Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

how about backdash, it makes ragna invincible at the start...something seon told me. safest thing off a normal blocked hells fang is backdash, if IB'd prepare to take a hit.

how about backdash, it makes ragna invincible at the start...something seon told me.

safest thing off a normal blocked hells fang is backdash

I would disagree that backdashing is the "safest" option. Blocking is the safest. Backdash can work to dodge stuff but you will get hit by longer range moves that last long enough to hit your vulnerable part of the backdash. It is one of your better options after blocked HF though, just have to be careful with it.

The vast majority of the info on dustloop is geared towards people who are already experts, or at least competitive with the game and characters. I haven't played any fighters seriously since SF:Alpha 3, and that is making things very difficult. After getting this one (finally) for Christmas, I trained up some and went online. I think I'm maybe 2-25 right now? :yaaay: Sometimes I feel as if I were playing 1v1 basketball against Kobe.

Anyway, I've found the that "Basic: Character 101"-style threads on dustloop leave out some really crucial strategy information like you can find in this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rJbY7sTCM

I highly recommend watching this to improve your Ragna for beginning players. This has helped me understand a few key things that expert players take for granted. Knowing a few basic combos and command move priorities, etc is all well and good, but nobody on here has told me how to properly pressure an opponent, or how to break through their strings, etc... That is the stuff us beginners really need to know.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody like it helped me.

I would disagree that backdashing is the "safest" option. Blocking is the safest. Backdash can work to dodge stuff but you will get hit by longer range moves that last long enough to hit your vulnerable part of the backdash. It is one of your better options after blocked HF though, just have to be careful with it.

Yeah. If I remember right, Ragna's backdash invincibility is 4 frames(same as Nu's?), so you can kinda play the odds a lil bit with a Block'd Hell Fang with it being -4 on block in most cases. Sometimes you'll end up outta position to get combo'd if hit, others you can use the -4 to your advantage and dodge a quick Jab or poke. But eh. All that being said, Its 50/50. Its something to try...maybe... But it usually will come down to block or 623C. And I'mma fan of blocking.

Backdashes aren't bad. You just have to know when you use them, T.B. Ragna has an alright one just like most of the cast.

Ragnarök. Hell's Fang to grabs loses to jabs and much more. You're -4. I think his throw is like 7 or something. That gives them 11 frames to catch you with something. Another Ragna could 5B you outta your throw attempt.

Hey guys, im a noobie that is trying to get back into BB by playing BBCS at the arcades, and i was wondering what would be some ways to approach opponents and keep pressure on them? the biggest problem i have is approaching them and getting into melee range, and keeping them from jumping back/away from me. any tips/help would be appreciated.

Hey guys, im a noobie that is trying to get back into BB by playing BBCS at the arcades, and i was wondering what would be some ways to approach opponents and keep pressure on them? the biggest problem i have is approaching them and getting into melee range, and keeping them from jumping back/away from me. any tips/help would be appreciated.

Falling spaced jC dash 5B or 5/2A is nice. can be DP'd or thrown (if you mess up)

Does ragna have any frame traps to add to his pressure game?

when they jump away, does that open them up for 6D? does ragna have any reliable 1-4 frame holes to catch jumps? im not sure if you can get much of a follow up on 6D but since its air unblockable that can help :(

Falling spaced jC dash 5B or 5/2A is nice. can be DP'd or thrown (if you mess up)

when they jump away, does that open them up for 6D? does ragna have any reliable 1-4 frame holes to catch jumps? im not sure if you can get much of a follow up on 6D but since its air unblockable that can help :(

6D can catch someone jumping but I don't think it catches barrier jumps, then again if you're playing CS IABB isn't that great anymore

frame traps come after aerial IDs if they try to roll and you jc, causes them to mid-air tech and you can aim for an unblockable if they don't see it coming

also there are a large amount of strings with GH ending which(in my opinion) is your best reset for air ub or tech grabs.

pretty sure DS can catch someone trying to roll from corner-to you, haven't tested if it combos into anything though

pretty sure DS can catch someone trying to roll from corner-to you, haven't tested if it combos into anything though

on Ch it combo's to 5C which can do some nice damage 5B might work but DS to 5C has so much good damage going for it.

You can combo from a regular DS. The only condition is that the opponent has to be almost right next to you for it to work.

Dead Spike > 5A > 5B > 6A > JC/HJC > aerial

Don't remember the damage, but it should be 2500 ~ 3000, if not above 3000.

pretty sure DS on a roll=bounce, not CH ;]

lol i just said on CH.

on roll bounce i doubt it combo's :(

edit: 5B?

If dead spike catches someone's tech roll, you can get the combo KayEff posted. It's pretty picky with the range though.

You can combo from a regular DS. The only condition is that the opponent has to be almost right next to you for it to work.

Dead Spike > 5A > 5B > 6A > JC/HJC > aerial

Don't remember the damage, but it should be 2500 ~ 3000, if not above 3000.

Will this work on CS too?

So i should ALWAYS dash after an air move? wow what the f*ck have i been doing all this time...

So i should ALWAYS dash after an air move?

Not necessarily, it just gets you close enough to the opponent in that situation.

For approaching, make use of dash break (barrier block while running) and jumps/double jumps. Dash 5A/2A can hit people out of stuff and help get you in too. Basically, watch the opponent carefully for a chance to get in/get a whiff punish, while moving in safely.

6D can get people for jumping back unless they barrier block, or you can try air throwing them, it may discourage them from doing it so much.

How do i get in on hakumen? everytime i try the dash break as mentioned above, i eat a 4c or a 3c from hakumen, and if i go from the air he does 2c > 5a so i cant punish it.. =/

How do i get in on hakumen? everytime i try the dash break as mentioned above, i eat a 4c or a 3c from hakumen, and if i go from the air he does 2c > 5a so i cant punish it.. =/

For character specific questions, you should head to the match-up thread.

But as a basic tip, don't try to rush him. He will make you eat that massive billard stick of his if you do.

Hakumen usually approaches by air. 6A is a wonderful anti-air. Introduce him to it.

For character specific questions, you should head to the match-up thread.

But as a basic tip, don't try to rush him. He will make you eat that massive billard stick of his if you do.

Hakumen usually approaches by air. 6A is a wonderful anti-air. Introduce him to it.

I think he's talking about CS Hakumen, and there's a general difference between CT Haku and CS Haku for semi-obvious reasons.

I think he's talking about CS Hakumen, and there's a general difference between CT Haku and CS Haku for semi-obvious reasons.

Oh. In that case, completely ignore the previous post.

Yes, i play BBCS ragna, i havent played BBCT in 5 months =/ so yea. 6a is too unreliable imo=/ i get alot of clashes and it screws up my combos =/ i would ID but the hakumen's here bait it.. so i guess the only decent option is to wait for him to come to me?