dot_Nova

Potemkin Video Critique Thread - HOW DO I HOLD THESE BUSTERS

Post a videos of your matches for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM on how to improve on gameplay.

The more matches you post, the more help people can give on your gameplay and on matchups.

Have on open mind when receiving suggestions, we're all only trying to help.

Don't be shy. If you're having trouble, odds are someone else is having the same problem too.

https://youtu.be/TA4Vts2kG3Q

Having horrible issues against Sol. I'm having difficulty finding ways to attack him once he's on 5S range. I only realized just now that I'm probably playing too conservatively.

That awkward moment when you watch a video intending to give constructive crtiscism only to realize the person is better than you.....

With that said, one thing I'm sure you know you need to work on are your safe jumps, Potemkin makes up for his weak neutral with a solid oki game, but your opponent never had to deal with that because of VV. So if nothing else, I'd recommend working on those, I personally don't really know the timing, I think you delay for a few seconds then regular jump S and it should safe jump, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Other than that I don't know much else about the match-up, the Sol I play against isn't exactly machaboo so I wouldn't take anything that works against him as legit. I would recommend throwing out a few more hammerfalls, especially if you notice sol starts getting confident with the fafnirs.

Two questions though, one: why do you hammerfall break instead of letting it rip during the c.S, 2.S, 6.K, hammerfall combo? You went for it a couple times against the Sol and he always jumped out so is there a reason you kept going for it? And the second question is how do you manage to pot buster people out of jump ins so frequently? I'd really like to add that to my game. Is there like a height that they are at that makes you realize it's a buster? Or is it an instant block thing?

With Sol, a lot of your damage is going to be from footsies and basic combo -> 2D stuff.

- What were all the 6P's on his wakeup for?

- Fafnir is +2 on block and on IB is -2. PB is 3f startup so it's not fast enough to punish him.

- Flick gunflame if he's not YRC'ing it. Megafist forward is also an option.

- 2D > sj is not a safe jump. Do a regular jump forward.

- Do more solid combos. Opt for the knockdown rather than the PB. Same with pressure, I almost never try to do PB stuff if Sol is willing to DP like a madman.

- Don't always try to bait DP with BD. Just block it, backstepping gives up all your momentum and gives them 21 frames to do anything.

- When falling into him, expect him to be ready with an antiair. j.D will beat all of his antiairs and make it more difficult to throw you as your hurtbox is shifted upwards. Or just FD into him to guarantee you won't get hit. Don't just try to contest with falling j.H. Also, in GG, the person below you has throw priority if you're both in the air so don't try to throw him when he's trying to throw you either. Tech in a direction he wouldn't expect or late neutral tech as closely to the floor as you can.

- Try not to whiff punish S normals with jump-ins, he can DP very easily. Instead, whiff punish moves with 5H if you're out of fafnir range. Jump-in whiff punish H moves and gunflame (if he has no meter or doesn't tend to YRC) and wildthrow is fine though. Fafnir is very very difficult to whiff punish however as you only have 15 frames to jump, fall, and j.H.

- Use your other normals to poke. Learn Sol and Pot's spacings, like if you're in range for 2P, what moves can he do that are also in range and how fast are they compared to your normal? Don't spend all of your efforts into trying to counter what he's doing and reacting to big specials, throw some moves out there, force him to play footsies as Pot's normals are much longer.

(Good moves at midrange: f.S, 2D [it is very difficult for him to punish 2D], flick, Close in: max range 2P (if you're charging and he blocks 2P then tries to DP you'll be blocking or you can go into solid pressure)

A giant thing I noticed is that you've never moved forward outside of jumping into him or HF. Charging is important but so is knowing when to walk forward and poke rather than walk backwards into the corner. Be more willing to contest him so he doesn't get away with throwing out anything he wants for free. Like at 6:38 to 6:49, jumping backwards to avoid gunflame is not recommended. Eventually you kept moving backwards until you put yourself in the corner.

https://youtu.be/u57qXK17380?t=5m39s 

Notice with FAB vs this Sol, practically all his damage is from footsies and defensive PBs and is only jumping in the air to meet the Sol in the air as well. Because he jumped later, he's below him giving him air throw priority and prevents Sol from getting jump-in pressure and gimmicks (kudakero > YRC).

Once he's in and is pressuring/gets a combo, instead of trying to push his advantage, he's playing very safely and is being as solid as possible since Sol's 5K is fast, 2D goes under EVERYTHING (even hammerfall) and DP is a big threat.

Playing solid gives him more of a surprise factor when he finally goes for the PB or hammerfall gimmicks.

Nitpicky stuff:

4:38 and 4:58:- practice safe jumps so you won't have to jump in and FD giving up pressure/ free hit if he misses reversal timing.

3:05 and 6:27 - 2D beats fafnir and so does hammerfall (he didn't have meter so let it rip)

5:46 - the combo after heat extend is RC > s.J forward/megafist forward whiff > 6H etc. 

6:11 - try to not slidehead after burst. It's not a good habit and is very unsafe.

With that said, one thing I'm sure you know you need to work on are your safe jumps

2D > sj is not a safe jump. Do a regular jump forward.

4:38 and 4:58:- practice safe jumps so you won't have to jump in and FD giving up pressure/ free hit if he misses reversal timing.

I sowwy, more than half of my 1st safejump attempts were fail and then I lost it and made the safejumps worse by super jumping (desperate reflex, totally aware it isn't safejump against sol) or pussying out and fd-ing instead of the jS or jH meaty.

I would recommend throwing out a few more hammerfalls, especially if you notice sol starts getting confident with the fafnirs.

Fafnir is +2 on block and on IB is -2. PB is 3f startup so it's not fast enough to punish him.

3:05 and 6:27 - 2D beats fafnir and so does hammerfall (he didn't have meter so let it rip)

Ayyy, I should have looked this up. I've relied too much on IBing fafnir then buster on netplay without realizing it's not a true punish. I'll go with the hammerfall from now on if he gets too spammy.

Two questions though, one: why do you hammerfall break instead of letting it rip during the c.S, 2.S, 6.K, hammerfall combo? You went for it a couple times against the Sol and he always jumped out so is there a reason you kept going for it?

I'm just monkeying what the cool kids from japan are doing these days. 2S,6K,hammerf frequently drops if the opponent is standing and if pushed too far so they opt to reset it with hammerfbreak then rock, paper, scissor with heat, 6H or buster. Then I realized it's probably not a great idea against sol.

And the second question is how do you manage to pot buster people out of jump ins so frequently? I'd really like to add that to my game. Is there like a height that they are at that makes you realize it's a buster? Or is it an instant block thing?

I liek to IB as much as I can then frequently input potbusters while on the defense like your typical drooling zangief or tager spinning the stick. I wonder if someone here will catch on my fraud and blows me up for it.

What were all the 6P's on his wakeup for?

embarassing failbusters

- With Sol, a lot of your damage is going to be from footsies and basic combo -> 2D stuff.

- Use your other normals to poke. Learn Sol and Pot's spacings, like if you're in range for 2P, what moves can he do that are also in range and how fast are they compared to your normal? Don't spend all of your efforts into trying to counter what he's doing and reacting to big specials, throw some moves out there, force him to play footsies as Pot's normals are much longer.

- (Good moves at midrange: f.S, 2D [it is very difficult for him to punish 2D], flick, Close in: max range 2P (if you're charging and he blocks 2P then tries to DP you'll be blocking or you can go into solid pressure)

- Do more solid combos. Opt for the knockdown rather than the PB. Same with pressure, I almost never try to do PB stuff if Sol is willing to DP like a madman.

- Don't always try to bait DP with BD. Just block it, backstepping gives up all your momentum and gives them 21 frames to do anything.

- Flick gunflame if he's not YRC'ing it. Megafist forward is also an option.

- When falling into him, expect him to be ready with an antiair. j.D will beat all of his antiairs and make it more difficult to throw you as your hurtbox is shifted upwards. Or just FD into him to guarantee you won't get hit. Don't just try to contest with falling j.H. Also, in GG, the person below you has throw priority if you're both in the air so don't try to throw him when he's trying to throw you either. Tech in a direction he wouldn't expect or late neutral tech as closely to the floor as you can.

- A giant thing I noticed is that you've never moved forward outside of jumping into him or HF. Charging is important but so is knowing when to walk forward and poke rather than walk backwards into the corner. Be more willing to contest him so he doesn't get away with throwing out anything he wants for free. Like at 6:38 to 6:49, jumping backwards to avoid gunflame is not recommended. Eventually you kept moving backwards until you put yourself in the corner.

- Try not to whiff punish S normals with jump-ins, he can DP very easily. Instead, whiff punish moves with 5H if you're out of fafnir range. Jump-in whiff punish H moves and gunflame (if he has no meter or doesn't tend to YRC) and wildthrow is fine though. Fafnir is very very difficult to whiff punish however as you only have 15 frames to jump, fall, and j.H.

6:11 - try to not slidehead after burst. It's not a good habit and is very unsafe.

Notice with FAB vs this Sol, practically all his damage is from footsies and defensive PBs and is only jumping in the air to meet the Sol in the air as well. Because he jumped later, he's below him giving him air throw priority and prevents Sol from getting jump-in pressure and gimmicks (kudakero > YRC).

Once he's in and is pressuring/gets a combo, instead of trying to push his advantage, he's playing very safely and is being as solid as possible since Sol's 5K is fast, 2D goes under EVERYTHING (even hammerfall) and DP is a big threat.

Playing solid gives him more of a surprise factor when he finally goes for the PB or hammerfall gimmicks.

Thanks, I'll implement proactively ground poking next week. A lot of things here are an eye opener for me like (gasp!) simply walking forward and teching properly. I did wonder why I always ended up cornered with full life. I also realized that my groundgame is now pretty bad since I never used pokes outside of 2P and 5H as sort of playing conservatively while at the same time gambling too much on jH.

5:46 - the combo after heat extend is RC > s.J forward/megafist forward whiff > 6H etc.

I'm sowwy, I'm actually aware that's the correct combo. I just became into a drooling idiot hoping that he would burst so I did 5S jump cancel to bait it but he didn't burst.

- Regarding PB on their wakeup, there are 9 frames after they wakeup in which they're throw invul. So a PB on an opponent's wakeup should only be done when you've conditioned your opponent into thinking you're going to do a normal instead (so save it for once per round/match). But yeah you're right, it's very risky against characters with DPs.

- Try to get used to spacings for 2S > 6K combo. After doing it enough, you'll know when it'll combo for knockdown and when you should opt for 2D instead. On Sol, I don't recommend doing 6K because it's easy for him to DP after HFB. 6K > HFB on block is +3 and Pot 2P is 7f startup meaning there's a 4 frame gap in which your opponent can do something (like 5K and DP).

Regarding PB after 6K

Keep in mind, if it hits there's 6 frames after hitstun in which they're throw invul so:

6K is lv 4 move = 19f hitstun

HFB = 15f total

19 - 15 + 6 = 10 frames in which they're throw invul meaning (if you're frame perfect) you can PB at frame 8. That gives your opponent plenty of time to recognize HFB and BD/jumpout/DP because people aren't frame perfect.

Damage + knockdown > PB. Rarely will there be a situation where PB is a risk you should be willing to take (game ending/6K route finisher won't be enough to kill)

On block there's 5f after blockstun is over in which they're throw invul so:

6K is lv 4 move = 18f blockstun

HFB = 15f total

18 - 15 + 5 = 8 frames in which they're throw invul meaning (if you're frame perfect) you can PB at frame 6.

After 6K > HFB, 2P is best to keep momentum. f.S is also good to clip short BDs (if your opponent BD's after 6K, f.S comes out). PB is good after conditioning your opponent into thinking you're going to try to do something else.

Sorry for bombarding you with info. I figured it's a good time to introduce some math/stuff to keep in mind for all players in general.

BTW, after heat extend in corner after ANY combo, RC > super jump forward > 6H > trishula > heat fist might be burst safe during trishula. It might depend on their weight as the higher they are the more likely this'll be correct. Will be a good idea to lab this so you won't have to hard bait a burst.

For combos with only 1-3 hits before heat fist > extend (like the one in the video), for max damage, you can do sj/megafist foward whiff > 6H > HFB > 6K > delay a bit > trishula > heat. (It does a lot of damage and is especially worth it if their risc gauge is cranked up even in the slightest).

there's 6 frames after hitstun in which they're throw invul
On block there's 5f after blockstun is over in which they're throw invul

Oh fuck, I did not know there was more throw invul outside of hit/blok stun. I was banking that the throw invuls would run out during the startup of their mash out and grab them before their hitboxes show up. Any chance that they forfeit that invul if they press buttons? Wait, fuck that, this isn't smash bros.

After 6K > HFB, 2P is best to keep momentum. f.S is also good to clip short BDs (if your opponent BD's after 6K, f.S comes out). PB is good after conditioning your opponent into thinking you're going to try to do something else.

Ok, I'll do that on every matchup from now on. I guess I'll try to do 2P > 6K if they're passive or something delayed like 2P > FDB / delayed 5H to for the mashers.

BTW, after heat extend in corner after ANY combo, RC > super jump forward > 6H > trishula > heat fist might be burst safe during trishula.

Thanks, that sounds really interesting since trishula is a hillarious low profile. I'll test that out later.

If you don't mind could you guys also take a look at my matches against his zato:
https://youtu.be/4nubaLipLDE

These games occured on the same day so please don't mind the bad play that I haven't corrected yet. What I'm trying to figure out is how to mitigate his corner pressure where he repeatedly unsummons and resummons to replenish some eddie meter. So is it recommended to IB it all until he totally runs out of eddie meter?

Keep in mind, this MU is terrible and everything I'll be listing requires a lot of practice and just getting used to playing against Zato.

About Summon and Unsummon

Summon is 38 frames but Eddie can do an action at frame 10. But also keep in mind his shadow moves have startup and the startups are much longer if he's doing a direct summon instead of summon > move.

Eddie recall is 29 frames.

When he summons, if you're already mashing 2P you'll hit Eddie. If he recalls, there's a lot of things you can do to punish.

FD Zato to push him away while trying to normal block/IB Eddie. Can also try to BD/fuzzy jump/megafist back after blocking Eddie to avoid getting command thrown or get out of pressure.

Learn what normals Zato has to do in order to make Eddie pressure frame tight and get used to what options he has to do to open you up.

Pay attention to Eddie meter so you know what options he's allowed to do and what combos he's allowed to go for since they all cost a certain amount of meter.

For example:

Eddie P is lv 1(11f blockstun) so Zato needs to do a move while grounded because there's not enough blockstun to do a jump-in safely. Also, because there's so little blockstun, he needs to do a move that'll keep you on the ground and also give Eddie enough time to recover for another attack. Most Zato's opt for 2K or 2P > 2K since it's fast and +3 giving him time to dash forward to keep the gap closed.

In General (Aside from the stuff I told you about the Sol vid)

- Calm down and be patient when he's far away and making you block. After drill, if Eddie isn't out, there is nothing he can do besides summon. If he does do drill, regardless of distance, spot check for Eddie with 2P. If he summons, Eddie comes out and your 2P will hit. Else, you'll get a 2P whiff. He can delay the summon but doing so partially gives up his momentum.

If Eddie is out: 2P, 2D, megafist back to kill it.

- Slidehead is really hard to get on Zato because of flight and drill so use it sparingly. Mostly approach by walking/hammerfall YRC(if he's within range). Just use your judgement when trying to slidehead because the time you spend trying to knock him down is time you can spend getting closer ESPECIALLY if he has no Eddie available. Zato doesn't want anything to do with Pot without Eddie gauge so they'll usually try to stall or fish for a drill.

- Go ham on offense and YRC your jump-ins during his reversal timings to throw off his blitz shields. 

Tips

- Zato pressure without Eddie is usually .... > 2S > drill > summon or .... > 5H > drill > summon.

1. If he does 2S > drill, it's not frame tight you can megafist over. However, he can punish by doing summon > S instead of drill.

2. Do 2P to Eddie check after blocking drill

3. Backdash after blocking drill. If he does anything but shadow > K you'll dodge it.

4. Hammerfall after blocking 2S or 5H. You'll eat the hit and punish him. He can YRC the drill and punish you but he will have to be already trying to do so to punish you.

Specific Nitpicking:

16:48 - you can't PB people in reject state. Counts as hitstun so you can't grab them. If you were trying to bait his blitz, watch his meter next time.

16:50 -  Hard to recognize, but you should be able to 6P/blitz his IAD j.S after blocking Eddie P. (I'm 90% sure on this, lab it to make sure though)

18:36 - You could've RC'd and killed

18:50 - PB OS is really handy here. Input PB right before your j.H lands. If he blocks j.H, PB won't come out but if he backdashes, you'll PB him during his recovery.

21:00 - You can mash/jump out of that. Direct summon startup of shadow K is 25 frames.

At work right now so can't check out the whole video.

Hey guys so I ran a couple best of 3 sets vs this Milia and I was hoping I could get some feedback. I'm new to potemkin(and guilty gear in general) so a lot of the basic shit(like green blocking after air teching) is still alien to me. So any and all feedback is welcome. Just as an aside though, I don't usually go for that many dusts, this guy just has issues blocking them so I kept going for them.

The matches are at 8:00 and at 22:07, I am both excited and worried about hearing your feedback:

hi jack d ripr, first excuse if my grammar it's weird i am not a native english speaker.
i watched your matches and have to say you have a solid defense, you are aware on blocking millia's 6k and you are trying to just defense, keep doing that
what you need improve it's your offense, try to do potemkin buster sets ups more like 2p/2k potemkin buster more also use the 6k pressure to keep the momentum and punish her options to escape from that (back dash, jump), also you can improve your damage potential for example use 5k meaty and after a 2s do 6k>hammer fall instead simply 2d.
i think you can improve that things easily if you still playing, good luck.  

Hi, I'm pretty useless but I watch a lot of fights, so take the advice for what it's worth.
- in the first matches there seemed to be too many HF's thrown out in hope. This got became less of an issue as the matches went on though.
- your HF Break is too short, leading you to be too far away from the opponent, especially when you've done the hard work of getting them knocked down.
- you tend to down back a lot. I do this too, and I think it's like a street fighter syndrome, waiting to react to your opponent. GG is a different beast and you need to seize momentum. Attack!
- related to the previous point, try to control the space on front of you. Instead of waiting to react to the opponent, throw out some normals and don't allow the opponent a free run in or jump in. If you watch FAB (and I know you do) he's always doing something.

Other than that, some good blocking (which is important for Pot I feel) and when you do apply pressure it looks FAB-like. Just need to see more of it as you knocked down the opponent a lot.

Anyway good stuff. A lot of potential there!

hi jack d ripr, first excuse if my grammar it's weird i am not a native english speaker.
i watched your matches and have to say you have a solid defense, you are aware on blocking millia's 6k and you are trying to just defense, keep doing that
what you need improve it's your offense, try to do potemkin buster sets ups more like 2p/2k potemkin buster more also use the 6k pressure to keep the momentum and punish her options to escape from that (back dash, jump), also you can improve your damage potential for example use 5k meaty and after a 2s do 6k>hammer fall instead simply 2d.
i think you can improve that things easily if you still playing, good luck.  

Thanks man, ill take that into consideration and definitely start adding in more 6ks into my pressure. You're correct, upon rewatching the video I realized in the entire first set I didn't connect a single pot buster, so that's something ill start putting more practice time into.

Hi, I'm pretty useless but I watch a lot of fights, so take the advice for what it's worth.
- in the first matches there seemed to be too many HF's thrown out in hope. This got became less of an issue as the matches went on though.
- your HF Break is too short, leading you to be too far away from the opponent, especially when you've done the hard work of getting them knocked down.
- you tend to down back a lot. I do this too, and I think it's like a street fighter syndrome, waiting to react to your opponent. GG is a different beast and you need to seize momentum. Attack!
- related to the previous point, try to control the space on front of you. Instead of waiting to react to the opponent, throw out some normals and don't allow the opponent a free run in or jump in. If you watch FAB (and I know you do) he's always doing something.

Other than that, some good blocking (which is important for Pot I feel) and when you do apply pressure it looks FAB-like. Just need to see more of it as you knocked down the opponent a lot.

Anyway good stuff. A lot of potential there!

- Yea I was really nervous that first match so I was just doing stuff and praying it worked.

- Ok, the issue I run into sometimes is I don't break early enough so I whiff a HF over my opponents knocked down body and just lose my oki. But i'll start working on breaking later, thanks for pointing that out, that's one thing that never even crossed my mind.

- I'm still having issues learning how to neutral, which is probably why I play so reactionary. I'm not sure how to begin my own offence, but if say, I see Milia air dashing in at me, least then I know I need to AA. I'll start paying attention to what FAB does in neutral, especially in the Milia match-up because another reason why I play so passive is I'm afraid of whiffing one thing and having her right in my culo.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

First, please mute the sound before watching. Our casters are very loud and kinda annoying, they speak a language you probably don't know anyway. Please apply this to all the videos from the channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxqUJZZqHmI&t=4m48s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgcPcNHK-I&feature=youtu.be&t=3454

These are some best moments stuffs. Since the records we got are still raw and need editing, please  jump back a bit in both video (and maybe watch some other vids in the channel too) and rate this Potemkin. After 3 months lacking a lot of playing time, I now have trouble with the guy as a Faust a player on top of that. Thanks in advance for any feed back, I will give your replies to him later (though he is on this forum too)

Edited by Naka

Disclaimer: It's a tournament and I'm sure the man was nervous so I'm sure he knows a good amount of what I put down here already. I mostly looked for the bad things in his gameplay so I apologize if I mention something incorrect or missed any particular strong points. I need some work in these areas too so take this with a grain of salt.

Offense:

I think his offense for the most part is fine. Against the Leo and early on against the I-no, it looked pretty free as neither of them would do anything while defending and let Pot do whatever he wanted. Neither of them use FD or become proactive against his tick throws. However, once the I-no started to IB and adjust, it put him in bad situations and he never changed his mixup. If you go for PB, try to change the setup into it. Some opponents react to HFB while others will pay attention to the setup you used before then. I also noticed he would try to make a read most of the time at the end of his pressure string. Either opted for heat fist or PB or try to bait a button press. Need to do more solid pressure and vary more often to keep them guessing. Once your opponent is looking to jump or backdash, ending a string with 2D makes them more scared to try something as it results in a knockdown.

Need to vary between j.S and j.H during jump-ins, I don't believe I've saw him use meaty j.H at all. It has more blockstun making it harder for your opponent to jump or backdash out and, because of the hitbox, it will actually catch backdashes of some characters if your jump in was slightly delayed. Also, against characters without DPs, doing 2D > hammerfall close gap > 5K/2K/2P has merit as well as it's much harder to backdash a meaty low and it's much easier to bait a blitz shield. Additionally, since you're on the ground, you have many more options than if you were doing a jump in increasing the risk of doing blitz shield against you.

Don't use 6H all the time as you lose your momentum if they didn't backdash and they get blown across the screen even if they do get hit. Delayed meaty 5K/5H/f.S will catch backdashes just as well. The reward may not be as great but the tradeoffs if they were to block are much less than using 6H.

Try to set up using 5D better, if it's not working as a meaty then try putting in a meaty move > 5D instead. It will definitely throw your opponent off as they'll be looking for a low during your string.

Summary: Adjust your mixup based on how your opponent is reacting and what he is and isn't doing on defense. Conditioning is the key. Explore more offensive options to keep your opponent guessing. If they're not doing anything then by all means keep grabbing them but once they've adjusted start adjusting too. I can nitpick his offense but I believe he's doing a good job and can do an even better one the more explores his options, opponent mentality, and risk/reward.

Defense:

I think his defense was pretty good. Good reactions and very good at blocking especially against the I-no. His anti-airs were also very good. Just needs to pick his backdashes better and know when he can actually PB or when he should continue blocking even after making their jump in whiff. Also, try not to jump all the time after you tech in the air; once you do, your falling will be very predictable and put you in a bad spot. Sometimes it's better to wait until you're close to the ground and neutral tech.

Neutral:

This is the big one. Really needs to play footsies more and need to work on his approaches. His weakness in neutral was really showing against the May player. Relies on slidehead way too much. After a defensive burst, he always HFB > slidehead and was punished for it several times. Also, he needs to spend his meter better. Using YRC to keep your slidehead safe is fine but there's no need if they're across the screen. It's a good tactic to bait your opponent in but use it too much and you'll keep losing meter. I only saw slidehead > YRC work twice(against the I-no and once against the May), other times it was a waste of an action and meter. Like at https://youtu.be/DxgcPcNHK-I?t=58m24s he caught the May but then right after he wasted meter for no reason.

He relied too much on hammerfall in neutral. Sometimes it worked but a majority of the time he spent meter to YRC it or he was punished. Also, using hammerfall > RC on a blocking opponent is not something you ideally want to do to get in. That option is better suited to bait mashing and jumps (ex: 6K > delayed HF > RC). Need to learn which normals are best suited to which MU and distance.

For example, 5H is not good against I-No at mid range as she can go under it but at max range, it keeps her from using HCL and throwing out notes. f.S is good mid range as serves the same purpose max range 5H does but has less startup and gatlings into other moves. Against May, if you're outside of her f.S and 5K range, 5H and 2D are very good moves to poke with. Megafist forward also jumps over her mid range normals and lands a hit as well

Be more content with pushing your opponent to the corner and getting occasional hits rather than spending all your meter getting in as Potemkin's mixup isn't very strong anyways. There will be times where it's worth it however, like if they're in the corner or you're low health and need to get momentum back immediately.

It also looked like you were always trying to do something in neutral. Whether it be using slidehead, hammerfall, jumping towards them while they're on the other side of the screen or jumping and then doing j.P. There is merit to not doing anything in neutral if they're out of range of your moves giving you time to think and react better to what your opponent tries to throw out. I saw him start to slow down against the May which was really good as it got him a couple of slideheads when May would try to set the beachball or dolphin.

Specific stuff:

-Don't try to air to air May. It's impossible. The only time you can get away with it is if they're trying to air dash out of the corner and then you can super jump j.P since there's only one direction she can go in.

-Learn when she has to end her string in dolphin, you can't punish her after blocking the dolphin but you can use hammerfall to eat the dolphin hit and punish her (I saw you doing this near the end of the set to punish vertical dolphin but you can also do this against the horizontal dolphin).

-Try to train yourself to blitz j.2H or jump and block it. It works just like Potemkin's j.D. She can't YRC out of it once she's falling and so it's very easy to punish. If you jump and block it, once you land there is no more blockstun and you can punish her (keep in mind it has 0 landing recovery so PB might not be possible if he's holding up but you'll still be at an advantage)

-Against I-no and May, 2D > super jump > something and throw > jump in meaty are not real. Both of them can easily backdash or mash 6P to punish you. Opt for hammerfall in > meaty instead. HOWEVER, if they don't know this then by all means go ahead and jump in. If they're backdashing rather than mashing 6P, use backdash OS to punish their backdash (2D knockdown> super jump > j.H > input PB > 2K/5K/2P etc.) If they backdash, your PB will come out and punish, else your following move will come out instead. Note: this will only work at certain distances, if they are too far out after 2D knockdown, PB will whiff. You can also do the same OS with less risk using S and K, just replace PB with either button. If they are mashing, you can bait the mash with j.D (try not to resort to this, pick a time to use it once to scare them, use it too much and it's easily punishable)

Summary: I think he's doing very well defensively. A lot of good anti-airs and I think he blocked every dust too. Just needs work on neutral and his approaches and expand his offensive options.

Disclaimer: It's a tournament and I'm sure the man was nervous so I'm sure he knows a good amount of what I put down here already. I mostly looked for the bad things in his gameplay so I apologize if I mention something incorrect or missed any particular strong points. I need some work in these areas too so take this with a grain of salt.

Offense:

I think his offense for the most part is fine. Against the Leo and early on against the I-no, it looked pretty free as neither of them would do anything while defending and let Pot do whatever he wanted. Neither of them use FD or become proactive against his tick throws. However, once the I-no started to IB and adjust, it put him in bad situations and he never changed his mixup. If you go for PB, try to change the setup into it. Some opponents react to HFB while others will pay attention to the setup you used before then. I also noticed he would try to make a read most of the time at the end of his pressure string. Either opted for heat fist or PB or try to bait a button press. Need to do more solid pressure and vary more often to keep them guessing. Once your opponent is looking to jump or backdash, ending a string with 2D makes them more scared to try something as it results in a knockdown.

Need to vary between j.S and j.H during jump-ins, I don't believe I've saw him use meaty j.H at all. It has more blockstun making it harder for your opponent to jump or backdash out and, because of the hitbox, it will actually catch backdashes of some characters if your jump in was slightly delayed. Also, against characters without DPs, doing 2D > hammerfall close gap > 5K/2K/2P has merit as well as it's much harder to backdash a meaty low and it's much easier to bait a blitz shield. Additionally, since you're on the ground, you have many more options than if you were doing a jump in increasing the risk of doing blitz shield against you.

Don't use 6H all the time as you lose your momentum if they didn't backdash and they get blown across the screen even if they do get hit. Delayed meaty 5K/5H/f.S will catch backdashes just as well. The reward may not be as great but the tradeoffs if they were to block are much less than using 6H.

Try to set up using 5D better, if it's not working as a meaty then try putting in a meaty move > 5D instead. It will definitely throw your opponent off as they'll be looking for a low during your string.

Summary: Adjust your mixup based on how your opponent is reacting and what he is and isn't doing on defense. Conditioning is the key. Explore more offensive options to keep your opponent guessing. If they're not doing anything then by all means keep grabbing them but once they've adjusted start adjusting too. I can nitpick his offense but I believe he's doing a good job and can do an even better one the more explores his options, opponent mentality, and risk/reward.

Defense:

I think his defense was pretty good. Good reactions and very good at blocking especially against the I-no. His anti-airs were also very good. Just needs to pick his backdashes better and know when he can actually PB or when he should continue blocking even after making their jump in whiff. Also, try not to jump all the time after you tech in the air; once you do, your falling will be very predictable and put you in a bad spot. Sometimes it's better to wait until you're close to the ground and neutral tech.

Neutral:

This is the big one. Really needs to play footsies more and need to work on his approaches. His weakness in neutral was really showing against the May player. Relies on slidehead way too much. After a defensive burst, he always HFB > slidehead and was punished for it several times. Also, he needs to spend his meter better. Using YRC to keep your slidehead safe is fine but there's no need if they're across the screen. It's a good tactic to bait your opponent in but use it too much and you'll keep losing meter. I only saw slidehead > YRC work twice(against the I-no and once against the May), other times it was a waste of an action and meter. Like at https://youtu.be/DxgcPcNHK-I?t=58m24s he caught the May but then right after he wasted meter for no reason.

He relied too much on hammerfall in neutral. Sometimes it worked but a majority of the time he spent meter to YRC it or he was punished. Also, using hammerfall > RC on a blocking opponent is not something you ideally want to do to get in. That option is better suited to bait mashing and jumps (ex: 6K > delayed HF > RC). Need to learn which normals are best suited to which MU and distance.

For example, 5H is not good against I-No at mid range as she can go under it but at max range, it keeps her from using HCL and throwing out notes. f.S is good mid range as serves the same purpose max range 5H does but has less startup and gatlings into other moves. Against May, if you're outside of her f.S and 5K range, 5H and 2D are very good moves to poke with. Megafist forward also jumps over her mid range normals and lands a hit as well

Be more content with pushing your opponent to the corner and getting occasional hits rather than spending all your meter getting in as Potemkin's mixup isn't very strong anyways. There will be times where it's worth it however, like if they're in the corner or you're low health and need to get momentum back immediately.

It also looked like you were always trying to do something in neutral. Whether it be using slidehead, hammerfall, jumping towards them while they're on the other side of the screen or jumping and then doing j.P. There is merit to not doing anything in neutral if they're out of range of your moves giving you time to think and react better to what your opponent tries to throw out. I saw him start to slow down against the May which was really good as it got him a couple of slideheads when May would try to set the beachball or dolphin.

Specific stuff:

-Don't try to air to air May. It's impossible. The only time you can get away with it is if they're trying to air dash out of the corner and then you can super jump j.P since there's only one direction she can go in.

-Learn when she has to end her string in dolphin, you can't punish her after blocking the dolphin but you can use hammerfall to eat the dolphin hit and punish her (I saw you doing this near the end of the set to punish vertical dolphin but you can also do this against the horizontal dolphin).

-Try to train yourself to blitz j.2H or jump and block it. It works just like Potemkin's j.D. She can't YRC out of it once she's falling and so it's very easy to punish. If you jump and block it, once you land there is no more blockstun and you can punish her (keep in mind it has 0 landing recovery so PB might not be possible if he's holding up but you'll still be at an advantage)

-Against I-no and May, 2D > super jump > something and throw > jump in meaty are not real. Both of them can easily backdash or mash 6P to punish you. Opt for hammerfall in > meaty instead. HOWEVER, if they don't know this then by all means go ahead and jump in. If they're backdashing rather than mashing 6P, use backdash OS to punish their backdash (2D knockdown> super jump > j.H > input PB > 2K/5K/2P etc.) If they backdash, your PB will come out and punish, else your following move will come out instead. Note: this will only work at certain distances, if they are too far out after 2D knockdown, PB will whiff. You can also do the same OS with less risk using S and K, just replace PB with either button. If they are mashing, you can bait the mash with j.D (try not to resort to this, pick a time to use it once to scare them, use it too much and it's easily punishable)

Summary: I think he's doing very well defensively. A lot of good anti-airs and I think he blocked every dust too. Just needs work on neutral and his approaches and expand his offensive options.

Thanks for your critique Nova. I'm actually aware of all those stuff above but haven't put a really worthy effort to improve (been too over-obsessed with the 6Ks you know lol). Today i really tried to change habits in casuals and results came immidiately

In General: 

• Work on your conversions and try to do strings and confirms other than 2P > 2K etc.
  • Stop jumping into them/teching into them and using j.D. Or stop using j.D while they're not below you. It's good for baiting antiairs but it's terrible if it's blocked as you are slightly minus. It's also easy to blitz.
  • You're relying too much on hammerfall as a reversal and to move yourself forward, in some situations it's okay as a guess while in others (like Leo) you're better off saving meter and playing footsies.
  • If your opponent keeps jumping out of PB, do more solid strings/find ways to weave in 6K > HFB (I saw you do this once so I'm assuming you're comfortable with this string).
  • Work on timing your meaties better and your HF distance so you're closer to them after 2D. Need to pick better times to press buttons and which ones to do in situations, you seem to opt for 2P quite a bit.
  • Megafist Forward is -4 on block. You're safe against most characters if they normal block it but use 2P very sparingly if they know they it's minus or if they're escaping after blocking.
  • Pick your buttons better in different situations. You have a bad habit of using j.D to fall in neutral or when you messed up, using heat fist after your defensive burst if they're in the corner, using ICPM after they burst, trying to press a button on wakeup. These options are fine to use but pick the times you use them better or do these things more sparingly.
  • Work on your ground game and be more patient. Don't autopilot into pressing a button or into blindly taking a bad gamble

This is really important: Don't do the 6K loop/conversions unless you got them on completely lockdown because you're giving up a lot of momentum trying to do them. They're difficult and if you opt for the knockdown or a simple combo into heat fist you'll save a lot of meter and net around 60-70% of the damage.

Tip regarding double hammerfall after slidehead: Input the first hammerfall as [4]64HS. The game will read the 64HS and still give you hammerfall while you already start charging for the second one.

vs Ky

• Don't try to be safe vs his DP by walking back. You're just giving up momentum. A meaty spaced 2K will cause his DP to whiff. 2D > Super jump > meaty is also possible vs Ky. 
    • You can do 2D > HFB > 2K meaty. (1:08 is a good example. So is 2:08)
  • Be more willing to play a ground game. I didn't see a single f.S or 2D for poke.
  • Use 2P > HFB and 2K > HFB more sparingly. They're really minus so really it'll only work once or twice before they start mashing (like the ky did) or jumping out. All of your PB tick throws were the exact same. (1:50 -> 1:55 example, 3:45 also)
  • Avoid using ICPM/(ICPM > YRC)to regain distance after you get bursted. You are really vulnerable in neutral and you will get punished if it fails. (2:12, 3:16)
  • Refrain from using j.D unless you're baiting an antiair. It's not that great of a move if they block it or if they're not directly under you (like 0:48 and 4:06)

Specific Stuff:

• 1:44 Don't flick SE CSE O(split ciel charged stun edge). You won't gain anything out of it. Trust me. At that particular situation, you could have jumped and then double jumped to delay your landing until it disappeared.

vs Faust Winners Finals

• Same thing with the j.Ds and ICPMs
  • Try to react with 6P rather than press it preemptively. Confirm that he is falling down first. Several times he would be really high in the air and throw a bomb bag and you would use 6

Specific Stuff:

• 3:57 : Opt for an air throw if he's right above you. 2HS is preferred only if you see them already inputting something or if they're in the air right in front of you
  • 7:59 : This situation is fairly specific. But try to get used to meteor timings. Instead of backing away and double jumping leaving you vulnerable and literally inviting him to come pressure you, do a very short string and then end it before the meteors come. If you're feeling really ballsy, go for a tick throw or flick them(really hard). You have about 3.5 seconds before they fall on you. If you still prefer to stay back, then go ahead but don't double jump back into the corner, jumping and blocking is fine though just in that particular situation you put yourself in a really bad spot.
  • 9:41 : I'm going to assume this was an input error, but if you were trying to go for 6K it doesn't work off megafist forward.
  • 15:53 Don't try to bait bursts after dust. Just go for the combo. Even if you were to block the burst, you would land too far away to easily punish it. 

vs. Leo

• Opt for safe jumps whenever you can. Don't try to make a hard read and block/bait his DP, you're giving up momentum. 2D > super jump > j.s/j.HS works perfectly, regular jump > j.S/j.HS works after heat extend in the corner. (0:29 and 0:44 and 9:11) You did at 1:07 so keep that up.
  • Leo's wakeup time is a bit slower than others while he's faceup. Delay your super jump after PB just a tiny bit before doing your jump in.
  • Use FD more while blocking Leo in stance. IB is fine but doesn't net you much as he still is in close and his normals are very quick. Using FD pushes him out too far to continue his stance pressure allowing you to poke/slidehead
  • Need to play more ground footsies with Leo. If he's in stance, slidehead or flick. If he's not in stance, use your f.S, 2D, 5HS. Control the space in within your 2D range as none of his normals can go past that move.

Specific Stuff:

• 1:20 An example as to why you need to avoid starting your string with 2P. At that distance he got pushed too far so you couldn't score a knockdown. That move is -13 on block and the second hit is lv 4. So when you IB'd it, it's actually -17, plenty of time for a stronger punish.
  • 1:33 Don't bother trying to block burst after dust. Same reasoning as in Faust match
  • 3:52 The followup after 6P that high in the air is a super jump into j.P > j.P > j.K > j.S > ICPM or j.K > j.S > j.H > ICPM.
  • 5:52 After flicking a projectile, unless they're a full screen away, don't use hammerfall. Just walk forward and watch what your opponent does. It'll save you meter and give you much better positioning to react. In this situation, you could've walked forward and either attempt a heat fist or YRC OS 6P.
  • 6:13 Pot buster after an OTG is not recommended. You are actually slightly minus after OTG ICPM and still have to wait the 9 frames before you can grab your opponent's wakeup.

vs Faust Grand Finals

• He's blocking meaty j.D after he got hit once so you're overusing it. Opt for different strings and then throw in a 5D once he's not looking for it anymore. Mix it up or your opponent will catch up to your lack of variety.
  • Try to stay grounded vs Faust. The person in the air actually is at a disadvantage vs a grounded opponent. You can't match his normals with your air normals so unless he's right above you or you're pressuring him, don't jump. You're also not gaining anything from double jumping backwards like that in neutral. (like 5:08)
  • You're relying too much on hamerfall. Only do it with 50 meter so you can RC it if they block or YRC if it whiffs.
  • In general, you need to be a lot more patient in this MU. Megafist and Hammerfall are okay to use but you're using it too much (like after item toss or at neutral). Megafist is good vs. f.S and Hammerfall is recommended only with meter. Only 10% of the hammerfalls you threw out actually benefited you.

Specific Stuff:

• 1:12 Funny tip: Springboard doesn't trigger immediately so you can actually flick it as long as it's not meaty.
  • 2:12 Example of how easy it is to punish ICPM > YRC
  • 4:38 2K > f.S > heat fist will work from this distance
  • 5:00 CH 2HS > 6HS does not work unless you HFB your 2H.
  • 5:54 Don't do 6K > Trishula as a block string.
Edited by dot_Nova

Here's a video of me playing a set against my friend on netplay. Even though I won, I feel I have a lot of bad habits and generally bad ideas, so it'd be good to have some constructive criticism and get a second thought into it. Thanks.

On 10/22/2015, 12:14:11, jaycawbz said:

Here's a video of me playing a set against my friend on netplay. Even though I won, I feel I have a lot of bad habits and generally bad ideas, so it'd be good to have some constructive criticism and get a second thought into it. Thanks.

There wasn't much I could pick out since it doesn't look like the Ky knows the MU very well. But in general

- While you're on offense, stop using hammerfall > RC in tight blockstrings or to gain distance in neutral (5:28 and . Use it to bait and punish mashing/jumping(in the corner) rather than as a blockstring extension. Vs Ky, there isn't an immediate need to get in since Potemkin can handle neutral just fine. If he isn't punishing or guarding 6K > HFB correctly then do strings into that instead otherwise save the meter and opt for poke instead.

- For Ky matchup, use 2K more if you do a meaty low. At the right spacing it goes under his DP making your meaty safe. You don't have to do it all the time but it adds more of a guessing game and makes reversals more risky.

- If you're too far for PB > 5P > f.S > heat in the corner, I believe you can do 2P > 5P > f.S > heat on Ky (check me on this)

- Ky's hurtbox is pretty wide so you could optimize your combos a little better. 2S > 6K works on him very often. (Like on Faust, Elphelt, and Potemkin). You can do a 2K meaty or a regular jump > j.H after hammerfall.

- 10:35 : you could have PB'd after eating the first ht.

- And english voices? ew.

In the corner after PB, if you're too far away for c.S to connect you always have to 2P > 5P > f.S > heat against ky. 5P > f.S > heat always whiffs on me.

Since Xrd PC came out, I can record matches whenever I please, so feel free to tell me how bad I scrub it up:

There were a few matches I didn't record, and I think I did better in those than I did here (the OS is real), but I think these are pretty alright until I start to fall apart near the end.

4 hours ago, Garalian said:

Since Xrd PC came out, I can record matches whenever I please, so feel free to tell me how bad I scrub it up:

There were a few matches I didn't record, and I think I did better in those than I did here (the OS is real), but I think these are pretty alright until I start to fall apart near the end.

Something I noticed a lot is that you'd be crouching right in front of her, and then suddenly she'd just jump and hit you with a jump-in while you poked at her ankles that weren't there anymore. I feel like you need to be thinking of a wider array of attacks in those situations. That probably shouldn't be free for her.

Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I feel like you shouldn't be afraid to throw out an HPB when you're stuck in the corner and you know they tend to start a lot of their corner pressure with a jump or airdash. You can flat-out steal rounds with that shit. Smarter players might pressure in a manner that keeps them safe from it, but that also means they have to back up a bit and be more predictable with their pressure, which you can potentially take advantage of.

11 hours ago, Garalian said:

You are not active enough when you play. It is something I struggle with when playing as well. You walk back and forth not really doing anything reckless or taking risk, but you are also gaining nothing. During that video I don't think you tried to meet your opponent in air once, in fact outside of scoring a knockdown I don't think you jumped more than twice. Now being able to walk and block is a good foundation to have but it simply not enough alone to win with Pot. You make yourself an easy target for mixups and rushdown. You have to get use to jumping more. Utilize j.P as an air to air. OS j.P+6H for airthrows. Use early j.S and j.H to approach. Be willing to just jump instant block  against jumping opponents. You shouldn't just jump around like crazy since it is easy to punish against Potemkin, but you have to make sure they respect it.

Going back to not playing active enough you really didn't throw out 5H to try to control the ground in front of you, you used couple of far slashes which is good, you could use more since your opponent was mostly jumping and air dashing at you to start pressure. You used way too much 2D. It is a good move but when your opponent is finding success over and over with jump ins then 2D won't do you much good. You also did 2P>2D a lot and oki pressure into 2D every time. 2D kills your momentum when it is blocked. It is good to use to make sure they respect the pressure but all the happened was Ram blocked the 2D and they got to control pace again. You need to mix up your pressure strings, practice Hammerfall break pressure, use gatlings that can go into 6K to try to stay near your opponent, and use tick buster setups.

Last thing to avoid making it an essay. Pot's backdash is good, but stop using it against Ram's summon sword mixups, especially in the corner. Maybe once in a blue moon you will backdash and avoid the sword and avoid Ram's attacks, but it was getting you killed. At about 4:27 you blocked for 10 seconds but eventually got out of pressure, your opponent actually seemed to struggle with their pressure since you didn't just crack, make them work for their damage. If you work on your offensive pressure more, and balance your already patient ground style with a bit of aggressiveness and mobility I think you will do well.