Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baf0

Axl vs Sin

Ok I'm copy pasting the more relevant data of the old matchup threads, think of it as a way to give general info and open up discussions about it !

Sin's side

Pros 

- Sin outpaces Axl in pure damage & raising RISC level

- If closer than full screen, you can hit Sparrowhawk Stance's low strike after block with 2P, low and mid strike with 5K

Cons 

- Bull Bash is very bad since Axl can reaction counter it from any distance for free

- Axl 3P beats wake-up DP hella free, never do it

General strategy

- Play footsies at midrange, Axl has no pokes that beat 2S in both distance and speed. Approach carefully to minimize damage from his full screen pokes.

- Pressure very safely as Axl's DP will cleanly beat any poke, even 3K. Use safe jumps or Elk Hunt YRC to establish respect, and 236236P for guaranteed mix-up opportunities.

Just to add a few things to the thread.

2S does contest a lot of Axl's normals, except Axl's f. S(and you can't low profile it either), however, f. S is pretty bad on whiff(compared to Sin's 2S), and has pretty limited gatlings, so there's that.

There's a certain sweet spot where you'd wanna be if you're outside of 2S range, and that's right at the edge of beak driver range. Provided you get beak driver out first, it usually would beat almost anything Axl does to poke you with, giving you a CH you can confirm into. Too late and well, you'd probably get hit out of startup. This is the move you'd wanna be playing footsies with. Be aware that he could just counter you or do something else other than trying to poke you, so(as always), be sure to mix it up. Maybe you could just not do anything and wait, or even risk a jump in/slide.

Axl's side

For one thing, bull bash is an opportunity. You have counter, a straightforward way to make any hit with that much startup into a free knockdown that's right next to sin, meaning you can get your pressure started from an oki situation, meaning he needs to either start YRCing that move or not doing it.

I haven't played a lot of Sin yet, but if you're having trouble taking advantage of small gaps, remember that superjump airdash can get over a lot, and that run into FD brake is your safest offensive option to gain ground.

Also remember that Axl is a very mediocre character for zoning people out (You only really play that way in a few matchups), but is great at approaching zoners. Your goal is to get in and lay down some pressure, because Sin wants to be a full screen away more than you do.

Add to pros: Lots of options for cutting off Axl's air approach. Between beak driver, bull bash, 6P, and elk YRC, Axl has a lot of trouble approaching this way.

Also, does "You can beat sparrowhawk" count as a matchup pro when it's true of literally every character? I swear I have no idea why anyone uses that move except in combos.

Add to pros: Lots of options for cutting off Axl's air approach. Between beak driver, bull bash, 6P, and elk YRC, Axl has a lot of trouble approaching this way.

Also, does "You can beat sparrowhawk" count as a matchup pro when it's true of literally every character? I swear I have no idea why anyone uses that move except in combos.

Well, the Chip damage is okay and you can play mindgames and mess with their attempt to punish. Stance usage depends largely on which character you're facing : some characters have relatively unreliable answers (Potemkin, Zato and a few others) , so you can try and use it (reasonably) against them. Sin is incredibly potent at beating the stance with his 5K, which can beat mid chain's startup, mid chain's recovery, and low chain startup (makes it whiff or punishes, depending on the timing) from fullscreen !