Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tataki

Rising Thunder - A free fighting game from the people who brought you EVO

Beeing playing it for a week now, and I really liked the game. It was free, the netplay used ggpo, the characters had lot's of interesting touchs like voice act in their languages, the list goes on and on.

But there's a idiosyncrasy going on there...it was marketed as begginer, pc and netplay friendly...or even more, centric. But some design decisions certainly prioritized familiarity with SF4 (and 4 in specific, not sf2, alpha or 3) over beeing beginner friendly. To say some examples, universal corner crossup, backdash short lenght and small speed, link-based combo system, design of normals utility, etc.

I'm not really a begginer, so i'm ok with the game beeing this way. There's actually a lot to differentiate it from a simplified sf4 like some chars having run style- dash instead of step, or way more frequent chains. But for sure a loooot of people will feel like beeing lied to/betrayed when they notice those decisions contradicted the marketed image.

Matchmaking don't work properly now and i wished it had a simple *put the ip/port of the host* instead. But for a alpha it's pardonable....the whole point of a alpha is to find and correct bugs anyway, including matchmaking.

Another major complain i heard people making was that there wasn't a "minimum requirement" listed in the official site, and it's heavier than a lot of people expected.

In general, i'm happy with the game, but i was kind of blessed for beeing used to play using keyboard and having win 64bits.

Like, one character has a basic projectile and can use it in the air and on the ground, but I can't tell if that's the same move and the cooldown is just really short, or if he has two versions of the same move equipped or something (*second edit* Many games against different people later, it seems like this character has a slow and fast version, which I'm assuming are two different cooldowns, and since this character has what I think is a DP he/she's basically Ryu).

If you're talking about Chel, the fireball is a single cooldown whether it's fast, slow, ground or air.  If I remember correctly though, the cooldown is pretty much instantly negated if the fireball makes contact with the opponent.  I guess they're trying to encourage players to do avoid projectiles rather than just tutle against them (while also giving the Chel player a tool to counter that by making them fast or slow).  I know Dauntless can just super right through it, for example.

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll stick to Akastuki as my "here's how a fighting game works" kind of game, but I could maybe see people getting into this.  Also, my PC defaulted the game to high settings for most things and I dropped everything down to medium just to be safe (I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get frame drops) and I still dipped under 60FPS in actual games from time to time.  The game doesn't look that fancy, so I'm kind of surprised.  My PC isn't a beast by current standards, but it wasn't a budget machine when I built it, so I wouldn't expect to have that kind of a problem when intentionally dropping the graphics from the defaults it selects based on my hardware.  But it's Alpha, that shit happens too.