Sign in to follow this  
Arkayne

[VS] General Discussion

Savior-2 stages on Savior-1 ROM. interesting.

Seems intended. Just picked up the "all about vampire savior" book which mentions EX CPU characters. Pic shows the VS2 vanity paradise stage in the screenshot.

(And congrats!)

Here's a dump of the final notes I've been holding onto from SRK. Phoboes & Pyron stuff ...

SRK Post#1300

Pyron:

Notable normal & Command moves:

- His standing Forward (MK) is an overhead attack, so mix it up after some crouching attacks to confuse your opponent.

- Pyron old jumping punches (from Darkstalkers aka Cosmo Dive) are still avaliable by pressing down and P , however if your opponent guards them the have huge recovery time cause Pyron "bounces" off them.

- Use his dashing Fierce (HP) to catch opponents off guard but dont overuse it because when guarded there is some recovery time.

- His standing Fierce is pretty usefull, it comes out pretty quick.

- Pyron has an air-throw (f.HP)

Special Moves

Soul Smasher: QCF, P (also useable in air)

*His fireball, jab goes the normal projectile route, strong goes a bit forward and then arcs up, the Fierce version almost immediately arcs up. So the Strong and Fierce are a reasonable anti-air.*

Zodiac Attack: DP, P (Guard Cancel)

*Turns into a wheel of fire and lashes forward. Although it looks like Fierce version would go full-screen it doesnt it goes about 3/4 (kind of like Cables Time Flip in MvC2). Use it to punish your opponent when makes a mistake and your about half screen away.*

Orbital Blaze: QCB, K (must be in air)

*Pyrons version of the hurricane kick, goes arced downwards, be

careful not to abuse this one, because its punishable.

Galaxy Trip: BDP, P or K (also useable in air)

*Teleport: which P or K use will decide the location;

Ive mapped them out in screen location below.

LP MP HP

LK MK HK

so LP takes Pyron left-up and HK right-down of the battlefield etc.

It takes a bit longer to actually teleport after Pyron dissappears, so be careful.*

Planet Burning: HCB, MP or HP

*Special throw, does decent damage.*

NOTE ALL PYRON SPECIALS CAN BE USED AS ES MOVES (EXCEPT FOR THE

GALAXY TRIP)

EX Moves:

Cosmo Disruption: HCF, PP or KK (charge PP or KK for bigger explosion)

*Kind of fireworks display, PP detonates mid-screen and KK full-screen away. This move gets powered up by Dark Force*

Piled Hell: DP, KK (alos usable in air)

* Turns into a pillar of fire, not really useful. However I find it quite effect to preform it while jumping over your opponent)

Dark Force Power:

Shining Gemini: D, F, DF, PP

* Creates a clone which follows up your attacks with one of his own.

Heres a list:

Button Move Done

P = d + HK (slidekick)

D + P = Dashing HP

jump + P = Orbiter Blaze

K = Zodiac Attack

D + K = Dashing HK

jump + k = Cosmo Dive

If you do a special move with punch it counts as a standing or

jumping P (depending if the move is done on air or ground)

Also, if you do an EX move the twin will mimic it perfectly but

without damaging the enemy.

GENERAL STRATEGY & TIPS:

- Pyron is best agressively, confuse your opponent with the Galaxy Trip and then unleash or jump in with a chain combo

(deep junping HK, cr. LK, cr. MK, cr. HK, Pursuit attack is on of his best BB combos) and use his throw alot.

- The Galaxy Trip can be done endlessly, it can even be canceled in the Air Soul Smasher or Orbital Blaze or even Piled Hell. Occasionally teleport in close and try to nail a Planet Burning.

- Against jump-in opponent use the MP or HP Soul Smasher or use the Galaxy Trip to teleport in the air behind them and then unleash the Orbital Blaze or Air Soul Smasher.

- After preforming the Cosmo Dispruption, jump or rush the opponent and try to sucker them in. If they guard it punish them with a Planet Burning.

- Follow up any throw or knockdown move with his Pursuit Attack,

Pyrons will almost always connect.

this isnt cfe... so teleporting for "mixup" isnt as effective.. or safe.

-his flashy seizure super is chargeable... I dunno how safe it is for the opponent to gc... but they'll likely be able to keep you away with a well timed tech(assuming they're in blockstun from the super).

-his air d+p moves.. ARENT overheads

Aside from that, soilder zero likely can give you more/better advice than I.

I'll put up the VS2 or VS vid i have of him if ya'd like

Heroic Legacy @SRK. Post#3820

V Sav Phobos Bullshit:

-High/Low missile shots deal good blockstun and are good enough that if you are caught in the air he can dash jab you for an unblock. ES Missiles keep you there really long and do decent chip.

-Mines take a while to set up but once they are activated if your opponent rushes you down you can pushblock them into the mine and then dash in to combo them. ES Mines makes this even worse because it lays 2 mines out and you can do dumb shit like Pushblock (Mine 1) dash c.lp c.mp (Mine 2) c.lk c.mk c.hk And ES Mines hit 3 times each.

-His normals are absurdly good. I think he has the best j.lk in the game. Reaches like 1 1/2 Sasquatches away from him at a 30 degree angle down.

-While airdashing he can block.

-Darkforce summons 2 more Phobos machines that fire lasers for every button pressed. And gives him flight. So you can have crossup lasers and fuzzies with j.lk and what not. NO RECOVERY ON IT since it is a flight mode. If you find yourself in trouble, just pop this and mash lk. They will die really fast.

Pyron

Pyron feels like the most fun character to play in the game.

QCF+P: fireballs veer off in different arcs depending on strength. You can do it airborne too. Airborne ES version causes a pillar of light to shoot up if it hits the ground. Pretty much locks opponent in place if behind it.

DP+P: Wheel. Knocks down on hit. Strength seems to effect number of hits/speed. But also startup. You can do c.lk c.lk lp wheel and it'll combo but c.lk c.lk mp wheel doesn't. Same with hp wheel. This is his guard cancel and on ES GC it does around 15%.

QCB+K in the air: Tatsumaki that descends. It kinda sucks unless you time it so the last kick hits them on the ground. It juggles all the hits in the ES version.

RDP+any: teleports him to any space corresponding to the button you pressed. Can be done multiple times without recovery. Startup is about 15 frames so you can get hit out of it where you are.

Fireworks+ HCF+2P/K: Pyron holds a ball in his hand and the longer you hold down the buttons the longer he charges up. When he throws it forward the screen sparkles and 2 seconds later is filled with fireworks explosions that do decent chip/damage and puts them in the air. You can jump and reset them after the explosions or you can ES Tatsu to get the rest of the hits on them. Very good on their wakeup. Punches puts them closer to you. Kicks fullscreen explosions. 50/50 blockstun on their wakeup roll then.

DP+2K: Doesn't exist. Punishable on hit. Pillar of light forms and he laughs at you. Then you laugh at him and kill him for being dumb.

Dark Force: summons another Pyron that does a move corresponding to negative edge buttons. Not that great. Nice mixups though when you jump and they are put in blockstun through shadow wheel

c.hk is a slide that is terrible on block. Free punish. (Put it this way, I did Reversal ES Big Blow with Sas and it hit.)

f+mp is a sideways fountain that has a terrible hitbox and if you hit with it, it isn't cancelable so you just get punished until his dash ends. (Cannot be canceled with back or jump)

s.mp is an uppercut that reaches 75% of the screen above Pyron.

f+hp is a forward drill that hits 3 times and knocks down. On block it is terrible since you have to wait for him to stop dashing.

s.hp is a 2 hit uppercut that goes up the entirety of the screen.

s.mk is an overhead

In the air you can hold down and push a punch button to get a 45 degree angle descent with that normal. Unfortunately, it isn't overhead. And on block you bounce off. Better to use them as a crossup on their wakeup. On hit they don't bounce off but you have to hit deep to combo them after.

Feliniki @SRK. Post#3831

I don't know about unblockables, but that recent Japanese VS2 tourney had an instance of some sort of glitch with Phobos's Dark Force causing 35 hits at once for around 50% damage.

It happens at about 13:50 in this video (scroll down the page to watch the video): http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm13112980 - nicozon Pyron's Zodiac Flare trades hits with Phobos's Ray of Doom Dark Force, and Pyron takes 35 hits and over 50% damage.

Another weird glitch was demonstrated on Sakamoto's stream shortly before that tournament. If Pyron does a Cosmo Disruption after Bulleta does Cool Hunting, it will do a TON of hits.

Edited by Kyle

Can someone tell me about GGPO becuase i am frustrated. I played theflyingdeadman, and before i played him, i looked at bishamons frame data, most of his normals were pretty fast, not much faster than Jedah's fastest so I made shure to frame trap him with those. What came to me was a surprise, it looked as though 90% of his normals came out in 2 frames, even renda canceling on him did virtually nothing to his speed demon normals, as i linked 2 jabs then when for an overhead Lk, which was punished in an instant. Is that frame data inaccurate, becuase I looked at it so many times, but it seemed as though my fastest normals were like extremely slow to him. His umps felt way too fast for me to even punish them, and his attacks seemed as though his hitboxes were WAAAAAAAAAAAAY in the back. What the hell?

What frame data are you looking at? Bishamon and Jedah have roughly the same speed normals, but Bish has a lot of slower normals. Jedah also has a 4-frame startup attack, and Bish has no attack that fast. Also...Overhead LK?

Also, keep in mind that knowing the Frame Data is not the same thing as knowing the timing. You might have frame advantage but if you don't know exactly when you can attack again, it doesn't always matter. This is especially true in VS where people need to hit attack buttons in order to pushblock; if they attempted a pushblock and you attacked way too late, it'll look like they're just coming out of hitstun mashing the Jab button.

Okay guys, I need you to tell me not to cry on this game. I love it. I just adore it. I read the forum the wikis and watch every videos and consider myself quite knowledgeable about the game, even if a lot of guys are better than me because they clearly are better. But I haven't been playing for two months, and my last session on ggpo was a disaster, I could do my combos alright in training mode but fighting a guy online I seemed to loose to everything he was doing (and that was a mirror match !) and drop every hit confirm. It was kind of laggy, but not much. Do you think I shuold just drop it, or have you noticed too some absolutely unfair situation when you were ggpoing ?

I have a similar question and am in a similar situation. A couple months ago, I dropped all other fighters to make this my main (and only) one and to actually get serious with it instead of just talking about it all the time and lurking videos/databases. I can pull off my BnB's and all that in training, but unless I'm against someone else who's also new, I get bodied endlessly. And though I come close to beating a better player or beat them a time or two, it's usually terrible. As in, I can barely escape the corner/start my own pressure and even flub a simple magic series more often than not. I feel like I'm learning but I can't apply and just keep mashing only to get blown up. I'm not dropping the game because I have a lot of fun with it, I enjoy learning, and I want to get better. I just feel like I should be at least seeing a little progress but I feel like I've barely gotten anywhere and am still just a mashy scrub. Is this normal? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

I was going to post this in the Facebook group, but figured it didn't need a big scrubby self-centered paragraph clogging it up.

Edited by GWONAM

Without really seeing what's going on, I can offer two pieces of general advice:

1. If you are practicing this game anywhere else but on an emulator, know that Vampire Savior is meant to run at 59 Frames Per Second while GGPO (and probably all other emus) run it at 60 FPS. I've heard that for some people this can make a huge difference in their timing. Even in my case, without having known that for the longest time, I noticed that sometimes, certain maneuvers simply felt easier when I wasn't on GGPO. So, if you're practicing somewhere else, you might just wanna practice on an emulator.

2. The single biggest problem I see with people in this game is that they try to use their knowledge from other fighting games. Yes, there are certainly some things you can learn from other fighters that will help you in Vampire Savior; however, a lot of familiar features from other games are implemented much differently in Vampire Savior. It's a game which requires players to empty their cups, so to speak.

Sorry if none of this helps, but it's hard to give specific advice without watching you guys in action. If you see me on feel free to ask me to spec (or anyone, actually - there's a lot of good players around that would love to help).

Yeah, I knew that about the emulators/GGPO speed.

That's a good way of putting it. Upback gets destroyed in this game because of grounded normal properties and it's something I really need to cut out, which I can only do through playing more.

And thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Edited by GWONAM

first post.

greetings to all

isnt there a difference though between GGPO and Supercade, even though they are both Final Burn? I notice that while Supercade does seem laggier, especially at long distance matches, there is less of a chance for inputs to get lost like on GGPO.

Now fact is that Vampire Savior is not popular on Supercade, but when I tried to perform Lei Lei's Ultra, it was much easier to connect input timings on Supercade than on GGPO. This holds especially true for games like King of Fighters. One decent player of that game told me that GGPO does not favour keyboard players, where depending on ping and net speed, client changes at least 50 % of keyboard inputs. While on Supercade he can perform timers of every character, together with normal and hidden ultras much easier

VSAV Peeps,

I'm back from Vacation & wanted to share some of the latest happenings w/ our lil' vampire scene.

-Just a few weeks back Patrick Walter (Lion'sEye) Had written an article detailing his first year w/ competative fighting games. This is predominately focused on VSAV, so anyone interested in either subject should give it a look-see.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?372-One-Year-In-Vampire-Arcadia-A-Beginner-s-Journey

- Mark Young (FLESHPOUNDER) has an interesting discover about the system mechanic of DarkForce recovery. Anyone who has standing/crouching BnB's should give this a read, it's very important & I have not seen this documented before.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?11972-Vsav-Engine-Stratagems-Everyone-can-do-except-Anak-%28&p=1331666&viewfull=1#post1331666

- YouTube Channel "ArcadeLegacy" has uploaded all singles matches recorded (minus the 3 that didn't get recorded :[ ) from PowerUp2012. Check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcadeLegacy?ob=0

- Youtube Channel "ArcadeLegacy" has uploaded a highlight real of top8 singles. See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rQVvrA-Kgo&list=UUU9zdNkryzEiVnAtVXVrLQQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

- Expect the highlight reel for the entirety of the singles (Minus top8) to go up this evening. Just check the "ArcadeLegacy"

- This holiday weekend is VSAV's 2nd/Last Major of the season. UFGT in Chicago. I encourage all to attend. At this time, Vampire is not scheduled for stream time/exhibitions. Singles starts & completes on Friday the 25th. Good luck to our participants, Hopefully Pockets makes it out to a Major. =P

- In the upcoming weeks, ArcadeLegacy plans to release a podcast VSAV roundtable, talking about the defining qualities of VSAV which are critical to the franchise w/ hopes that any future iteration could maintain these aspects. We're not going to sit around and complain about comeback mechanis. We're gonna talk about what makes VSAV unique & what select people feel is critical to the Feel/MetaGame of Vampire.

- DCC is in November! Thanks to Taku Sasuni for the update. No release on format yet. Quick FYI: "Sasuni" translates to big brother sasquatch. lol

- In the undefined future, ArcadeLegacy plans to release one more tutorial vids showing exactly how RENDA bonus works. This should clear up all questions regarding the mechanic and the application. really, it would be stellar if DESK did it. I know it would be baller, precise & he would enjoy some of the flashy combos.

I created, sticky & locked a new thread w/ link to frame data & important website. I didn't feel this info was easy enough to find. This should correct that.

Just a heads up, for any of you attending EVO this year, I should be set up @ the Godlike Controls booth for you folks to playtest the UD-CPS2 :yaaay: If I don't have room for 2 setups, I'll just make a point to rotate VS and ST throughout the weekend :grin:

In other news, check out this boss Q-Bee arcade stick that pro fightstick builder B15 has lovingly crafted: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/check-out-my-new-arcade-stick-no-image-quoting.75228/page-490#post-7170744

-ud

Wow that is awesome, I am dying to play on one of those. Right now we're kinda worried about having a supergun set up for pad players to play on, so maybe we'll just send them over to you with a usb pad, haha.

Phobos Dark Force/Transformation infinite in Vampire Savior Arrange, Vampire Chronicle(on Savior or Savior 2), Vampire Savior 2, Vampire Hunter 2

Fly low mash lp like there is no tomorrow, i'm not joking.

Sorry I didn't get to go hang w/ the VS crew @ EVO. I was pretty much on lockdown w/ my UD-CPS2 demo table. Didn't have room to run 2 setups as I'd intended, so just ran ST so the Tournament of Legends crowd could come scrutinize it for me :D I certainly plan on checking out the archived VS matches.

-ud

Yeah, Darkstalkers has this property where certain frames of animation continue to animate during impact freeze. It makes recovery time on hit/block different that you might expect at first. One of the problems with Chronicle was that this property was removed, making the recovery of many moves longer.

A roundtable podcast. Just a few weeks old. Forgot to post here. Give it a listen if you're interested in some critical thinking regarding VSAV.

http://www.powerupfighters.com/2012/06/powerup-podcast-episode-78-vampire-roundtable-ii/

I try and keep up to date w/ Nathan's podcasts, so I actually listened to this last weekend :D Enjoyable listening!

Oh, by the way, I was flipping through some old GAMEST issues, last night, and I came across what looks like some potentially cool VSAV info/interview material. Problem is I can't read Japanese :( If anyone is game, I can scan/upload for someone to xlate for the rest of those interested.

-ud

Edited by undamned

I try and keep up to date w/ Nathan's podcasts, so I actually listened to this last weekend :D Enjoyable listening!

Oh, by the way, I was flipping through some old GAMEST issues, last night, and I came across what looks like some potentially cool VSAV info/interview material. Problem is I can't read Japanese :( If anyone is game, I can scan/upload for someone to xlate for the rest of those interested.

-ud

How many pages are these interviews? I'd like to take a look prease!

How many pages are these interviews? I'd like to take a look prease!

Mmm, I think it was like 3 total? I'll try and scan them tonight! :v:

-ud

Sign in to follow this