Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

Johnny General Discussion

Johnny, here we come! Revelator arcade releases next week. Let's all spend the year talking about our jealousy!

Definitely happy with how he is looking so far from that footage. 

I was hoping to something like lvl2 low into recoin 5h zweihander or something to get knockdown, but alas we only got some basic routes. Still really looking forward to the wave of info coming soon.

Johnny is looking like a real damage beast, judging from that footage. It looks like you can pick up after zweihander in f.S->mf lvl3->5k->5h->zweihander->something?

unless ground zweihander isn't a knockdown

also, his new 2h looks absolutely godlike, this is insane mixup potential with 2h->air mf cancel->j,k or 2h->air mf cancel->land 2k, that kind of overhead speed was limited to a specific TK ensenga range where no lows could reach

his new normals also look much better than his previous ones, and bacchus sigh YRC looks nasty

Time will tell, but i think Johnny looks really strong

Yeah there is a Johnny going to towwwwwwwwwwwwwn on am Elphelt on Jonio's stream it is beautiful to watch.

I didn't know you could do Treasure Hunt from the Mist stance (or Mist stance dash). And if you hit like that, they drop from above for an air combo.

I didn't know you could do Treasure Hunt from the Mist stance (or Mist stance dash). And if you hit like that, they drop from above for an air combo.

Curiously enough, it's also chargeable which can give you three coins instead of just two. It has me wondering if the charged version can be used off a level 3 MF somehow without RC.

I'm pretty sure I just saw level one k air mist finer counter hit, RC, land into 6k xx air combo. I'm wondering if they're air untechable on counterhit.

Really loving the possibilities of his new moveset.

Yeah likely they likely have enough time to RC into a combo from level 1 mistfiners.

Judging by what I saw on stream, as well as some stuff I had a friend who is in Japan right now test, it looks like combos are going to be vaguely similar to below. (at least based on day 1 stuff)

Grounded level 3 MF allows > f.S 6h Mist cancel f.s 6h to combo. I saw people just doing f.s > 6h > RC > 66 > f.s > 6h MC > f.s > 6h for really good damage without spending the level 3.

Midscreen at level 0 ->   5k > 2d > coin > f.s > P MFlvl2 > coin > 2h > Air P MFlvl2 > air buttons into zweihander. Seems mostly universal. He isn't a Johnny player but said he could do it on most of the cast easily.

Also saw Satou doing some super cool corner stuff like  f.s > K MFlvl2 > coin > 66 > 2h > j.d > land > rising j.d > Air mist cancel > j.d > Air P MFlvl 2 > coin > rising j.d > AMC (Air mist cancel) > j.d 1 hit zweihander.

Link

also, his new 2h looks absolutely godlike, this is insane mixup potential with 2h->air mf cancel->j,k or 2h->air mf cancel->land 2k, that kind of overhead speed was limited to a specific TK ensenga range where no lows could reach

I also agree with this. Initially, I was kinda sad that we lost 2H as I loved using it in certain situations, but this new 2H looks really fun to use, especially with yrc, airdashes, and zwei. I need to rewatch some stuff, but i kind of want to see how something like 2H>jump/airdash>yrc zwei could work out or even 2H>MC>j.K>MC>j.K.

Zwei-transport yrc looks fun to use as well.

One thing I want to know though is did any of them try YRCing coin at all? There were some anti-air situations where it seems like coin yrc would've worked out well.

Overall though, I'm kind of surprised about this version. Some of the characters I enjoyed lost tools that were fun to use in +R; and although Johnny lost some as well that I liked, the new things they added are really fun to use while giving lots of opportunities to use them as well (and that IK animation). I'm pretty happy about this and it gets me pretty motivated to get back into Xrd after seeing footage of Johnny. I'm sad that I'm at work and can't watch twitch archives here x.x I want to see Satou since from the little I saw before going to work looked really good. Thanks for the combo write ups as well. Also it seems that f.S>6H works on standing characters as well? Or maybe I'm misremembering.

I don't recall if they were standing or not, and can't check at the moment, but I think it works on most. The increased Lvl 3 cancel speed is pretty crazy fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Also SATOU MATCHES HERE

I can't watch it all until tonight, but if people see cool stuff in here they should mention it. If not, i'll probably summarize stuff he has found already at some point tonight.

I'm doing combo notations based on the Satou footage. I'll post it up once I have everything transcribed from the footage.

I wonder if air mist stance can be used for fast-fall glitch

It's when you cancel your airdash with a move, like how Baiken does those really fast air dash Tatami's or how Jam does her air DP that goes down instead of up.

Was watching the Satou vids; is 6K no longer MC-able? I saw him use it a few times,had it blocked and he just kinda let it happen. Maybe because he can't anymore? If so that is :(. Otherwise, Johnny looks hype as fuck and I CANNOT wait to get my hands on Revelator when it hits console!!!

Was watching the Satou vids; is 6K no longer MC-able? I saw him use it a few times,had it blocked and he just kinda let it happen. Maybe because he can't anymore? If so that is :(. Otherwise, Johnny looks hype as fuck and I CANNOT wait to get my hands on Revelator when it hits console!!!

Nope. 6k is back to its former #r attributes. I'm hoping that it's still + on block like it was in #r, but you can't special cancel it anymore. It looks like it recovers fast enough to be +, but it's hard to tell, depending on the amount of blockstun it does. YRC though makes it a lot more useful as a movement tool.

I wonder if air mist stance can be used for fast-fall glitch

That's a glitch? I always thought this was an intended feature. It's been around forever and is one of the cornerstones of I-No's gameplay.

That's a glitch? I always thought this was an intended feature. It's been around forever and is one of the cornerstones of I-No's gameplay.

What you call it is irrelevant. It's in the game, for now. Impossible Dust has been in the series for 15 years, starting in GGX, before they decided that they did not want it for Xrd. Likewise, Roman Cancels have been totally changed from what they originally were. One was a glitch and the other a feature, both survived as they were for just as long, but now they're changed.

A fast-fall air MC should be easy to do, like Jam's fast-fall HeelDrop. At first I thought the Mist Stance input change was to take away the Baiken shortcut, but really you don't need a shortcut at all.

Just a bit of info drop here:

There's been some preliminary frame data on Johnny floating around from a JP blog, but it's confirmed that at least part of it is definitely wrong.

Generally 80% of his normals have been reduced by 1f on startup, supposedly.

6K is listed as 15f startup and +2 on block, tentatively, which is nice.

2H (his new move that puts him airborne) was reported as 14f. This is definitely not the case though, as c.S > 2H does not combo standing. It is at least 15f. If anyone sees crouching c.S > 2H combo, (non-CH) then its 15F. Otherwise, 16+.

Not sure if its known or not, but for sure he can gatling c.S and 2S → 2H. Neither combo, as I mentioned above (they're both the same attack level), but being able to string into 2H itself is amazing, as it seems godlike for pressure, etc etc, so any gatling is definitely appreciated.

I've mentioned it a bit on twitter, but since 2H is airborne, it could be nice as throw bait, especially for those awkward situations where you're on top of them (though DB YRC might lead to some pretty good reward too). 

Based on the experience of some players in Japan, here's some random MU tidbits you might find interesting:

VS Elphelt: Apparently just impossible to win in a poke war (as expected, *sigh*). It seems best to retreat with backdash rather than fight on her terms, if you get caught BD'ing from 2S/f.S, so be it. You can use coins aggressively to approach and take your turn, but if she does 6H and trades with Coin, she gets a full combo (very scary).

VS Axl: Air mist finer low is useful for attacking back from spaces too far away for j.H (such as iad'ing a rensen from far away, or iad'ing after whiffed 5P).

Also tenkai tells me it is indeed very easy to space properly to get a Zweikasu.

Damn, I was hoping the Elphet match up would be favorable for Johnny given the range of his pokes but I guess you can contest with a Gorilla. lol Any comments from the Japanese regarding the Bedman match up? 

7f f.S hype :psyduck:? I'm curious about his dash, does it not need to be FD cancelled anymore? Looking at the videos so far, sometimes it's cancelled and other times it's not.