Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThaddeusScherzo

I'm running a Kickstarter, and looking for input

This sounds like stuff I did in like 8th grade as a hobby, like making terrible 90s html websites. I didn't go asking people to do it for me. All of the fun and experience of these things comes from figuring out and making it happen yourself.

The game just doesn't line up with my morals, and those are something I can't compromise.

I can't play that game because the fatalities make my flesh crawl. But violence is still violence and death is still death...what do you think happens to people when Terumi astrals them? 

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways for some constructive criticism...you're putting the cart before the horse here. You have to put in work, get good, hit the forums, gain a following, maybe...place well in a few tournaments first. THEN people might want to back your projects on Youtube or Twitch or whatever. I mean, hell, Mike Z basically kickstartered an ENTIRE GAME, but that was only after (and because) he was well known in the community. 

Hmm actually one way you could spin this is to do a Twitch channel with regular episodes that chronicles your journey to becoming half-decent. That way you could build some community following and get good at the same time...but it would still require some investment on your part because you would need the system, game, capture card, a computer, and good internet. But hey, it takes money to do anything nowadays. 

(But really, you don't even need Twitch to do this, just get out there and play people, online or offline. Seek out a wide breadth of opponents. As long as you have some modicum of skill, after you play someone a few times they will likely remember you well. Then once you have a decent amount of respect from a decent amount of people...you could start a channel, host a tournament, or do streamed FT10s and the response would be much better than what you received in this thread)

This sounds like stuff I did in like 8th grade as a hobby, like making terrible 90s html websites. I didn't go asking people to do it for me. All of the fun and experience of these things comes from figuring out and making it happen yourself.

And just when I thought Geocities and Angelfire was just a lost figment of my memories...

The general consensus is that you should start from the ground up and improvise with what little resources you have. It's important to know how shit works at a basic level before you start fine-tuning with professional gear. Here's a suggestion:

-Pick a FG on Steam. This is Dustloop so Im going to recommend +R

-Download and set up OBS

-Go into training lab, play for 20 minutes a day. Commentate on what you're trying to learn, observations, etc.

-Do this consistently every day. Now you're building what's called a portfolio. A portfolio helps you build up credentials for yourself in a particular field that requires practical work, such as art or programming. People in the field of medicine or engineering usually get licenses after testing to show they understand the theoretical aspect of their professional field.

-Let's say you do it for a month on youtube, you have videos, etc. Start small. Ask for $30 so you can buy a couple more games. This is much more reasonable because you do the same thing except now you're EXPANDING your portfolio. You can also improve it from people's feedback. Your vision should be something a long the lines of "I'm learning Guilty Gear, come learn with me!" because, frankly, I don't think you're an experienced FG player at all.

-Staying committed is important when asking for investors. By uploading content every day, it proves that you're at least willing to make a commitment. Since there's no return on what you're asking for, Patreon would be a better suggestion than Kickstarter. Patreon is basically subscribing to someone creating content on a regular schedule.

Damn it RealBobMan, I wanted to comment on the day or 2 thing first....

I came here to laugh at you and all, but that said there's 3 kinds of content producers for fighting games people flock to. Someone has to fulfill that niche to be successful. Niche's can of course, cross over.

Content that has strong/well known players - Pretty obvious right? Divided into 2 aspects, a broadcaster who goes where the players go (someone like Spooky for offline, or Biscuits for online) or a well known top player who streams himself (someone like Justin Wong). Since you want to broadcast yourself, you're not going to have top level play ready in a day or 2. As much as some of these kids with less experience make me look stupid when I play, they've had longer than a day or 2 to get there.

Informative content - Video content that informs others. You don't need to be a top player to do this. I do recommend knowing your shit before you do though, or if you become visible, and are wrong, people WILL blow you up about that. But in order to have success with it, you will need to be able to have something on your resume. But any idiot can find a move list online these days (I remember when I needed the manual or arcade display...), you'll need to have real useful information. Information that beyond the things you can figure out that are obvious or you can parrot online, does not come in a day or 2. Ultrachen TV is an example of a high profile show dedicated to informative content, in and out of the game.

"Entertaining" content - Basically, you can do whatever you want, but you need to flesh out your personality, market yourself incredibly well, and make people want to watch you for one reason or another. Although he he dips into informative, Max is probably the undisputed king of this as far as the FGC goes whether you enjoy his videos or not. You can get by on it, but of course going into the other 2 options will increase the value of content.

Now this option something a day or 2 with a character...can go with. But in case you missed what's been said throughout your experiences on the forum...you're doing a pretty shitty job at selling yourself and making any community want to support you. But then again, when your goal is as outlandish as this...

PS: To reiterate, you're REALLY messing up your marketing by not doing MKX at all, it's actually the biggest I've seen a game since SFIV and Smash 4...

I mean, hell, Mike Z basically kickstartered an ENTIRE GAME, but that was only after (and because) he was well known in the community. 

For the record, he actually did have a functioning prototype with more than one character before Skullgirls got involved with a larger dev team for support, and at that point they were able to get a publisher.  The game released, but then there were some financial issues with their developer, and their publisher decided to be dicks (and have continued to be dicks and make stupid decisions, but that's not relevant to this).  That's when they went on Indiegogo to fund additional content.  They've had a really bumpy ride.  Hell, IIRC they didn't start getting any money for game sales until recently.  I'm glad they're getting their Second Encore and I hope it goes way better for them.

They had a functioning prototype in a completely built engine before they got any sort of backing, and had a completed game before they went to crowdfunding.  That's pretty good as far as proof of concept.  It's actually more than Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained started with.  Yooka Laylee IIRC was planned out and would have been finished anyway even without the crowd funding, and they basically only had a video demo.  Bloodstained only had concept art and had a publisher that was willing to front them the money if they proved enough interest ($500K worth of initial sales), though they put together a prototype before their campaign finished due to fan demand (good on them for that).  Compare that to already having a released game that you can play and decide if you like it, and the devs asking you to help fund additional content for it.

So yeah...  use that as an example of what kind of effort you're expected to put in Mr. "Kickstart my youtube channel" guy.

Snip

Wow thanks for that post. Very informative. The "game development" side of fighting games has always been one of those ideas dancing around in the back of my head, but I would never know where to start (especially with funding, artwork, and publishing). Developing a working prototype sounds like a good idea though. Do you know what programming language or game development program they used when making their prototypes? 

There is a surprisingly large amount of good information in this silly thread. 

There is a surprisingly large amount of good information in this silly thread.

Yes, and I can safely say that I've learned a ton from this, so thanks to everyone who gave me advice for that! I'll certainly admit that the concept of Patreon is very exciting to me! As an aside,I actually have discussed this all with Mike Z and his following, but you have been much more helpful than them

(not to be intended as the Skullgirls community being useless, but rather I've gained much more information here).

As a side note, does the steam version of acpr have an online mode? Or do I need to install a mod? I heard there was one for x2, but why bother with an outdated version? Either way, I do like the free soundtrack. That's a nice touch!

Do you know what programming language or game development program they used when making their prototypes? 

For games you see a lot of C++.  You want something Object Oriented.  Not entirely sure what Mike used because I don't think I ever asked him or bothered to look into it, but it was probably C++.

As a side note, does the steam version of acpr have an online mode?

The Steam version has netplay.

For games you see a lot of C++. You want something Object Oriented. Not entirely sure what Mike used because I don't think I ever asked him or bothered to look into it, but it was probably C++.

JavaScript is also very common.

...This is a pretty bad economy, heck even in a good economy you wouldn't get far. I don't think people are going to fork over money to someone they don't even know either...

I'd rethink your approach.

My 4+ years of learning to play I-No and still not being good at the game tell me that you're not worth giving money to because you don't even know what you're trying to sell.  You might be able to teach someone something after a few weeks of learning, but the primary audience on this website are either people who know way more than you, or are people who are learning from those people for free.  Can you compete with Guilty BitsAirdash AcademyPichy and PalsTutorial videos made by people without professional equipment?  Do you think you can do better than our wiki or the discussions in the forum?

You can start the journey to sucking slightly less, but it doesn't start with being paid $4,000 for thinking about taking the trip.

Last time i checked BlackWing doesn't coach for free

...This is a pretty bad economy, heck even in a good economy you wouldn't get far. I don't think people are going to fork over money to someone they don't even know either...

I'd rethink your approach.

I have decided to do just that. I intend to bide my time, and create my dream channel in all it's glory by myself. I may or may not have established that clearly here. The primary function of this discussion now is for advice to me and others like me (and game designers, I suppose) The kick starter is live already, so I don't think I can take it down, and perhaps I'll be fortunate with the results, but I am otherwise indifferent towards it.

he should though

Top Players(aka Canada's Greatest/The Best/The Greatest/Best Hazama NA/a bunch of other shit) don't stream coach for free yah know, you gotta pay for that $20 PREMIUM Coaching, well, atleast it ain't no 4 grand

Javascript? Are you sure you don't mean Java?
I know that JavaScript is pretty common in game development among other things. Same goes for Java. 

Javascript? Are you sure you don't mean Java?

I know that JavaScript is pretty common in game development among other things. Same goes for Java. 

I guess you could use Java, but from what I've been told it's shitty for this kind of work.

Last time i checked BlackWing doesn't coach for free

No idea who that is, but there's already a ton of other free content (I linked to some).  I know some skilled players are able to find an audience that will pay for training sessions.  The thing is, if you want to do that you have to be better than the free content by a significant enough margin, and this kickstarter doesn't demonstrate that level of quality (or anything really).

Top Players(aka Canada's Greatest/The Best/The Greatest/Best Hazama NA/a bunch of other shit) don't stream coach for free yah know, you gotta pay for that $20 PREMIUM Coaching, well, atleast it ain't no 4 grand

im the idiot who thought you were being serious lol. my bad. got me scared for a second.

it's been a while since there's been something of this caliber here

I'm very grateful for the positive/positively interpreted response, too! I feel that I could still use some advice, but I don't want to keep getting random "get a job"-type comments. Should I just create a separate topic to preserve this one, or should I just keep it all here?

I apologize for posting twice in a row, but I wanted to keep this separate. I've been working on my digital art, and found a good free sketching app. What do you think of this piece?post-40078-0-01720900-1434656924_thumb.j

...which has uploaded very small...