Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamester

[Other: Wiki] Rachel Wiki discussion (Goal/Purpose & Resources)

Wiki

First of all our wiki can be found here Rachel Alucard Dustloop Wiki

So a point was brought up via Twitter about the Rachel Wiki and what resources would people like to see on it.

The Wiki has been in a bit of a grey area for a while now and we're all thinking of ways it can be improved or built upon. So I've gone and made a thread for this discussion. (Twitter is too cramped)

What does the Wiki have so far:

- Overview on Rachel as a character.
- Drive/OverDrive, Pros and Cons of Rachel in play.
- External References linking to the JP Wiki, BBS, JP ranking info and video thread.
- Move lists from normal to specials (basic frame data)
- Strategy Section (Offence and Defence)
- Neutral and Combos (these sections are empty)

I and possibly others feel the wiki is often overlooked, so we need to think how to make good use of this and how we can make it appeal to new/fresh and current Rachel players alike.

What do you want to see/be on the wiki? Let's get the ball rolling here and have an open discussion about it :)

With CF soon upon us, we'll have to revamp/revise Rachel's Offence and Defence sections when it goes live but hopefully we can create a workable structure/shell.

Honestly only looks like combos and move descriptions need to be filled out. Maybe some gimmicks added? There doesn't seem to be much missing in the strategy section.

I like how you've mentioned gimmicks, Errol was thinking also of specific bits of info here and there being added. Polka thought about having video referencing/recording specific situations, stuff geared towards newer players.

I've had a look around for ideas from other character wikis, I'm still throwing random ideas out here so nothing is solid in my thought process when typing this. I also like the thought of may be having some videos with stuff like j.2C lvl 2 tutorials, how wind can help you move around or get out of certain situations (guess stuff universal to all versions of Rachel as well as specific to the version at the time may be?).

The Rachel gameplay guide will need some revamping next version due to pumpkin causing change lol, so may be we could incorporate an updated one it into CF Rachel Wiki next time?

(One other thing I feel (this is more of a wider thought for all characters), is that there should be a section within the character board linking directly to the Wiki for easier access/connectivity. Get it more known that it exists)

Sorry for the mess of the post here, it's kinda rushed ;_;

I'd love to have a forum post-styled link to the Wiki, but I'm not sure that's possible within my power. The best we could probably do is create a resources link thread and have the wiki linked in there (still better than not having a link!).

Gimmicks are a good idea, as are adding some videos. If possible, I'll probably try to see if I can add video links for combos, though I don't know if I'll do it for this game or the next one, especially seeing as how we haven't filled that section out yet and how I'm personally not up-to-date with combo theory for Rachel.

I'm pretty sad about the gameplay guide finally getting hit with a somewhat big change. I was enjoying its undying status as a great guide, but I suppose at least only one section is going to die. :P

I actually hadn't realized the CPEX wiki pages were so sparse. I'd assumed move descriptions were migrated from previous versions' wiki pages, but it appears not to be the case.

I updated some of the frame data on the wiki with updated info.

Part of it is difficult though, it seems strange to me to partially update data. For example, could update the static difference on 4b to -2, but it makes no sense with the active and recovery frames. The truth is we don't know what the active and recovery frames are, but we could easily figure out the total frames.

So it seems like things like 6A, and 4B, should probably be updated in some way to accurately indicate their total duration, static difference, and startup. Active and recovery frames maybe need to be flagged to indicate they're old, or, just removed.

You can just leave the unknown data values blank, or fill it with - or ? for the time being, and leave a note referring people to older frame data pages as reference.

It's not uncommon for new games to have partially filled data, to be quite honest. It's just a little off-putting in this case because we filled the tables with dummy data and because the game has technically been out for a while.