kosmos badgirl

[CF] Blazblue CENTRAL FICTION: News and Gameplay Discussion

19 minutes ago, AchedSphinx said:

The problem I have with the latter two is that I don't know what theme they're going for. Izanami and Nine have some unique flair to them but Es and Mai feel somewhat generic to me. Es is probably a tier higher than Mai on the interest level simply because she can stomp your face in haha.

Maybe because there's very little footage of the former and none whatsoever for the latter.

We know the bare minimum on Es and Mai and will only truly discover what their capable of when the game is out and players develop them as time goes on. 

So for now, all we can do is speculate based on what we know.

53 minutes ago, AchedSphinx said:

The problem I have with the latter two is that I don't know what theme they're going for. Izanami and Nine have some unique flair to them but Es and Mai feel somewhat generic to me. Es is probably a tier higher than Mai on the interest level simply because she can stomp your face in haha.

Yeah, this is how I felt about Es when she was announced. After I saw some gameplay though, I kinda got an idea of where the uniqueness lies with her. I can kinda picture where it comes in with Mai but I'm positive I'll see the bigger picture when gameplay is shown,

1 hour ago, AchedSphinx said:

Well, the whole "Freeze attacks and activate them later to deal damage" sounds appealing to me, also, since I'm a huge fan of the Fate series (Specially Stay Night) I tend to compare Es to Arturia and Mai to Cu Chulainn, add the fact that Mai's spear/attack can change it's trayectory mid air just like how Gae Bolg would and you've caught my interest pretty hard.

1 hour ago, BlackYakuzu94 said:

Maybe because there's very little footage of the former and none whatsoever for the latter.

We know the bare minimum on Es and Mai and will only truly discover what their capable of when the game is out and players develop them as time goes on. 

So for now, all we can do is speculate based on what we know.

Theme isn't really speculation though. When Nine and Izanami were introduced, I knew immediately what theme they were going for. I don't get that feeling with Es and Mai. So for me, my interest in them is somewhat subdued. Though I suppose you could make the argument that their theme is "outsiders."

58 minutes ago, MX_Engellier said:

Well, the whole "Freeze attacks and activate them later to deal damage" sounds appealing to me, also, since I'm a huge fan of the Fate series (Specially Stay Night) I tend to compare Es to Arturia and Mai to Cu Chulainn, add the fact that Mai's spear/attack can change it's trayectory mid air just like how Gae Bolg would and you've caught my interest pretty hard.

I get where you're coming from. I haven't watched the Fate series or played any of the games but I can see the appeal. I said earlier that Ken from Persona didn't interest me because he used a spear (or something to that effect). So that's probably why I'm not sold on Mai. Es has a sword and face stomps. Maybe if she used a yo-yo like Killua in HxH she'd draw me in haha.

1 hour ago, swordsman09 said:

Yeah, this is how I felt about Es when she was announced. After I saw some gameplay though, I kinda got an idea of where the uniqueness lies with her. I can kinda picture where it comes in with Mai but I'm positive I'll see the bigger picture when gameplay is shown,

I hope you're right, fine sir. Theme is important to me when it comes to new characters. They have to stand out from the rest in some unique fashion or I won't have much interest. I guess that's why I'm all aboard the Izanami hype train haha. But if Es and Mai have a strong pressure game, setplay, and corner carry I can ignore the theme. Fun trumps all and those three aspects are fun to me when it comes to Blazblue.

9 minutes ago, AchedSphinx said:

Theme isn't really speculation though. When Nine and Izanami were introduced, I knew immediately what theme they were going for. I don't get that feeling with Es and Mai. So for me, my interest in them is somewhat subdued. Though I suppose you could make the argument that their theme is "outsiders."

What do you mean by "theme"?

38 minutes ago, BlackYakuzu94 said:

He means playstyle. How they play and what makes them different from the others and all that.

2 hours ago, BlackYakuzu94 said:

What they're trying to portray as characters. In Izanami's example, she portrays a deity, or godliness (they even add a bit of flair with death). Nine portrays sorcery and magic. I can see that in their gameplay and character art. Right now I can't see what they're going for with Es and Mai. I hope that makes sense. It's like a concept I understand but have difficulty explaining haha.

He means playstyle. How they play and what makes them different from the others and all that.

That's part of it. I also go with how they look and things like that. Basically what the character is trying to show "us" without telling "us."

4 minutes ago, AchedSphinx said:

What they're trying to portray as characters. In Izanami's example, she portrays a deity, or godliness (they even add a bit of flair with death). Nine portrays sorcery and magic. I can see that in their gameplay and character art. Right now I can't see what they're going for with Es and Mai. I hope that makes sense. It's like a concept I understand but have difficulty explaining haha.

Oh...I guess? I mean, if you really want to know about both characters, they both have series where they're the stars and central focus.

Doesn't that kinda go back into what I was saying about seeing them develop when they're fully released to the audience.

Es' Theme is pretty forward if you think of it. She's a gatekeeper. Sword is styled to look like a key, she creates zones where you're locked out of because they're delayed hit boxes and running into them is suicide, overall really strong space control, and punishes people hard for not respecting her space from the looks of it. I'm almost inclined try her maid-esque style of dress has some 'maid keeping the house while the lord/azure is a away' thing but really, that's a happy coincidence at best.

Mai's theme is thinly veiled innuendo who can swing her spear both ways.

Spoiler

Ugh, I'm just about done with all the fanservice. Most of the female cast seems like pieces of attractive flesh for horny, hormonal twelve-year-olds to fawn over because they can't get nookie irl yet, or possibly a selling point as if the games wouldn't sell well based on the merits of its amazing game play/mechanics, plot (for an FG), music, etc. I just can't take some of these fanservice designs seriously anymore when it looks like they're clothes are going to get snagged on a weapon, get in the way, provide very little protection for them, or be extremely restricting and uncomfortable. Hell, I almost feel sorry for them. And would it have killed Mori to come up with more hair designs? The long ponytail bang combo got old a few games ago. Some characters are starting to look like alts.There's nothing wrong with fanservice in my opinion, but the idea is usually to have your token male and female fanservice characters and call it a day, unless the whole idea is explicitly meant to be based on fanservice.

In any event... A weapon like Mai's invokes the thought of her being a zoner/keep away character, but with these so-called "Variable Arts," I'm starting to wonder if she'll be anything like Venom from GG insofar as her having different formations or paths in her zoning game. Very little to go on right now, but it her gameplan seems to involve a certain degree of unpredictability or possibly traps and setups.

7 hours ago, oh no, he said said:

She's a gatekeeper. Sword is styled to look like a key, she creates zones where you're locked out of because they're delayed hit boxes and running into them is suicide, overall really strong space control, and punishes people hard for not respecting her space from the looks of it.

Gatekeeper? That's what that's called?

2 minutes ago, swordsman09 said:

Well, she literally appears to be guarding some kind of gate in the story bits we've seen. Her whole "theme" does seem to revolve around that when you think about it too.

1 hour ago, Litherain-XIII said:

why do I feel like Es is essentially Fiona Mayfield from Arcana Hearts? _-_ just sayin I mean look at her

They're both short girls in long dresses with huge swords, so there's certainly a similarity in that respect. I've only played a bit of Arcana Heart; is her fighting style similar to that of Es in any way?

23 minutes ago, swordsman09 said:

I guess that makes Ragna the Keymaster. :)

3 hours ago, Leiopelma said:

They're both short girls in long dresses with huge swords, so there's certainly a similarity in that respect. I've only played a bit of Arcana Heart; is her fighting style similar to that of Es in any way?

Nah, Fiona's really slow. Mostly about big hits rather than combos too much.

1 hour ago, TekkamanArk said:

Nah, Fiona's really slow. Mostly about big hits rather than combos too much.

So like Kliff from Guilty Gear somewhat?

14 hours ago, oh no, he said said:

Es' Theme is pretty forward if you think of it. She's a gatekeeper. Sword is styled to look like a key, she creates zones where you're locked out of because they're delayed hit boxes and running into them is suicide, overall really strong space control, and punishes people hard for not respecting her space from the looks of it. I'm almost inclined try her maid-esque style of dress has some 'maid keeping the house while the lord/azure is a away' thing but really, that's a happy coincidence at best.

Mai's theme is thinly veiled innuendo who can swing her spear both ways.

I never considered that. Thanks for the heads up. That makes Es a tad bit more interesting. She does have that stoic look about her after all. I'm still thinking about something for Mai though.

17 hours ago, BB2012 said:

So like Kliff from Guilty Gear somewhat?

Kinda, except slower, and with a smaller sword. She kind of has a delay after attacks like Kliff does too, but instead of coughing, it's just her falling over.

Also, she has a rekka with like a 1 frame ending. You either do almost nothing and reset the opponent, or byebye health bar. She has a super version of this rekka too, but it's also like 1 frame.

Every time I come into this thread when there's a new character there's complaints about the fanservice.

It's been 7 years, it's time to get over it. And not in this thread.

GAMEPLAY AND NEWS

On 18/8/2016 at 10:09 AM, RurouniLoneWolf said:

Almost didn't see this, lol. Next time you should @ me so I get a notification.

To answer the question, yes, she's available to get in-game from I've heard. In the first release of information, she was just labeled as Preorder DLC but then in the next release of information, it was said you could get her in-game. Don't remember the means by which you get her though.

You're talking about Es or Mai?

7 hours ago, TekkamanArk said:

Kinda, except slower, and with a smaller sword. She kind of has a delay after attacks like Kliff does too, but instead of coughing, it's just her falling over.

Also, she has a rekka with like a 1 frame ending. You either do almost nothing and reset the opponent, or byebye health bar. She has a super version of this rekka too, but it's also like 1 frame.

Interesting, thanks for the reply.