Amadeous

Jam Kuradoberi General Discussion

So I'm just gonna do my breakdown of everything I've seen of Jam so far. Spoilers, this is #Reload Jam to a god damn T. If you were hoping for AC Jam, prepare to be disappointed. Me however, I am ecstatic because this is exactly what I wanted.

All of Jam's normals are the same, or rather the #Reload version of her normals, EXCEPT 6H and 2H. 2H is a new normal, the twirly hand thing, and I guess if people in this thread know more than I do is the new step kick? She does have her AC 6H and the follow up, but I guess that's the punch parry follow up then. I guess that makes sense. The parry 6H whatever the hell doesn't wall stick though. No idea what the parry kick follow up is.

This being #Reload Jam, she has 6K IAD j.P and 2D IAD j.P. Both of these still work like they did in #R, 2D IAD on light characters, 6K still appears to force stand. She also has her old #R special cancels, so get ready to see a lot of Dragon Kick xx DP xx Burn Kick. All day every day, it's the bread and butter.

Her throw is both new and the same, it's weird. It's now a two hit throw, the first hit is a straight knee to the jaw that launches, which leads into the second hit that is the classic style popup. Because of the knee, there is no YRC point, so no more 25 meter throw cancel. However, it's basically AC throw. You can jump and extend combos off of it, and because it's #R Jam, you basically get full air combos off of it thanks to special cancels. Probably the best the throw has ever been because of it.

Jam's symbols now have a new mechanic to them. There's basically a level 1 attack, the default no symbol attack, a level 2 attack, which is a symbol charge attack, and a level 3 attack, which is a 3 symbol charge attack. If you hold the symbol charge you can jump straight to level 3, but it's really slow. If you build 3 symbols, you automatically force the move to level 3. The most symbols you can have stocked is 2. The level 3 moves are HUGE, they look like supers.

Her Blitz Attack is Tetsuzanko. Sick.

All of her specials seem to operate like they did in #R.

EDIT: Also I'm seeing on Twitter that 2S is different and j.K is different. Haven't seen those yet so it's interesting to see how much they changed her.

Also, IK.

Edited by JohnGrimm

j.K is the same move but more of an upwards trajectory.

2S is similar but it's an elbow strike so it's way shorter range. not a poke anymore. 2P > 2P > 2K > 2S doesn't reach.

flame pillar super followup looks like Slayer's DoT, requires some timing to hit, if you miss you wallsplat yourself.

you can cancel parry from normals, parry has a whiff animation :( but you can go into the followups even on whiff. apparently 6H > parry P > P is possible 

Her new gatlings are 5h > 2h and 2h > 2d. They seem more like combo gatling than anything else. but depending on the frames associated with using parry as a cancel (in theory), it may be useful as pressure strings as well.

Throw rc damage is still respectable, and while a lot more characters have access to that option, Jam's is still on the higher end of average damage by screen location. As seen in the first posted video, you can sneak in a card during rc slowdown so 50% tension cost off a throw has a good number of options.

One report stated that 6p is slower and may be iffy as an aa (possibly back to 9f instead of 6f. Hard to tell from the video as it was only used twice). The animation associated with the second hit seems to have a better hitbox than before.

236s options are reverted to reload so it's more likely a zoning tool than anything else. Unfortunately neither of the videos could confirm whether 2d > 236s-k is available. The report didn't mention it either.

Some other bits and pieces-

-throw > 236236h works. 236236h has clean-hit properties. follow-up not available on whiff.

-6h has feet invun but no throw invun. CH wall sticks

-As mentioned, 2s looks like zato's 2p, superior hitbox but shorter range than before.

-Parry > P > K only works if follow-up P counters (result in stagger).

-Dash has smaller hitbox than before. Axl's 5p whiffs (no additional details).

-regular dp still has bad hitbox. charged versions have improved hitbox.

-senri wall stick on counter

-can't yrc dp, but can dp > flame kick (yrc)

reference- https://www.evernote.com/shard/s77/sh/2faef06f-c657-4361-bf71-ce1851c4a605/3f6b9f666abf03cdcf7e89f8f55a7829

Her throw is both new and the same, it's weird. It's now a two hit throw, the first hit is a straight knee to the jaw that launches, which leads into the second hit that is the classic style popup. Because of the knee, there is no YRC point, so no more 25 meter throw cancel. However, it's basically AC throw. You can jump and extend combos off of it, and because it's #R Jam, you basically get full air combos off of it thanks to special cancels. Probably the best the throw has ever been because of it.

Even if the knee wasn't there you still wouldn't be able to YRC, it would still count as the opponent being in hitstun. 

I'm insanely glad that jam is getting good treatment. I was worried she was a last minute throw in , But she looks great.

Now to just wait for some Direct Feed footage.

I think I'll drop this here:

KA2's alive. He hasn't gone to an arcade in years though, lol.

Can any of our Jam and/or Japanese scholars shed some light on the new facial expression in her IK? 

My only guess so far is it's a reaction to 我独 being a rip on her being self-conscious about not having a man? Or is there something in the audio we're missing.

It's a flashback to her restaurant being DESTROYED. That's her driving force after all. Unless you're talking about one of the other expressions.

Watching it agains with that in mind that makes total sense. I couldn't tell that's what that was supposed to be in the background. Seems like an odd time to add that lol.

Also apparently if you do a dash break into throw for a tick grab with 4FD instead of 1FD you get the parry whiff animation, which was my big worry about it. Bummer.

It's a flashback to her restaurant being DESTROYED. That's her driving force after all. Unless you're talking about one of the other expressions.

Completely correct. If anyone needs to see a still of it.

CObzBH7UsAAsgtM.jpg

Also apparently if you do a dash break into throw for a tick grab with 4FD instead of 1FD you get the parry whiff animation, which was my big worry about it. Bummer.

You don't have to FD break to throw out of a dash. Since you can throw during your character's skid animation, just return the stick to neutral quickly as soon as you're in throw range, then throw.

This is all very different. Even if I started playing with #R, AC is definitely where I feel the most at home with her moveset. Still, I'm liking what I see.

Personally there aren't even words to express how happy I am that it's #R Jam and not AC Jam. I hate AC Jam. It looks like they've even improved her from #R so it's double good. I can see a lot of people are getting tripped up though, I have yet to see footage of someone who is playing well. And sure, it's all very early rough loctest footage and all and plenty of people probably aren't familiar with her at all let alone #R Jam specifically, but I'm still holding out for some strong footage. I'd love to see KA2 come back and throw down with this new iteration of kung fu.

Following is another report. Not everything is concrete so use only as reference.

-2d seems to have slightly reduced range.

-6p motion has changed and feels slower. Otherwise it's utility is the same.

-2s seems to have faster start-up, reduced gap (not sure what this means), reduced reach, and stronger hitbox. Counter still causes stagger and you can follow-up easily. fs > 2s whiff is either 0 or advantage (recovery must have improved). Player personally is liking 2s in its new form.

-2h has good hitbox at certain angle so it can be used as aa.

-Running 6h (just like the old spin kick 6h) has significant range when done while dashing. Hitbox might be good (player wasn't certain).

-Didn't have a chance to check if new jk has backside hitbox for cross-up.

-js may have less untech time than before.

-phoenix super may be 0 or 1f after flash. Cannot fd after flash.

-energy ball super has invun after flash (from video 2 it also seems like it's + frames. It's probably very similar in parameter to reload variation)

Other things being tested is whether parry cancel can be a thing (someone mentioned recovery feels like 2/3 of slayer's command throw whiff). No conclusion yet. Additionally no one is sure what the k follow-up to parry is used for atm.

5s (Both) doesn't gatling into 6h, so best option is whatever > 5h > 6k > 6h.

Below are some of Lox's Tweets. Some information may be repeats:

-Random parries are a notable issue during zoning.

-Regular dp has low invun, seems to end as hit comes out (on-par with reload and slash).

-S puffball is slower. Can hold to move forward slightly more (I'm pretty sure I'm reading this right but this sounds really weird).

-js horizontal hitbox seems to be smaller (matches the feeling from 4th Jam video. A lot of js whiff in combos).

-jd horizontal hitbox seems to have been reduced as well (at least first hit imo. There were a few instances of jk landing but jd whiff, which would never have happened before).

-2s turned out ok: Shorter reach, better hitbox (using her clothing as hitbox), faster activation (not confirmed but likely), faster recovery (still looks like 0 on block, but much safer on whiff).

-6p > 2p gatling removed (This one really hurts).

Personal observations:

-Jam's standing block now has her front leg down, which is unfortunate. One advantage before was if you were going low you had to reach her back leg to hit her if she was standing

-6h has legitimate feet invun. In 4th video in the beginning, 1P Jam did 2k and 2P Jam's 6h went over it at close range. This will help a lot in zoning as best way to stop Jam's momentum on the ground is good low pokes (although with parry change this might change as well).

-6h property is as follows: Ground hit is kd. Air hit can be easily teched (so catching a backstep is not very good if no follow-up). counter hit is KD or wall stick for both. Ending ground combo in 6h guarantees 1 max card.

-2h can be used as aa, but problem is no legitimate follow-up (can't jump cancel). Most likely 2h > kicks. Can secure a bit more damage if a charged is available.

-2h vacuums on both ground hits (neither hits vacuumed before). 2h only vacuums on second hit in the air (both hits vacuumed before).

-5h 3rd hit no longer vacuum.

If random parries is really a problem then they might change the input. I really doubt they'd overhaul the whole parry whiff system at this point. (no matter how much I want them to) If they took away the whiff they would have to make the followups their own special moves. I guess they could make the followups only available on successful parry but that would make the followups unusable in normal combos