Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riotpot

GameCube to PS3?

Hey everyone, I would like to get into BlazBlue along with my brother and I was wondering if I could use my GameCube controller on the PS3 through some kind of adapter. I tried to use my brother's stick but I just didn't feel it and I'm not a fan of the D-Pad for regular controllers. I like the way the GameCube controller feels and the directional input isn't as wonky as a normal analog stick.

But yeah, I was wondering how I could get the GameCube controller to work on the PS3 because I don't know which adapter will have good quality. Does anyone else actually do this and if so how is it?

If what you like about the GCN controller is the position of the stick, then you may be interested in trying an Xbox pad or something similar.  I'm only suggesting this because I've never heard of anyone using a GCN controller for anything but Smash and maybe TVC.

I like the stick on the GameCube controller because I like the indents on the analog which makes it feel like it's gated. I like the way this controller feels and the Xbox controller doesn't feel as good to me. 

EDIT: Also, if what I looked up is correct then the GameCube controller is Dualshock 2 which is 8 directional inputs. I could be wrong but I also just prefer the GameCube controller to any other pad I used before.

I know of (and have) adapters for PS2 to GCN (and PS2 > USB), but I don't know of GCN to PS2/PS3.  If I did I'd have probably gotten some long ago back when I played Smash a lot.  Honestly the GCN controller is great, and it's probably the best pad if you want to play Soul Calibur and like Analog over D-pads (I definitely remember looking for adapters when there were small tournaments at local Blockbuster video stores on Xbox).  The button placement means you can do A+B, B+K, and A+K inputs without macros, as well as A+G, B+G, and K+G.  Also, while the Dpad on them is kind of a joke, having the activation ranges for each direction so close together makes it easy to do Ivy's quick Calamity Symphony where you do extra damage if you do the input in some tiny frame window.

I'll ask my friend and if his GCN > USB adapter (the Smash 4 one) works on his PS3  I think I've already asked him and he said no, so don't get your hopes up on that front.

My PS2 > USB adapters work on PS3, but as it's one Sony product plugged into another I kind of expect that.  There are a bunch of GCN > USB for PC, but I don't know if any of them would work on PS3, and you also run the risk of getting one that adds input delay.  It can be hard to find good adapters.

If the adapter your friend has is the GameCube to Wii U adapter then I already tried that one before for PS3 and that one does not work. 

I did see something called the 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box on Amazon and it seems like it may work. I also saw other people using their GCN on their PS3 before but the one video that did have the adapter name mentioned was no longer available.

Also, input delay will have to be something I have to figure out for certain adapters so that will be one "fun" process. 

I Actually have good news, The mayflash GCN to WiiU converter does in fact work on the PS3 if you set it to it's PC mode

I was lurking around when I noticed this thread and remembered I had the mayflash converter, so I thought I would try it out for you

The Analog stick on the GCN controller doesn't work on the XMB menu, but works in game, I only tried in KoFXIII because I had the digital download of that title and was too lazy to put in the BB:CPE disk.
But I can check for you really quick

The buttons are

A=cross
B=Circle
X=Square

Y=Triangle

R=R1

L=L1

Z=R2

Edit: on further testing, the analog stick diagonals don't work, so this might actually be a bust, I'm sorry for hyping you nothing

Double Edit: the diagonals worked in Blazblue for some reason, I don't even know anymore, I hope this helps someone

After a long time lurking, You being in need allowed me to muster the courage to make an account finally. So thank YOU. I'm glad my first post was very helpful.