kosmos badgirl

[CF] Blazblue CENTRAL FICTION: News and Gameplay Discussion

Honestly the mayority of people play with japanese voices anyway, so if this cuts the wait so be it , maybe a DLC later could be a better idea, tired of waiting extra months for cringue voice acting

39 minutes ago, ivanchu77 said:

Honestly the mayority of people play with japanese voices anyway, so if this cuts the wait so be it , maybe a DLC later could be a better idea, tired of waiting extra months for cringue voice acting

yea, the engrish in the japanese voice acting is really cringe worthy.

If you dont want to wait and want JP voices, then you could always import, that has never gotten in the way.

1 hour ago, ivanchu77 said:

Way to try and speak for the entire fanbase just because of your bias. There is definitely a significant portion of the fanbase that prefer the dub (just one glance at the number of views on many youtube videos that use the dub is enough to cast doubt on your blanket statement). You're also forgetting that what kind of fan you are will probably affect what language track you like. If you play BlazBlue solely as a fighting game and don't care about the story are less likely to care about the language track at all since the voices are nowhere near as important in gameplay, just being around two dozen stock quotes tied to each action that at most are helpful to remember which move they correspond to, as they are in the story, where you are listening to a narrative for 30+ hours and where the dialogue is the primary focus that the player is supposed to get information from, as opposed to being background noise. Therefore I'd wager a lot of players are ambivalent and use Japanese simply because it has become the norm online and grow accustomed to it instead of actively choosing it over the English track out of preference. Considering I don't think I've ever seen you in any of the plot threads I'd guess you fall into this category. On the other hand, fans who are invested in the story, or even aren't huge fans of fighting games but got into BlazBlue specifically for the story, have a higher chance of preferring the dub. Playing the game with the voices as little more than background noises that you can't understand is way different from playing through a 30+ hour visual novel where you have to glue your eyes to the subtitles, and which will take longer to get through since it is takes more time to read something than to hear it. Unlike anime, video games are much more important to the viewer experience since you have to read narration and don't watch in 20 minute bursts. Video games, even incredibly anime-styled ones like BlazBlue, also have much wider market appeal than anime and, believe it or not, the majority of westerners not part of the anime niche prefer being able to play games in their own language (I see a lot of complaints when a game is released without a dub and the only dub complaint you regularly get anymore is when a game doesn't include both language tracks, no one is mad about the dubs themselves). Being able to understand the story more quickly, not be distracted visually, understand the emotions and humor being presented more clearly (most of the people who claim the Japanese dubs always have better acting but don't actually speak the language are being blindly bias since they don't know what the actors are saying and are supposed to sound like) are just a few of the draws dubs have for a lot of less hardcore gamers, not that they can't appreciate them. In general I've found that more people like game dubs than anime ones, probably for two reasons. One is that story-driven games are much longer, thus having more text to read than the dialogue in anime and games are generally played for longer sessions than anime which can be watched in 20 minute episodes and have an easy stopping point. After long enough it can get tiring to always read subtitles when hearing the game is an option. Two, unlike anime which people can stream instantly with subs as soon as their released, but have to wait for months to hear a dub, they are likely to watch the show if they care about it immediately and once the dub comes out, they will have become accustomed to the original version since they experienced it first and the Japanese voices will be how they view the characters. On the other hand, video games, especially long story-driven ones, people have to wait until a western release to enjoy the game properly, since they have a lot of text that might not be fan translated, meaning you can't understand the story or even the game mechanics even if you import, and watching the cutscenes can be less fulfilling of an experience than exploring the game on your own, so they are more likely to give the dub a chance when it is present for the initial experience.

As for it being "cringe acting," I don't know what to do besides assume you're a sub purist who thinks all dubs are bad since BlazBlue has a great dub (with the exception of Steve Kramer Bang). The cast if filled with veterans who have been voice acting for over a decade and capture the characters perfectly. If you think the voices are annoying, again aside from Bang plus Noel and Celica to some, I don't understand what you even mean since there aren't any 90's bad reads and most of the voices are relatively normal. Plus it's not like the Japanese version is without flaws since throat cancer Valkenhayn and Sena's overly deep young boy voice are painful to listen to and Tao's scratchy "nya" verbal tic more distracting than the dub's "meow." I'm not saying you have to like the dub but unless you are someone who hates all dubs, it is easy to see that the dub is solid.

If you don't want to wait for months (which might still happen for CF) and don't care about the story (correct me if I'm wrong) than why don't you just import the Japanese version instead? You don't need the dub and the menus are easy to navigate so you can play that version just fine (and if it's like CP the dub of the gameplay dialogue might be in the Japanese version anyway) and getting it early is definitely worth an extra $20 if you just want to play.

If they dubbed the game later as free DLC (and announce it's coming before release I will begrudgingly accept that and wait on story mode for it but I see no reason not to just have a dub from the get-go. As far as I know, a post-release DLC dub has never happened in any game so I won't bet on something like that.

If you think Valkenhayn and Sena's Japanese voices are in any way worse than their dub counterparts, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to voice acting.

49 minutes ago, redsilversnake said:

If you think Valkenhayn and Sena's Japanese voices are in any way worse than their dub counterparts, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to voice acting.

I never said that. All I said was that the Japanese versions aren't good, I made no comparison between the two versions. Please don't try and dismiss me with things I didn't actually say. Blind attacks on "knowing nothing about voice actings" will get us nowhere because I could just as easily say the same about you if I wanted. Now I'll admit that my perspective, like everyone else's, is biased and In general I tend to be less bothered by voices than some and certain characters that bother others sound fine to me (especially high-pitched girls but complaints about them in dubs are often hypocritical since Japanese voice acting is overall higher-pitched) but the actual acting, comedic timing etc. in the dub for the majority of the cast is great and I highly doubt anyone is going to say people like Ragna, Relius or Amane are hard to listen to. I also admit that there is always a natural bias for what you first hear and hearing a different interpretation will sound wrong in comparison, making it more likely you'll find the faults in it and possibly not be bothered by them in the version you watched first but that doesn't change that there is good in it regardless of comparison and it is easier to get through due to less subtitle focus.

For the record I do agree that dub Sena isn't very good either (he was better in CS but them they made Laura Bailey go super deep in CP, and like with Hakumen probably just to be the same as the oh so perfect Japanese version) but in English he just has normal bad woman playing a young boy voice that's too deep whereas in Japanese it does this weird thing where it's both deep and really high-pitched at the same time that I can't describe well and have never heard before. So while neither are good, the dub is at least a more standard flaw that I am more used to accepting. you can try and throw all of this out if you want but that doesn't change that the Japanese is not without flaws (and I'm not the only person who thinks these things).

45 minutes ago, heavymetalmixer said:

Again with the Sub VS Dub shit? Just calm down dudes, no matter what we say here, ASW will do what they want to.

Sorry about that. Although all I said at first was that I'm upset about the possibility of not having the dub because it's my preferred track (not better, preferred). But apparently no matter where you go on the internet there are people who can't understand that just because they prefer the Japanese, that doesn't mean that good dubs don't exist and others aren't allowed to like them. I guess I should have learned not to ever say the word "dub" here since it will summon someone to bash it. Whenever we get confirmation one way or the other, I'll be sure not to even say "yay" or "shit" about it because some people can't accept when someone doesn't hate the same thing as them.

That being said, obviously I'm aware that "ASW will do what they want to" but that doesn't mean I have to like it or thing it makes sense. I'm expressing my thoughts about something and explaining my worries and theories about an upcoming element of BlazBlue. We know that the creators will do what they want but how is this speculation/concern any different than predicting events in the plot or trying to figure out Es's playstyle before it was revealed? I'm sorry if people think I'm taking this too far but at least answer me this. Is wanting them to keep a feature that has been constant in the entire series really asking for too much?

You're already asking too much when you put too much words when your replies are much like a textbook "Ogiga", shit, its more apparent when you did this also in the CF Arcade Story thread, sorry if I'm calling you out like this, but damn, keep your replies shorter next time, and yes, I read all that. >.>

Sheesh, isn't short and simple sentences relatively easy to do? >.> (Well, I know its not gonna matter anyways, but yes, I tried. <.<)

Either way, I don't mind regardless if it ends up being the way Xrd - Rev was without a dub. Its primarily optional. And if it does come with one for CF, then power to them.

From what I could gather with google translate, it's just info about story mode and game modes for the console version: more info next issue etc.

The dub is horrible because the directing of said dub is horrible.

celica's eng battle voice isn't even TUNED properly.

It will spare us of some spoilers anyway (until the localised version comes out).

Ahem.

Please do everybody a favor and move the bitching here. Or don't, preferably, because it's fucking retarded. You're gonna get this thread locked, and NOBODY wants a new, No Fun Mode thread due to the mods having a headache over this bullshit.

On that note, since this topic does seem to come up a lot here, I'm of the opinion that there should just be a link to the VA thread added to the OP for the sake of convenience.

Regarding the character select screen, I did not expect Es to be positioned in the top left section. Actually, I never expected that the spots above Nu and Lambda could be filled. So now there could be 5 or 6 more potential characters huh.. this just renewed my hope of Jubei being added.

The present lack of symmetry is quite telling, yes. I guess this situation is quite similar to that in the CP days when Kokonoe and Terumi were announced? I'm going to assume they were not announced simultaneously, resulting in some speculation.

(I wasn't into BB then so I wouldn't really know)

4 hours ago, Vulcan422 said:

Ahem.

Please do everybody a favor and move the bitching here. Or don't, preferably, because it's fucking retarded. You're gonna get this thread locked, and NOBODY wants a new, No Fun Mode thread due to the mods having a headache over this bullshit.

On that note, since this topic does seem to come up a lot here, I'm of the opinion that there should just be a link to the VA thread added to the OP for the sake of convenience.

This thread is already No Fun Mode considering discussion dies a few days after anything new comes out. In the years I spent lurking here, the overall traffic of the site went down when they moved the character group threads which died afterwards. The last time this site got huge traffic was when GG Xrd was announced and half the discussion on there was spent taking a dump on BB. 

This thread is for discussing news and gameplay, not dub vs sub. Take that to Zepp Museum.

Just started getting pretty into CPE and I've been playing Noel a lot. Finally getting the hang of her (nowhere near amazing but I feel like I'm better than a super casual player xD). I want to keep getting better and I plan on playing CF as well but from what I've been seeing is that Noel is really bad in CF:( Can someone with experience in the game advise me if I should just stick with Noel because I like her a lot or should I try to find another character that I like that isn't considered to be such a low tier in CF? Thanks!

54 minutes ago, J_Swan_ said:

Just started getting pretty into CPE and I've been playing Noel a lot. Finally getting the hang of her (nowhere near amazing but I feel like I'm better than a super casual player xD). I want to keep getting better and I plan on playing CF as well but from what I've been seeing is that Noel is really bad in CF:( Can someone with experience in the game advise me if I should just stick with Noel because I like her a lot or should I try to find another character that I like that isn't considered to be such a low tier in CF? Thanks!

This thread isn't really the place to ask these sorts of questions, but in the interest of not being an arsehat, Dustloop has a character section dedicated entirely to specific characters. Noel is right here. Traffic is kinda slow, but positing your inquiry should result in at least someone offering their advice. It'll probably pick up once CF hits consoles. Now, I have no experience with Noel and am about as good a player as a casual scrub with jackhammers for fingers, but I can say that if what I bolded is true; then that's what you ought to stick with. Tiers only really indicate the effectiveness of a character to the rest of the roster, not your ability to win with them. I am not saying that you shouldn't try new characters if you're so inclined, but dedicated character love is usually the best way to go. Good luck.

On 7/22/2016 at 6:28 AM, Rotlung said:

The present lack of symmetry is quite telling, yes. I guess this situation is quite similar to that in the CP days when Kokonoe and Terumi were announced? I'm going to assume they were not announced simultaneously, resulting in some speculation.

In Vanilla CP, we knew fairly early on that both Kagura and Terumi were going to be the respective console exclusive and pre-order DLC characters, though at the time we did not know their placement on the character select screen. But the news regarding their 3rd member (Kokonoe) was left up in the air until later on. IIRC, the BB section of the internet exploded when Kokonoe was announced too. This time around though, it's pretty darn obvious that we're getting at least one more character. The only question is "who".

Isn't there supposed to be the Es blowout today? It's the 24th in japan and I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be some type of news regarding her. Will they also do a stream of it?

39 minutes ago, MabuRabu said:

Isn't there supposed to be the Es blowout today? It's the 24th in japan and I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be some type of news regarding her. Will they also do a stream of it?

Blazblue won't be on until a few hours in though.