Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caer-caveral

AC Combos: Theory and Practice

yeah, that one works, and it's good for some of the more iffy characters like Johnny. On him, I have found that the combo you said, but with this added: 5S > jP > jP > jK > jS > BL(1) > 236P to be a good combo. However, in most cases, I find it preferable to do my standard 6P > S > 2D > HS EXE FRC > dash S > delay > jK > jS > jHS > BL 1-hit > sideswitch HS > net > tk BL > 236P The damage difference is small, it always gives you a curse, and for me at least it's much easier to do. You can also do it from even large distances from the corner by adding a bit to the aircombo. It's different for different character, but for example on Slayer you do jK > jS > djK > djS > djHS > BL(1), while on Sol you do jK > jS > dj S > dj HS > BL(1)

Man.......finally i managed to hit those sideswitch kombos :) I understood what i was doing wrong when one time i accidently did it how i suppose to and saw the difference between: - HS EXE FRC > dash S > delay > jK and - HS EXE FRC > dash S > jK :eng101: Here is a variation of it that i saw during Shonen's match against Nakamura (Millia) at the last SBO: midscreen - 2K > 5S > 2D > HS EXE FRC > dash 5K > delay > j.K > j.S > dj.S > dj.HS > 1-hit BL > sideswitch 5HS > net > TK BL > curse It's basically the same but i think it hits from further away, so when you're doing a far gatling into 2D > HS EXE FRC you can replace 5S with 5K if you think that you won't manage to dash > 5S before they can recover. I find the delay timing in both versions a bit odd, but i think i just need to get used to it :yaaay:

hmmm I recently just started doing sideswitch combos but I wasn't sure why it was inconsistent, I'll have to practice with the delay

sideswitch combos character specific

the begin of the combo is, as you all know,: 6P>5S>2D>H EXE FRC> DASH>5S> DELAY...

...j.K>j.P>j.D>BL 1 hit> sideswitch> 5HS>ZEINEST> tk BL> P SKULL (baiken,bridget,jam)

...j.k>j.S>JC>j.S>j.HS>BL 1hit>sideswitch>5HS> BL> P SKULL (dizzy,sol,zappa,axl,ino,chipp)

...j.K>j.S>j.HS>BL 1hit> sideswitch> 5HS> BL> p SKULL (order sol,slayer,robo ky)

...j.K>j.S>JC>j.K>j.S>j.HS> BL 1 Hit>sideswitch> 5HS> BL> P SKULL (testament,ky,jhonny,faust,anjizato,venom)

...j.K>j.S>JC>j.K>j.P>j.D>BL 1Hit>sideswitch>5HS>BL>P SKULL (ABA, millia)

...j.K>j.S>JC>j.K>j.S>1hit BL>sideswitch>5HS>BL> P SKULL (may)

...j.P>j.K>j.S>JC>j.K>j.S>j.HS<1 hit BL>sidewitch>5HS>BL> P SKULL (potemkin)

for millia and dizzy after the 5HS is required ZEINEST and then tk BL.

On each character I wrote the best sideswitch combo( the most demaging of course).

Please tell me if there are mistakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sweat:

Looked through a bit and didn't see anything talking about getting the fastest TK badlands (cancelling directly out of your jump). Has this been mentioned anywhere? The more I play around with Testament the more I realize how important it can be to add damage or combo at all in many situations. Also I think it makes souling a lot easier at the end because you recover quicker.

2147+ P ? thats about all there is to it really... also, there are times when you dont want to do it as fast as possible, for instance, if you ever try to zeiniest loop somebody, some characters you can only get more reps in by normal jumping then badland'ing (new word!)...its still rather quick, but the 2147 in this case may throw them too far or too low. also, thanks diver for the sideswitchin stuffs

Yes, it's just 2147P, but getting the fastest badlands is definitely something that shouldn't be overlooked. You can tell if you get it because you're cancelling DIRECTLY from your jump, meaning even though you're superjumping (assuming you did 2147 fast enough to get a superjump), you cancel your superjump just like a 1f FD jump, so you won't get the superjump motion while you're airborne. Maybe you're confusing fastest badlands with normal jumping and doing badlands, superjumping or normal jumping makes no difference in how fast your badlands comes out, only in how fast you input it.. the only cases you wouldn't want to do fastest badlands would be if it would send them too high/far out, in which case you just delay it and get a TK badlands with the SJ motion. An easy way to see the difference and practice it is to play against Slayer and do TK badlands loop from the starting positions. If you aren't getting the fastest ones, it won't continue comboing because he gets too far away. It's this way for the first couple on most characters, Baiken for example.

I also notice that doing TK badlands with different timing will change which way they fly after a crossup TK badlands (on okizeme). Any mess with that? If they fly in Testament's direction after the TK badlands, you can probably do 5s, j. k, j. s, j. hs, 1 hit BL, whatever you want. But I didn't mess with this too much (crappy execution).

I believe the only time they fly in your direction is if you manage to hit them on the original side, so it doesn't actually cross up. To make the second whiff hit, it seems that all you need is forward velocity. Doing TK badlands with 2148 or 2149P as you're running will get it. Actually that's pretty interesting, even though you still haven't technically started jumping back yet, cancelling 7 into badlands before the jump comes out will still lose running velocity, so it has to be 8 or 9. This actually works pretty similar to TK youzansen, keeping your running velocity makes you go over them.

Hellmonkey, just looking for some quick clarification: if I do a TK badlands and it has the superjump effect on it, that means I did it too slowly? Exactly how long of a pause should I have with the 2147+P to get the move out properly?

If you have the superjump effect on it, that means it wasn't as fast as it could possibly be. Make sure that you are doing the entire motion fast enough to actually get a superjump (if you do it too slowly, you will normal jump and won't be able to tell if you're getting it or not). If you are too early you will get a ground badlands, too late and you will get SJ motion. It will feel really obvious if you're getting it too early because ground badlands is much slower.

Oddly enough, you can even get the TK without the SJ shadows and without the dust. In general, you can tell its TK just because of the recover and how far the opponent's body would go. Trying to find a good way to motion the TK is my only issue. Some people say to do the TK motion as slow as possible, which works but not all the time. Others say do it as fast as possible, but when doing that I normally get the shadows. Ah, more playing I suppose. BTW, does anyone have the vid of Testament doing all those grab Badland loops combos on all the characters? I can never seem to land the skull on the opponent after I'm done with the loop =( EDIT: Fixed some typos... I think >_>

Doing it at slow as possible means that you're normal jumping, so even if you don't get the fastest badlands it won't have the superjump effect on it. Doing it as fast as possible and not getting the SJ effect is how you know you're timing it right.

Doing it as fast as possible and not getting the SJ effect is how you know you're timing it right.

With that said, what would possibly be the best motion in doing this.

Just timing the punch when doing the TK? Can't seem to get it if I do the motion too fast.

Hrrrmmmmm.......

Still trying to figure out the best way in doing this ;(

It seems like negative edging helps, but I think thats just me ;o

If its super jumped (shadow) u just gotta add say a 5hs for example most of the time (or a 2 hit variant of it) and the combo will still work fine. Usually it wont super jump (shadow) if u 2148P, but to be sure i do 21478P anyway.

BTW, does anyone have the vid of Testament doing all those grab Badland loops combos on all the characters?

I can never seem to land the skull on the opponent after I'm done with the loop =(

throw combos are found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWl_kZ5f1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp4icZqH5sw

Anyway, I don't really think about the tk timing that much. I do the motion pretty fast, and then it's mostly about pressing the button at the right time. Just mess around with it, you'll find it eventually. Good spot to practice in my opinion is to do a far gatling on baiken to 2D > BL > tk BL, because that's quite an important link in that matchup. If you can do that consistently, you won't encounter that many tk related problems.

Pressing P at the right time is all it is, doing the TK motion quickly allows you to check if you're actually getting the right timing or not. Getting the fastest timing might not seem like it makes a huge difference but it lets you throw in extra badlands at the end of combos, allows you to continue after 5HS badlands when you otherwise wouldn't, and is required to start some off (like baiken as you mentioned). The extra meter and slightly quicker recovery seems to actually make quite a bit of difference- start off the round against baiken with badlands, using fastest badlands you can make a full 50% tension and poison at the end for example, without using it you'd never get that. One of the best ways IMO to measure someone's experience with Testament is to see if they use it often, Shounen is known for hitting it all the time.

I think I'm missing something here, but I can't seem to get it at all no matter how fast my inputs are.

What am I doing wrong? I seem to always get the shadows =/

Is it possible for someone to make a short and simple vid of someone doing this while showing inputs?

EDIT: Actually, better question.

I may be doing it right but just asking. If I'm able to do a badlands loop a good 4 times on Sol from starting position (and with just badlands only), does that mean I did them all TK'd? Or am I just timing the ground one really good? lol.

I'm trying to see what actually shows that I'm doing it right.

When I watch testament videos, I notice people would do the badlands without the shadows but has the dust animation from the jump (the dust that appears from under the character after they jump). But when I do it, I get no dust or shadows.

Wondering if I'm doing something right or wrong because I can't seem to get the dust without the shadows.

Can someone clarify the 2? So if I'm such a noob =(

Ah, thanks for the link.

lol, I'm having a hard time getting the skull on the opponent, but I should be able to in due time ;o

I'm still learning how to do the Tk.bl as well, and I'm also having trouble noticing when I've done the TK properly or not. I came up with a trick that helped a bit: go into training, pick any opponent. Set the level to the observatory (whatever it's called, Sol's stage). Push the dummy all the way into either corner then get as far to the other side of the screen as possible. At that distance if you do a normal badlands, the tip of the end of testament's scythe will overlap one of the pillars. If you do a TK one, it will be past the pillar. Anyway, that helped me. Maybe it can help someone else.

I use the trick of looking at the background as well- it works nicely. But I may have found an even easier way to practice the timing. Instead of using the tk.BL in a real combo or against the background, just do a tk.net (tiger knee 2147 wait a split second, hit the H key). It is completely obvious if you jump or not with that. It's not perfect practice as it's a different button, but it should give you a good feel with very obvious feedback in a quicker fashion than the real thing. Hope that helps someone out there. And I tend to agree that the superjump shadow version (which apparently isn't good to do ever?, still fuzzy on that) is with a longer pause before you hit the button, but I may have found one more piece of advice... fairly sure you can totally avoid the superjump shadows by holding the joystick at the 2 position a moment prior to the time you need to do the tk motion. That way you can't get a superjump (superjump only happens when you go from neutral 5 to tap down 2, then immediately tap up 8). That may be the bit that pushes me into actually being able to perform some of these combos reliably.

Can you only crossup(under) certain characters in the corner in this game, like third strike or something? throw into corner, 5HS, net, running jump jK jS jHS 1hit BL, land... from here I know you're supposed to cross under them, combo into a net, TK BL, curse but a lot of the time when I'm messing around and playing testament I even try to walk under and I just end up with a 5hs HS EXE beast whiff from the wrong side EDIT: oh okay, crossup guard :psyduck:

If you want to know if you're getting a TK badland or a normal one, look at the damage you do when you hit the training dummy. Normal badlands does 50, air one does 46. I can TK badlands 100% when just standing around, but doing it after a normal badlands is a royal pain. You have to execute it WAAAAY later than it feels like you should be trying to. Also, getting the super-jump shadow version doesn't seem to make any difference at all for me when doing loops. It feels exactly the same as a normal TK BL, only looks different. What are the best combos to do on people for 25% tension? I've been doing the following three combos ....2D FEXE FRC BL -> TK BL -> r.6K 5HS BL -> TK BL (make necessary modifications for different characters) or ....2D FEXE FRC iad j.HS j.D 214HS j.S j.HS 1hit BL 5HS 214HS TK BL or (air hit or net combo) j.K j.S j.HS 1hit BL 5HS 214D 5HS 214HS TK BL 2366P The second combo I find to be a LOT easier to do, does comparable damage, and generally has no disadvantage to the more difficult BL loop setup (too much TK BL ... ugh). The only character I found (keep in mind I only checked on like 4 characters) that the first combo did more damage to was Jam, where you can loop her a lot more than anyone else, and even then the first combo only did like 3 more damage. I'm open to suggestions for improvements. What do YOU guys like to do for 25% tension combos?

Well, you can do whatever is easier for you, damage generally isn't that big a factor. Though I would say you should try and go for setup if you can, have them end up in the corner when you're done. Combos are in the first post. Exception is for light characters where it's generally good to just keep looping them.

What if I'd rather go for meaty tree crossup rather than curse? =) I'm getting better at that first combo I listed. After experimenting on other characters I now also see the importance of the shadowless tk BL. On characters like Johnny, you have to do shadowless tk BL for both the tk BLs or you'll drop the combo. Even Sol needs them to be shadowless. It's also made for good practice on the far 2D BL -> tk BL link on Baiken. Which is total hax. Half damage for no tension? Poor Bacon.

I'm not a Testa player, but this is something I did just now and don't know how I started it. It ended up HS Badlands (one hit) HS Badlands (one hit) HS Badlands (onehit) Then I fumbled my corner follow up. On Axl, there was no side switching, he just kept landing on the HS and the badlands kept launching him forward with me. For the life of me I just can't replicate this.