kosmos badgirl

[CF] Blazblue CENTRAL FICTION: News and Gameplay Discussion

Like I said, it's mostly because I don't live in the US, so all I can do is make assumptions based on what I read (and I mostly see netplay discussions, you know, being on the Internet and all) and the differences between the US and Japan that I know of (for instance, US are bigger than Japan, so, assuming that the top-level players are spread somewhat evenly, it might be easier to find decent competition online than to drive for hours just to meet another player of your level). Oh, and every time someone complains about the bad netcode in Japanese fighting games, there is always someone who says "Well it was made for the Japanese, and their connections feel like offline because the country is so small", which most people can't confirm or deny.

Anyways, shine on.

The state of the us scene as a whole is like...the high level players are all kinda condensed in the corners of the country in their own scenes (ny/nj, pnw, cali too though it's pretty big) and the skill gaps between our top players and our mid level players is REALLY big as a whole. Like, even if you could netplay someone at your level, the netplay is too bad to consider good practice, even at its best, our console standard means the game is just too different online and off.

Regardless netplay isn't really an issue for our top level, there are good players in those areas that CAN play offline (whether we do or not is another story haha). Tbh I can't complain about my scene at all, it really doesn't matter that netplay is booty. You just have to approach how you use it very critically, and that is easy for players who already have a proper understanding of the game.

In a nutshell, netplay isn't an acceptable competitive substitute in the first place. But that's ok, I don't think it's too important, even if you need to netplay to play people you should be critical about it if you intend to compare yourself to offline play. I started out on netplay too, lol. Nobody should be complaining about the netcode hindering competitive growth because it'll never compare when it counts lol, you always need to approach learning with it thinking about how delay affects the game, because it is drastic.

I can write up more about the current state of our scene and netplay and blah blah blah but I'm not sure if this is the thread for it??

I'd be interested in a discussion about the US and JPN metagames and how netplay affects both in a topic honestly.

I like to know where we stand as a whole from other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So your saying the BBCPEX Vewlix Diamond arcade cabinets have bad lag? I never played on one before but I keep reading that they are lagless. Wheres the lag coming from and how much lag do they have compared to console?

They're not lagless they have like 2f or something of lag from the monitor (at least the xrd cabs have that lag profile, idk about bb)
Japanese players have talked about how playing on console is weird because of the delay difference.

Yeah, thanks for correcting me Tokkan, SKD. Dunno what the flying Hell I was thinking by making that comparison.

Man though, I'm feeling the draught from a lack of news. Don't get me wrong; still very much excited to see the arcade release in winter and all that. But there hasn't been anything really new recently and the latest loketest isn't being talked about very much (or perhaps that's just me not looking in the right places). Kinda hoping for a reveal sometime in October/November if only to jump start the discussion mills again.

Considering the lack of significant system changes this time, I believe their focus might be on the plot this time? Which would make sense why they haven't said anything. 

How much info did we get on CP between its initial announcement and release?

Considering the lack of significant system changes this time, I believe their focus might be on the plot this time? Which would make sense why they haven't said anything. 

How much info did we get on CP between its initial announcement and release?

No, just because there's a lack of changes it doesn't mean that there's a detracted focus from there per se. The only difference is they're trying to build upon the current meta of the game rather than take things an entirely new way. I'm sure they're paying a lot of attention to how the game is balanced now more than ever lol.

I'm sure they're paying a lot of attention to how the game is balanced now more than ever lol.

I'll believe it when I see the results. ;)

I'll believe it when I see the results. ;)

Ya know, as long as Ragna is on the roster, Tsubaki will never be good. Just saiyan :V

They're not lagless they have like 2f or something of lag from the monitor (at least the xrd cabs have that lag profile, idk about bb)
Japanese players have talked about how playing on console is weird because of the delay difference.

Ah i see thanks. Thats ridiculous for a ~8k dollar dedicated gaming machine

tsubaki will always be shit give it up

Thats what people kept saying about Tager...........He's S-Tier now  :toot:

Edited by TagerTime

Yeah, sorry, but there's really nothing stopping Tsubaki from being good, they just need to make her normals less garbage.   I hold out hope that someday they will realize this. :)

You could always play the superior, gundam brand Tsubaki :V

Maybe now that I hear she's easier to play in CPE.  I tried playing Izayoi in CP and wow, she was way harder than I was prepared to deal with.

Airk, they could make 5B combo directly into 6C on non-CH, and reverse prorate, and make it unblockable and you'd still probably find a reason to say Tsubaki's bad

Plus, theres like a standard, then a premium version of the viewlix cab, and...you arent always going to play on the premium one, and even the premium ones dont feel as good as the cabs running aime (xrd/dfc/mb/uni etc)

i am this close to learning tsubaki because these character complaints just blow my mind lmao

I'd be interested in a discussion about the US and JPN metagames and how netplay affects both in a topic honestly.

I like to know where we stand as a whole from other people.

i am going to go into a pretty lengthy post about this...

if you don't care about being competitive, or want to take things casually then you really don't need to read this. If you care about winning on netplay for one reason or another, then this isn't for you either. I am writing in reference to midlevel players who have (limited) access to offline play.

once again, i am going with this foreword of not wanting to sound like a total douchebag but i will tell you like it is. i am sorry if i hurt any feelings, but this is it. Am i trashing netplay? i dont really know. Sorry if it's the only thing you have access to. But this is what it is.

granted, a lot of this comes from my perspective but i've been playing bb for such a long time, i even came from netplay myself! this is a scene x netplay commentary: the ode to the midlevel american (maybe netplayer) by yours truly

netplay straight up is disconnected from the US meta. It is TOTALLY irrelevant. Our midlevel that doesn't have access to a good offline scene won't learn online because there is almost nobody to play since the netplay is SO whack, especially in comparison to how we play the game offline over here. Even when people did play eachother often, the game usually doesn't grow past a certain point. Not that it is exclusively a fault of netplay, but rather also has to do with mindsets of players IMO, so ill go into that later.

jpn can more feasibly practice online, even though it isnt quite the same as arcade. But this also ends up with jp having a very even distribution of skill level, since the game is much more accessible in general. it is much easier to learn and practice what you learn in arcade or on netplay, or whatever. So you get a lot of surprisingly solid players who come out of nowhere because play can be emulated and practiced widely, arcade or online. Even their midlevel players are sort of shoo'd into playing the game similarly to how they "should" be playing, in part thanks to netplay not being total ass in comparison to their arcade scene.

99% of the time i play online and try to stop someone from doing something bad or structuring pressure poorly, i cannot impart anything that i have understood to be correct and it REALLY SUCKS. Yes, maybe they can get pieces and more general, easier to implement things. Surely, they will get a little bit closer.

But there comes a level of reaction and decision making that just isn't possible in delayed environments. Rps changes, risk/reward of situations change, neutral approaches change, the game changes. I can't convey all of those things to you by showing you in play because our proper play isn't accessible, as jpn usually can be shown to a fairly competent level.

it ends up with usa being like...top players from select regions (with some outliers), then a huge skill gap between them and midlevel. there is barely any proper exposure between scenes since we are so spread out. i can think of like...2/3 players i'd describe as bridging the gap between high level and mid level lmao. As far as comparative skill level goes between us and jp, speaking for myself, i can pretty confidently say i'm about the same level as their top players, and i personally don't think there's any environmental issue(???) for our current strong players advancing (at least for myself, this is pretty much based on my opinion of how i'd further develop, so it might not be shared haha) but the glaring problems i'm talking about are the midlevel's accessibility to the game and the correct meta.

A lot of good can come from this, and having a more even skill distribution and stronger median can help give some people the right push and overall benefits the scene's skill level right?

But why does this huge gap from the midlevel to high level exist? It's that disconnect of information, because people can't explicitly "show" what is right since we are so spread out (not to mention our internet is usually whack). My only other option is to "show" people things through something like this, an online forum, general advice, etc.

The problem where we are spread too thin is not affecting high level players (as much), it is affecting the midlevel ones.

Most of our strong players already have ideas of how the game is supposed to be played, they had the right exposure, maybe they were critical enough to get to that point without as much exposure even if they did come from netplay (hey, fighting games are "supposed" to be played offline, maybe everything im doing is affected by delay wowwww 2015 2009) and they usually end up digging enough for themselves to end up with a strongly supported understanding. This is rather rare, but this is how most of our strong players came about, no matter where they are from. These players would be good with or without anyone to show them the right direction, which is why this isn't an issue for them.

Unfortunately, the reality of our "accessible" environment for midlevel players is that you have to push yourself through midlevel to high level understanding on your own. You don't have the environment to SHOW you the right things unless you happen to live in a nice place. Netplay is NOT that place. You will not be able to grind it out online and tell me that you have a good idea about something like tiers or offense or neutral when you likely have no conception of what is "right". Coming from netplay and attending a few TSB's does not make you know what you're talking about either. Your game needs to be developed around that, thats how you get "good". You will be thinking about and doing things more in line with what you should be doing. Japan's midlevel either has the right ideas about the game but cannot implement perfectly, or they implement faulty ideas. Those get ironed out. Our midlevel doesn't have the right ideas, and does not have the environment for most faulty ideas to be corrected. So you NEED to be critical of your own play, or you wont advance.

And that is where I am talking about "fault" in the players, IMO midlevel netplayers that only have limited offline access don't think about what is "right" enough. And why can I say that? I was a netplayer, and I had been playing for like a year. From the JUMP i was thinking about the right way to play the game and the effect that delay had on it, so it never proved to be a problem for me outside of ironing out select habits and increasing my understanding of things that I COULDNT know with the inclusion of delay. You will NOT be able to understand how someone reacts or the speed of a reaction outside of a specific scope, a one shot connection, which probably sucks. Just think about the idea that it is harder to tech a throw online because of delay. Where doesnt that apply? It applies to neutral approaches, the kind of guesses that can be made, etc and all of these things have effects on eachother. Netplaying as a tool to improve past midlevel comes with a very big hurdle of needing to use it properly, you can't just go into it like jp can, and that is one of the reasons why our midlevel is less proficient.

Its reality. We're in the USA, our netplay is just as "accessible", but less rewarding. Thats what you have to deal with. We have a bigger burden of analysis with our netplay. That causes the level of play to be lower because it is more demanding.

Theory around how the game should be played and information from that is what really lets netplay shine. It lets you optimize your limited playtime offline, and thats one of the only ways we can progress with the problem of having less rewarding netplay, IMO.

Netplay CAN be used for practice beyond a midlevel (as i said in an earlier post, supplementary to offline learning). if you aren't constantly thinking about how the game should be played offline in your understanding then it's pointless, even if you can't directly get the practice. I got a LOT of practice through netplay while learning, and that was because i approached it from a perspective outside of what i was experiencing. If i did an overhead, i would acknowledge that this overhead is /much harder/ to guard than it should be. Maybe I really just would not use 6B or GH at all under the assumption that it would get blocked offline, and the reason why that was a problem was because the resulting situation was disadvantaged from the pressure situation that i'd give up in order to get the 6b in the first place. I'd just keep my pressure stronger, it would not make sense for me to practice around getting a 6b. I was just wasting my own time.

Sure, you won't be able to understand all the nuances that go into these kinds of things from the jump. I mean, I didn't imagine that i could react in 10 fucking frames to wolf brjA until just recently. How offense should be structured, how defense should be structured...you have training mode, offline, test yourselves against things. if I expect this overhead here, why wouldnt my opponent? if i cant tech a throw on reaction, is it impossible or am i just bad (lol). If i get anti aired in a 4 bar but not this 1 bar, why the fuck am i still jumping in? Talk to people about what the realistic approach to a situation would be. Come up with your own answers if you cant implement those, or answers to deal with people who cant implement those. But the basis of these conclusions is the consensus of what developed play is. Keep it logical, keep your reasoning clean. And TALK ABOUT YOUR REASONING. THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT FUCKING UP WITH NETPLAY. 

If you practice the right ideas, then by the time you end up playing offline (or the limited amount of time you do get to play offline) you will be that much faster to pick things up. Things will make more sense to you if you practiced safe offense vs. you having practiced offense which consists of a gauntlet hades / 2d high low 50-50. You will have practiced the right stuff, and be ready to implement those things. Maybe you won't be able to tech throws on reaction right away, or maybe you'll try to avoid the situation instead of dealing with it. Eventually, you need to develop your response to reach a higher level. But it's progress, the right ideas get imparted and develop faster. And surely, when I spit words at my screen they begin to make more sense.

Sure, if you go back to netplay the delay might inhibit what you can do but you have a basis to which you can practice. So what if you cant AA this shitty bullet player who keeps jumping in on you in a 2 bar? Maybe its time to stop playing the bullet player, unless you can get something else from the match. How you practice is important, and really does affect how quickly you'll pick up things given the right opportunities (so travel out when you can, but make the most of it).

Imagine, if maybe, just maybe you end up playing someone who is also trying to emulate offline play. Holy crap!! wow!!! Maybe you can get used to certain things that you should be getting used to! This could be another good angle, but unfortunately most people kind of just do what they want to do or try to win without really thinking about it too much, though that is practice in its own way, if you have the right mindset to it. You might lose to things you "shouldn't", but thats ok.

Netplay match exposure has a major use that isn't very diminished IMO:

Developing Adaptive Ability. One of the main things that a lot of HEAVY netplayers are good at is adapting on the fly to what they can or cant do in X frames of delay and formulating ideas that go around that. This kind of thing is really good and while you don't need to adapt to different levels of delay where play is most developed, being able to change it up is a really good thing to practice. Honestly, i am far too stubborn so i never practice this but it really is a great skill you  can work on through netplay, even without the right understanding of things. Is the connection shitty enough that I can feasibly hit someone with Ragna 6B 4 times in a row to win? Alright! You just need to make sure that you are thinking about things and actually applying them, haha. Generally getting used to how people react in certain connections and etc etc could be nice too, and give you information. Just, make sure you don't get the wrong idea. Like that your 6B is SOOO good but what happens when you take that away with an opponent who can block it consistently? Are you ready for that? While you can put yourself through a lot of situations, without theorizing your approach properly you can end up practicing the wrong things for an offline environment, so you need to keep your application in check. Sure, this is much better to do offline. But you can do it online too, lol. Just gotta be critical about it.

I know. Maybe it feels good to hit someone with your oh so threatening offense but boy does it feel better to totally invalidate a character's tools on defense especially when people think their characters are scary if you really aim to develop your play then it has no place depending on your understanding (do i think this overhead is easily reactable? is this offense stable against players who dont consistently react in under 15f?), just think around it.

As far as conveying what the "proper" ideas are and what good play is, that is what I am here for. I am here to talk about reasoning in matches and stuff. That is the most useful thing I can give. All of our top players are accessible, everyone is pretty willing to talk. Just, please, keep an open mind about things. Personal experience over netplay is just that, so please think about it logically.

In a nice, condescending tl;dr;

THE QUESTION OF WHERE DO WE STAND AS A WHOLE?

The game might be accessible to a point to low and midlevel players, but that point is pretty bad.

The gap between the average players and the top players are huge. Our most accessible form of play does NOT convey our high level concepts easily, thus (IMO) the huge gap.

The only players who really bridge the gaps are the ones who are developing on their own, rather than being shown or taught these things because the usual method of learning that jpn has, we dont after that point.

The only real solution to this limiting netplay experience is to be very critical of it.

Our strong players are doing just fine, nothing is really preventing us from progressing and the level of play isn't very stagnant...i think. Either way, a higher midlevel would be beneficial...probably. 

~~~

In conclusion, just, do what you can. It really doesn't benefit me, I am not writing this with some sort of agenda, i really do mean well. Even if some of what i wrote is pretty judgmental or makes me come off like a dick. It feels like there really hasnt been a lot of progress.

Edited by skd

Having this as an article would be nice to see

As a mid level player, I think that most of this makes sense to me.  Looking up to top players, there's definitely a clear barrier between them (at least for me and them) and alot of the things that I see myself needing to change is how I think about the game which probably will require alot of change in my play in both offense and defense.

To actually take that step is honestly alot of work analysis of ones own play, that I'm honestly not too sure if I want to put in due to laziness/losing interest in fighting games, but I think that this rings quite true.

Edited by superscience890

In conclusion, just, do what you can. It really doesn't benefit me, I am not writing this with some sort of agenda, i really do mean well. Even if some of what i wrote is pretty judgmental or makes me come off like a dick. It feels like there really hasnt been a lot of progress.

What do you suggest to do in order to improve? Like what habits should be made or what should people realize to overall become better/solid players? Gauging skill can be difficult at times, and finding out what you should do next in terms of improving as a player can be confusing to me sometimes as well, which is why I ask. 

Plus, theres like a standard, then a premium version of the viewlix cab, and...you arent always going to play on the premium one, and even the premium ones dont feel as good as the cabs running aime (xrd/dfc/mb/uni etc)

no yeah i found that too, the aime cabs definitely felt better. praise be

Ah i see thanks. Thats ridiculous for a ~8k dollar dedicated gaming machine

Thats what people kept saying about Tager...........He's S-Tier now  :toot:

I mean it's their tournament standard (well not exactly now that arcrevo is run on console), and it's pretty consistent so they just have that as a standard, I don't think it's worse, it's just different.

also i didn't mean it in a "tsubaki sucks forever because of design" way, i meant it in a "tsubaki will always suck in airk's eyes ayy lmao" way

EDIT: MY BAD THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE OTHER POST

OOPS DOUBLE POST SORRY LOL WOW

Edited by greatfernman

hey SuperKawaiiDesu or should i call your joudal ha ha ha big fan of yours I saw a couple videos u made and I thought they were pretty good. Especially the persona ones where you played narukami and izanagi! Unfortunately I don’t agree with your post. :(

I couldn't finish reading your whole article but I think netplay is a great way to improve because it limits your options forcing you to think outside the box I used to netplay a lot of melty blood which is a really fun game that everyone should try if you haven’t already and it was a lot of fun and i think i got strong playing mostly on netplay.

So ya i was thinking then, if i cant netplay what is the best way to improve? I feel like ive been past the scrub and middle level play for a long time now (i beat most people i play online and keep a pretty high win rate percentage) and am trying really hard to improve.
I watch your stream and see you netplaying all the time but after saying netplay is a bad way to learn, what are we supposed to believe. Isnt netplay how you got good in the first place so It should be normal for people who are still improving to use netplay to get good?

I personally use netplay to see where I can mash in people blockstrings because that seems to be very useful when I play online and people are trying to mix me up. Everything I learn online seems to work very offline too. Plus im not trying to call you out or anything but when i see you play offline and netplay on your stream I can see you doing mostly the same stuff with maybe the occasional combo drop because of lag spike. I hope you reconsider. cheers

what the Fuck are you talking? about? i bet you never even played lordknight (now sponsored by D-Link) before. this is ridiculous. get this post out of my face. 

hey SuperKawaiiDesu or should i call your joudal ha ha ha big fan of yours I saw a couple videos u made and I thought they were pretty good. Especially the persona ones where you played narukami and izanagi! Unfortunately I don’t agree with your post. :(

I couldn't finish reading your whole article but I think netplay is a great way to improve because it limits your options forcing you to think outside the box I used to netplay a lot of melty blood which is a really fun game that everyone should try if you haven’t already and it was a lot of fun and i think i got strong playing mostly on netplay.

So ya i was thinking then, if i cant netplay what is the best way to improve? I feel like ive been past the scrub and middle level play for a long time now (i beat most people i play online and keep a pretty high win rate percentage) and am trying really hard to improve.
I watch your stream and see you netplaying all the time but after saying netplay is a bad way to learn, what are we supposed to believe. Isnt netplay how you got good in the first place so It should be normal for people who are still improving to use netplay to get good?

I personally use netplay to see where I can mash in people blockstrings because that seems to be very useful when I play online and people are trying to mix me up. Everything I learn online seems to work very offline too. Plus im not trying to call you out or anything but when i see you play offline and netplay on your stream I can see you doing mostly the same stuff with maybe the occasional combo drop because of lag spike. I hope you reconsider.

EDIT: On a side not I think netplay has made me really strong in DFC and i think ill do a write up on netplay in the point of view of a top DFC player.

cheers

Edited by benothebeno
sorry i fixed some mistakes

@skd Sorry for focusing on only one section of your post but I think this part really does warrant its own discussion.  What do you think is a good solution for the problem?  Obviously if everyone played offline things would be a lot easier but it can't be that simple, right?  What do you think are the leading problems?  I don't think BB is an unpopular game (at least not extremely so) so is it an issue of a lot of BB players don't have the time/money/interest to travel and play?  As you said the top US players are doing fine but the mid/intermediate/low are not so what can be done about this to get a more active offline BB scene in parts of the country that aren't the usual?  For instance I live in Texas, and while BB isn't nonexistent here and we do have some local players who are considered somewhat notable, it isn't a big game like it is in other parts of the US.  With that in mind, what should I do short of just continue to bring my setup to casuals every week and the occasional visit to a tournament when I can afford it?  Because (and I do not mean this as an insult at all) if the top players are the only ones getting better then BB's future may be doomed to be stagnated because the scene will be limited to only the CURRENT top players getting anywhere with no new faces or rising stars showing up.  What can be done about this?  Not a rhetorical question, I really want to know because I enjoy this game and I want it to grow and get the support it deserves and a better offline presence.

I personally use netplay to see where I can mash in people blockstrings because that seems to be very useful when I play online and people are trying to mix me up. Everything I learn online seems to work very offline too. Plus im not trying to call you out or anything but when i see you play offline and netplay on your stream I can see you doing mostly the same stuff with maybe the occasional combo drop because of lag spike. I hope you reconsider.

EDIT: On a side not I think netplay has made me really strong in DFC and i think ill do a write up on netplay in the point of view of a top DFC player.

cheers

Netplay limiting your options isn't a good thing. It conditions you to play in a way that doesn't work offline so when you go to tournaments you'll get wrecked by people who don't drop their combos due to lag and react to overheads/throws. It's not completely useless but there is a very hard cap on how much one can progress through that alone.

Georgia's former top player (ivysaur) did netplay sometimes but he mostly got that way because he utterly mastered Carl's setplay & answers to match-up specific situations with training mode.

cheers

There's a few issues with this kind of thinking imo:

1) Limiting options doesn't necessarily bring about avenues of improvement. If having your options limited means it gets you thinking of new or different ways of approaching certain things: great - it's giving you perspective about certain situations and engaging you into actively thinking about what makes certain aspects in those situations strong and others weak, and how to get around those. But if the reasons those aspects are strong (or weak) are not present in an offline scenario, then it doesn't really help much as the situation presented on netplay will have an entirely different context than a similar situation presented offline. And if your end goal is to have good/high/top offline play, then the netplay context's answers won't help as much.

2) "Everything I learn online seems to work offline too" is really dependent on skill level of your offline members, and varies widely. Instead of just thinking "Hey, the stuff I use online works offline, so it's okay to keep doing it" it might also be better to go further and say "Hey, the stuff I use online works offline - why is it working offline?" Stuff working offline because you're exposing a player flaw is different than stuff working offline because it's exposing a matchup or character flaw. Similarly, stuff working online because you're exposing matchup or character flaws is different than stuff working online because you're exposing netplay flaws which is also different from things working online because of player flaws. You'll end up doing a combination of these things regardless in actual match conditions in either setting, but knowing which category things are under will help you for adaptability purposes, for seeing what can be exploited in a matchup, and what you as a player should work towards correcting.

3) Seeing someone play similarly offline as on netplay doesn't necessarily mean that the person is taking tactics and training learned on netplay and then transferring that knowledge to offline - it's in most cases the opposite (assuming they're making tournament wins at least, if they're going 0-2 every time they go to a tournament, then it might very well be taking netplay to offline :v: ). If a person is taking offline knowledge to a netplay setting, then yeah, it's going to look pretty similar, especially if the person doesn't necessarily care about getting wins online but is more concerned about improving certain aspects of their play that actually requires an active participant as opposed to training mode.

But that's just my (limited and lower level) point of view of those issues.