Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ciccio

[Things you should NOT Tech Hit] a short Tech Hit guide

When i first learned to tech hit i was like "oh yeah i'm going to tech hit everything i can", that was actually the stupidest thing ever to think.

Tech hit in vampire Savior is extremely useful because it can give you the opportunity to push your opponent away making him harder to keep doing pressure on you, however you should not try to tech hit every single attack because it may make you predictable and your opponent may be able to trick you and punish you hard.
So what attack should i not try to tech hit?

Well, you can try to tech any normal attack however you should not try to tech hit most of the cast special attacks here's a quick list:

Every Dp except Felicia's Catspike:
most of the cast have a dp, some have a good ones and others have shitty ones, however, trying to tech hit them it's both hard and unsafe, why?, take demitri for example, he have a really good dp wich i believe is safe on block and have some pretty good active frames, if you try to tech hit you'll probably get hit by it, giving demitri an advantage, and if you do a succesful tech he'll get pushed away giving him the option to keep zooning you with his fireballs.

If you try to tech hit his dash dp (who's also safe on block) you'll not acomplish anything because he'll get into your face anyway (just like sasquatch short hop pressure but unlike him,demitri can't spam his dash dp ) so the best option is to wait the right moment to punish .

Felicia is an other good example, lots of times i was able to last hit someone who desperately tried to Tech my Delta kicks and even if they succeded they would get hit by it anyway because they tought they were finally able to escape, WRONG, that's actually the stupidest thing to do, Felicia travels at a decent speed during her non delta kick and even faster during her ES version making her able to get you anyway if you try to jump away after a succesful tech hit. 
so the best option is to Guard cancel or just block it (but you are open to a follow up cmd throw by her if you're in the corner).
Overall,The best option to counter dps is: block and wait, just wait you'll eventually being able to punish their dps during their recovery time and if you expect an other dp after the blocked one (again, lots of demitris likes to do that, even myself) you can just wait and whiff punish them.

But why is ok to tech hit the catspike? the reason is simple, that move helps Felicia to keep pressuring you and even if lp catspike does not have a lot of Frame advantage (just 1 for the lp version) she can follow up with a cmd throw making you vulnerable to her mixups

Felicia's rolling buckler:
Again there is no reason to try to tech this attack you will only open yourself to a quick unwanted punish by the felicia player and you may lose your punish opportunity, the ES rolling buckler is incredibly fast and just like the ES delta kick it may get you even if you do a succesful tech because she'll be in your face in no time.
The right thing to do is: block, just block don't even try to GC the rolling buckler, it's really unsafe on block giving you a free punish and combined with Felicia's slow wake up speed it may even help you to win the game

Felicia's Please Help me Super:
this is the only EX move i include in my list because, who even try to tech hit supers? most of them are unsafe on block so just block and punish.
However for the Please Help me super is a different story, it happened that some players tech hitted the kitty. but this just helped me because it pushed Felicia even more far away from them, giving me a slighty chance to recover in time and not get punished.
ALWAYS block the supers, never try to tech hit them you'll may fail your tech hit and get hit by them. 

Gallon/Talbain ES Beast cannon:
just like the Felicia's ES rolling buckler, Wolf ES Beast cannon is really fast and no matter if you tech he'll be in your face again in less than a second and a good wolf will always hitconfirm the beast cannon juggles even if he barely hits you once

It is possible to pushblock and punish the beastcannon but you gotta be careful while trying it
Beast Cannon is a great thing to push block if you can. The oddity abotu AG'ing Beast Cannon though, is that it's not about getting distance, it's about recovering with time to counter-attack sooner than you would if you had just blocked it. AG'ing the first hit (or any hit) means you have that much more time to jab him out of it, or to jump and immediately attack - counters to Beast Cannon that are available to anyon

Gallon Flash kick:
if you tech hit his flash kick you'll just help him to get away from you making you lose a good punish opportunity

Gallon Nunchakus:
Nobody uses this move ever and even if they do they'll push themselves away because that move have an insane auto pushblock propriety lol

Lei Lei's gong: if a lei lei player for some odd reason will try to keep pressuring you with the gong on your wakeup just block, it's a free punish for you and if you feel comfortable enough you can punish the ES version easily with a Guard cancel.

Lei Lei Senpuu Bu (DP): For what i experienced, tech hitting Lei Lei's pendulum move is ineffective, she'll still be in your face no matter what you do, i suggest to try to tech hit it instead, it's way easier

Zabel's Death Hurricane:
if you try to pushblock this move you'll just give zabel a slighty chance to recover in time and avoid your punish attempt.

Anakaris Hitsugi no Mai (flying coffins): 
Honestly i have no idea why you should tech hit this move,block and wait for it to end or just try to sneak into anakaris face and punsih him (it's risky tho)

Note that these are just suggestions, i may have been missing some moves or maybe you may not agree with this list at all.

if you have a suggestion of why a move should or should not tech hitted just let me know so i can upload the list for help the new players to understand the tech hit a bit better

And please forgive me for any typos or bad grammar i did :p

Gallon/Talbain ES Beast cannon: just like the Felicia's ES rolling buckler, Wolf ES Beast cannon is really fast and no matter if you tech he'll be in your face again in less than a second and a good wolf will always hitconfirm the beast cannon juggles even if he barely hits you once

Depending on the character, you should absolutely Push Block ES Beast Cannon, there are many punishes you can do if you push block it at the right time.

"Every Dp except Felicia's Catspike" should probably be "Any move that hits only once and knocks down". Like, I wouldn't think of Cat Spike as a DP for one (DP motion, but it's not an anti-air and it doesn't knockdown). That also is a catch-all for a few other things you've written (Felicia's Cat Helper EX, Wolf's Climb Razor, Rapter's anti-airs, Anak's Coffins). These are all moves that are meant to be unsafe on block, so push-blocking them nets you no particular gain and is unsafe.

Also, yeah Beast Cannon is a great thing to push block if you can. The oddity abotu AG'ing Beast Cannon though, is that it's not about getting distance, it's about recovering with time to counter-attack sooner than you would if you had just blocked it. AG'ing the first hit (or any hit) means you have that much more time to jab him out of it, or to jump and immediately attack - counters to Beast Cannon that are available to anyone.

"Every Dp except Felicia's Catspike" should probably be "Any move that hits only once and knocks down". Like, I wouldn't think of Cat Spike as a DP for one (DP motion, but it's not an anti-air and it doesn't knockdown). That also is a catch-all for a few other things you've written (Felicia's Cat Helper EX, Wolf's Climb Razor, Rapter's anti-airs, Anak's Coffins). These are all moves that are meant to be unsafe on block, so push-blocking them nets you no particular gain and is unsafe.

Also, yeah Beast Cannon is a great thing to push block if you can. The oddity abotu AG'ing Beast Cannon though, is that it's not about getting distance, it's about recovering with time to counter-attack sooner than you would if you had just blocked it. AG'ing the first hit (or any hit) means you have that much more time to jab him out of it, or to jump and immediately attack - counters to Beast Cannon that are available to anyone.

it's true that Catspike is not considered an anti air but is a very good prejump counter since it's air unblockable and it knocks down airborne opponents , considering that the motion it's a DP too i think that it can be considered a dp as an exception just for the sake of the topic

also i had no idea about Pushblocking Beast cannon, the only times i did it against a wolf it was too far away for me to punish him and i never really tried it that many times since i do lack of some matchup knowledge because i do not play against lots of people and wolf is one of them.

about the supers, yeah, i know about that and that's why they're in the topic, most of the people always try to tech hit the kitty and even the nunchakus taking risks for no reason i tought it was better warn everybody about it since there's NO reason at all to pushblock them, especially Felicia's super