• Neutral Game Breakdown
  • Okizeme vs Damage/Corner Carry
  • Bad habits to avoid
  • Closing

Credits
  • Kiba for letting me use his format
  • TheLaughingJackal for giving me the idea to make this guide
  • Baf0 for the 236D okizeme examples video
  • And to those who read this and put the time and effort into learning Lambda, this one's for you.

Introduction

Welcome to the Lambda-11 strategy guide. The purpose of this guide is to help newer players who need a push in the right direction on how to play Lambda, and to offer insight on some of Lambda's more technical aspects for experienced players. Obtaining a better understanding of how Lambda works as a character and zoner, and her weaknesses and strengths are just a few of the things that I hope you will take away from this guide. If you have something to contribute to the guide, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to include it.

Lambda is different than most characters because her drive serves as a zoning tool to keep the opponent at a distance. While zoning is not its only purpose, that is its primary use. Lambda is not without rushdown tools though, making her respectable for almost any situation that she has to face. The downside to having access to both tools, is that neither of them are very strong in their own right.

Some resources that will assist you include:
CPEX Lambda-11 Wiki - Useful for breakdowns on each of Lambda's moves
CPEX Lambda-11 FAQ Thread - An answer to any questions you may have before or after reading the guide
Lambda-11 Basic Combo Movie Part 1 - Combo resource 
Lambda-11 Basic Combo Movie Part 2 - Combo resource
Lambda-11 2D Setups - Okizeme resource
Lambda-11 236D Okizeme Examples - Okizeme resource

A little about myself:

Hi, I'm Frost, but some call me Azure as well. I've been playing Blazblue for a few years now, and two characters that I took a liking to first coming into the game were Tsubaki and Lambda. I favor characters that have fast mobility, and Tsubaki and Lambda fit that category quite well for me. Besides working to better myself as a player, I also want to do everything I can to help those who want to learn the game or a specific character. I don't mind receiving or giving critique, and especially compiling information for the benefit of others. With that being said, I hope you find this guide of use.

The Basics

As I explained previously, at her core, Lambda is a zoning character. She is designed to keep the opponent out and annoy them until they are defeated. As a result, she can be played a bit differently depending on what type of playstyle you're going for. Strictly zoning, I'll go a bit into the mechanics of her "D" strings.

Lambda can chain up to three D based normals before she has to cancel it into a jump or special if she wants to continue pressuring or comboing the opponent. (ex. 5D (blocked) > 6D (blocked) > 4D (hit) > JC > j.6D > j.5D > j.2D > j.214D) Now that you know how her D strings work, I'll go into some D blockstrings that you'll be using often and in what kind of situations you would end up using them.

Blockstrings:
  • 5D > 4D > special move - The common D into overhead string, if successfully blocked, you'll want to cancel into a special that will limit how the opponent moves afterwards, such as Gravity seed or Spike Chaser
  • 5D > 6D > 4D > special move - A blockstring that catches opponents who attempt to jump out of sword pressure after 5D, if they block the 4D cancel into special
  • 6D > 2D > 4D > special move - Blockstring used on midair opponents
  • 2D > 4D > 5D > special move - Alternative blockstring used on aerial opponents, the difference with this one is that 2D is used as a close anti-air, compared to 6D which is used for opponents approaching from far away or at a horizontal angle

These are the basic D blockstrings you can use while pressuring an opponent from afar. As you may have noticed, which D normals you can use to extend pressure are quite interchangeable, and you'll get the hang of where to use them in a blockstring as you learn which D is better suited depending on the opponent's range from you. Now that I've explained more about D blockstrings, I'll stress the intricacies behind "how" you use them.

The blockstrings I listed above do have holes in them, and can be jumped out of or disrespected depending on how far away the opponent is. None of Lambda's D blockstrings are air-tight technically, and you must be aware of what can happen depending on the matchup you're facing. I'll give you a universal example of what can happen: 5D (blocked) > 4D (blocked) > 236D. During 236D, the opponent can instant air dash while you're in the animation of summoning 236D and punish you with an air normal like Ragna's or Jin's j.C. Of course, that's just one example. Here's a list of characters that can interrupt your D blockstrings with a super.

Characters that can interrupt Lambda's D strings with a super:

• Ragna - Carnage Scissors
  • Jin - Touga Hyojin and Yukikaze
  • Celica - Casque Veloute
  • Relius - Vol Tedo
  • Makoto - Big Bang Smash
  • Taokaka - Hexa Edge and I'mma Beat The Crap Outta You
  • Hazama - Eternal Coils of the Dragon Serpent
  • Hakumen - Shippu and Yukikaze
  • Kagura - Supreme Dragon's Inferno
  • Litchi - All Green and All Terminals
  • Terumi - Messenga and Renshouga
  • Izayoi - Justice Phorizer
  • Amane - Rensoukyaku
  • Azrael - Blackhawk Stinger
  • Carl - Arpeggio of Oblivion (OD only)
  • Rachel - Tempest Dahlia
  • Bang - Fatal Eruption Daifunka and Hyper Shadowstep Strike (OD only)
  • Lambda - Calamity Sword (OD only)
  • Nu - Legacy Edge

As you can see, a vast majority of the cast have options to disrespect D strings. What I'm getting to is, it's important to be mindful of this, and to not autopilot your pressure. Watch how your opponents react to one D at a time, and center your blockstrings around how your opponents behaves accordingly.

Punishment Game:

Lambda's punishment game is quite good in terms of damage and options, being able to punish opponents with her half screen D normals, and even a full screen punish by using the OD version of Calamity Sword which tracks the opponent. Although you'll need to judge which normal to punish with; 5C is good for moves like Jin's 623C that has extremely long recovery, but with faster reversals like Litchi's 623D, you'll want something faster like 5B. I'll list a few examples to give you an idea of what you have to work with.

Midscreen Meterless -

5D > 236C > 66 > 6A > 5C > 2D > 5D > JC > j.5D > j.2D > j.214D (2835, +23)
5B > 3C > 214A > 6A > 5C > 6C > 236C > 2D > JC > j.5D > j.6D > JC > j.5D > j.6D > j.214D (4241, +32)
5C > 6B > 5C > 214D > 5B > 6A > 5C > 6C > 236A > 236C > 22D > 2D > JC > j.6D > j.214D (4514, +32)

Corner Meterless -

5B > 3C > 214A > 6A > 5C > 22D > 66 > 6A > 6C > 236C > 22D > 2D > JC > j.6D > j.214D (4580, +33)
5C > 3C > 214A > 6A > 5C > 22D > 66 > 6A > 6C > 236C > 22D > 2D > JC > j.6D > j.214D (4604, +33)

Useful Tools:

• Pokes: 5D, 5A, 2A, 2B
  • Anti-Air: 6A, 2C, 2D, 6D
  • Air-to-Air Pokes: j.B
  • High Attacks: 6B, TK.j.214D, j.B, j.C, j.2C
  • Low Attacks: 2B, 3C, 236B
  • Neutral Tools: 5D, 6D, 2D, 4D, j.6D, 214D, 236D, 214A/B/C, 2B
  • Strong Starters: 5B, 5C

Neutral Game Breakdown

Lambda mostly thrives in the mid to long range sections of the stage, yet some matchups may require Lambda to get in close range of the opponent so that she can maintain a better advantage. (ex. Rachel, Nu etc.)

Close Range:
A lot of times, this is the place you least want to be if you can help it. Your options to pressure the opponent are limited between 2A stagger pressure/TRM setups, 6B and TK j.214D. You can get a decent confirm off of 6B, which can push the opponent and you closer to the corner, or send them back to midscreen leaving you to separate your distance. Additionally, a blockstring like 5B > 5C > 5D > 214A can allow you to slow the enemy down for a bit and use that time to return to neutral. Simple blockstrings like 2B > 5B into an instant air dash backwards followed by j.6D is a good way to keep your opponent on their toes too. Another tactic is j.2C pressure, using j.2C as a pressure tool while baiting anti-air's and DP's can fluster the opponent as seen here. Your main objective here is to try and open them up with the aforementioned methods in order to get them to the corner, there you can establish okizeme to make your pressure a bit stronger. If you can't open them up, return to neutral with the use of a close range gravity well, which can be cancelled into with a C normal. (ex. 5B > 5C > 3C > 214A). Be careful with using close range 5C though, as it can be mashed out of with a DP.

Mid Range:
Spacing is key in mid range, as this is the range where you'll need to stop the opponent from getting in on you if they're that close, or where you'll be air back dashing to get away. 2B is a great normal to use when you need to play the spacing game, as it can poke an incoming enemy from a pretty good distance, and the confirm you'll get off of it can push the opponent away. You shouldn't be using too many D normals here, as it's hard to assess what the opponent will do without enough space for breathing room. 5D will catch any opponents who rush in carelessly, but they could also IAD or simply jump over it at this range. Anti airs to keep in mind would be 2D, as it will catch most aerial attempts to get in like IAD's and Ragna's Belial Edge, and other specials alike. 6A can also be used, but with only head invul, it must be used with great care.

Long Range:
Long range is where Lambda can dominate most of the match from in relative safety, with good reads and reactions. The options at your disposal are plentiful once you get your opponent blocking a D string. Summon a Gravity seed to ensure they'll stay in one spot for a bit longer, then use Sickle Storm to get your chip game started. Sickle Storm is a great way to whittle the opponent down, as it takes away a good portion of the opponents health bar if they're not barrier guarding, and can deteriorate their barrier gauge at a good rate as well. You'll want to make sure your spacing with Sickle is on point though, as it can be punished quite easily if you're not cautious, as I stated above. Spike Chaser is another tool that is great for hindering the opponent's attempt at getting in, as it covers about half of the screen, and once guarded, will force the opponent to take another D string into a special of your choice, preferably Gravity seed. Spike Chaser has a dead zone right in front of Lambda, and also has some start up before it comes out, meaning you'll want to be just as careful using this as you are with Sickle Storm. Your success at this range is determined by what you do after your D strings, and how well you can adapt to the opponent trying to adapt to your zoning style. If you stop their air approaches with 6D very often, you may notice that they'll try and run straight towards you in hopes you'll whiff 6D. You'll encounter minor adaptions like this in your opponents play after a while, and eventually you won't be trying to fight the character, you'll be trying to think a step ahead of your opponent and beat their mindset.

Okizeme vs Damage/Corner Carry

There are certain situations while playing Lambda where you must choose between landing a hard knockdown to go into okizeme, or try and squeeze out a bit more damage by doing a D string combo into j.214D. Below, I'll list the three main routes Lambda uses while comboing and their advantages and disadvantages.

236D okizeme Setup:

The setup; as seen here, not only applies to the corner, but midscreen and everywhere else as well. A common example of 236D oki at use, would be: (midscreen) 4D > 5D > 236B > 236D. 236B is hard knockdown, which would give you enough time to use 236D as an oki tool. While they're blocking 236D, you can choose between going in to pressure them at close range, or setting up a Gravity seed to start your zoning. The disadvantage that this oki carries is that it if you use it immediately after 236B, it can be avoided if the opponent delay techs. You can counter this in turn by delaying your use of 236D, in which case you'll lose the oki opportunity if they tech normally. Additionally, some characters have other means of escaping this setup. Some methods include Hakumen's D counters, Bang's D guardpoints, and Rachel's wind.

j.214D Ender:

A common ender used in every D string combo. In comparison to the 236D oki setup: (midscreen) 4D > 5D > JC > j.6D > j.5D > j.2D > JC > j.2D > j.5D > j.6D > j.214D. There's a decent damage difference between the two, but the only disadvantage is that the opponent will tech shortly after you touch the ground after j.214D, not allowing enough time to set up 236D oki. When choosing between damage or oki, in most cases it's usually best to go with oki. But in Lambda's case, where her oki can be unreliable, sometimes damage is a better option. Ultimately it's up to you to decide which you want to use, depending on the situation and matchup.

2B okizeme:

The safest and arguably strongest of Lambda's okizeme options, 2B oki involves using a meaty 2B to catch an opponent who chooses to not tech during your 236D oki setup, or to catch an opponent who uses delay tech, quick wakeup, or any type of roll after a j.214D knockdown. What makes this okizeme so good is that the opponent has no other option than to neutral tech if they don't want to take damage, provided you have the confirm and know what combo to do after you hit them with 2B. (ex. 2B > 6A > 5C > 6C > 236A > 236C > JC > j.5D > j.6D > j.214D) This setup can also be used in the corner, when a combo is too prorated and you can't followup with 22D after 236C. (ex. 5D > 236B > 2B > 6A > 6C > 236C > 5B > 6A > TK.j.214D).

236A > 236C route:

A route used after 6C in a combo, primary purpose is to carry the opponent away from where you are currently. (ex. back to corner, anti-air 6A > 5C > 6C > 236A 236C > 66 > 2D > JC > j.5D > j.6D > JC > j.5D > j.6D > j.214D) With the following combo, you'd push the opponent from the corner back to midscreen, which is vary advantageous. If you were already midscreen, you can put the opponent in the corner and slightly alter the combo to end with 236D oki. Although when putting the opponent back to midscreen, like with j.214D enders, you won't be able to follow up with oki.

6C > 236D route:

An alternate route used after 6C in a combo, this route nets a bit more damage than the 236A > 236C route, but is a bit more difficult to pull off. (ex. back to corner, anti-air 6A > 5C > 6C > 236D > 66 > 236C > 66 > 2D > 5D > JC > j.5D > j.6D > j.5D > j.6D > j.214D) Either route is fine, just a matter of what you feel more comfortable using.

Bad/Common habits to avoid

236D/214D abuse:

These specials are very good tools to use in neutral, but they do have their weaknesses. 214D has a dead zone right in front of Lambda that can be exploited by the opponent jumping over it while Lambda is still in start up. 236D suffers in the same category, with its start up being quite long, allowing the opponent to get in and punish if it isn't spaced properly. Additionally these moves can also be punished by the means I posted in the "The Basics" section above. I just want to hammer home the importance of not auto piloting your zoning.

Using 22D as a reversal:

22D is one of Lambda's new specials, and it involves a teleport into the air followed by Lambda firing a sword downwards. Despite how it looks, it shouldn't be used during as a reversal or during an opponent's blockstring. It can be option selected and called out in numerous ways, which doesn't make it worth using as a pseudo reversal. Instead, it can be used to bait DP's, mash, and counter assaults to great effect, as you can net pretty good damage off of CH with it.

Closing:

This concludes the guide and everything I feel beginners should know in order to start them off in the right direction. If you still have any questions, feel free to PM me or post here. Thank you for reading.

Sign in to follow this