Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baf0

Axl vs Slayer

So...
Slayer's long dash and dandies are pretty much useless, they just get tagged by anything.
Axl's 2HS is too active/long to be able to make it whiff with any BDC movements/moves.
Axl's 5P is w/e but still frustrating, 6P is the obvious answer to it but it doesn't feel like the reward to call out a 5P is worth it at all.

And then there's everyone's favorite move: Rensen; even without YRC this seems like impossible to deal with.
Trying to slowly walk in will just end up with Slayer getting push blocked away or tagged by rensen somehow, teleport superjump feels equally useless because of the 8/9 follow up... obviously you can barrier it but it's still not a favourable situation.

Oh, and there's his stance too... sj iad j214K YRC can get around if the Axl just randomly goes into stance... he really doesn't need to though.
Slayer's 6P beats stance > low > mid but should lose to low > delay > low.

If Slayer does get in and somehow gets a knockdown he still has to guess vs. blitz/dp... at least his DP loses to bdc bite, I guess.

This matchup has me in tears, what do I do?

- Slayer can mix it up between short and long dash. It's not useless, especially when the difference between the two mixes up whether you cross up Axl, or whether you're in or out of throw range. If the Axl player is constantly throwing out hitboxes to tag you, punish that - the whole chain is a hurtbox.

- Slayers should know/learn the range to Dandy->punish both 2H and Rensen. The Slayer I play against often does it all the time. Axl has to YRC to make it safe against BD->Dandy and whatnot at certain ranges - he has to commit to covering either air or ground, or spend meter. 2H especially has quite the recovery.

- If you're struggling against the 8/9 follow up for Rensen, go into training, and practice the timings and range to jump over the follow up and punish it. When you jump over Rensen, it should be a mixup on whether he does the follow up or doesn't.

- Axl's 5P whiffs against Slayer's 2D, so if they get predictable, you can always do that to avoid being frustrated. Or you could just crouch, and whiff punish with Mappa or just get close and mix-up on him, or use 6P.

The thing the Slayer I play against finds most aggravating is how many of Axl's moves have hitboxes slightly behind Axl. It's more of an amusing/minor thing, but you should still keep it in mind when crossing up Axl and punishing his stuff.