancel ~ j.D - 5b ~ mixup Consumed meter, but very off-putting when a Ragna player starts using his heat to make his stupid-unsafe moves safe...an easy way to land solid combos. All these assume the original Hell's Fang is blocked. If it's not, followup on regular hit, or go into a combo on counter-hit (as the hit stun is enormous)