kosmos badgirl

[CF] Blazblue CENTRAL FICTION: News and Gameplay Discussion

12 hours ago, Zouf said:

Who cares about the story in a fighting game. :sweatdrop:

Well if you would spend even 5 seconds looking at the Zepp Museum (namely the Central Fiction Arcade Plot Discussion thread that is over 100 pages long) you would know that quite a lot of people do care actually, and that's just on this website. There's also the 1000+ followers of VermilionBird's lore blog and the Central Fiction arcade more videos on Youtube that were stolen from Sourenga with more than 10,000 views each just to prove that you're opinion on this isn't absolute. In fact I only got into BlazBlue in the first place because of the lore. I suck at fighting games and never would have bothered with BlazBlue if I didn't learn about the story and become invested in the characters first and I know I'm not the only one who has done this.

You seem to be under the impression that no fighting game story has any effort put into it and is not worth bothering with, but that's simply not true. Absolutely any video game genre can have a compelling narrative if the creative puts the effort into it. Not caring about fighting game stories is not a rule, it's a trend perpetuated by the most prominent games in the genre. It is true that games like Street Fighter do not have great stories that are a major focus of the game but that is because they have throwaway plots. They give the bare minimum necessary to give the game actual grounding (the characters' backstories, their main motivation, their fighting styles and a general setting) with a simple reason for why everyone is punching each other. Furthermore, a lot of the plots boil down to "there is a tournament of some kind that everyone is fighting to win and maybe there's a villain that needs to be defeated at the end." This is not helped by the tendency to have two conflicting kinds of villains. There is the main recurring villain that appears in every game but never actually makes any progress since their plan cannot advance to the point where they are truly defeated (M. Bison) and the arc villain that appears as the primary enemy in an individual game but then is never seen again (Seth and Necalli). The story will never reach an end because there is always a new villain of the week to deal with while the main villain is just there. The story doesn't matter because characters pop in and out of the roster, limiting how much their plot-lines matter, and character endings with "X wins the tournament/defeats the villain" conflict with each other and most will ultimately be rendered non-canon. However, this does not apply to all fighting games. In fact, even leaving BlazBlue aside for the moment, I can name two fighting games where story is 100% intended to be cared about, possibly more so than the fighting game itself. Those games are Melty Blood and Persona 4 Arena, which are spin-offs of a visual novel and an RPG respectively, pretty much the two most story-driven gaming genres in existence. The stories are presented in a lot of detail, to the point of basically being visual novels with a few fights interspersed throughout, because they are meant to draw in fans of the source material even if they are not big on fighting games. Persona 4 Ultimax takes it to the most extreme conclusion since you can have the AI fight for you in story mode if you don't want to play yourself, proving your blanket statement wrong without a shadow of a doubt.

You're also forgetting the most important people who care about the story, Arc System Works themselves. Mori wants to tell a story with progression, character development and a conclusion instead of just giving reasons for people to fight. If he didn't why would the games have 30 hour story modes that are pretty much full visual novels? Why would they split Central Fiction's arcade mode into 3 acts unless it was to tell more story? Why else would they create 11 light novels, two drama CDs, 3 manga and two visual novels as spin-offs, as well as make a (failed) anime (all of which lack the gameplay you deem the only reason to care) other than the expanding the lore? Why would they put so much effort into making sure all of the stories and arcades you play through are canon, explore so many elements of the setting and have every character be interconnected with each other in some way (literally a third of the cast can be considered a part of Ragna's extended family)? Face it, BlazBlue's story is given close to, if not equal, importance as the fighting game itself. I'm not saying that you have to care about or even like BlazBlue's story, to each their own, but your statement is entirely colored by your personal bias and blatantly false.

I would also like to add that in the interview with Forbes, Mori did state that BlazBlue would've been an RPG if it wasn't found so technically difficult/tedious/boring. The story is pretty central to the series, and is the most prevailing factor if Mori's statement is taken into account.

Regardless, this shouldn't be a gameplay vs story argument. Both are important, and both contribute to why a lot of us visit this site.

3 hours ago, VermilionBird said:

I would also like to add that in the interview with Forbes, Mori did state that BlazBlue would've been an RPG if it wasn't found so technically difficult/tedious/boring.

…That's not what he said. He said that he originally got into the industry to make RPGs, but didn't find making them as interesting as he thought it would. He doesn't really link BB specifically to what he says about RPGs.

Well, lets hope it be, although for some reason, that amazon page is from EU/UK, and funny enough, its just title art that mentions Aksys as the publisher, when it should actially be P-Qube.

Like TekkamanArk said, placeholder dates are usually the last possible date of a quarter or season. Once the actual release date is filled in, it'll always be earlier, never later -- barring any unexpected/additional delays of course. But Amazon isn't exactly known to be reliable with their release dates, so take it with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, Capablanca said:

Remind me please, with an expirience of previous BB releases, JPN CF will supposedly cost around 2k ¥, not more?

The official website states that the download version will be around 5.800 Yen while the packaged one will be around 6.800 Yen. The Limited Edition will be 9.800 Yen without tax.

Oh boy another 5 pages of Jubei whining incoming. 

Anyway not surprised at all. She was brought up randomly by Noel since CP, CPE gave her a little story segment + got VA, and CF been getting spin off characters [Naoto/Es] into the game too. Also   she is pretty popular for a spin off character.

Wonder wtf she has been up to since Remjx Hearts and why she is using a spear now. Wonder if any of her moves will be kisses.

My first post after so long of absen,so Mai has become a playable character,guess we already have 6 new playable character,anyway here some more new screenshoot

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201607290088/

And for anyone interest,if you look at the galery screenshoot,you know the one with the arcade opening,you will see a screenshoot of the console opening wich show 4 emblem and the emblem is Ragna emblem,Amaterasu emblem,the azure emblem and one new yellow colored emblem that shape like 2 animal staring at each other with something like a sword in the middle and the position of the animal make the emblem kinda looks like a cat.

So, i'm absolutely fucking livid that another character slot isn't going to Jubei...but we also at least had forewarning on this one really. Plus, there's multiple reasons to think we'll get 1 more character for the console version from the website spacing and Es not seeming likely to have a relationship with Mai as the ? character (not that I think Jubei would know her either) to the character select being asymmetrical (Es takes a character slot above Nu-13 while there was an empty space below Tager and Amane, and Mai probably takes 1 of those spaces, so it's uneven and unplayable unless they put someone in that other space), there's reason enough to think we'd get another character. I think Mori's going to dick me around on Jubei until the day he dies, but, I can hope at least.

Please do not complain about characters getting in before Jubei. It is not in any way constructive and just sours the entire mood of the thread.

28 minutes ago, Number 13 said:

Wonder wtf she has been up to since Remjx Hearts and why she is using a spear now. Wonder if any of her moves will be kisses.

Mai got a Legacy Weapon replica called Outseal in Variable Heart, which is why she has it in CF. Also, her supertaste ability got cured, which I imagine that this means no kisses when she fight. When her supertaste got cured, Mai's body has become a grimoire itself called "the Grimoire of White Pages". It's an empty grimoire, but putting in codes to it can give it new powers related to that code. E.g. putting a code of signifying earth would give it earth-related powers. I'm guessing that her drive will be based on that.

1 minute ago, Tokkan said:

Please do not complain about characters getting in before Jubei. It is not in any way constructive and just sours the entire mood of the thread.

Yes, let's say nothing and just roll over and accept that Jubei's never getting playable while they add random T&A waifus in all the slots. That's a lot more constructive to pleasing the Jubei fans who've been dicked around since CT.

1 minute ago, TekkamanArk said:

Yes, let's say nothing and just roll over and accept that Jubei's never getting playable while they add random T&A waifus in all the slots. That's a lot more constructive to pleasing the Jubei fans who've been dicked around since CT.

We knew Mai was coming from a mile off. She's an important character with story relevance who is the protagonist of two manga series. She's not just some "random T&A waifu".

Honestly, can we just have a new character be announced and not have people moan all the time?