Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fortune

Margaret vs Mitsuru

Discuss the matchup here. If needed, this post will also fill in relevant summaries for both characters.

For Margaret:

Mitsuru's poking game makes this a funky matchup. I'm going to preface this with saying I still do pretty bad Margaret pressure, but it seems like she can 5A/Coup through pretty much every persona attack if we try to use it in pressure at less than fullscreen. Looks to me like we'll get our best hits in by waiting for Mitsuru to bite off more than she can chew and whiff something/do something unsafe.

Thoughts on this matchup?

She can just 5a or coup your pressure so easily. Sweep is kinda nice but 5a normally got punished hard by droit idk this mu feels bad

If Mitsuru is punishing Margaret's 5A you're either whiffing or doing something weird with your pressure, because I'm pretty sure you can just Gatling into safe strings. If she's Couping through your Persona attacks you can throw out 5D at the spot where she likes to do so and eat it, although SB will actually still hit you at close-ish ranges. (She's spending 25 meter for a standing confirm with bad damage and risk/reward at that point, unless she burns another 50.) I feel like Margaret is pretty hard for Mitsuru to challenge in the air because her aerial persona attacks can out-poke j.A and reward her more, and Margaret has plenty of non-Persona tools to get in with that Mits absolutely cannot just 5A or Coup through.

On the Mits side of things, you're basically just poking Margaret to death on the ground and waiting for chances to anti-air on reaction if she decides to play floaty. I've personally had a great deal of trouble anti-airing her dive kick though, so be careful with that. Her ice ball is head attribute, so if somebody tries to be cheesy and do that virtually infinite projectile string in your face (*stares at Lord Knight*) you should be able to head invuln through it with 2B. 5D will eat your pokes, but you can get yourself a nice counter hit crouching confirm if you see her crouching when that same persona comes out - that's the anti-air (2D) and that's the one you can definitely Coup through for a punish. After 236D (the heavy spear throw that spins first, I may be wrong on the input) you can 5A on block and begin pressure or punish greedy button pressing unless Margaret is across the screen. Non-reactionary damage is actually pretty hard to get, but Margaret's reversal is pretty bad until she gets 50 meter to power scam you with, so stagger appropriately and watch out for that 50 mark.

On the Margaret side, it's Mitsuru. She pokes people and does stagger pressure for days. That's what she does. But her 5A is 8 frames and A Coup is 9, and you have a 7 frame 2A and insane gatlings and stagger options of your own, and your instant overhead is better than hers. Basically it comes down to baiting reversals and/or whiffs; Mits really can't afford to whiff against Margaret's insane range even more than against most characters. Also you have a full screen sweep that invulns through, counterhits, or low profiles most of Mitsuru's long range pokes. Also, it's Mitsuru, which means her pressure is lengthy but her strings are short. You just have to learn the other player's habits and get good at blowing up Sweep and charged/feint 5B. You can even hard-call out uncharged 5B with a reversal or 5C with a super, but there are obvious risks with that.

That's all from me for now, but I DESPISE this matchup as Mits; I may have a better DP and 5A, but you have the setplay, the ambiguous crossups, the actual high/low, superior range in some senses, a better air game, and better damage output. Because of how effective both of these characters are in neutral, a genuine lucky guess can turn the tide of the match, and in my opinion Marge needs one less lucky guess to get a kill. (Inb4gitgudscrub and various complaints about death by a thousand rapiers.)