Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeit Kuppler

[CT+CS1] Noel vs. Nu/Lambda

This is the match up I have the most experience with, so I'll share what I have learned from it. Please feel to put in your input and critiques, as I am not 100% sure about some of these things. These are just observations I have made while playing these match ups. 1. Stay out of the air. V-13 pretty much out prioritizes everything you do in the air as far as I know. If your up close to her and your approaching in the air, she has way more options than you to throw out an anti air. If your from a distance and your approaching from the air, she can throw out an air dagger and easily combo you, then push you away from here. You only want to air dash in when you see her throwing out a ground dagger. If your able to, stay as low as you can to the ground while being above the dagger(In this case, an instant air dash will work well). 2. Your normals are faster, but her normals have longer range. Pretty much, as you all know you want to stay as close as possible to V-13 during this match up. You can't let her have any distance at all because you literally have 0 offensive options. Noel's projectiles simply are not fast enough as hers. I normally approach from the ground by running towards her. You can cancel your run and instantly block if you barrier guard. You should do this if you see her attacking. Your goal here is to get close enough to throw out a normal or get within grab range and do your normal BnBs from there. Once your inside, chase her techs and continue the pressure. 3. Once your inside, she will of course try to attack back. A lot of V-13s love to spam the rapid daggers at close range. Your 1C goes right underneath that. ;o Another cool thing to do is if they spam 2C, just use your 2D and it'll jump right over her. Remember, don't give her room to breath. Throw out normals like your life depends on it. Also remember what character your playing. Noel is awesome at mix ups, so if their blocking, mix things up and work that pressure. The hardest part of this match up is closing in. But as long as your not stupid with your approaches and your completely random about it, you should be able to approach even the best V-13 player.

This is actually my favourite matchup simply because of the dynamics behind it. V-13 is trying her best to keep Noel out, and Noel is trying her best to get close. Depending on where the players are, the advantage swings from player to player in a single match (lots of cool combacks and stuff). When Noel is far from V-13, you really have to be patient and block well or you'll eat 4k meterless combos. One of V-13's most common combo at a distance is throwing two ground swords, then two overhead swordsfollowed by a saw that hits low. When Noel is in 5D range, use it! At this range, V-13 will probably either use 2D or 6D. From most games I've played, 5D will either beat V-13 outright, or you'll trade. If you trade, you still get a counter hit so you can still follow up with 5D 6C 214A.

5D is very, very risky - you really do have to know how to use it against moves like 5D and the like otherwise there is no guarantee you'll hit her. And yeah, you have to be kinda careful about her 2C on the ground as well because it has good close ground horizontal range for an AA attack...and on CH it leads to launch...BOOOOO

I have one word to contribute to this thread:

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

That is all... ;_;

Helpful advice so far though... I'll try my best to make use of it. I really don't want to feel like i need to change characters because I'm sorely disadvantaged against the most used/best character.

This fight is just terrible. It's not even a real fight.. I mean.. nu's really got nothing once you're close.. so she has no option other than running .. and you really have no way of closing distance.. other than walking.. so we run and run and run.. Only thing I can think of is to avoid air dash as you can't block until the end of the last few frames.. and hold back and ab a lot when jumping. 3C is a pretty good option if she does her multiple straight swords when you're sorta close. I haven't had much luck breaking by her overhead swing thingy, but it has a lot of recovery frames so if you just block and do off the ground air dash (at this range she has no D swords) into j.c >5a> 6a you can get some decent damage in. Try to do combos that leave her on the ground, so she doesn't have time to air recover and dash away. Best option is the 6c bc miss loop into chain revolver but that is a very technical move and I generally can't pull it off.. so I get into the air. I try to use to end my combo with air throw rather than air 236C as this will force nu to the ground and I can hump her face.

You just have to keep calm in this match and not be pressure into making a mistake. Nu's mixup is not that great at all, and it is quite easy to block, but it can get frustrating when you are always blocking. Just take your time going in, she does not gain a lot of Guard Libra on you anyways. I find great success in this match when I actually do not dashing at all!

If you guess one sword right, you are in. This is important, obvious, but very important. If you are not thinking about this, you probably should now and then.

Well if the person is Spamming D, then there is no real pattern or coherent strategy there. Most of the time you can IAD through the swords. Now if the V-13 is COMBOING the D swords, then you gotta keep blocking and look for an opening to approach (most likely the ground is your best option)

edit: lol I'm at work when I post here, don't always have time to proofread XD

Well if the person is Spamming D, then there is no real pattern or coherent strategy there. Most of the time you can IAD through the swords. Now if the Noel is COMBOING the D swords, then you gotta keep blocking and look for an opening to approach (most likely the ground is your best option)

ROFL @ the change of character XD

Kraz makes a good point. IAD works wonders in this match to get through D spamming. As for if they're D comboing, most of the combos only go for about 4-7 hits before knocking you in the air and continueing the combo there for max damage. Keep calm and when you get a chance, IAD to retaliatory combo of choice.

Watch out for the Ground blades she can shoot. You have to block low on those and usually, they're at the end of a D spam if you block it. So keep an eye out for the start up frames and block low before you fall.

I just jump forward and hold back all day.. and block swords over and over. Until I get to air dash range and then I dash in to j.C. It gets them into that mentality that I'm always gonna go air. then I do a quick ground run and 3C and hump their face. Gotta play the psychology.. it's the only thing that works for me.

I just jump forward and hold back all day.. and block swords over and over. Until I get to air dash range and then I dash in to j.C. It gets them into that mentality that I'm always gonna go air. then I do a quick ground run and 3C and hump their face. Gotta play the psychology.. it's the only thing that works for me.

This doesn't work because V-13 can air dash off her 6D to continue pressure, get more space, and maybe even mixup. All while working your guard and gaining meter.

Jumping and blocking certainly is important, but like anything in one of these games, you don't want to be to predictable. Run forwards into fd block should also be used. One interesting trick I use is when landing do the jump D cancel to get a 214D out. Can cover alot of space with a good amount of invul.

This doesn't work because V-13 can air dash off her 6D to continue pressure, get more space, and maybe even mixup. All while working your guard and gaining meter.

Jumping and blocking certainly is important, but like anything in one of these games, you don't want to be to predictable. Run forwards into fd block should also be used. One interesting trick I use is when landing do the jump D cancel to get a 214D out. Can cover alot of space with a good amount of invul.

I was saying how I play one way to fake her out .. hence the psychology part. Anywho, the landing 214D is pretty solid too.. but is very punishable on block. Again.. mixing it up is going to be the key.

i played against a really good v-13 player, and after i played enough i found out that 1C and 3C are very very useful against her. especially 3C it is very useful because although it doesnt look like it, this move really has some really good range.

j.C counts as a projectile and thus cancels swords. I'll confirm this tonight.

Nowai.

All the v13s I've played love the 5dd4dd236d blockstring which doesn't ever do any real damage but annoys the hell out of you, and keeps you blocking. Does anyone know if there is any point in that chain that you can instant block the second or first sword and dash out of the rest? I remember reading something about that in the Carl Clover boards and that would help immensely in boring nu fights.

This works for me, don't know if it's legit or not but I've yet to fail when I do it. I like to throw Nu players of their rhythm sometimes by staying on the ground a second longer. They usual expect a Noel players to bounce back up and keep the pressure. I don't do this all the time but the times I have, they end up sending the wrong sword to deal with it allowing me to get in.

As everyone was saying about the IAD, it works wonders if you predict a 236D from Nu. IAD goes right over it and it has enough lag that you can get in a few jabs and start the pressure before she has a chance to move away ^^b

Nowai.

All the v13s I've played love the 5dd4dd236d blockstring which doesn't ever do any real damage but annoys the hell out of you, and keeps you blocking. Does anyone know if there is any point in that chain that you can instant block the second or first sword and dash out of the rest? I remember reading something about that in the Carl Clover boards and that would help immensely in boring nu fights.

Ib the second hit of 5DD and iad (timing is a little strict though). Watch out for 5DD, act plusar(dash cancel thingy), 2C, though, because I believe that will catch you for an air combo if you are trying to iad.

j.C counts as a projectile and thus cancels swords. I'll confirm this tonight.

This 110% did not work. :toot:

She'll sometimes cover the sword spirte with her gunbursts, but it's definitely still there.

Intentionally jC'ing into Nu's 6D == :vbang:

All the v13s I've played love the 5dd4dd236d blockstring which [snip] instant block the second or first sword and dash out of the rest? [snip]

You can 3C the first sword if you know it's coming. Timing is tough on netplay reaction, though. 3C will clear you away from the next sword, usually leaving them pretty wide open if they're just mashing that combo out.

If you know 5D is coming, IAD goes over it and under the next D.

You have to airdash high if you expect a 214D from Nu (this is the ground wave, ya?) cos that stupid thing actually hits pretty high.

Pulse phazr laser or whatever Nu's thing is where she can hit confirm 5D (and other moves) and teleport can be beat with 5C or 2C (even in mid animation, hits register in both directions).

Nu's 6C, 2C and 3C will eat Noel's 3C, so careful on that.

I'm trying to master Noel's (split second delayed) IAD, B, C, 236236D on Nu DeeDeeDees....

As everyone was saying about the IAD, it works wonders if you predict a 236D from Nu.

IAD goes right over it and it has enough lag that you can get in a few jabs and start the pressure before she has a chance to move away ^^b

If you IAD off the ground correctly and hit Nu with jC, you can go directly into 6C, 2C or even A, A, 6A, 6C BnB or IAD, 6C, 4B+C, 214A -> BnB.

I haven't read many of the replies so I might sound like a dumb ass, but here's my two cents: Mix up your approach, although this stands for every character, V13 requires one knock-down then it's all a matter of maintaining pressure. All of the V13s I've played online have a hard time zoning when I'm approaching from the air.. maybe they're missing something, or it's actually a good idea?

Hey, just throwing in my 2 cents here. I don't play as noel, but I used fight her alot online so I think I know a little on how noel can kick my ass. Basically, yeah, getting in the air is risky for noel. The a good nu won't throw out swords willy nilly, but there are several other ways you can get hit, either a sword wave or a TKed qcb D or a 2d. Gravity Wells are also very dangerous to Noel. They serve to break momentum and can lead to nu applying all sorts of counter pressure. Pressure on V13 needs to be constant and against scrubbier nu's, you can throw out a lot of stuff while they just try to get a C move. A good nu will use 2a,2b,2c,6c, Act Pulsar as a method to get out of pressure. This can somewhat limit your mixup as trying to hit with something that has too much startup will just let them escape. Also be careful for the Giant Sword Super, if you don't hit her within the first few frames then it will still come out. I guess I don't need to mention that if Nu has meter you need to be even more careful with your approach and be careful when blocking (because you might eat a high/low and a followup). Sorry if I'm not any more detailed, these are just the sorts of things that tend to work for me.

what is the best way to maintain pressure as Noel against v-13, I find decent ones like to either tech grab, tech 4b, or tech 2c. Is there an approach that Im safe on for all of these options?

2D against 2C and 5B against 4B. I don't know that many Nu's that do 4B? It's pretty punishable on block (first or second hit).