Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HoodByLuis

Stuck Between Learning Blazblue or Guilty Gear.

Heys guys! This is my first post on the forum but I have been reading tips/advice on here for about a couple of weeks now. I'm fairly new to this type of fighter (coming from Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Killer Instinct).

Long story short, I own a PS4 and own both Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN and BlazBlue Chronophantasma EXTEND and I enjoy both of them. My thing is, in the long run, which series has more players playing it? Which is more popular? Which do you guys recommend I stick with? Thanks!

BB overall is probably more popular but right now GG is in a serious boom due to not just having a new game but returning after a long absence.  There's 0 reason why you can't play both but in the long run you should play which one YOU prefer.

Thanks for the super fast reply! 

Ah, I see! 

Well, it's more of a "I don't want to be stuck being the only one playing the game" thing - which is why I asked. I like both of them but for some reason, lean more towards Guilty Gear. I plan on competing at CEOtaku in October in Orlando for one of these games so just wanted to know which one has the "better" community. 

Whatever anyone says before this topic gets closed only one thing is relevant in your case - play whatever you want. I know the "I don't want to be stuck being the only one playing the game" thing but it's largely irrelevant as of now. I'd say BB is on its last legs, some will say GG won't last any longer than next Evo, someone else will say lol play Tekken.

Both communities will remain competitive for some time. ASW is slowly but surely catching steam. Pick your favourite and dominate.

Yeah; The two games are pretty divergent in terms of their play experience, so I suggest you mess around with both and then play the one you like better.

/madness

If you're concerned about getting left behind in a "dead " game, don't worry about that.  Things have gotten a lot better as events are running both Xrd and BBCP and will probably continue to do so.  If your game doesn't make it as a "featured" game on the event, there's a serious chance it will be there as a side game.

Though Blazblue does seem to be doomed to be on the "Your game will never be at Evo because release dates" release cycle. x.x

Though Blazblue does seem to be doomed to be on the "Your game will never be at Evo because release dates" release cycle. x.x

It's been there before at least twice!  If anything I think next year will be GG and BB on mainstage with Persona as a side tournament.  Only time will tell though.

It's been there before at least twice!  If anything I think next year will be GG and BB on mainstage with Persona as a side tournament.  Only time will tell though.

I'm not even counting on there being a Western release of BBCF in time for Evo next year.

Older players that were active around the time of XX might gravitate more towards Xrd than CPE.

Xrd will likely have more active players in tournaments.

Xrd has Faust if you're into that.

I'm not even counting on there being a Western release of BBCF in time for Evo next year.

It hasn't even been released in Arcades yet :V

Play what you want is all I can say to this question; I wouldn't be too concerned about either game being "dead"; Xrd was arguably the highlight of EVO this year with top players from all around putting on a good show and a few entertaining moments, as well as being in the middle of a renaissance of being the first major Guilty Gear in years. REVELATOR will be out soon, which will bring in more players due to adding an old favorite and a new character as well.

While reception to EXTEND has been...ambivalent to say the least, it still has a decent following and had the largest of any side tournament for Anime games at EVO. CENTRALFICTION will be out this Winter and more info will be coming as months pass on. 

So you really can't go wrong with either game. There's also no reason why you can't play both, but it depends on what you're more invested in. I play most of the games covered by this site, but I'm primarily in Blazblue.

Thanks everyone for the input! Nice to know this forum isn't filled with elitist a-holes lol!

Based on what you guys told me and my own personal judgement, I'll dedicate time to Xrd - I've been playing as Millia and she's awesome lol.

i know you guys probably get asked this question all the time so sorry to add to the annoyance lol

I just didn't want to spend time trying to master a game that isn't going to last or even be played at tournaments but based on what you guys said, I'd be good with either game. Thanks again! I'll be active on here 

Words of Truth:

GGXrd's Challenge Mode is more lenient (easier combos to learn believe it or not).

BBCPEX's Challenge Mode is the beast since you have to literally figure stuff out for some challenges unless you go on the internet.

Guilty Gear is the safest bet, It will most likely be one of EVOs main stay games that will keep getting new updates. Blazblue doesn't have much left to offer, will more or less be likely on the side tournaments.

Guilty Gear is the safest bet, It will most likely be one of EVOs main stay games that will keep getting new updates. Blazblue doesn't have much left to offer, will more or less be likely on the side tournaments.

You have absolutely no way of knowing any of that, unless you have a time machine.  BB is still getting updates too and was at Evo last year.  Furthermore, Evo is not the only competitive tournament in the world.  BB isn't going anywhere, whether you like it or not.  

Baseless speculation is baseless.

Every single major for the next few months is running BB, not OVER GG but in addition to it.  I don't know if you're one of those people who thinks Evo is the only thing that matters or not, but by that logic we should all just drop everything except for SF4 and Melee.  I would appreciate it if you wouldn't spread blatant misinformation to impressionable new players.  Myself I would rather play the "worst" BB than any GG game, but even still read my first post...people should play what THEY find fulfilling.  Check your bias at the door, there is no "war" between the communities no matter how hard you try to instigate one.

As someone who plays and likes both games I will say this:

If you like long highly technical combos or stuff that requires precision, BlazBlue is your game.

If you like short high damage combos that don't take much effort but allow you the freedom to do various things with them, Guilty Gear might be your game.

The only big things that makes GG a step more complex than BB:
---Roman Cancel (Time Slow factor, which is really nice against very aggressive opponents as it slows them down, not to mention all the ways you can use it)
---Blitz Shield (similar I suppose to Crush Trigger, but on the defensive side of things and far more versatile since it can be done crouching or in the air and be charged).

BB is closer to KOF if you ask me, whereas GG is a distant relative of Samurai Showdown.

The only big things that makes GG a step more complex than BB:

---Roman Cancel (Time Slow factor, which is really nice against very aggressive opponents as it slows them down, not to mention all the ways you can use it)
---Blitz Shield (similar I suppose to Crush Trigger, but on the defensive side of things and far more versatile since it can be done crouching or in the air and be charged).

BB is closer to KOF if you ask me, whereas GG is a distant relative of Samurai Showdown.

I think you left out the famous GG emphasis on oki, which is seriously mitigated in BB by the various wakeup options.

Also, I'd have to dispute your last point, since I hate KOF and love SS, but I prefer BB. :P