Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tataki

Rising Thunder - A free fighting game from the people who brought you EVO

We'll be able to play it from the 28th. I know some people here are really good at exploring (read: breaking) new games so I'll share my project here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mj7e7iiwf5058UqiH4gcA5tYNnNmgVHlvdiCISyIA2g/edit

It contains all the known info about the game and with help it should get bigger and serve as a useful tool for everyone.

It's going to be fun to see Seth Killian go ballistic when he finds out that no one wants to play his shitty League of Legends robot fighter, and blames everyone other than himself for the game's failure. I'm totally confident in dismissing the game offhand without having played it, based on the "Smash Bros. meets MOBAs" control setup alone. It definitely could have worked in a 3D arena brawler like Anarchy Reigns or One Must Fall: Battlegrounds, but Seth had to make it 2D because it's literally all he knows.

S-Kill might consider himself TEH HARDCOREST THEORY FIGHTER EXPERT out there, and thinks he has all the answers for designing the mythical perfect fighting game, but anyone with a genuine appreciation for the genre who hasn't merely latched onto it for narcissistic e-peen extending purposes can immediately see how idiotic any of his ideas are. Seth tries to market himself as the Steve Jobs of fighting games or some shit, but he's not even close to being a visionary like Ishiwatari, Okamoto, Funamizu or even Mori - he's just another obsessive message board-dwelling autist with more free time than sense.

Capcom didn't even deem his glorified romhack of Super Turbo worthy of a Japanese release, lol.

snip

So you run your mouth about another person being less knowledgeable than he's presenting himself to be, yet it is YOU who couldn't even do basic research and ended up shit talking about a completely different person.

Please avoid derailing the thread next time.

I for one am pretty intrigued about this. I find the lack of multiplayer to be a bit disappointing but I like the overall look and I'm curious to see how well they'll adapt the LoL model to fighting games.

Wow, you can tell them apart, what autists :v:

I'll give it a try, since it's free and will most probably run on my toaster. The whole point of the alpha test is to criticize the game to hell and back, so the potential fans get a chance to enjoy it very early, while potential haters get the chance to expose its flaws ASAP. I don't have anything against simple inputs (I even enjoy fighting games with no inputs at all, like BattleCon), and the cooldowns are supposed to compensate for having single-button DPs and stuff, I suppose. I'm a little bit doubtful about the lack of local multiplayer, but it seems like they're already figuring that out. Also, I'm going to be very surprised if all those customizable move sets won't end up having some hands-down best kits that will make the whole customization process meaningless.

Also, I'm going to be very surprised if all those customizable move sets won't end up having some hands-down best kits that will make the whole customization process meaningless.

Maybe, and maybe you'll have several valid "builds" that play differently and don't overshadow each other.

I actually have high hopes for this game. The only thing that really puts me off is the lack of local VS.

Even the character designs are starting to grow on me.

Maybe, and maybe you'll have several valid "builds" that play differently and don't overshadow each other.

Well the Smash scene went through it already and to an extent so did MKX with the variations.  Won't stop people from picking something they like and making it work though.

So, i'm the only one that thinks this looks absolutely awful?

It's pre-alpha, of course it does. I'm not a person to bash a game before trying it out, though.

Tragic is the mod of the game's sub-reddit and he told me he'll post all the alpha build details when he gets an ok.

Looks fairly interesting to me. I'm not a gigantic robot geek, but the design decisions seem interesting. The game looks like it merits a fair shot when the alpha opens up.

The alpha has started, and of course, my 32-bit OS is not supported :v: At least the devs seem to be open to the idea of releasing a 32-bit version of the game later down the road, unlike something like Rise of Incarnates.

From what I've seen, the game feels about as deep as any other fighting game, combining both SF-style footsies and GG-style crazy combo potential. Ironically, it feels that the game isn't newbie-friendly enough, even with the one-button specials. I don't mind that, just feel that it contradicts the game's original goal.

Game feels very lackluster, but of course that's the idea behind it, so no surprises here. Even for an alpha, everything is smooth and gameplay feels very fluent. I can't say it's the new messiah, I like having execution barriers in fighting games and how this genre has always been about testing the player's perseverance. Still it seems very solid for an FTP online game, it just might become what Divekick was supposed to be - simple game to pwn nabs and laugh over tons of salt :) (and also cool thing to turn on during meetups with friends as long as they add offline versus)

I wouldn't be so worried about offline versus atm, it IS in alpha stage. Unless they said they wouldn't put it in or some nonsense. I mean, what's a fighting without VERSUS?

I wouldn't be so worried about offline versus atm, it IS in alpha stage. Unless they said they wouldn't put it in or some nonsense. I mean, what's a fighting without VERSUS?

There's a bunch of stuff in rising thunder that actually appears differently on each person's screen so offline versus would have to involve minimum two setups and a connection.

Ironically, it feels that the game isn't newbie-friendly enough, even with the one-button specials. I don't mind that, just feel that it contradicts the game's original goal.

After playing it a bit last night, I'd be curious to see how the game feels is they also allowed specials to be input traditionally.  For some reason, I find it much easier to associate a motion to a move rather than a button I periodically use.

I like having execution barriers in fighting games and how this genre has always been about testing the player's perseverance.

Well the timing aspect of the execution barrier is still there- you still need to link certain moves to combo.  They just removed the input motions which aren't particularly satisfying by themselves but apparently stop a lot of people from getting into fighting games.

I haven't gotten a chance to play any matches online yet but so far the only problem I have is that it doesn't seem like you have much time to confirm any combos that aren't punishes or don't start from a jump in.

Just thought I'd share this hilarious depiction of salt. This guy quit the internet just because he got outplayed on this game.

Oh wow, vids automatically get embedded now.

Yeah, that guy ended up deleting his Twitter and Twitch (which was partnered.) 

Funny stuff man. I hope I don't run into someone who gets THAT salty. 

Welp, I just got in.  I have zero enthusiasm for it, but here's my thoughts so far:

First round, my controls don't work.  Wind up losing while trying to fix it (I'm using my keyboard since my stick wouldn't work for some reson).  Wind up winning because I'm paired with someone as much of a newb to this game as me even though I lost the first round due to not being able to move.  Whatever, bugs exist.  It's alpha.

Second game I go against who I assume is the token grappler.  I figure at first that I should try to poke him to beat his throws, but they apparently have armor?  So then I figure I'll zone him and go in when he does something stupid, but he has normals with armor?  The fuck?  Wind up losing easy mode to such shenanigans.  Hopefully I can play against him again to figure out what the designers were thinking.

Overall, I hate the idea of cool down on moves.  The simplicity reminds me of Akatsuki Blitzkamp, except it doesn't feel as good.  I'll probably dick around for like 10 games, but every minute I play this I think to myself that it's a minute I'm not playing something else, and I'm trying to approach this with an open mind.  Also, while there are some chains (like I guess the default guy can chain B > C > C, there are still links like B > B (even though the second B is a different animation).  Why?

*edit*  Ok, I has update.  I played like 5 more games.  I don't like the minimalistic HUD because it makes it take longer to learn the game.  If I want to learn even the basics of how the opponent's character works I have to go into training mode and play as them rather than figuring it out mid-game.  Like, one character has a basic projectile and can use it in the air and on the ground, but I can't tell if that's the same move and the cooldown is just really short, or if he has two versions of the same move equipped or something (*second edit* Many games against different people later, it seems like this character has a slow and fast version, which I'm assuming are two different cooldowns, and since this character has what I think is a DP he/she's basically Ryu).  Having multiple load outs and not knowing what your opponent brought with them into the fight puts more emphasis on having done your homework in training mode, which is fine in competitive play since you should have learned everything anyway, but causes a hassle for new players trying to feel their way through the game (why it took so long to figure out the projectile thing, I think some people didn't carry both versions).  This is especially true since there's no local multiplayer where someone more educated can coach you through what each thing is and does.  Hell, there are a bunch of quality of life improvements that other games have made over the years that this game doesn't, like giving you an icon indicating that you blocked wrong.  I wound up getting hit by an simple mixup like 6 times before I realized what was going on since it totally looks like a low but it's actually an overhead.  Not all games need such a thing, but if your primary concern is making the game accessible, why don't they have this?  I get that it's not necessary to run their test, but if they want to make a good impression on this game being accessible they should have delayed long enough to implement a few smaller things.

Also, even though this is an Alpha, it's probably going to turn people off that the two game modes are "training" and "ranked match".  If all matches are ranked you're going to scare people into not wanting to play (they're going to lose a lot while learning, there's no way around that), and/or create an environment where people who aren't used to competition get really salty.

Also, the default guy has a sword, but it keeps losing to other characters' normals so it doesn't seem like good hitboxes are his gimmick.  I'm not sure if he's supposed to do anything special.  The menu says he's fast, but since the game is generally slow paced I can't tell if he has any sort of advantage here.  At least not in my first few games.

Anyway, I did maybe 15 games total.  Not enough to give a supported opinion on if the game is good, but it's enough to say that I don't like it.  I hope other people are enjoying it though!

Few days later and it turned out RT is just SF4 with simple controls. Hit > Combo > Reset > Stun > Finisher all day erryday' and while choosing burst saves you from this situation it also takes away your own ability to dish out damage. Jump arcs aren't well designed and ambiguous left-rights are a thing. Another stupid design choice imo as it's just guesswork.

Playing against people who keep their combo game to basic 20-25% of lifebar stuff is still very fun and full of mind games, but the game, obviously, needs a lot of polish.

The only thing that I would add is seeing your opponent's loadout. Without it even if you're familiar with the matchup you will still be hit by the first mixup as you simply don't know what's coming (and that mixup may well be your doom...). Other than that the game went the wrong direction, but for a technical alpha I'm still rather on the amazed side.

I'm rather sad as it's definitely not my type of game. I couldn't bring myself to play SF4 seriously before ultra hit and I did not expect that same boring one player gameplay from RT. That said, a lot of it can still be ironed out.