Sign in to follow this  
Arkayne

[VS] General Discussion

Fish trap command grab info, this apply for LeiLei as well?

bish/sassy get super armor.

lei lei/aubath gets hyper. I'm pretty sure she cannot be thrown in this state.

Japanese competitive play:

- Very patient at neutral

- Qbee, Bishamon & Jedah do more Guard-Cancels than any other character. The GC-OS is legit and should be abused.

- Tech-Hit w/ a staggered (2)-Finger Slide.

- Cannot 1-frame DarkForce on wake-up. Can only DarkForce on frame-2.

- Players actually use kara-pursuits for meter gain

- Their defense is very strong

Specific things I will be working on to improve my Morrigan:

- More stand blocking

- Less Reversal-ShadowBlade

- Use cr.lk, st.mk xx Demon instead of cr.lk, cr.mp, st.mk xx Demon

- Faster confirms on Tech-Hits. Tech-hit than move/approach/counterpoke/dash etc.

- More tricky throw/low mix-ups. J.mk is not going to be reliable in competitive play

Arcades I visited:

- Mikado @Baba.

- Amusement-Ace

- Club Sega @Akihabara

- Club Sega @Shinjuku

- Teitou Station @Akihabara

players I’ve met: I got to do matches w/ 31 of these 36 players XD

KEN_Gallon

Kaji_Lilith

Sakamoto_Qbee

Kosho_Bulleta

Komemaru_Zabel

EGO_LeiLei

DD_Sas

Oouchi_Jedah

Shimatsuya_Jedah

Uminoko_Aulbath

General-Madulass_LeiLei

SHUU_Bishamon

Oshi_Felicia

Paprika_Demitri

Fuunio_Qbee

Buzz_Gallon

Nishiken_Morrigan

Nakanishi_Bishamon

Sasunii_Sasquatch

Kowappa_Sasquatch

Sasazuka_LeiLei/Morrigan

OliveOil_Jedah

Seri_Morrigan

Guratan_Felicia

Ran-T_Bishamon

Chikyuu_Anakaris

Hisachi_LeiLei

Okekebei_Sasquatch

STO_LeiLei

To-Ho_Bulleta

ShigShig_Bulleta

MAB_Gallon

Tsuchineko_Qbee

Matsuoka_LeiLei

Yamamoto_Lilith

OraOra-Q_Qbee

NEO_Bishamon

TKO_Sasquatch

Edited by Kyle

I'm surprised that Demitri isn't a character that does more guard cancels than other characters. I thought he had one of the best ones in the game.

There's like 5 Club Sega's in Akihabara.

Did you play at Taito HEY on that machine where all the buttons seem to work fine on their own, but somehow refuse to register when you try to do EX moves. Because I was pretty baffled by that thing. (only played one game on P2 side, or whichever side is facing the wall)

- Less Reversal-ShadowBlade

You should move that to "zero reversal Shadow Blades" since you can't actually Piano Reversal attacks in Vampire Savior. Getting a Reversal consistently is way more difficult compared to other fighters because of this.

- Use cr.lk, st.mk xx Demon instead of cr.lk, cr.mp, st.mk xx Demon

Make sure other Morrigan players see this too. I don't know why they try anything else mid-screen - I especially see a lot of C.Lk -> S.Hp xx DI.

The Japanese VSAV scene informally meets up four to six days a week. Tuesday thru Sunday, they all arrive at intended arcades (game centers) from 5pm - 11pm. These locations differ per day and are located all around Tokyo. (This rotation helps support all arcades in Tokyo, not just their favorites.) Every scheduled arcade I was able to visit, has at least (4) head-to-head VSAV setups. Mikado @Baba events had (7). Players stand in a horizontal line behind all the cabinets and wait their turn to spend 50-Yen. All plays are one-match. You lose once, you get off the machine, stand in line and chat w/ friends about VSAV. (1) match is quick, like a samurai. Super effective for exhausted Tournament Organizers.

The Japanese VSAV community has three distinct player bases. The initial wave of players from 1997 when the title released in the arcades. This includes their most experienced bunch, players like BUZZ_Gallon, KEN_Gallon, Oouchi_Jedah & EGO_LeiLei have been around since the first day. A few years into the life of VSAV, Tougeki-2004 hosted the title and brought in a new, slightly younger player base. I believe this is players like Futana_Jedah, Kaji_Lilith, Hisacchi_LeiLei, To-Ho_Bulleta. Finally, ~2010 a new wave of rookies joined the vsav scene, KEN_Gallon & EGO_LeiLei started an event to bring in newer players by hosting rookie-only tournaments. This invited their latest wave of players, OliveOil_Jedah, Oshi_Felicia, RYNE_Felicia, Matsuoka_LeiLei, SERI_Morrigan, etc. Good luck to Jay-Duck (formerly 2KNL8) as he recently joins the JP rookie scene, coming from Cincy, Ohio!

Initial release: http://www.youtube.com/user/ukio987

Second Wave- http://darkstalkers.wordpress.com/category/tougekisbo/

Third Wave- http://www.youtube.com/user/Celimorrigan

Japanese transportation is vastly different from their international competitors. The train system is so efficient, effective & cheap that cars are not the dominating transportation method. Similar to New York, even if you choose to drive, good-luck finding a parking spot. Trains start at 5am and leave, on-time, flawlessly, until “last-train” around midnight. If you happen to miss the last-train, or choose to leave the last train because you have to pee that bad, you’ll have to get a cab or a hotel.

Coupling the reliability of the trains with Japan’s lack of “Public Intoxication” laws, drinking is an important pastime. Just like the FGC here in the states, players enjoy going out, chatting matches, dissecting strategies, eating good food and having beers with great company. When we able to meet up with their players, most would leave the arcades about 10pm and head out to dinner. Restaurants or Izakaya, Nama-Beeru was guaranteed!

While I was growing in Guilty Gear (~2007), our community in middle-Kentucky learned that dinner talks were just as advantageous as the match-grind. I was completely humbled and happy to see that JP VSAV players have been doing this since 1997. I too, learned equal VSAV details while Big-Brunching than grinding matches.

After playing long sets with JP’s, I believe the quality that far supersedes USA’s VSAV play is tenacious defense. Japanese players can block, very well, for a long periods. These players can TechHit the first attack, read empty cross-up’s, landing lows and DarkForce out of psychic throws. This quality is probably the biggest reason why we see so few successful Low tier characters in Japan. Players like Kaji_Lilith, Oouchi_Jedah, Kame_Victor, Shimatsuya_Jedah, Oboro_Victor, Chikyuu_Anakaris & Dara_Demitri are inspirational to the eastern VSAV scene as much as the western community. Kaji’s mind is like a computer.

Just a regular match, no big event. Notice how many times the players have confrontations and how few times actual damage is dealt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC2846Zpl1g

I'll take that as a no.

From what I hear about the 3rd Strike scene, it seems kinda of similar. I wish I had been able to have that kind of experience with VF while I was in Tokyo, but my combined lack of Japanese skills, and fear of people in general made that kind of impossible for me.

Also, if you can afford a taxi you are rich, and I am angry with envy. The couple times I missed last train I just stayed out all night. I mean, it's only like 4-5 hours...of pacing around, going in and out of conbini's, and maybe stopping at a Sukiya, and eating a beef bowl really slowly because it's cold and drizzling outside. :( Although on the bright side, when the only guy working there accidentally knocked my tea over, he was grossly apologetic, and gave out free ice cream!

...I'll stop the off-topic rambling now, I just miss Japan is all.

There's like 5 Club Sega's in Akihabara.

Did you play at Taito HEY on that machine where all the buttons seem to work fine on their own, but somehow refuse to register when you try to do EX moves. Because I was pretty baffled by that thing. (only played one game on P2 side, or whichever side is facing the wall)

Oh, I didn't know! Which of the (5), I have no idea. >_<

We once had a cabinet problem in which command-supers would not register. This was due to a lack of sufficient power. weird, huh. B/c the vsav ran, but not the command super!

The Taxi cost $105 b/c I had to drunkely pee. lol. there went a fraction of my vacation funds. Good times tho.

We missed "last-train" (3) times and only did a Taxi once. We stayed at a 24-hour diner and drank the night away. =D

bish/sassy get super armor.

lei lei/aubath gets hyper. I'm pretty sure she cannot be thrown in this state.

It's obvious vs Aulbath, but I did confirm it vs LeiLei that neither regular or EX command grab works against her while her DF is activated. Either MP or MK comes out and that's it.

Updated character threads to include all nuances I recalled in a previous post.

Edited by Kyle

Just got this game.

Do you like it so far???

X-post for those not on Facebook.

http://darkstalkers.moryou.com/savior/data-s/aulbath-s/aulbath-s.html

What do the different colors on the active hitbox frame data mean? Some are pink, some are brown.

Pink sections are ones with the "ignore hitstop" property. Those sections of animation will continue to advance even during hitstop.

So to make up for no DCC this year, Judgement Day is coming back on Dec. 22. Savior 3 on 3, plus Hunter singles. Also the annual Darkstalkers Carnival will be happening the day before. No Savior 2 or Hunter 2 this year, but DS1, Hunter, and Savior will all be featured.

Edited by felineki

Can you explain "hitstop" to me? I've heard Xenozip talk about it as well, that apparently you have the duration of a move's hitstop to perform an AG. However, I've never had it defined and I've never found any hitstop data, lol. This is a subject that I'd definitely like to know more about.

Can you explain "hitstop" to me? I've heard Xenozip talk about it as well, that apparently you have the duration of a move's hitstop to perform an AG. However, I've never had it defined and I've never found any hitstop data, lol. This is a subject that I'd definitely like to know more about.

So if you press HK with say Aulbath, and it whiffs you see the complete animation for that move right? So let's say that s.HK hits a blocking character. There's an extra "pause" time that's added to that move. That period of "pausing" is called hitstop. It's more recognizable in other games like GGXX though.

My apologies if the explanation is extremely obtuse. I'm typing this before I start maintenance on my network... #dedication

Ahh, okay, yeah I know what you're talking about. By the way, would blockstop be the same as hitstop? I realized after reading your explanation, that it was the duration of blockstop that you have to perform an AG, not hitstop. But, I guess it doesn't matter if it's the same thing, i.e hitstop creates blockstop.

...Actually, there's a definition in the VSav Wiki:

"blockstop: The duration in which you are unable to switch your guard while blocking an attack. This is also usually the window of time that you are able to input a tech hit or guard cancel, and is a time prior to entering blockstun where your character is frozen in place and not being knocked back."

Is that right? It sounds legit, lol.

From what I understand, different moves have different values of block stop. Jedah J.HK compared to Felicia's J.HP, for example.

I have Resurrection xbla, please add me so that we can practice, I really wanna learn this game and play it

I'll be available for matches... What time zone are you in??? My gt is JINXHAND.

I'm in the same boat as legendarycurry. Have both Resurrection (for XBL) and GGPO. Main Lilith; want get better in Vsav and fighters in general. GGPO handle is the same as my GT.

Thanks again TAI-X. May not land LI as often as I'd like; have to keep at it. Have to fool around with kara-inputs, could help with landing them off single hit attacks.

Sign in to follow this