Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miku_Zero

SHIFT - upcoming indie fighting game

Hey guys, we at Respec-Studios, an upcoming indie development team, are working a brand-new indie 2D fighter called S.H.I.F.T. (Second Heat International Fighting Tournament)

SHIFT is a 2v2 tag-fighter that draws inspirations for its mechanics from several popular fighting game franchises such as Marvel vs. Capcom, Blazblue and Capcom Vs. SNK. Thanks to our amazing team of artists, each of our characters has been painstakingly designed and developed from the ground up to give players a deeper sense of connection to them based on appearance alone.

What makes SHIFT distinctive from other fighters currently on the market is the amount of customization and experimentation available to the players. True fighting game aficionados will be given the chance to select from 1 of 3 special gauges that determines their team’s playstyle,and SHIFT's key unique mechanic, that will be revealed soon. This makes it so fans of different fighting games can choose the game mechanics that better suit their playstyles and familiarity in the fighting game genre.

We here at Respec-Studios are aiming to make a game that is honest and fun, a game where you have to work to win. As the developer, we appreciate and welcome all the feedback from the community to make it the best game that we possibly can. So join us in our journey to make one of the most unique, as balanced as possible, and innovative fighting game of all fighting games, by gamers, for gamers.

Have Questions about the game? Contact the lead directly on Email, Facebook and Skype

Skype - Legendary002

Come check out our website to learn more about SHIFT

http://respecstudios.wix.com/shift#!home/mainPage

https://www.facebook.com/respecgamestudios

http://respec-studios.deviantart.com/

https://twitter.com/Respec_Studios

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/respecstudios

These characters certainly do have a lot of personality. If this is what we have to look forward to, it's a great start.

I'm glad you're standing up for balance, but, do keep in mind that there is such a thing as too balanced. When everyone's too close together, they feel rather homogenized. True, this does mean that more characters are viable when it's so closely balanced, but it also makes them feel less unique and fun. I'm not saying to disregard balance either, just that there needs to be some...balance to your balancing.

"Constant" patches is also a worry, since MK9 (and somewhat MKX) had this problem with too many patches in too short of a time, so you never got used to the game before it changed again. Keeping it fresh is good, but if it's too constant, it will just make the game not worth learning competitively or getting a grasp of the intricacies, since they'll change every week.

That's my two cents on this, just trying to offer some advice. I'm also just one person, so it's not as if my word is the only truth, so you certainly don't have to take anything I say to heart.

What sort of style is this game in though? As in, is it more link based like Street Fighter, chain based like Blazblue, etc. Basically, what sort of fighter is it most like?

I'm glad you're standing up for balance, but, do keep in mind that there is such a thing as too balanced. When everyone's too close together, they feel rather homogenized. True, this does mean that more characters are viable when it's so closely balanced, but it also makes them feel less unique and fun. I'm not saying to disregard balance either, just that there needs to be some...balance to your balancing.

Thank you for pointing that out, and Whoops, the balance part was too emphasized. We understand how that can affect the viability of the characters in the game. It's now updated to "So join us in our journey to make one of the the most unique, as balanced as possible, and innovative fighting game of all fighting games, by gamers, For gamers."

Small thing, but, your Twitter link is broken because you put it twice, and you called your team "mulch-faceted" instead of multi-faceted.

thanks and it's now fixed. Man, spellcheck must had taken a vacation letting that getaway. Well, think of it as movement of blazblue with the combat style of mvc3

What sort of style is this game in though? As in, is it more link based like Street Fighter, chain based like Blazblue, etc. Basically, what sort of fighter is it most like?

"More details about Shift will be soon announced, so stay tuned in our facebook/twitter page and there will be a video revealing a lot of it, that is currently in progress, but we have the game mechanics all planned out already "

If this game incorporates assists in some fashion, try to make them consume some sort of resource so that the game doesn't become too dumbed down by the option of always making your unsafe approach safe through the easy use of an assist at any point during the game. That's the main thing that I really hate about marvel 3. Even Tatsunoko was better in that area since the cooldown of the assist was quite significant that you had to save it for when you really needed it, not just toss it out in neutral and having it cool down fast enough that you can use it in the same combo you just got thanks to using it in neutral a few seconds ago.

If this game incorporates assists in some fashion, try to make them consume some sort of resource so that the game doesn't become too dumbed down by the option of always making your unsafe approach safe through the easy use of an assist at any point during the game. That's the main thing that I really hate about marvel 3. Even Tatsunoko was better in that area since the cooldown of the assist was quite significant that you had to save it for when you really needed it, not just toss it out in neutral and having it cool down fast enough that you can use it in the same combo you just got thanks to using it in neutral a few seconds ago.

And before anyone tries to dispute this suggestion, allow me to present to you, KOF 2000.  Your assist in that game is limited to a handful of uses per round and IIRC you can only refill it by taunting which obviously you're not gonna do.

And before anyone tries to dispute this suggestion, allow me to present to you, KOF 2000.  Your assist in that game is limited to a handful of uses per round and IIRC you can only refill it by taunting which obviously you're not gonna do.

Thank you for feedback and you two made very good points. Yes, Shift will incorporate assists. We had prior discussions on how we will implement assists. We will keep your feedback in mind, on our future discussions.

Ahh, ok then, this was a money trap. Dangle a fighting game out there, garner a bit of interest, all of the sudden there's a funding problem, and a conveniently placed fundraiser. And, even though this is something you mentioned today, the fundraiser was started on the 7th, and has a few people onboard. The circumstances you provided wouldn't cease the payment of the animator entirely, you'd just have a delay at most until they got back up on their feet (and, if an investor is struggling that hard, they are a pretty poor investor to begin with). Also, I happen to know the company you named, and they do comic books, not video games.

In short, this is a scam. Good day, you'll see not a dime from me.

Ahh, ok then, this was a money trap. Dangle a fighting game out there, garner a bit of interest, all of the sudden there's a funding problem, and a conveniently placed fundraiser. And, even though this is something you mentioned today, the fundraiser was started on the 7th, and has a few people onboard. The circumstances you provided wouldn't cease the payment of the animator entirely, you'd just have a delay at most until they got back up on their feet (and, if an investor is struggling that hard, they are a pretty poor investor to begin with). Also, I happen to know the company you named, and they do comic books, not video games.

In short, this is a scam. Good day, you'll see not a dime from me.

Excuse me, but you misunderstood us. I’m a co-designer of the game, I need to get approval first from the lead before I start posting about SHIFT. I got asked to start promoting SHIFT on fighting game forums in order for us to be more known. Yes, the Gofundme page has been running before I started doing this task. I just got asked today, to update the post and promote the Gofundme page.

Shift has been started in 2014 from the ground up by our lead with just the idea and passion to make a fighter. As of today, we only have 1 animator, but the rest of our team are continuously working on SHIFT without pay. Making games isn't easy and it’s even harder without funds. We were lucky enough to have people working for nothing. This can be verified by going to our main website. Go to the “Staff” section and you can have direct contact to each person there. Not everyone in the team is listed in that section, because it hasn't been updated, such as me being not listed there.

You can even contact the animator yourself. http://koru-xypress.deviantart.com/

If you have any questions feel free to ask the lead directly (Skype = Legendary002). We are very open to feedback for SHIFT

You can have the Angry Viking Press (Jason Canty) themselves to verify this, by contacting them on their website. http://www.angryvikingpress.com/ He can easily verify everything being said on here and our GoFundMe page. Due to our partnership with AVP, we will be doing a SHIFT comic book for them. You are correct that AVP is a comic book company but that doesn't stop them from helping the project by funding us for an animator.

You have the contact info to verify this at any time. 100% of this money goes straight to the animator himself. We are deeply sorry that this came off to u as a scam, but you so have the information you need to dig and verify everything.