kosmos badgirl

[CF] Blazblue CENTRAL FICTION: News and Gameplay Discussion

4 minutes ago, SixWingedAngel said:

^ While I totally agree with the overdrive segment, i don't see what's wrong with Naoto, Es and Terumi :S prolly naoto that he's execution heavy or something?

They made playing with Naoto too complicated with everything he does requiring a micro-dash. You can get his benefits for all that work with easier to use characters.

Es' Drive is too easy to get around (disappears even on block) and is very slow. The opponent never has to respect an active crest. Her power-up special is lackluster.

Terumi's Drive is counter-productive with everything else he does. His Drive drains meter, but any other non-Drive attacks give the opponent meter back. It's like a game of tug of war not in his favor since he lacks many mix-up options without meter.

32 minutes ago, solidscheme said:

They made playing with Naoto too complicated with everything he does requiring a micro-dash. You can get his benefits for all that work with easier to use characters.

Es' Drive is too easy to get around (disappears even on block) and is very slow. The opponent never has to respect an active crest. Her power-up special is lackluster.

Terumi's Drive is counter-productive with everything else he does. His Drive drains meter, but any other non-Drive attacks give the opponent meter back. It's like a game of tug of war not in his favor since he lacks many mix-up options without meter.

i don't think being complicated is too much of a problem, though i do think he should be a bit easier to use. His huge, dash cancelable guard-breaking normals is supposed to be his gimmick so someone who would play him would prolly pick him up for that (which is something you can't find in many other characters). (he also has an amazing dp but nevermind that)

about Es: her neutral is really great and her crest can be used effectively for space control (you can't hit her if she's on the other side of the screen playing as she should). In pressure you can't really disrespect the already set up D except with a dp because you have to deal with her stagger pressure until the sigils are activated. Her power up special gives her nice damage midscreen and some small gorillage in neutral so it's ok. No reason why you can't have it always up in neutral either, unless you're playing vs a murakumo.

Terumi's drive doesn't drain meter unless he's in overdrive, but the opponent doesn't get any. Trust me, for a rush-down character such as terumi, it can really make the difference if your opponent doesn't have enough heat to dp-rc or reversal you even if it's just for 1 heat minus. The difference in heat gain is very noticable and it has been a problem quite few times when battling him. He does have some mixup because his overhead is fast, a special (that means that you can go for it after almost every move!) and is relatively safe on block.

48 minutes ago, SixWingedAngel said:

1. i don't think being complicated is too much of a problem, though i do think he should be a bit easier to use. His huge, dash cancelable guard-breaking normals is supposed to be his gimmick so someone who would play him would prolly pick him up for that (which is something you can't find in many other characters). (he also has an amazing dp but nevermind that)

about Es: her neutral is really great and her crest can be used effectively for space control (you can't hit her if she's on the other side of the screen playing as she should). 2. In pressure you can't really disrespect the already set up D except with a dp because you have to deal with her stagger pressure until the sigils are activated. 3. Her power up special gives her nice damage midscreen and some small gorillage in neutral so it's ok. No reason why you can't have it always up in neutral either, unless you're playing vs a murakumo.

4. Terumi's drive doesn't drain meter unless he's in overdrive, but the opponent doesn't get any. Trust me, for a rush-down character such as terumi, it can really make the difference if your opponent doesn't have enough heat to dp-rc or reversal you even if it's just for 1 heat minus. The difference in heat gain is very noticable and it has been a problem quite few times when battling him. 5. He does have some mixup because his overhead is fast, a special (that means that you can go for it after almost every move!) and is relatively safe on block.

1.It's not a problem of good execution being required, it's that micro-dashing is mandatory to do anything worthwhile. With that in mind, there are many other characters that can get his benefits with far less effort (which is why he is a rare character)..

2. She has spaces in her offense when using Drive that are really easy to stop. It takes forever for a crest to be active AND matter. They need to be sped up if they're going to allow them to disappear from Es blocking.

3. It's very miniscule in it's damage and use imo.

4. Which is where the tug-of-war comes from. Normal attacks give the opponent meter, normal Drive attacks don't and Overdrive Drive attacks drain meter. For Terumi to be the best he can possibly be, none of his attacks should be giving the opponent any meter (even if he doesn't get meter from them in the process). He does a standard combo with a drive attack:  part of it gave the opponent meter and the Drive portion didn't. That's counter-productive.

5. I never said he did not have any mix-up options. I said he has few without meter.

1 hour ago, solidscheme said:

1.It's not a problem of good execution being required, it's that micro-dashing is mandatory to do anything worthwhile. With that in mind, there are many other characters that can get his benefits with far less effort (which is why he is a rare character)..

2. She has spaces in her offense when using Drive that are really easy to stop. It takes forever for a crest to be active AND matter. They need to be sped up if they're going to allow them to disappear from Es blocking.

3. It's very miniscule in it's damage and use imo.

4. Which is where the tug-of-war comes from. Normal attacks give the opponent meter, normal Drive attacks don't and Overdrive Drive attacks drain meter. For Terumi to be the best he can possibly be, none of his attacks should be giving the opponent any meter (even if he doesn't get meter from them in the process). 4.5 He does a standard combo with a drive attack:  part of it gave the opponent meter and the Drive portion didn't. That's counter-productive.

5. I never said he did not have any mix-up options. I said he has few without meter.

1. I can't see how other characters have these kind of normals. Maybe es? But then again hers are quite different. Naoto offers something unique, and he is not bad at all, if you like that and can handle execution, that's a reason to play him. Else everyone would play izanami learn one-two flowcharts into ribcage and win: It is the higher ups that are problematic, not him (mainly, the thing about execution still holds true, i would prefer if they made his more basic stuff at least a bit more accessable)

2. the Drive should be used before/during oki. There is no space like that, you can go into a 50/50 mix up with a gapless or VERY low risk string until the sigil activates (2a > 2a > 5a or so, then jump C, sigil activates, i don't remember the exact D timing, but if more time is needed stagger pressure with 2a can always work, the opponent shouldn't be pressing any buttons). Remember that Es is a neutral character. Even if she backs out with health advantage, she has the advantage anyway against many many characters.

3. imo 3700 from 5b meterless (midscreen) with safejump oki is quite good.

4. That sounds crazy, lol. If none of Terumi's opponents gave meter, it could prolly break the game. That means he gets one knockdown against no dp characters and its simply od/burst or lose because they have nearly no defensive options. How is it counter-productive? The end result is that the opponent got less meter than he should get while fighting ANY other character. That's good for Terumi and bad for the opponent.

5. I don't see the problem, he has the best meter gain in the game by far, and he can catch the opponent in neutral (hit or block) with his long D pokes.

Just played online for PC and it seems the same people from PS4 are playing. Just people bodying everyone in the rooms and taking off. Sigh. This game is serious cancer. My like for this game has been slowly turning into strong dislike. At least with Guilty Gear Xrd, I feel it isn't just a lop sided fuck fest. 

While we argue here, Steam is storming with negative reviews and I can see why. I guess some people were expecting to the port not be that good, but I would expect this disaster... and the 52 GB. Does anyone bought it and discovered the root of that? I've heard it is because of the multiple arcades and all.

22 hours ago, HGhaleon said:

Just played online for PC and it seems the same people from PS4 are playing. Just people bodying everyone in the rooms and taking off. Sigh. This game is serious cancer. My like for this game has been slowly turning into strong dislike. At least with Guilty Gear Xrd, I feel it isn't just a lop sided fuck fest. 

I know this feel, that's why we need a balance patch ASAP. Guilty Gear Xrd got, like two patches between Revelator and Rev2 and made a very strong difference, not letting Sin and Johnny maintain the cancer in tourneys and the second one buffed Venom and Jam(I guess), while nerfed Elphelt. Now in Rev2 it is time to Raven to shine and Answer will join him.

On 26/04/2017 at 1:04 PM, solidscheme said:

Seeing nonsense like Izayoi/Arakune/Nine activating Overdrive to get an immediate advantage (building their gauges) that was designed for them to actually work hard to attain is NOT fun (especially seeing it for many months). On top of that, Active Flow removes the risk of using your Overdrive/Burst early/prematurely. I'm seriously not a fan of being able to cancel out of block-stun from Overdrive. What's the point of instant-blocking, barrier-blocking, reversal specials/normals and Counter Assault? The system is currently very convoluted.

Add Tsubaki for work hard to attain to, even if she isn't THAT top tier.

Another thing that really can piss of from Block-stun-cancel-Overdrive is that you can activate EA during the process and if you got AF, there goes a little more from 4K of damage. As someone who constantly uses Exceed Accel+Active Flow as DP, I imagine the salt.

And about those many features inside the game, GG actually have some things just like that, and works well. Blazblue's problem, on the other hand, it is how that was executed.

Honestly, this game was released too early. They cling to the fact that they wanted it out sooner and forsakened both the dub and the localization as a whole, now they're relying on only the diehards to keep this game alive through EVO. Now they wanna update it at EVO when Injustice, Tekken 7 will have been out by then, and Marvel is coming in September. Rev 2 a month or so beforehand. Why would anyone wanna play BlazBlue in between all of this?

Even looking at the game itself, as mentioned we're gonna see only 3-4 select characters being played, and that's if they bother to give it proper coverage at all. People were so smug that this game made it to EVO. Let's see if that'll be the case a year from now.

I'm not even holding hope that the Switch port will even be the updated, rebalanced version. It'll probably run crap like the PC port (which I still don't understand why they released at this point) as well. 

The most ideal scenario is for them to announce a complete redo of the game in both localization and gameplay balance. And for fuck's sake, make it downloadable. And preferably free. They already got lucky with the initial fanbase that did buy it in the first place.

This game really came and went in terms of buzz, and that's really sad because I have some great memories with CS and CP that I never expected to end like this. 

There's like no REAL news on this game. All of these other games have player interviews, tournament goals, new tech talk, balance patches, sponsor talk, etc. What does BB have? A jacked-up PC port? Some mystery announcement after the biggest tournament of the year? Why was this even nominated for Evo? It's developers have given it's fan base almost nothing to be excited about. Killer Instinct should've taken it's place. That game's developers are actually showing that they have a goal. BB has not earned that Evo spot it has now.

It's NOT fun when a player's favorite character/s are not worth putting effort into learning. All those characters with no real value.

You get the perfect opportunity to show why your game is of high quality and you make the foolish decision to attempt to capitalize on it after the fact? Seriously?

Blazblue WILL be left behind because there are far too many fighting games around this year to be so complacent. Neglected is not even the word for it. Like Bonchan said, "these devs are making decisions like children."

17 hours ago, MaximusMurkimus said:

Honestly, this game was released too early. They cling to the fact that they wanted it out sooner and forsakened both the dub and the localization as a whole, now they're relying on only the diehards to keep this game alive through EVO. 

So only diehards play this game because it has no dub? They got lucky the fans bought it in the first place? Please, this is ridiculous.

And what does Injustice, Tekken and Marvel have to do with Blazblue's competition? They are very different FGs with different fanbases. Unless you're talking about these guys who only play what's hot at the time and are bad at it.

The game will be quite fine at EVO and is gonna be as hype as always. May I remind you that during evo 2014 none of the kokos made it to top 8? And you know how cp kokonoe was.

Almost 6 months to port a game to Steam. Said game somehow manages to have 52GB, random crashes and other issues. And apparently wack balance, but I'm not sure about that since I haven't even played the game yet. Furthermore, there is a suprise announcement post-EVO that could be anything ranging from the sequel series foreshadowed in the Story Ending, BBCF Extend, or the long awaited sequel to Eat Beat Dead Spike-san.

Arc Sys, what is wrong with you?

Playing the Steam port of BBCF. The 52GB is pretty ridiculous, apparently it's due to leaving most (or all?) of the assets uncompressed.

Loading times seem slightly longer than those in the BBCPE port, not sure how it fares against the console version.

There are some technical issues with performance, but I fixed it using the Nvidia control panel to force the game to use the dedicated GPU (it uses the onboard Intel card by default), and playing on windowed fullscreen (locks at 50FPS when I play on fullscreen).

Once those were done, the game ran flawlessly for me.

I think most of the port complaints were due to the increased system requirements (apparently some could get BBCPE to run well on Intel cards and were expecting the same), and issues with pixellation (no comment since it looks not much different from BBCPE's port to me).

On 4/28/2017 at 8:23 PM, SixWingedAngel said:

So only diehards play this game because it has no dub? They got lucky the fans bought it in the first place? Please, this is ridiculous.

And what does Injustice, Tekken and Marvel have to do with Blazblue's competition? They are very different FGs with different fanbases. Unless you're talking about these guys who only play what's hot at the time and are bad at it.

The game will be quite fine at EVO and is gonna be as hype as always. May I remind you that during evo 2014 none of the kokos made it to top 8? And you know how cp kokonoe was.

ASW is on record saying that they skipped the time it takes to record the dub in favor of pushing the game out earlier, to appease the weebs and competitive community alike. Throw in a $60 price tag when other versions were $40/50 and you only have enthusiasts at most buying it. It's no coincidence it didn't sell as well in both regions.

A good player plays more than one fighter. I have a friend who can whoop me silly in both Marvel and SFV but I can go toe to toe with him in Tekken and Persona 4 Arena. If you're not playing one, you're playing something else, simple as that.

People are naturally cynical about EVO because pretty much only a handful of characters are currently viable and that hasn't changed in months. Plus I wouldn't be looking forward to upcoming nerfs immediately after if I just whooped everyone at EVO with one of those viable characters, assuming I'm still caring afterwards.

On 4/30/2017 at 11:30 AM, Rotlung said:

Playing the Steam port of BBCF. The 52GB is pretty ridiculous, apparently it's due to leaving most (or all?) of the assets uncompressed.

Well that's a pretty massive derp considering all of the ports before this evidently didn't make that mistake. Worse is that this most likely can't be fixed via patching or something like that since I don't imagine it's as simple as swapping the uncompressed assets with compressed ones.

As somebody who still plays the game. The reason this site seems dead because people who actually are playing the game have moved on. It's still pretty active.

Maybe if y'all spent less time on this site bitching and moaning about what isn't there and played the game, you might (gasp) enjoy it?

But by all means, go on complaining about Jubei, dubs, or whatever if it helps you sleep at night. I'll be actually playing the game.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I remember when BB was lauded for being very balanced with miniscule differences in strength between tiers...*sigh* But there's no need to get caught up in perfection.

Precise balance changes would be good, no doubt...but it's not necessarily vital for the health or longevity of the game. If that were true then games like Smash Bros Melee, Melty Blood, and Street Fighter 2 would have died long long ago.

Tournament level play is usually dominated by a handful of top-tier characters anyways, that can't be changed. However, if you are getting trashed by every random Nine and Izanami you fight, then you probably just haven't put in enough time yet. Most players don't TRULY know how to abuse their BS (or even have good fundaments).

This was very noticeable when tons of new Xbox One players came in. Of course the player base was noticeably worse than the Playstation users with 5+ years of experience under their belts...Even after a year had passed.

15 hours ago, Leonard-Helsing said:

Well that's a pretty massive derp considering all of the ports before this evidently didn't make that mistake. Worse is that this most likely can't be fixed via patching or something like that since I don't imagine it's as simple as swapping the uncompressed assets with compressed ones.

The reason I stated is speculation at this point, since I don't know if anyone has actually unpacked the archives to look into them.

On 2017-4-30 at 3:07 AM, MaximusMurkimus said:

ASW is on record saying that they skipped the time it takes to record the dub in favor of pushing the game out earlier, to appease the weebs and competitive community alike. Throw in a $60 price tag when other versions were $40/50 and you only have enthusiasts at most buying it. It's no coincidence it didn't sell as well in both regions.

A good player plays more than one fighter. I have a friend who can whoop me silly in both Marvel and SFV but I can go toe to toe with him in Tekken and Persona 4 Arena. If you're not playing one, you're playing something else, simple as that.

People are naturally cynical about EVO because pretty much only a handful of characters are currently viable and that hasn't changed in months. Plus I wouldn't be looking forward to upcoming nerfs immediately after if I just whooped everyone at EVO with one of those viable characters, assuming I'm still caring afterwards.

About that balance issue... How bad is it? I couldn't even find a tier list. In fact, the only thing resembling a tier list was that ancient (I think it was made during the Loketests) analysis SKD made with people still following that.

The older Blazblues were balanced enough to have most of the cast viable at worst, even if there were some clear top tiers, so hearing that BBCF is that imbalanced is kinda weird, and besides, I want to know what I should be looking for when watching EVO.

7 minutes ago, Volt said:

About that balance issue... How bad is it? I couldn't even find a tier list. In fact, the only thing resembling a tier list was that ancient (I think it was made during the Loketests) analysis SKD made with people still following that.

The older Blazblues were balanced enough to have most of the cast viable at worst, even if there were some clear top tiers, so hearing that BBCF is that imbalanced is kinda weird, and besides, I want to know what I should be looking for when watching EVO.

Are you talking about this list? Some specific positions could be argued about, but I'd say it's a pretty reasonable list. In this list everyone in B- and down (12 characters) is not viable in high level tournament play.

58 minutes ago, YoYoCheese said:

Are you talking about this list? Some specific positions could be argued about, but I'd say it's a pretty reasonable list. In this list everyone in B- and down (12 characters) is not viable in high level tournament play.

Yep. That's the list. Of course, I don't expect Kagura or Susano'o taking EVO by storm, but having characters like Ragna or Hakumen qualify as barely viable is weird, and 12 characters straight up tossed under the bus in unusual in BB, so I just wanted to check if this is really the general consensus.

What is going on with the combo system? Valk has lost so much stuff.... it's ridiculous, and are all moves counted as S starter moves now?

As an example of this, check this out :
Combo on croucher : 5B > 5C > Rosen > 2C > CT (no charge) > 5C > 236A > 5B > 2C >  j.B > dj.B > dj.C

However, this EXACT SAME combo can be done from a 2A starter. Worse, if I add anything else into the combo with 5B, the combo fails entirely!

This must either mean that all moves have short starter ratings now or normal starter moves now are the same as BBCPEX style short starters were. Also, 6B > rapid > 5C > 236C doesn't combo at all... is 6B a VS move now?

What is going on exactly? Why was this change done? This sudden combo timer change killed off pretty much all stylish combos and ideas I had for CF. Also, if I drag on a combo even for a little while, air hit 236A > 2A > 2C doesn't combo anymore for Valk, while it still did even later in the combo in CPEX....

1 hour ago, Mr.Ownage said:

What is going on with the combo system? Valk has lost so much stuff.... it's ridiculous, and are all moves counted as S starter moves now?

As an example of this, check this out :
Combo on croucher : 5B > 5C > Rosen > 2C > CT (no charge) > 5C > 236A > 5B > 2C >  j.B > dj.B > dj.C

However, this EXACT SAME combo can be done from a 2A starter. Worse, if I add anything else into the combo with 5B, the combo fails entirely!

This must either mean that all moves have short starter ratings now or normal starter moves now are the same as BBCPEX style short starters were. Also, 6B > rapid > 5C > 236C doesn't combo at all... is 6B a VS move now?

What is going on exactly? Why was this change done? This sudden combo timer change killed off pretty much all stylish combos and ideas I had for CF. Also, if I drag on a combo even for a little while, air hit 236A > 2A > 2C doesn't combo anymore for Valk, while it still did even later in the combo in CPEX....

I think they made short starter combo almost the same length as normal starter but the frame in between hits are noticeably shorter for short starters.

So the more hits you add, the more likely the combo will drop somewhere which requires more frames in between moves. This applies also on air starters so careful on that as well.

CT doesn't have bonus proration by the way and has a bad P2 value unless you partially charge it (max version gives the same P2 value as partial which is 100).

Should also note that some overhead starters have become short starters too.

Edited by Solemen
typo and details

35 minutes ago, Solemen said:

I think they made short starter combo almost the same length as normal starter but the frame in between hits are noticeably shorter for short starters.

While I'd like to think that is the cause, I don't think so. If 2A is still a short starter, how come I cannot do j.B > j.A > j.B > dj.B > dj.C in the 5B starter combo like in CPEX?

Simply put, my theory is that either 2A is also now a normal starter move and normal starter was nerfed to be similiar to CPEX's short starter rating combos, or ALL moves are short starter ratings now, expect 6B which is very short. Also, 2A > 5B > 5C > Rosen vs 2B > 5B > 5C > Rosen. In both cases, the opponent techs at the same time... you would expect them to fall further in the latter case, as... 2B would be a "normal" starter.

I hope that it's a glitch regarding the PC version, as Bullet and Ragna could still combo moves late in their combos... Valk is the only one plagued with this issue, it seems.

Back to Valk, worst of all, I get the same hitstun issue if I use moves like 5C, 2C, or, heck even... 6C fatal. So this either HAS to be a port glitch, or Valk's moves have really been hit hard with the nerf bat... or maybe I am not used to CF's defintion of "normal starter combos"

Edited by Mr.Ownage
additional info