Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyle

[CT] Carl Clover Combos: Clap Trap Inside

You don't need your brother to help you out with finding correct throw loop timing.

Here is how.

- Play using Carl in practice mode with opponent set as Taokaka or Noel.

- Record the opponent doing one input of throw followed by a mash of forward (it might be backwards, I forget since it was long ago that I did this) inputs for about 3 seconds (mash like you've never mashed before).

- Now try to throw loop them but when you grab simultaneously press your playback button and watch in horror as they will escape if you did it incorrectly.

EDIT Please note - Once complete record a small section of throw loop and test it against both delayed tech/instant tech into airdash. With the delayed tech you want to be teching so late that you miss and work backwards.

- Repeat last 2 steps until perfection of the technique.

To clarify simply (not really) WHY throw loop works is a basic combination of a few things to make a whole

- Throws do unprorated damage when placed in combos.

- When throws are broken the proration on combos are reset.

- The ability to place throws in combos.

- Nirvana has lots of life to do many claps. Repeated claps life cost do cumulative damage to her health. If reactivated this cost is reset.

- 8d is unblockable in the air (You cant barrier block it, it wont help).

- 8d will continue to execute even after an opponent throw breaks.

- 8d is active for a long time (to allow for the opponent breaking the throw early/late).

- When an opponent breaks a throw they move backwards.

- The opponent has about 1-2f of invulnerability after throw breaking, and in that time they have no viable option to escape the impending clap.

- Its possible to combo if the opponent decides to not throw break.

- It is almost always possible to combo the opponent after they throw break, thus resetting the loop.

And while its not important but it must be noted.

- It is sometimes possible to combo the opponent after they throw break and proceed to burst.

I'm curious about this: I've only encountered this in very good bangs, but a certain player who i enjoy playing with is able to throw break and use bang's teleport drive to auto block and escape the loop. is this just faulty timing on my part?

It is your fault for trying to 8d late. Bang cannot legitimately escape throw loop with j.d as the GP on the move is active AFTER frame 4. Just go to prac mode and try the above test. It will IMMENSELY help with your timing and correct your spacing too.

- Play using Carl in practice mode with opponent set as Taokaka or Noel.

- Record the opponent doing one input of throw followed by a mash of forward (it might be backwards, I forget since it was long ago that I did this) inputs for about 3 seconds (mash like you've never mashed before).

- Now try to throw loop them but when you grab simultaneously press your playback button and watch in horror as they will escape if you did it incorrectly.

- Repeat last step until perfection of the technique.

ooooorrrrr you could go to the training menu and set it so the dummy autobreaks out of purple throws.

How does that help? It wont airdash out. The airdash is there for a reason. There are alternatives to learning the correct timing but this is a solid universal (almost) escape method for badly timed (delayed 8d) clap loops.

How about you guys try a reset off of 236236D into: Back Dash, J.2C, Alle~can, 2C, SuperJump, J.B, 8]D[, reverse glide-toss whiff, 5B, J.B, 8]D[, 2C 8]D[, ClapTrap. Is this going to work anyone?

Just Started Carl yesterday and i got question about Clap loop. when i do 2a>2b>22]d[>3c>iad.2c>alecan>2c>8]d[>9.b+c ... if the opponent tech, how the heck i continue this combo since Nirvana looks get reset-ed and i didn't get 8]d[ to came out in time?

at what point are they teching and what do you mean Nirvana is resetting? I think I have an idea about what you mean for the second question but just verify.

i set the ai to tech grab immediately, For Nirvana Resetting is i meant i lost my [d] during throw break and Nirvana need to activate again so the 8d can't get out in time to catch the opponent

Simply put, you're not doing the 8D earlier enough. You need to 8]D[ right before you input throw. Its easier if you're already holding down the D button so all you have to do is release it rather than having to press the button and then release it. Nirvana won't do any of your normal moves until you release the D button. For one thing if you press the D button you have to take into consideration the 16 frames of activation she has to go through before she even begins to do 8D. By already hold down D you take care of that.

Ok, next question if the opponent didn't tech grab, do the 8]d[ active long enough to catch them after the grab? or i need to predict they will tech my grab in the combos?

You do the throw loop with the intention of doing the whole combo. If your opponent decides to break your throws you can easily see that and then proceed to put them back into the loop. Once you put them back in the loop you are once again intending to do the whole combo (which you need to learn). If your opponent knows that you can't throw loop, they won't break it because they know that you'll eventually drop it. Its not hard to see them break a throw and you just dash up and knock them back into an 8D. If they don't tech the 8D should hit them moment your throw is finished, then you can airdash and do another throw and then continue with the loop until their life is gone for the most part.

What's the best way to get the full 9500 damage on an opposing Carl who decides not to throw break, starting the combo from 2A (for the bad proration)? I'm drawing a blank here. For reference, lately I've been using: 2A > 2B > 3C 22]D[ > IAD delayed j.2C > jump forward j.B > j.C > 8]D[ > land, dash, 2C > 8]D[ > throw+clap > airdash throw+clap > 6A > 8]D[ > (grab slightly higher than the previous ones) throw+clap > airdash throw+clap > 5A + 8]D[ > 236A > jump forward throw+clap > airdash, keep nirvana activated and move her backwards, throw+clap > typical RC ender

http://rapidshare.com/files/336065165/clip_for_isuyaru.mp4.html

I made a video for you isuyaru to get 100% loop. First off regular 2a and the other off a sandwhich string. sorry for the quality, but when i join two clips together the quality decrease :( Hope it helps. Also, Hammer of thor I seen your match on youtube. If we dont lose you will get them next time. good stuff :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/336065165/clip_for_isuyaru.mp4.html

I made a video for you isuyaru to get 100% loop. First off regular 2a and the other off a sandwhich string. sorry for the quality, but when i join two clips together the quality decrease :( Hope it helps. Also, Hammer of thor I seen your match on youtube. If we dont lose you will get them next time. good stuff :)

Haha thanks. I feel like my performance in the video was of considerably poorer quality than usual. Maybe I was just nervous. Would you mind doing some mirrors sometime?

Also what is a good way to keep pressure on in the corner without Ada? I think that's what cost me the final round.

Edit:

I capitalized "what" in the last sentence, so I changed it so that I wouldn't look like an idiot. But then I'm writing this anyway...:8/:

...what is a good way to keep pressure on in the corner without Ada?...

5B, IAD, J.2C,Alle~can,...

whatever into gear super into whatever