Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PerfectInput

Zato-1 Ground Game: Combo/Pressure Advice and Assistance

On 1/12/2016 at 1:02 PM, DrKatz said:

Thanks it seems that 2K has massive hitstun because it leaves you at +3. But -P- has very little hitstun, so you need to chain 2K immediately after it, right?

My stick setup isn't the best either. I use the default configuration. But I'm too used to it now to change it.

It's only a level 2 move; 2K being plus is more attributable to the short recovery than it causing a particularly high amount of block stun.

One of the things about how hit/block stun works with Zato is that you have to factor in hit stop when you're getting a feel for how much stun any given sequence puts the opponent in and how much time they give you to act. Any Eddie move that connects on either hit or block essentially gives you twice as much time to act as what the frame data suggests just based on attack level since as opposed to regular hit stop, you're free to act during it. A good example is Nobiru -> unsummon. Nobiru is a level 4 move, so it inflicts 18 frames of blockstun, and unsummon is 29 frames, but Nobiru -> unsummon is plus because Zato is free to act and start the unsummon animation during the 15 frames of hit stop that normally causes characters to freeze completely, so you can really consider it to be 33 frames of blockstun (and Eddie doesn't actually disappear until the 6th frame of the unsummon animation, which is why -S- unsuumon goes up to like +10). So even though 2K is a higher level move, -P- is going to actually feel like it puts the opponent in a lot more block stun because you're free to act during all 23 frames of their blocking animation.

The short version is, you're probably doing it backwards. Any Eddie -P- that connects is going to give you more time than a Zato 2K.

Also if people are up/backing out of your Eddie pressure, just start doing 2H.

Thanks, that makes sense in a way. Because you're free to dash during the -P- animation obviously. I will keep messing around with the timing. Having the default stick configuration makes execution a bit harder. Should probably switch to rainbow style. But I'm too used to the default and it's been over a year.

Anyways, I thought I'd share this with everyone. This was review for me, but it's extremely useful if you're just starting Zato and everyone should check it out regardless. http://shoryuken.com/2016/01/14/ogawa-offers-tips-for-aspiring-guilty-gear-xrd-sign-zato-1-players/ (Zato Guide - Ogawa)

Default layout isn't necessarily bad, I use it and I find it to be fine. Just use what is comfortable, it's never too late to change your layout. I used to use a different layout for Zato but changed to default because it made playing other characters difficult.

I do 2K, then hold K and unsummon with 236S. Just make sure you release S immediately and don't hold it for even half a second. That way the unsummon starts, but nobiru still comes out. So essentially it's 2[k] > 236S and release fast.

2 hours ago, DrKatz said:

I do 2K, then hold K and unsummon with 236S. Just make sure you release S immediately and don't hold it for even half a second. That way the unsummon starts, but nobiru still comes out. So essentially it's 2[k] > 236S and release fast.

OMG!  DrKatz! you are my savior :D it's work like magic. <3

Glad I could help out :) I've been playing the character for about a year and want to start helping new people in the community more often!