mAc Chaos

"Understand the Past, Gain the Future": Dustloop Revamp General

That's getting ahead of ourselves, imo. We need users actually contributing things on the forum before we can worry about sorting all of it.

The front page is kind of like that though.

For people concerned about the wiki, it has been mostly ported to a new format that will make finding and collecting information easier.

Also a vast majority of the work is done by moderators anyway and the pages are checked often. Anon editing isn't an issue since the trade off is there's less of a point of failure for the pages getting updated. If someone has a lot of good info there's no reason why they should have to go through a gatekeeper to get it hosted.

Since someone else brought it up, it is possible for tutorials to also go into the wiki. Some character pages already have CMV sections and I intended to make that a standard. I'll see what I can do about it tonight.

But FYI even if mods fill in information or update the format, it's still up to the character community to provide resources. If you think your character's resources are lacking, doing your own footwork isn't a bad idea. If you need help putting it in, you can also ask.

A lot of problems boil down to lack of resources/man power so it ends up being a handful of people who manage everything.

Things disappear from the main page over time though since it's a feed format.  Not ideal.  Can we at least implement a system where Dustloop collect and save useful content?  For example, old videos often disappear and youtube accounts close, resulting in dead links and lost lives.  Can we somehow (With permission) copy files/text and save it somewhere to fight this?

(One of the greatest strengths that dustloop could take on, I believe, is link-independence, so that if another site closes, changes it's URLs, etc, we can keep the quality of content up on dustloop.)

Manpower is an issue though, isn't it?  I wonder if we can reward users for helping out with specific tasks?  Like, mods can post bounties or give assignments to users who are then somehow rewarded on Dustloop (avatars, badges, status, or something like that?)  Could get grunt work done that way, but that would be quite the project to set up though.

Some of this stuff has been around for awhile. We prevent information from getting lost in the shuffle by keeping the OP of a thread updated, and we (used) to reward users who helped out by giving them DL award badges.

Dead links will always be a problem as long as we're using external sites as hosts, the only way that can really be solved is having our own tube and hosting videos ourselves on dustloop. The problems with that are probably pretty obvious though.

Some of this stuff has been around for awhile. We prevent information from getting lost in the shuffle by keeping the OP of a thread updated, and we (used) to reward users who helped out by giving them DL award badges.

Dead links will always be a problem as long as we're using external sites as hosts, the only way that can really be solved is having our own tube and hosting videos ourselves on dustloop. The problems with that are probably pretty obvious though.

The badges were neat, but didn't really go far enough (and weren't that interesting.) Things like flairs would be cool.

Hopefully the problems of using a stickied thread for information collection is a bit obvious.  I understand that hosting videos would be too much of a strain/cost on such a small website, but I wonder if it would be feasible for dustloop to archive/preserve certain videos or other content so that it can be restored if needed in the future.

What do you mean by "flairs"? I'm only aware of the term from Office Space haha

Edited by shtkn

What do you mean by "flairs"? I'm only aware of the term from Office Space haha

Sorry; Reddit term I guess.  Avatars and other "flair" pretty things to put on your profile/posts.