Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baf0

Axl vs Venom

Hi everyone, dumping information from my previous thread! Names are put before information that was said

Dai:
Matchup is considered to be in Venom's favor.

Venom has effective poking and space control to match Axl's. Venom can also cover his approaches well, and Axl's chains do get hit by balls. For Axl's range, he can't do much at full screen either, while Venom can.

Note that Rensengeki (green chain move) counts as 3 projectile hits. Axl can interrupt careless approaches and predictable ball based pressure with this. Controls the corner well too. YRC in 1.1 also adds to the threat of Resengeki and lets him get in if you get hit or block it during neutral.

GG Veterans should note two things:

Axl's DP is legit now and really good actually. So be prepared to treat him like a DP character.

Axl's new stance. It's not a huge threat for Venom though. Like his pokes, the chains can be hit. Learn to instant block it and interrupt it with 2P, maybe 2S, and ball hits/Stinger too. A guaranteed punish after recovery from full screen is HS Stinger YRC > max range 2D.

Kirnupiima:
The stance can be broken easily with Stinger Aim YRC. That of course costs meter but is really safe. Good findings you have there.

Redefinition:
Axl's DP is less of an annoyance than I originally thought. I used to get way, way more annoyed by his 623P counter than I do by his current DP. Do note that it eats our pool balls. If you time it properly, though, you can safely land in front of him after K ball oki. If he blocks, he blocks the pool ball. If he DPs, it just eats the ball and you're free to punish.

Otherwise, the neutral game remains largely the same. Don't ever ever jump vs. Axl without ball coverage, try to keep balls in play as much as possible, etc. A note: WATCH OUT FOR THAT STANCE THING WHEN YOU'RE SUMMONING BALLS. It wasn't ever a problem when I was fighting, but it most definitely could be if you're careless with the way you summon.

SnowMonkeyFunky:
One thing I've been getting a lot of mileage out of is counter hitting Axl's 6H with 6P. One of my sparring partners that mains Axl likes to reset his pressure when he gets pushed out with 2H > 6H, and that is pretty easy to react to online. I can imagine that offline 6H can be reacted to in other, less obvious situations.

GodPress:
QVing 4[6]S is viable if you're looking to get some charged balls out in the long range though it is vulnerable to 2H

And yes it can CH j.S.

Reki:
Something that hasn't been said in the thread yet that is very apparent when you play against axl; a lot of his horizontal moves are taxed horribly with damage reductions. Afaik his practical starters that do not dillute his damage by 80-90% are 5H, 6H, 2D, and 'teleport backstab'. Now on the other hand, if you jump on axl and he catches you with 6P, 2S or 5S, you'll be surprised how much non-prorated damage he'll do with just a simple 4-5 hit jump cancel combo ending with axl bomber. Jump on him without ball support and faultless defense if you wanna get blown up.

SnowMonkeyFunky:
If the Axl you're fighting likes to get cheeky with the air resets to 6K (IE: Rensen~9 then let you air tech 6K/throw dash 5P 6K allow air tech another 6K to reset, etc), as well as if they fuck up their timing on 6K 2S (hooray for Venom's finnicky hurtbox!) you can forward tech and punish them free. Forward air tech also does wonders if they try to otg with 3P to prevent other gimmicky resets.

I have a lot of trouble escaping his corner pressure, even if he's got no meter to actually YRC rensen.  Well spaced I'll be too far to poke rensen recover with f.s and YRC stinger takes long enough to him to just rensen again. Are there places I can IB to create holes? Should I just wait things out until he has to make a move back in?

Patience is very important here. Meter will help drastically with YRCs, you can maybe even use Blacksnake's Snakejump tech (basically IAD YRC) when he hesitates.

If he's a good distance away, QV charge is fairly low risk, 5P and 2P won't be much a threat. if they it you from far (at best he gets a Resen knockdown into a nonthreatening mixup). If he goes for stance, react and release, then look to punish the stance.

It's far easier for Venom to stuff Axl approaching overall, so again, patience. It's the worst situation for Venom in this matchup when you struggle to escape, it's pretty much the only way I ever lose to Axl so far.