Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poultrygeist

Relius Clover vs Azrael

Let's talk about the Relius vs Azrael matchup.  Please feel free to share your experiences, suggestions and questions.  Let's learn and grow together as players.

OKAY I got some things I want to say here.

First of all, even though this is very common knowledge I've seen some players who are scared to press anything against Azrael (understandably so) and so they get hit by his drive mixup.  If you see his leg go up, you can actually hit him before he hits you.  This is pretty much a free 5B for you, and as we all know a 5B from Relius leads into many wonderful things.  If the're just doing the 5B>2C>6D/3D string (very common with Azraels that are really desperate to open you up) then even if they catch on there's still not much they can do after 2C that won't get tagged off 5B.  Even if they try just block that's a free Ignis summon for you.  It's probably smarter for Azrael to not attempt this mixup very often, because it's easily blown up.

As Myoro said in the old thread, the 5B>6D loop is invaluable in this matchup, because it punishes his backdash and pins him down, and a pinned down Azrael is much easier to handle.  Alternatively, 214A can probably tag him out of his backdash as well.

Beware of j.2C the divekick, he can screw up your anti airs with this.  If you have Ignis out, it's probably best to just 4D if you're scared of it, you don't want to risk getting blown up for your 2C attempt.

IB 5D if you can.  Otherwise just Led Ley.  

Be careful not to feed him because Growler is a thing.  

I'm unsure of how useful this is, but I use a bootleg psuedo-option select if I think he's going to try to sideswitch on oki.  I hold back (as in, the direction he's going to be dashing in) and A+B.  What happens is, if he doesn't sideswitch I'll just barrier whatever he does, and if he does sideswitch I'll grab him out of it.  Not unlike the throw tech/barrier OS.

On that note, I think barrier is really useful here.  Getting Azrael off is the first step toward getting us on him.

Some things to consider: in CPEX some strike-projectiles were buffed to kill doll, and unfortunately for Ignis Growler and Az's 2C are among those. This means that j.2D isn't as amazing of an approach item as it used to be. Fortunately for Relius, a character who relies a bit on frametraps, Azrael has lost his DP option for now.

These are both characters that will tap your guard then keep you blocking until you are dead, however Azrael's movement is extremely limited, so 5B, 6B, 6D and 2C can make his life pretty rough. Relius' disadvantage, having to bring in Ignis, isn't as severe as he can go about it in many ways, but is also something to keep in mind. With both characters having few defensive options when pressured or in oki situations and with both characters having very powerful offense, landing the first confirm into pressure or a combo is much more important than in other match-ups.

Overall I'd say that this mach-up has tilted in Relius' favor in this edition.

its an even fight if you're good at moving with Azrael (alot of long jumps) and avoiding anti airs. instant blocking the val tus on the last hit is also kinda important its one of his best ways in

also relius is very bad at burst baiting unless he does the harry potter cloak so you can burst him out of corner pressure. only once though.

I dunno about Val Tus, it feels like kind of a gamble now.  I mean then again it's not like Azrael is usually going to stop Ignis if she's already headed his way, but you can make Relius pay dearly if you're close enough during the startup of that move depending on your spacing and character.