kosmos badgirl

[CF] Blazblue CENTRAL FICTION: News and Gameplay Discussion

Am I the only one who thinks that ASW is running out of ideas? Hibiki has the same swords as the characters in Shingeki no Kyojin.

Really? REALLY?

Potemkin's Gigantor vs GaoGaiGar's Heaven and Hell

Zappa and Venom look straight out of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure while S-Ko is basically Sadako from The Ring

Justice vs Evangelions

Jam vs Kenshiro

Axl Low vs Axl Rose

Slayer vs Alberto from Giant Robo

Millia vs Menou from Flame of Recca

this

or this

and of course

and probably a ton i'm forgetting

It's not running out of ideas, it's called getting inspired and paying homage.

Ppl are sayin "omg they stole this from that!" But its never "omg they made it more interesting by adding this from that!"

Though it is slightly off topic...

In swordplay the tip of the blade is primarily used to make small cuts with the primary intention of wearing the opponent down in a duel. Hibiki is not supposed to be a straight up fighter (several characters point this out in the victory quotes against that were found in CPEX) but rather his skills lend to being an assassin, what with his ability to go completely undetected. The blades are still going to be thin enough to stab someone if need be, but Hibiki would be gunning to kill his opponent in a single blow, or failing that, cripple them severely, (hakumen seems to be employing the exact same mindset with his nox since his is blunted as well) so the tip is pretty much pointless for him, since he really shouldn't be getting into any straight up sword fighting in the first place.

I mean, he's obviously going to, but I see no issue with him foregoing something that's pretty unnecessary for his job, especially if he's confident enough in his abilities to make threats to Jin. So it's not purely a homage either.

Really? REALLY?

Potemkin's Gigantor vs GaoGaiGar's Heaven and Hell

Zappa and Venom look straight out of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure while S-Ko is basically Sadako from The Ring

Justice vs Evangelions

Jam vs Kenshiro

Axl Low vs Axl Rose

Slayer vs Alberto from Giant Robo

Millia vs Menou from Flame of Recca

this

or this

and of course

and probably a ton i'm forgetting

It's not running out of ideas, it's called getting inspired and paying homage.

And Izayoi is a gundam and Bang goes super saiyan (and has spiral gurren lagann eyes during his astral) and don't even let me get started on Platinum and her encyclopedic mahou shoujou anime movelist naming sense.

This is less running out of ideas and more the people who watch the anime and like them being the people who are expected to buy this series thus they are being catered to. It's a GOOD thing.

Well obviously a game can't teach you things like OS and such because those are discovered at various stages of the game's life.  Look at games like ST and Melee where people uncover things decades after release.  Deeper things like that IMO are also what separated intermediate players (that's me!) from advanced players.  You gotta learn the game itself before you can go beneath the surface.

Actually, Xrd had the grab OS in the basic tutorial's early parts. The games won't hit consoles until they have already been out for arcade competition for months already meaning that most OSs will already be well developed and set in stone. They can easily just ask players and look into it and include some in the tutorial for the console version.

Though it is slightly off topic...

In swordplay the tip of the blade is primarily used to make small cuts with the primary intention of wearing the opponent down in a duel. Hibiki is not supposed to be a straight up fighter (several characters point this out in the victory quotes against that were found in CPEX) but rather his skills lend to being an assassin, what with his ability to go completely undetected. The blades are still going to be thin enough to stab someone if need be, but Hibiki would be gunning to kill his opponent in a single blow, or failing that, cripple them severely, (hakumen seems to be employing the exact same mindset with his nox since his is blunted as well) so the tip is pretty much pointless for him, since he really shouldn't be getting into any straight up sword fighting in the first place.

I mean, he's obviously going to, but I see no issue with him foregoing something that's pretty unnecessary for his job, especially if he's confident enough in his abilities to make threats to Jin. So it's not purely a homage either.

Hmm, this doesn't make sense to me. If he's an assassin then having a sharp weapon is almost mandatory. You want your kills to be as quick as possible. Having a weapon that doesn't kill immediately increases the chances he'll be caught in the action. If he's using blunt weapons to beat the person to death, then there's also the chance the person may scream... it just seems so unprofessional to me. Plus he's using two weapons. You only need one to assassinate someone so he doesn't really scream assassin to me from a practical standpoint. His weapons actually make me think he wants to straight up fight since he's wielding two. For instance, parry with one weapon, attack with the other. That sort of thing.

But that's just realistic stuff. In anime assassins can be flashy and impractical and Hibiki does seem like an interesting character to me. I like the weapon style.

Only the tips of his swords are blunted. They still have cutting edges. No fencing for hibiki, but he can still slice open your throat like a hot knife through butter.

Just as an aside, I vote to describe all of Hibiki's techniques as culinary terms.

Just as an aside, I vote to describe all of Hibiki's techniques as culinary terms.

Celica already does that, though hers are all sweets. I expect them to be bird-themed since he has a ton of birds in his portrait artwork.

blazblue has always been conscious about its anime references (meaning they are all quite intentional), just look at the palletes that we keep getting. Hibiki's swords is just the most obvious SnK reference, he is literally a pallete swap from looking exactly like he came out of that anime:

halfcloak worn on top of military uniform: check

haircut that is really similar to Armin's: check (though his style and hair color also brings Mikasa to mind)

huge and extremely impractical sword scabbard in an almost rectangle shape: check

he is here to kill all the titans gigants

In general, the whole game is simply a big mash-up of everything that is popular, and usually trendy, in japanese anime/vg culture. From bang's "believe in me who believes in you" line, to ragna's bounty and red jacket (straight up trigun references) and and hakumen's zero cs voice and Izayoi's gundam stuff. Gaogaigar seems to be an anime that Mori really likes, as you can find bits of it anywhere sector-seven related (genesic emerald tager buster, tager's gaogaigar pallete, hakumen's csex and cp Guy Sishioh palletes, Kokonoe's broken magnum bunker, the list goes on).

It doesn't even stop at the references. The game is full of trope lampshadings and sports an all-star voice actor cast. Blazblue wouldn't be the same without all this.

Celica already does that, though hers are all sweets. I expect them to be bird-themed since he has a ton of birds in his portrait artwork.

I was thinking more along the lines of actual cooking terms rather than food names. Thinking it over, though, it might come across as a little too cornball for a character who's pretty clearly meant to be a major player instead of a jokey character like Celica or Tao.

What I'm curious about is that bottom panel on the first image, with Mai in it. Is it supposed to imply she's the next reveal or something?

I feel like we need a separate info thread so people don't repost old stuff.

What I'm curious about is that bottom panel on the first image, with Mai in it. Is it supposed to imply she's the next reveal or something?

No, it's just a "You might've heard of BlazBlue from here" sort of thing.

I feel like we need a separate info thread so people don't repost old stuff.

No, it's just a "You might've heard of BlazBlue from here" sort of thing.

I'm actually pretty relieved at that. Nothing against Mai or anything, but putting any non-Taro RH character in before him would be a bit weak.

Welp, I think I have a feeling what Hibiki's gag reel will be.

I was more or less banking on one where he goes full on Gordon Ramsey on Noel. A throwback to the Kagutsuchi Puffer Fish one in CS, mayhaps.

blazblue has always been conscious about its anime references (meaning they are all quite intentional), just look at the palletes that we keep getting. Hibiki's swords is just the most obvious SnK reference, he is literally a pallete swap from looking exactly like he came out of that anime:

halfcloak worn on top of military uniform: check

haircut that is really similar to Armin's: check (though his style and hair color also brings Mikasa to mind)

huge and extremely impractical sword scabbard in an almost rectangle shape: check

he is here to kill all the titans gigants

In general, the whole game is simply a big mash-up of everything that is popular, and usually trendy, in japanese anime/vg culture. From bang's "believe in me who believes in you" line, to ragna's bounty and red jacket (straight up trigun references) and and hakumen's zero cs voice and Izayoi's gundam stuff. Gaogaigar seems to be an anime that Mori really likes, as you can find bits of it anywhere sector-seven related (genesic emerald tager buster, tager's gaogaigar pallete, hakumen's csex and cp Guy Sishioh palletes, Kokonoe's broken magnum bunker, the list goes on).

It doesn't even stop at the references. The game is full of trope lampshadings and sports an all-star voice actor cast. Blazblue wouldn't be the same without all this.

If anyone's doubting the amount of references in BlazBlue, just look at the different achievements over the different iterations.

Hazama's "Fangs for the memories" achievement, Ragna's "Nanomachines, Son" achievement, the list goes on.

It's part of its charm, in my opinion.

>tsubame gaeshi

if this is the name of one of his moves, arcsys i swear

i swear

And Izayoi is a gundam and Bang goes super saiyan (and has spiral gurren lagann eyes during his astral) and don't even let me get started on Platinum and her encyclopedic mahou shoujou anime movelist naming sense.

This is less running out of ideas and more the people who watch the anime and like them being the people who are expected to buy this series thus they are being catered to. It's a GOOD thing.

Actually, Xrd had the grab OS in the basic tutorial's early parts. The games won't hit consoles until they have already been out for arcade competition for months already meaning that most OSs will already be well developed and set in stone. They can easily just ask players and look into it and include some in the tutorial for the console version.

Yes, but that's because the grab OS is something that has existed in GG for ages.  You also forget that OS can and have been discovered well after console release.  Case in point: The infamous proximity OS.  The only way this kind of thing can show up in the tutorial is if it's patched post-console launch.  And for that matter, all those SF4 OS that weren't discovered until well after the arcade versions.

If anyone's doubting the amount of references in BlazBlue, just look at the different achievements over the different iterations.

Hazama's "Fangs for the memories" achievement, Ragna's "Nanomachines, Son" achievement, the list goes on.

It's part of its charm, in my opinion.

Most likely a part of the localization.  

>tsubame gaeshi

i swear

I think we're thinking of different things here

500px-13-crop.jpg

Most likely a part of the localization.  

Damn good localization, then.

>tsubame gaeshi

i swear

Litchi's DP would like to have a word with you.

I know Hibiki's swords are an Attack on Titan reference, but that doesn't stop them from looking like giant exacto knives. Lame. :P

Maybe they're his cooking knives? His Astral is him turning the opponent into a culinary dish, varies by opponent.