dot_Nova

Potemkin Video Critique Thread - HOW DO I HOLD THESE BUSTERS

18 hours ago, Darlos9D said:

Something I noticed a lot is that you'd be crouching right in front of her, and then suddenly she'd just jump and hit you with a jump-in while you poked at her ankles that weren't there anymore. I feel like you need to be thinking of a wider array of attacks in those situations. That probably shouldn't be free for her.

Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I feel like you shouldn't be afraid to throw out an HPB when you're stuck in the corner and you know they tend to start a lot of their corner pressure with a jump or airdash. You can flat-out steal rounds with that shit. Smarter players might pressure in a manner that keeps them safe from it, but that also means they have to back up a bit and be more predictable with their pressure, which you can potentially take advantage of.

On the HPB note, I tried that in matches I didn't record (alongside Gigantier reversal, which saw some success), and HPB got blown up 'cause I had the sense to do it in the middle of a sword swing, and the invulnerability didn't last as long as I had hoped. The fear of getting hit again prevented me from using it after, though when they're trying to START pressure is most definitely where I should have tried to use it again.

9 hours ago, Red Star said:

You are not active enough when you play. It is something I struggle with when playing as well. You walk back and forth not really doing anything reckless or taking risk, but you are also gaining nothing. During that video I don't think you tried to meet your opponent in air once, in fact outside of scoring a knockdown I don't think you jumped more than twice. Now being able to walk and block is a good foundation to have but it simply not enough alone to win with Pot. You make yourself an easy target for mixups and rushdown. You have to get use to jumping more. Utilize j.P as an air to air. OS j.P+6H for airthrows. Use early j.S and j.H to approach. Be willing to just jump instant block  against jumping opponents. You shouldn't just jump around like crazy since it is easy to punish against Potemkin, but you have to make sure they respect it.

Going back to not playing active enough you really didn't throw out 5H to try to control the ground in front of you, you used couple of far slashes which is good, you could use more since your opponent was mostly jumping and air dashing at you to start pressure. You used way too much 2D. It is a good move but when your opponent is finding success over and over with jump ins then 2D won't do you much good. You also did 2P>2D a lot and oki pressure into 2D every time. 2D kills your momentum when it is blocked. It is good to use to make sure they respect the pressure but all the happened was Ram blocked the 2D and they got to control pace again. You need to mix up your pressure strings, practice Hammerfall break pressure, use gatlings that can go into 6K to try to stay near your opponent, and use tick buster setups.

Last thing to avoid making it an essay. Pot's backdash is good, but stop using it against Ram's summon sword mixups, especially in the corner. Maybe once in a blue moon you will backdash and avoid the sword and avoid Ram's attacks, but it was getting you killed. At about 4:27 you blocked for 10 seconds but eventually got out of pressure, your opponent actually seemed to struggle with their pressure since you didn't just crack, make them work for their damage. If you work on your offensive pressure more, and balance your already patient ground style with a bit of aggressiveness and mobility I think you will do well.

I think I'm actually fairly aggressive when I play, its just that in this particular set I got the feeling that this person knew exactly what I was gonna try to do, so I tried to hang back in order to try not to get punished for hitting a button like normal when I play someone better than me.  I'm pretty frequently caught trying to use 5H for footsies, then they just IAD over and blow me up, so I've been working on using f.S for poking if I know the character I'm playing against has really good air approaches.

Ending strings in 2D is definitely something I should try to avoid doing as much as I am, but when I try 6K pressure against some people, they'll just mash the hell out of my HFB recovery in most cases, leading me to try and play it safe. If I'm right about 2P being my fastest normal, then I could try starting pressure with that after HFB if they have a tendency to mash.  There were a few moments I really wanted to try a tick-throw with 5K, but I thought they were too far away, so I just defaulted to a normal string. 2P/5P PB set ups are things I should definitely try to use more, but I think I might be too obvious when using them, as others I've fought will just mash or hit a button on me, so I think I need to work on 'getting them to stop mashing during my pressure' in order to get that stuff going.

I won't lie, a man was panicking when I kept trying to backdash the sword mixups, praying that she'd fuck it up once and I could get a PB in.

Gonna go to the lab and work on the MU, friend gave me a big ol' list of 'shit you did wrong' that I can pick through.

2 hours ago, Garalian said:

Ending strings in 2D is definitely something I should try to avoid doing as much as I am, but when I try 6K pressure against some people, they'll just mash the hell out of my HFB recovery in most cases, leading me to try and play it safe. If I'm right about 2P being my fastest normal, then I could try starting pressure with that after HFB if they have a tendency to mash.  There were a few moments I really wanted to try a tick-throw with 5K, but I thought they were too far away, so I just defaulted to a normal string. 2P/5P PB set ups are things I should definitely try to use more, but I think I might be too obvious when using them, as others I've fought will just mash or hit a button on me, so I think I need to work on 'getting them to stop mashing during my pressure' in order to get that stuff going.

6K>Flick does well against a lot of people who mash against 6K>HFB. You also want to vary when you Hammerfall break. Doing it after 2P>HFB, 2P>2K>HFB, 2P>6K>HFB. If they press things every time after you start hammerfall then just let it rip. Try to have 50% meter to make it safe or convert combos on hit. Use 2P>2S against people who mashing to score a counter hit. Also try to use close slash in pressure. Like 2K>c.S or c.S to start. It requires the correct spacing but c.S is 0 on block and can be jump cancelled.  Getting people to stop mashing is hard though.

On 23.12.2015 at 10:39 PM, Garalian said:

Since Xrd PC came out, I can record matches whenever I please, so feel free to tell me how bad I scrub it up:

Noticed that you dont IB a lot of stuff, ram has quite many things you can ib buster or create gaps in her strings... Also rammys should be scared of ever throwing out a dauro at you, that's a free buster 90% of time if you are awake.  Also ib builds up that sweet sweet meter for you to hammer yrc and DAA out of corner etc.  not to mention that white flashing pot is effing scary.

On 8.2.2016 at 7:51 PM, zer0kage said:

FT3 set from today's casuals. 

First off, never j.d above DC charged stun edges, and you should be very carefull to contest it in air anyway unless you are like 100% sure you can hit them first :D.  You also gotta flick a lot more of those stun edges back. If your opponent is further away and likes to use stun edges, just focus and be ready to flick em on reaction as you really dont have that much to be afraid at fullscreen ranges, he should not be able to spam em all the time on your block.

If you hammerfall yrc below someone, its usually better to air throw or just do 6p/j.p than do 2hs, it really is not that good antiair (unless you again are very sure that it will actually connect with something.)  Speaking of hammerfalls, you missed quite lot of hammerbreaks when trying to get near your opponent, also you need to implement hammerbreaks a lot more in your pressure to keep close and to get potential busters in.

You need to up your blocking game a bit, ib more stuff to get meter and better punishes.   There is _no_ reason not to ib second hit of stun dipper if you block the first one, thats like the easiest ib in the game! It helps you to keep ky closer so you can 5s>2d after blocked stun dipper. Close range dp on block can also be punished with c5s>2hs>hfb sj aircombo which gives you more damage and corner carry. Just be ready if your opponent has burst ready to bait it with the c5s and hfb following 2hs, nothing wrong on doing buster on block though, its good safe damage and leads to safejump.  Also learn better what moves you can punish from characters and how, you fd blocked ride the lighting and pushed ky away and whiffed buster, you can just normal block it if your health allowes, get free ch 2hs>hfb after it, making it burst safe 200dmg punish with nice stun, and if they happen to burst its 60+140-180 depending what you follow up with. You really cannot miss those kinds of opportunities to do major damage!

also implement tick busters more in your game.

Other than those you seem to do decent, dunno how well you know the match ups and how long you have been playing potemkin etc. so it's hard to judge any better.

Had these matches from last month. I tried to incorporate what ZoKhiz said but some cases like the RTL I just saw he had burst etc. 

I still need to use more clS to tick at this point. Also certain knockdowns could use more 2K instead of 5K to catch backdash I guess. jDing after alot of tech is still a bad habit that needs to die, just take the blocks on the way down.