Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corpse_Slam

Journey to be proficient on an arcade stick (video series)

So today is day three that I have my Mad Catz TE2 fightstick for the PS4, and I have begun documenting the process of learning how to use it. From here on out, I will be posting regular updates showing my progress. I will talk about what things I have trouble with, and what things are coming along easily. 

Some initial notes; 

-IAD has been very difficult

-Half circle forward is tough, but not nearly as hard as doing a DP mid-combo

There are more, but I will leave that to the video. I hope that this can serve as a recourse for people looking to make the switch from pad, to stick. If you have suggestions, please leave them here. Let's make a discussion of it! 

Here is the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYhuYYpCtQ&feature=youtu.be

So here is my second update video. 

Some notes: 

-Fixed the angle at which the camera for my hands was positioned

-Superimposed my hands over actual gameplay (PiP) for more accurate understanding of what I am doing

That's about it! I will continue to post these even if no one responds, just in case some one finds them helpful!

Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PHbyClBJE&feature=youtu.be

Regarding IADs, it looks like you're trying to do some kind of trick to get IAD on right side. If you think it's too elaborate, you might want to practice just doing 9, then 6 (like it looks like you're doing on the left side.  Do both the motion you're doing now and just the individual pieces slowly to see which ones feels more comfortable..

As a warmup before playing online, you might want to beat on the cpu in arcade mode just to get used to playing with stick.

That said, your execution is a lot better than my week 1, lol.

Yes, you're right...I kind of came up with that little trick to try and make it work, but it just doesn't seem efficient. I will try your idea. Is that what you did to learn IAD? 

Usually to warm up, what I do is practice my special moves, do a few combos, and then play against the CPU on the hardest difficulty in practice mode for 10-15 minutes non stop. 

And thanks! I have really been trying to buckle down. It feels like I have completely gone back to not knowing anything, since my execution on pad is so much better. 

It's always like that at first. I got past that frustration by learning a new game that I had zero experience playing on pad (and for a while all I didn't have much but training mode anyway).

Been playing too many games with two (or one) button dashes to really be consistent with IADs, but I just learned to IAD the old boring way of just doing 9, then 6. I know for some other games that don't allow 96 that you have to do 686 instead, but my understanding is that since GG allows you to do 96, it's easier/better. YMMV though, if you can actually get that trick to be consistent (while not being a huge pain on your hands) then I would just use that.

Here is episode 3.

Some Notes:

-Doing 214 motions during a combo seem to be an issue for me. Especially when dealing with moves that don't have a lot of hitstop, because I feel like I need to rush in order to get the move to come out

-IAD still poses a bit of an issue

-Not having a button mapped to touch pad is absolutely idiotic, lol

Enjoy!!

@6:20 you don't (usually) need to hit neutral before you hit 2. 63214 gets you the 214 if you don't have a move that's 63214.

Also, be sure to be practicing combos in both directions, and that'll probably help with your issues.

Thanks Delrian! I wouldn't have thought that practicing the combo on both sides would help, but now that I am thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. I started practicing on my weaker side, and hopefully that will strengthen everything overall. Someone on reddit also pointed out that I am hitting K too soon in the motion (so 6321K4 instead of 63214K) so I am working on that as well

"Practice combos on both sides" is basically Fighting Game Learning Advice 102.   Fighting Game Learning Advice 101 is "Practice moves on both sides" (since doing a DP facing left is pretty different from doing it facing right.).  This is regardless of your control input, really, though it may be somewhat more important if using a stick.

Thanks Airk! Yeah, it has been a really long time since I have had to learn how to input commands, so I am not used to having to think in that way. It is definitely helps though.