Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psycho

Weekly Match Analysis #1

I want to try something new with the Ky boards so hear me out a bit. We're always watching these videos and sort of discussing it with 1 or 2 other Ky mains. I want to start a weekly thread to analyze these videos together and see what the Ky player did. I want to bring to light techniques that they used that are beneficial to all Kys as well as some things that didn't help them at all.

This first week I want to bring attention to matches between Ain and Hase (Slayer) and Ain and Mugen (Sol)

I think group analyzing is a good way for all of us to level up together and start discussions and hopefully you guys step up! :]

Ill start this off. I noticed against hase especially he did a lot of backdashes. I spoke with other Kys about it and they attributed this to being a style that older Ky players use. Im curious if this is actually working in his favor or if hes needlessly back dashing. 

I feel like it was trying to avoid Mappa punch and some of Slayer's longer pokes using his backdash invincibility and also to keep his spacing against Hase. I notice Ain does that against certain moves like Sol's 2D. It can be a viable tactic, but he might have done it a bit too much.

Think his backdashes are not quite random. Generally his playstyle looks very calculated, especially evident by his careful counterpoking at the start of the third round against sol. We can see him backdashing in neutral as a way to control space/the footsies game. For example at 1:09:15 he lays a j.d and waits (behind the cross' active frames) for sol to make his move. He briefly runs forward trying to bait a big move from sol (like grand viper) only to dash backwards so that he can gain enough space/time from the inv to punish him. Also, dashing back and forth is a good way to establish the pace your way and make the opponent fall for it when you break that pace. In this fashion, right after the second backdash, Sol was expecting him to move forward again while doing nothing an attempted a jump in. In responce, ky broke his pace and punished him with a tk projectile. 

Ah thats a similar idea to something melee players do called dash dancing. I didnt think that would be applicable here. 

I took a closer look and it seems like he backdashes every time they try to jump in. Id imagine the invul time from the backdash gives you time to think a bit and maybe stick out a 6a. You can see Hase read them though and caught him. 

Also shoutouts to that cute escape from pressure at 17:07. Thst was fast

Apparently I write a lot.  Obligatory tl;dr warning. 

Ain vs. Hase (SL) @ 16:38: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8Ylj_Cyr4&feature=youtu.be&t=998

General idea: Space, space, space.  Keeping Slayer at f.S range makes it much easier to manage.  With f.S being great at dealing with most of Slayer’s movement shenanigans, as well as 2D being super duper active and killing dash movements and Stun Edges making him think twice about his movement, and Stun Dipper being good at catching CHes and bad movement, it’s a decently manageable matchup, with the caveat that you only get to make two mistakes, because each time you do, Slayer takes half your health.  Watch Ain do everything at pretty much max range.

The goal in all of this is to avoid having to deal with silly left-right mixup.  Remember: Slayer was Leo before Leo was Leo.  

Slayer 6P is really good at stuffing f.S and leading to good damage (17:38).

Ain’s backdashes serve two purposes: to deal with Slayer’s dash range putting Slayer in left-right mixup territory, and to properly space 2D to fish for knockdowns.

There’s two ways other than blocking to deal with Slayer 2D (big bat wing stomp): Take it and tech back > IAD j.S or tech forward j.S like Ain does, or yolo Greed Sever and enjoy your CH and momentum.  

Notice how cleanly Ain plays these rounds.  But Hase, capitalizing on a couple of mistakes (and a cheeky YRC at the end of round 2) is able to consistently catch up and close it out.  

Round 3, Ain gets IAD j.S j.H after setting up CSE grinder oki.  This is a very common burst point because it leads to big damage.  I personally bait here more often than not.

Round 4, around the 20 minute mark, Ain hits a dash VT combo to push Slayer to the corner.  He gets paid for it by another quick combo into super to close out the round.

Round 5, notice at the end where Ain goes for babby combos with lots of punches in here to burst bait.  Notice he doesn’t get the bait on either of those combos and eventually pays for it with his life.  Sometimes it’s not worth giving up the damage if you have the inkling that your opponent has decided to seal their burst for this exact purpose.

Ain vs. Mugen (SO) @ 1:06:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8Ylj_Cyr4&feature=youtu.be&t=3986

General idea: Play chess, except any “pawn” strike from Sol can instantly be promoted to Queen status.  Our job is to shut down Sol’s options against us in each situation that presents itself.  

First things first: We can’t do anything about round start f.S from Sol.  Just jump away or IB it.  From here, note Ain’s patience and willingness to block.  If it becomes a battle of recklessness from both players, Sol benefits greatly.  Ain chooses to FD most of Sol’s strings to create space and prevent RISC gauge jacking (because if he hits you with a jacked bar...lol).

1:06:45ish: Bursting during Sol’s BnB air combo is a really bad idea.  It’s a free burst bait if they read it and you’re put in ANOTHER terrible position upon landing AND you’re likeley screwed for the next round too.

1:07:20 Ky tries to poke out of the corner with sweeps.  Ain gets Mugen to block j.SPS which can be continued to the ground to ensure a safe landing, BUT Mugen IBs all three hits so Ain backs off of the combo.  Why?  See Sol’s j.HS come out?  That’s an air throw, actually.  IB+Air Throw is a common and effective counter to those kinds of strings (Sol j.PPPPP is another one that you can do it to).

1:07:32 Ain gets maaaaaaaaaaax damage off of 6HS, though I don’t recommend the RTL extension for three reasons: 1) it does booty damage at the end of such a long string, not to mention Hellfire, 2) it doesn’t give a knockdown anyway (ohai Sin), and 3) you’re missing an extra 50 meter to do mixups and YRCs with after Sol decides he’s not going to die.

Start of round 3, Ain gets Mugen to fall onto a j.D, but he notices it’s not a CH and backs off (very smart).  Soon after that, Sol gets his second reversal blitz on Ky 6H, which we should all be aware of being an easy and viable (and irritating of course) tactic.  And right after that, we get an infinitely long demonstration as to why you never want to be in the corner against Sol.  

Ain then gets a Greed Sever CH into dash VT combo but misses the Ciel ender.  So instead of being at a massive advantage, we’re back to neutral.

1:08:55: Remember when I said bursting was a bad idea against Sol’s BnB?  Mugen baits it again, but Ain doesn’t bite this time.  So instead of just closing the round, we’re back to neutral again, and Ky still gets to hold on to his burst.  And Ky eventually takes the round off of the scramble.  Lesson: burst baits can make you look like a genius or backfire horribly.

1:09:23: Ky enters Katame mode, aka fishing for 2HS to catch mistimed jumpouts from the corner.

1:09:32: another air IB string sequence where Ain again notices and backs off before getting air thrown.

1:09:35: Ain does Ain stuff.  Converts a very random air CH 6HS on Sol’s divekick, converts into a dash VT, and goes for the air conversion ender for damage.  Man, he’s good.

1:09:49: don’t get hit by CH Gunflame.  Please.  Just...don’t.  

The long drawn out neutral dance sequence at the end of round 4 is the essence of Ky/Sol, to be quite honest.  It gets kicked into overdrive when Mugen senses Ain tighten up and gets a Wild Throw out of it.  This is very common and something you need to be aware of when you’re in a tight situation or on defense.  Also lmao at the buzzer beater f.S to catch Ain running away with Stun Dipper.

Start of round 5: one Grand Viper will put you into the corner.  Ain does well to immediately escape the situation, because it can go from 100-0 real quick for Ky.  

1:11:25: max damage punish (plus Ciel KD ender!) on a whiffed VV.  We’d do well to learn this.  From here, Ain exerts more excellent pressure and converts more damage.  Note how Sol having a burst here doesn’t really matter.  To end it, Ain plays patiently, hits max distance 2S, max range 2K>2S which makes burst whiff, and f.S to close it out.  No combos, no walking forward, just patience and letting Sol hang himself because of Ky’s life lead.

Agreed! Id add more to the sol discussion but I havent gotten to watch it completely. I did like how you said he let Mugen hang himself. I feel like its something not many newer kys (myself included) do. Its what leads to us folding.

Without having read anything yet, this is my own match analysis as done in ehuang-sama's "post mortem" style:

**Ain vs Hase**

(16:52-16:55)
Ain: Opens the match with Stun Edge.  This is a complete hard read and most likely mixed in with player familiarity because SE at this spot is USUALLY a bad idea in a lot of situations.  Reason being: some Slayers like to open a match with 6P (which goes completely through a SE).  The read gives Ain a minor payoff and tags Hase opening with a Dandy Step.
Hase: Gets hit with the Stun Edge, and then curiously does 6P afterwards, perhaps thinking Ain would throw another SE.  This backfires because Ain does max range 2K into 5S xx Stun Dipper for a knockdown.

(16:56) 
Ain: Rushes in after a Stun Dipper knockdown with 2P, 2P, 5S.  2P mash is a standard burst/DAA bait that MOST Ky players SHOULD know and SHOULD utilize.  Ain baits Hase's burst but Hase doesn't bite.
Hase: Opts to not burst - unusual as I notice a good amount of Japanese players burst early to stop momentum.

(17:08)
Hase: (!) Gets reverse-thrown by Ain back into the corner, and Ain gets to initiate his katame all over again.  Hase manages to IB most of Ain's pressure and does backdash into FD jump -> Footloose.  VERY good escape and all Slayers should have this option to escape most pressure situations.

(17:15)
Ain: Ain does YRC (nothing) in neutral during Hase's Dandy Step.  YRCing in neutral is a very underrated tactic - keep in mind that by doing so, you are slowing down time for a good 6 frames or so.  This gives Ain a bit more leeway to advance forward without having to quickly react to a sudden Pile Bunker.

(17:19)
Ain: Gets hit by a Pilebunker combo, then bursts.  Pretty good presence of mind here - because if he had bursted and Slayer had meter, that would be DANGEROUS for Ain to burst at this spot.

(17:24)
Hase: (!) Gets hit by Ain's knockdown into Split Seal -> DC CSE.  He actually MANAGES to backdash out of this one but a bit late as he had to FD the final hits of DC CSE.  Note to all Ky players: ANYONE can reversal backdash midscreen DC CSE - NOT JUST SLAYER.  So be VERY wary of using DC CSE midscreen without meter to YRC!

(17:29-17:31)
Ain: Does standard pressure into SE that gets blocked.  Afterwards, he does backdash->2D (which is USUALLY a good and standard response in the Slayer matchup.  2D is active for a long time and if done max range, it can hit most dandysteppers).
Hase: (!): Notices Ain's (wrong) spacing completely, right after Ain backdashed.  Ain was TOO close - this enabled Hase to reaction IAD D xx Footloose over Ky's extended 2D.

(18:22-18:24)
Ain: Techs out of Hase's air combo, then YRC (nothing) -> air dash out.  Another underrated tactic.  If you're the type of player who thinks they need "work" with their air techs, this is a good option.  Slows down time for a good 6 frames or so without the immediate fear of getting air-to-aired or air thrown.
Hase: Hase gets the same idea because as soon as Ain lands, he does YRC (nothing) into two forward dashes->throw.  Ain was about to do another backdash into 2D (perhaps), but because of the time freeze, Hase manages to advance forward and throw Ain for free.

(18:38-18:50)
Ain: (?) Does YRC nothing (probably execution error, this "feels" like YRC SE but he might've done it too early) into j.K, j.S, j.P, JC j.P, j.S, j.HS.  This feels like a burst-bait air combo with the P's thrown in, and Ain chooses NOT to HSVT at the end.  Makes me wonder why - Hase had NO BURST and HSVT might've been good enough to kill. Very puzzling decision for Ain (probably just a brainfart) and this blunder enables Hase to snatch a victory away.

(18:55)
Ain: Opens round 3 by dashing forward, just like he did in the beginning of round 2.  Another hard read perhaps (player familiarity-based) because this seems very risky to do.  And sure enough, Ain runs into Hase's 2HS.

(19:56-19:58)
Ain: (!) Ain finally gets some momentum going.  Lands a string->Stun Dipper combo that corner carries, does microdash CSE, then runs in and does 6HS.  Ain hesitates in a very SUBTLE and MINUTE manner (1-2 frames?) while FDing, and this completely sells Hase into air dashing out of the corner.  This backfires for Hase as Ain was ready for him with 2HS xx HSVT.  Bad thing is it somehow pushed Hase the other direction.  Regardless, this is a very good hard read for Ain that didn't net him the result he wanted, but he was still at the advantage.

(20:01-20:14)
Ain: (!?) Does 6HS into 2P, 2P xx Greed Sever.  Perfectly acceptable "random" abare sequence here, as Ain had 50% meter to cover himself to safety IF Greed Sever is blocked.  Ain most likely noticed Hase IBing during this situation also - and Greed Sever would also most likely clip any backdash attempt from Hase.  The abare sequence worked to perfection - Ain's Greed Sever led to a midscreen VT loop with a Split Seal ender.  For anyone who doesn't know, this is a very hard combo but since Ain was able to pull it off, he scored a corner carry with a STRONG oki possibility (since he ended the combo with Split Seal).  The DC CSE oki then lands Ain a hit for a kill combo.

(20:22-20:27)
Hase: Opens round 5 with a (BDC?) Mappa.  Doesn't work out well as Ain starts off the round with 5HS stagger into 2D xx Stun Dipper confirm. 
Ain: Decides to open with 5HS - not a typical round starter on Slayer matchups but once again there might be a hard read going on here due to Hase's player tendencies.  Perhaps he KNOWS 5HS beats mappa round starters.  After he scores the knockdown, Ain goes for 6HS, 2P, 5K, (SLIGHT DELAY) Split Seal.  THIS is a frame trap - an option that us Ky players needs to explore.  This should blow up most 2P mashes and some lows.

(20:38-20:47)
Hase: (!?) Lands a combo that corner carries into a knockdown.  Hase then does 6P as oki.  NOTE: Slayer 6P in the corner BEATS many options that Ky has, which includes: Both VT versions, and backdash.  No need for Hase to really "guess" here and because of this, he tags Ain's backdash attempt.  One thing that can beat Slayer 6P oki is a Blitzshield (which Ain had meter to spare).  Ride The Lighting COULD work here but it's risky and could possibly clash with Slayer 6P.  From 6P, Hase does a launch combo with 3 Dusts that NEARLY kills Ain.
Ain (?!): Gets put into the corner, then decides to backdash on wakeup.  VERY BAD decision by Ain here, as he gets 6Ped into an air combo that almost kills him.  Hase gets to do another oki opportunity and THAT almost kills Ain as well, but lucky for Ain, he had a burst!  Ain gets one more chance to close out this match.

(20:48-21:22)
Ain: (!?) Ain nearly comes back for a victory.  Does YRC CSE from near max range into microdash Split Seal, CSE goes through it and activates DC CSE.  Hase instinctively jumps but Ain was ready, and air throws him into the corner.  The knockdown doesn't lead to anything as both players return back to neutral at midscreen, but Ain manages to score an anti-air 6P into 2HS xx Greed Sever, microdash HSVT, 2HS xx HSVT.  Once again, this is the midscreen VT loop that Ain is famous for and is DIFFICULT to do (and most Ky players aspire to execute).  Ain MANAGES to execute flawlessly in a pressure filled situation - where he needs it the most.  The combo of course leads back into the corner and lets Ky do his CSE mixups one last time.   
Hase (!?): Nothing that Hase can do here but he DOES have a burst for one final escape.  Ain baits him hard during his CSE mixups once again with 2Ps - in TWO separate occasions - but Hase has the DISCIPLINE to NOT burst here even with a very small life lead.  Ain lands a hit on his third mixup and Hase FINALLY bursts, and the situation resets back to neutral with both players' health bars extremely low.  Hase then decides to take it to the air, does YRC (nothing) air dash HS to finally secure the victory.  Ain can't do much here.  The time freeze from the YRC makes the air dash trajectory seem "faster" and "sudden".  And combine that with 6-7 frames of time slowdown and it's hard for Ain to anti-air with anything.  The only thing that Ain can do here is perhaps a YRC of his own - but Hase is pretty much committed to his airdash HS, and it would've REQUIRED Ain to IMMEDIATELY anti-air after his counter-YRC attempt.

Very close match and well played on both ends (with a few debatable reads),and CRUCIAL decision making at the end to really make things interesting.

Will do a postmortem on the Ain vs. Mugen match later!

Took note of that empty YRC after air tech. Definitely could help in certain matchups. 

6HS, 2P, 2K, (SLIGHT DELAY) Split Seal. <--thats pretty interesting

I wonder if you get the same affect from 6k-delay-split ciel. Could definitely open up people trying to mash/jump out. 

I wonder if you get the same affect from 6k-delay-split ciel. Could definitely open up people trying to mash/jump out. 

First inclination is that 6K > delay Ciel definitely will not work if 6K gets IBed, which I -think- is even on block.  That would enable at least an FD jump out.

First inclination is that 6K > delay Ciel definitely will not work if 6K gets IBed, which I -think- is even on block.  That would enable at least an FD jump out.

The reason why 2P, 5K (delay) Split Seal can be effective is that you can use this as a tick throw setup as well.  But instead of your conventional 5S to frame trap, Split Seal works the same way and you do get a few frames of advantage, to continue pressure.

Hello Ky players. Hope you don't mind a Slayer player giving another point of view.

Hase loves to spend meter on getting in or finding knockdowns, low risk low reward in terms of damage but effective against Ky's high recovery moveset. His style is very cutthroat, often forcing opponents to constantly spend meter or fish for reversals. Very few Slayers actually play at his pace so hopefully you won't have to guess as hard as Ain needs to.

General idea: Space, space, space.  Keeping Slayer at f.S range makes it much easier to manage.  With f.S being great at dealing with most of Slayer’s movement shenanigans, as well as 2D being super duper active and killing dash movements and Stun Edges making him think twice about his movement, and Stun Dipper being good at catching CHes and bad movement, it’s a decently manageable matchup, with the caveat that you only get to make two mistakes, because each time you do, Slayer takes half your health.  Watch Ain do everything at pretty much max range.

This is a really good idea for several reasons. Ky's f.S outranges Slayer's 5K, his best poke, so Slayer has to commit to riskier options: 6H, 2H, Dandy Step, or jump in. At Ky's f.S range, 6H has poor meterless reward unless it's a CH and 2H has no meterless followup even on CH. In addition to the above, this range makes using Greed Sever and j.D relatively safe against Slayer and gives time to react to Mappa Hunch with 6P or Stun Dipper. As for f.S itself, there are 6 active frames, enough to cover all of BDC invulnerability, so its biggest counters are P Dandy Step Pilebunker (avoids the tip of f.S, pushes you to corner) or Dead on Time (7F super, pushes you to corner).

(16:52-16:55)
Ain: Opens the match with Stun Edge.  This is a complete hard read and most likely mixed in with player familiarity because SE at this spot is USUALLY a bad idea in a lot of situations.  Reason being: some Slayers like to open a match with 6P (which goes completely through a SE).  The read gives Ain a minor payoff and tags Hase opening with a Dandy Step.
Hase: Gets hit with the Stun Edge, and then curiously does 6P afterwards, perhaps thinking Ain would throw another SE.  This backfires because Ain does max range 2K into 5S xx Stun Dipper for a knockdown.

Hase opened with delayed P Dandy Step, which beats f.S, 5H, and Greed Sever. You can see him crouching before Dandy, which makes me think he was looking for 2D starter from Ain. I agree that the SE opener is player familiarity because Slayer 5K or 2H will counterhit and Hase almost never starts 5K. Note that Hase attempts 2H starter afterwards.

Spaced 2K is great against Slayer because it stops 6H and recovers fast enough to followup with 6P/2H or 2D if he tries IAD or Dandy Step. It loses to preemptive 2H, which is very risky at this range, so Slayer has to stick with 5K, which only gives knockdown on a confirmed CH at this range. You will see that Ain does a lot of whiff 2K, using FD brake and backdashes to space them.

(16:56) 
Ain: Rushes in after a Stun Dipper knockdown with 2P, 2P, 5S.  2P mash is a standard burst/DAA bait that MOST Ky players SHOULD know and SHOULD utilize.  Ain baits Hase's burst but Hase doesn't bite.
Hase: Opts to not burst - unusual as I notice a good amount of Japanese players burst early to stop momentum.

Hase used FD against 2P 2P but not cS. My guess is he wanted to push Ain out of 6K range to escape corner with BDC. Note that Hase gets hit by f.S afterwards; the signature "Slayer tried to BDC but didn't backdash."

(17:08)
Hase: (!) Gets reverse-thrown by Ain back into the corner, and Ain gets to initiate his katame all over again.  Hase manages to IB most of Ain's pressure and does backdash into FD jump -> Footloose.  VERY good escape and all Slayers should have this option to escape most pressure situations.

Before this, Hase got a far CH 5K into 2D. He delays Dandy Step to account for the spaced 2D hit but delays it too much. Ain reads that the oki is late and throws Dandy S during recovery, which is safe. I'll note that Ain constantly uses 6S+H throw OS, which is effective against Slayer's mixup. Even if Hase went for the throw invulnerable Dandy S followup, Ain would have counterhit with c.S, but only because of the oki was late.

Hase gets the IB on the 2nd hit of 6H and Ain attempted to dash in 2K. I think Ain made a safe choice, just executed too late. If Slayer goes for the backdash, he probably isn't blocking low and 2K has a ~6F window to hit here (+11, 5F startup). You can see that Ain automatically went into Split Ciel after 2K whiffs so he probably expected to catch Hase.

(17:15)
Ain: Ain does YRC (nothing) in neutral during Hase's Dandy Step.  YRCing in neutral is a very underrated tactic - keep in mind that by doing so, you are slowing down time for a good 6 frames or so.  This gives Ain a bit more leeway to advance forward without having to quickly react to a sudden Pile Bunker.

(17:19)
Ain: Gets hit by a Pilebunker combo, then bursts.  Pretty good presence of mind here - because if he had bursted and Slayer had meter, that would be DANGEROUS for Ain to burst at this spot.

IMO, Ain did YRC in response to Hase entering dash animation. Hase let his backdash complete then did K Dandy Step, which would be incredibly unsafe had Ain did anything but f.S. On the other hand, Hase did have meter for Dandy Step YRC, which would have let him CH 6P if Ain did f.S. Ain's dash up 2K is a safe option, knowing that Hase loves to YRC.

Ain does backdash 2K but stands up and gets hit by j.D. My guess is he missed the IB since he does not get counterhit or knocked down, which would happen if he attempted air throw. Slayer's j.D has no safe followup on block so it's easy to throw afterward if you IB everything. Note that Hase had to RRC to do this Pilebunker combo. Since Hase rarely has full meter, Ain probably knew he could burst without looking at Hase's meter.

(17:24)
Hase: (!) Gets hit by Ain's knockdown into Split Seal -> DC CSE.  He actually MANAGES to backdash out of this one but a bit late as he had to FD the final hits of DC CSE.  Note to all Ky players: ANYONE can reversal backdash midscreen DC CSE - NOT JUST SLAYER.  So be VERY wary of using DC CSE midscreen without meter to YRC!

(17:29-17:31)
Ain: Does standard pressure into SE that gets blocked.  Afterwards, he does backdash->2D (which is USUALLY a good and standard response in the Slayer matchup.  2D is active for a long time and if done max range, it can hit most dandysteppers).
Hase: (!): Notices Ain's (wrong) spacing completely, right after Ain backdashed.  Ain was TOO close - this enabled Hase to reaction IAD D xx Footloose over Ky's extended 2D.

Hase tried to BDC jump the DC CSE but does it too late. I think it's barely possible for Slayer to jump out but the only good forward option I can think of is IAD Footloose to get over the DC CSE. Not sure why he didn't just backdash. Note that Ain once again follows up with spaced dash 2K.

Hase gets IB on Stun Edge and does BDC IAD j.D. I think Hase knew Ain would backdash after the close Stun Edge and automatically went for IAD. I think Ain saw the dash animation during his backdash and went for 2D to catch a forward dash (Hase likes to long dash YRC then Throw). Note that Hase uses j.D; this is Slayer's only IAD air normal that can both challenge Ky's 6P and 2H consistently and also hit 2D. On the other hand, it can be unsafe on block as explained above.

(18:38-18:50)
Ain: (?) Does YRC nothing (probably execution error, this "feels" like YRC SE but he might've done it too early) into j.K, j.S, j.P, JC j.P, j.S, j.HS.  This feels like a burst-bait air combo with the P's thrown in, and Ain chooses NOT to HSVT at the end.  Makes me wonder why - Hase had NO BURST and HSVT might've been good enough to kill. Very puzzling decision for Ain (probably just a brainfart) and this blunder enables Hase to snatch a victory away.

Hase did not want to combo into knockdown and guess on oki, so he staggers f.S and 5K. Ain was mashing at the end there, but he basically had no other option than VT, which Slayer can easily bait after f.S. Note that Hase first did 5K then 2H, which does not combo. My guess is Ain went for 2K first then mashed 2D. You never want to be in the corner at that range against Slayer, especially in a scramble.

(18:55)
Ain: Opens round 3 by dashing forward, just like he did in the beginning of round 2.  Another hard read perhaps (player familiarity-based) because this seems very risky to do.  And sure enough, Ain runs into Hase's 2HS.

Dash 6P can catch BDC, Dandy Step, sometimes 5K. Slayer can't combo after 2H starter and I think Ky is too heavy for a CH followup. 5K starter would catch dash forward but doesn't lead to knockdown and Hase doesn't use it. Like Kizzercrate pointed out, Ain got to forward tech j.S and setup DC CSE; Slayer can only beat that with 6P, which can't reach at round start.

(19:56-19:58)
Ain: (!) Ain finally gets some momentum going.  Lands a string->Stun Dipper combo that corner carries, does microdash CSE, then runs in and does 6HS.  Ain hesitates in a very SUBTLE and MINUTE manner (1-2 frames?) while FDing, and this completely sells Hase into air dashing out of the corner.  This backfires for Hase as Ain was ready for him with 2HS xx HSVT.  Bad thing is it somehow pushed Hase the other direction.  Regardless, this is a very good hard read for Ain that didn't net him the result he wanted, but he was still at the advantage.

Note that Ain does not do whiff 2K here. Ain was pretty far after the 6H so I think he intentionally does empty dash. If Hase wanted to escape, he would have done super jump IAD Footloose; I'd say Hase was going for IAD crossup j.K/D to put Ain in the corner.

(20:22-20:27)
Hase: Opens round 5 with a (BDC?) Mappa.  Doesn't work out well as Ain starts off the round with 5HS stagger into 2D xx Stun Dipper confirm. 
Ain: Decides to open with 5HS - not a typical round starter on Slayer matchups but once again there might be a hard read going on here due to Hase's player tendencies.  Perhaps he KNOWS 5HS beats mappa round starters.  After he scores the knockdown, Ain goes for 6HS, 2P, 5K, (SLIGHT DELAY) Split Seal.  THIS is a frame trap - an option that us Ky players needs to explore.  This should blow up most 2P mashes and some lows.

That's regular K Mappa, which is a really bad starter (even BDC) that only catches Greed Sever and backdash. Hase may have been thinking of the last 2 rounds where he landed 2H. Ain might have opened 4H to read a forward dash or 2H.

(20:38-20:47)
Hase: (!?) Lands a combo that corner carries into a knockdown.  Hase then does 6P as oki.  NOTE: Slayer 6P in the corner BEATS many options that Ky has, which includes: Both VT versions, and backdash.  No need for Hase to really "guess" here and because of this, he tags Ain's backdash attempt.  One thing that can beat Slayer 6P oki is a Blitzshield (which Ain had meter to spare).  Ride The Lighting COULD work here but it's risky and could possibly clash with Slayer 6P.  From 6P, Hase does a launch combo with 3 Dusts that NEARLY kills Ain.
Ain (?!): Gets put into the corner, then decides to backdash on wakeup.  VERY BAD decision by Ain here, as he gets 6Ped into an air combo that almost kills him.  Hase gets to do another oki opportunity and THAT almost kills Ain as well, but lucky for Ain, he had a burst!  Ain gets one more chance to close out this match.

Ain actually tried to jump, not backdash. Hase does a late oki Dandy S but it's been spaced out of throw range and possibly c.S range as well. It's tempting to throw Slayer into the corner but 6P would definitely beat Ky's 5H there and Throw OS may not have worked. Very unusual decision from Ain, given that Hase is the type of player to YRC airthrow jumpers. Dead Angle was an option but Hase did have meter for YRC.

(20:48-21:22)
Ain: (!?) Ain nearly comes back for a victory.  Does YRC CSE from near max range into microdash Split Seal, CSE goes through it and activates DC CSE.  Hase instinctively jumps but Ain was ready, and air throws him into the corner.  The knockdown doesn't lead to anything as both players return back to neutral at midscreen, but Ain manages to score an anti-air 6P into 2HS xx Greed Sever, microdash HSVT, 2HS xx HSVT.  Once again, this is the midscreen VT loop that Ain is famous for and is DIFFICULT to do (and most Ky players aspire to execute).  Ain MANAGES to execute flawlessly in a pressure filled situation - where he needs it the most.  The combo of course leads back into the corner and lets Ky do his CSE mixups one last time.   
Hase (!?): Nothing that Hase can do here but he DOES have a burst for one final escape.  Ain baits him hard during his CSE mixups once again with 2Ps - in TWO separate occasions - but Hase has the DISCIPLINE to NOT burst here even with a very small life lead.  Ain lands a hit on his third mixup and Hase FINALLY bursts, and the situation resets back to neutral with both players' health bars extremely low.  Hase then decides to take it to the air, does YRC (nothing) air dash HS to finally secure the victory.  Ain can't do much here.  The time freeze from the YRC makes the air dash trajectory seem "faster" and "sudden".  And combine that with 6-7 frames of time slowdown and it's hard for Ain to anti-air with anything.  The only thing that Ain can do here is perhaps a YRC of his own - but Hase is pretty much committed to his airdash HS, and it would've REQUIRED Ain to IMMEDIATELY anti-air after his counter-YRC attempt.

At the end, Ain probably expected a j.D and decided to backdash. Hase knew this and went for the slower j.H, without fear of an antiair, to catch the backdash.

Well, I feel like I've learned a lot about Ky from this. Also, YRC has 18F slowdown lol

I think what happened at the end of the Ain-Hase match was Ain had already input backdash before the YRC freeze, so he was already screwed unless he immediately countered YRCed into FD. Because of the YRC slowdown, Hase got a free wolf spider jump in unless Ain had mashed an AA beforehand.

It's pretty much like the Alpha 3 V-Zangief situation where if Zangief does kara-canceled towards fierce CC activate and you did something before the activate freeze then you were going to get hit.

Personally I am not very fond of Ain's approach in many parts of neutral as he seems to set situations to enter into yomiai on purpose when he doesn't have to, even though he's not as good as Buppa was in resolving yomiai. I concede that Ky perhaps may have to do that more often in ultra high level Xrd because of YRC, although even Ain avoided yomiai as much as possible in the match against Mugen.

A lot of times I saw Ain purposely reset instead of trying to oki and be in Sol's range. (1:07:40). I don't think I'm brave enough for this for fear of folding but I think that kind of patience is something I may need. After the super he just started walking backwards. He had the lead so why not? That's something I have to drill into my head to do. You see it vs Hase too. Once he has the lead he becomes really defensive. 

I'm really learning a lot from this, i'm very unfamiliar with Slayer so I don't have much to add but I feel like I understand a little better now. I don't know what "BDC" means, exactly. I'm guessing Slayer can cancel his backdash startup? What is it used for?

I'm really learning a lot from this, i'm very unfamiliar with Slayer so I don't have much to add but I feel like I understand a little better now. I don't know what "BDC" means, exactly. I'm guessing Slayer can cancel his backdash startup? What is it used for?

BDC is back dash cancel.

Slayer's backdash is invincible and cancellable into any special move or jump. Cancelling the backdash into anything gives that move the invincibility properties of the backdash, which was a glitch that has been retained intentionally since XX. Think CvS2 roll canceling. So he can make his mappas, bite, dandy, or even jump completely invincible on startup, which also includes ridiculous things like invincible jump p as AA or invincible air throw/j. HS option select.