Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bells

Help with I-No trial 4

Hi there!

So, i recently took a bigger dip into Fighting games, less of just watching and more of trying to learn it and get into it. I've been playing ( ...mashing ) on Xrd for quite sometime, but now i decided to actually sit down and learn it properly. Got myself a stick (always liked sticks, but never had the cash to pick up one... it's a Hori RAP V ) and i started to do I-No challenges. I know it's not a begginer's character, but it's a character i like... so i tried to learn it.

Thing is... i just went head first into her Trial 4 and can't seem to pass it. I understand what i have to do... and i can do both moves consistently, but when it comes to follow up one with the other, it just does not connect. The ''feel'' is that i'm half a second too late to it every time. Even worst, i actually thought my stick had input lag... if i try to rush the input, it comes out messy or not at all but no matter how i try to hit the second move while the target is still on the air, i just can't seem to get it right.

I believe that if i learn how to do this, it will help me to solve similar issues in the future, so i'm reaching out for some help here... anybody can lend a hand? 

but no matter how i try to hit the second move while the target is still on the air, i just can't seem to get it right.

OK so it sounds like you understand that you're supposed to cancel horizontal Chemical Love ("HCL", 214K) into its follow-up. So the problem lies solely in your execution. Some general tips:

1) First of all, it's completely normal to be unable to do even the simplest things when you first start playing on stick. Don't worry about it, it's a phase that everybody goes through. Don't get frustrated, stay motivated and keep trying.

2) There are many different ways to hold the stick. One of the most popular grips involves resting the knife edge of your hand on the panel and putting the shaft of the stick either between your middle and ring fingers or between your ring finger and pinky. But there are also many players who don't like having the shaft between their fingers. Experiment and see which grip feels most comfortable for you. Here are some examples:

Daigo's hands - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NvS4bwocJk

Tokido's hands - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7JJKMlOcs

3) The window to do HCL~D is quite large. You don't have to rush it. Start slowly and gradually increase the speed. You said you can do HCL by itself but not the follow-up, so make sure that after the first 214K you are moving the stick all the way to 2 and cleanly hitting the rest of the 214S. Check the input display to see if you're missing any directions. If you are missing directions, you have to deliberately adjust the movement of your hand/fingers to try and hit those directions.

4) When you successfully land the combo, make a mental note of how you physically manipulated the stick and try to recreate that feeling. Think of the timing, the position of your hand and fingers, the way you moved the stick, and so on.

5) Don't stop practicing until you can do it 100% of the time on both player 1 and player 2 sides. It's kind of annoying to practice basic things like this in Challenge mode so it might be better to switch over to Training mode instead. Remember to set Display Information to either "Input History" or "Both" so you can see your inputs.

hey y'know what? thank you. this actually helps a lot.

trying to come from ''i like fighting games'' into ''i PLAY fighting games'' is a bit hard since there isn't a ton of well composed beginner info out there. So this helps a ton. thank you!

I was holding the stick from underneath with the tip of my fingers ( thumb, index, middle) but when i changed to a ''glass of wine'' hold i was able to get the move in and cleared the challenge! I still cannot replicate it ''at will'' but practice makes perfect.... 

hey y'know what? thank you. this actually helps a lot.

trying to come from ''i like fighting games'' into ''i PLAY fighting games'' is a bit hard since there isn't a ton of well composed beginner info out there. So this helps a ton. thank you!

I was holding the stick from underneath with the tip of my fingers ( thumb, index, middle) but when i changed to a ''glass of wine'' hold i was able to get the move in and cleared the challenge! I still cannot replicate it ''at will'' but practice makes perfect.... 

Nice, I'm happy to hear that you're having some success. If you have any more questions it might be better to use this thread instead: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/10016-xrd-i-no-qafaq101-thread/. It basically functions as a "ask a question, get an answer" thread so feel free to ask anything you like in there.

One last thing. It seems you already know at least a little bit of notation but here's a link to the notation guide on the wiki just in case you need it: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Notation. New players not understanding notation is a pretty common thing I've seen on other sites.