Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red

Adachi vs Mitsuru

This one is pretty rough for Mits imo, for two main reasons.
1) Adachi likes to be super floaty and can kinda ignore Mitsuru's strong ground game in certain places.

2) Adachi has virtually infinite corner pressure against Mitsuru, as long as he can vary his gunshot timing to avoid getting it IB'd.

Quick pieces of knowledge for Mits players:

-You need to SB Coup Droit or IB the gunshot and 5A to escape Adachi's corner strings. His gunshot is -1 and his 5A is 6 frames, SB Coup is 7, instant block puts the frame count 2 in your favor, and your 5A is 8 frames.

-If you instant block j.C, you can 5A>2B punish.

-If he does j.2D, depending on spacing you should be able to 2B through Magatsu Izanagi as it drops down (head invuln), then cancel off the 2B Persona hit into 2D to grab him out of the air.

I have a lot of advice for this MU but for now I'll keep it short and simple.

• Her anti-air is not good at dealing with J.C. If you space it wrong you'll still get hit but she can't deal with J.C properly
  • You can sweep under her 5A in a reliable way, but if you mess up she gets a crouching confirm. You might also make her become wary of it so don't be predictable with the way you use sweep.
  • As mentioned, Mitsuru's 5a is a bit slow and Blockstring>Gun>Blockstring can give good results, but I do not recommend relying on this that much unless you want to get DP'd. You can play around this by blocking after toying with her a bit but I'm not a big fan of it. As mentioned, watch for SB Droit.
  • If you ever block her DP, don't get greedy and punish with 5A>2C>hop J.C. I've gotten bufu'd quite a lot trying to punish with 2B. This is more reliable, not nearly as much damage, but better in netplay.
  • Her 2D is a very annoying normal to deal with. Don't fly around like an idiot unless you want to get hooked off the skies.
  • Basically, J.C, hit buttons that she can't do that much about, avoid playing at mid-range or fullscreen, etc.

I didn't mention her 5A and throw game because they're basically key points you should know about. If people have trouble with them I'll explain more about it but I think this is good for now.

I'll edit some other time with more. I've played a lot of the MU and I think that it should be even or slight Adachi favor?

We're gonna keep hating on her 5A anyway.

Mitsuru's 2B isn't good. It's only useful if the opponent telegraphs their jump-ins. Ideally, she will go for 2D. It's better and matches the timing of Adachi's jump in's.

Adachi's 5D is bad without set-up. Don't use it. I've won countless games because of this. SB Tentarafoo is a threat.

It's tough to use DP versus Mitsuru. Her spacing is much greater than Adachi's DP and he loses more health than other characters.

Mitsuru can fuzzy jump/short hop Adachi's blockstring. Ideally you want to toss in 2B to throw her off. Also spacing is an issue. If you're just a bit out of range, or have to move in to do 5A, she can win out with her own 5A, so be mindful of that.

Mitsuru can deal with j.C effectively. She has j.A, which avoids the hitbox of his j.C. This doesn't lead to much damage, but it does destroy a persona card which is important, plus it'll down Adachi in a somewhat ideal position. If you're worried about Mitsuru doing Bufudyne after DP, waiting or roll through seem like effective options.

Don't spam j.2D. Mitsuru will just break the persona card and it doesn't help your position.

I've played this match-up quite a bit and haven't had many problems with it. The only thing I worry about in this match-up are his j.C and SB Atom Smasher.

Although I agree with most of what you've said I'd like you to elaborate some points:

9 hours ago, AchedSphinx said:

It's tough to use DP versus Mitsuru. Her spacing is much greater than Adachi's DP and he loses more health than other characters.

Mitsuru can fuzzy jump/short hop Adachi's blockstring. Ideally you want to toss in 2B to throw her off. Also spacing is an issue. If you're just a bit out of range, or have to move in to do 5A, she can win out with her own 5A, so be mindful of that.

Adachi's DP is actually "not that bad", because she has to get relatively close for mixup. Yes, it's slow, trashy and free to jump cancels, but it works a lot if you're not careful with it. Of course, Adachi shouldn't DP at max range if he doesn't want to die.

On the fuzzy jump part, why are you talking about it like Mitsuru is the only one who can fuzzy jump/short hop? And most importantly, what are you even using Fuzzy Jump against?. Adachi goes a lot for the command grab, yes, but his pressure is solid and he doesn't go for the regular throw that much. (500 damage, whatever). I'd like you to elaborate here, because it sounds like you're spamming 171CD in this MU and getting away with it for free.

Other than that I'd say that j.A is, as you said, quite good at dealing with J.C. I'd just keep in mind that although the range contests J.C quite well, the reward for Adachi winning the trade is massive when compared to Mitsuru's. Amazing corner carry + very good meterless damage. So yeah, it's a great spacing tool, just be wary of how you use it.

His j.C doesn't have a lot of horizontal range compared to the vertical, so that's what I usually take advantage of. So you're not in danger if its Mitsuru j.A vs his j.C as far as jump-ins are considered. The reward for Mitsuru isn't substantial but the positioning after counter hit j.A is important. It is technically possible for Mitsuru so do 2B vs his j.C, but you have to do it before he's in range, which is just not worth the risk. I should also add that if you're Mitsuru and do j.A and he blocks it, follow up with j.A > j.C > jump cancel or whatever. Just leaves you in a better position and not caught in the recovery of j.A. There is also a combo route you can do as well: j.A > j.C > j.A > j.C. The damage isn't great and it also doesn't put you at an advantage, but damage is damage I suppose. If you're Adachi and she does counter hit j.A close to the ground, she can do a full combo.

The DP thing is important. People normally only DP vs me if I'm close. So if you're at Mitsuru's effective range, he won't be able to take advantage because of how short the range of his DP is. It's sort of why Margaret is so strong. No way to effectively DP versus her (or burst for that matter). So what I'm normally doing in those kinds of situations is being mindful of SB Atom Smasher (4f start up is no joke) and attempting to do a normal throw somewhere he doesn't expect since I do have to run in, which means he can DP at that point.

I guess I should have emphasized fuzzy short hop versus fuzzy jump. I normally use fuzzy short hop because its pretty good at dealing with command grab characters like Adachi and Kanji. The strategy doesn't work that well vs Yu and Minazuki since they don't rely on command grabs that much. This is all personal preference of course. I'm sure others have better ways to deal with his pressure. But I figured I should offer a solution to deal with it if you're the Adachi player and having some trouble with it. I don't play Adachi so I'm just going off memory on rather 2B is an ideal punish or not.

>No Horizontal Range.

>No Horizontal Range.

>J.C

Okay let me put this here

Spoiler

p4u2-adachi-famitsu-screenshot-2.jpg

I get that you probably meant "as an air to air", but please.

Also his DP is not Akihiko's and has more horizontal range than you'd expect. It has 0 vertical range which makes it free to jump cancels as I said.

As for what you're fuzzy jumping / short hopping over, that must be some wild reads or you mean that you use it in certain scenarios or specific times, because those are pretty easy to blow up if used randomly. Like I said, it shouldn't be something you mash all of the time.

That's the vertical hitbox. I didn't say his j.C had no horizontal range, I said the range was smaller compared to the vertical. The horizontal hitbox doesn't outrange Mitsuru's j.A, which I use whenever the option presents itself. The range around where Adachi and Izanagi are is the area I'm talking about. The hitbox in that area is smaller than the hixbox of the claws all the way out. I did say: "so you're not in danger if its Mitsuru j.A vs his j.C as far as jump-ins are considered," so yes, I was referring to air-to-air. Since Mitsuru's j.A is faster and has a pretty long active it's pretty effective at dealing with his j.C, if nothing else for breaking a persona card.

His DP does have more horizontal range than Akihiko's but its not substantial. It can still be outranged by 5A (or 4B if you're feeling ballsy). The first hit of his DP doesn't move him that far, the second hit moves him a bit more, but you can hit him between the gaps when/if he whiffs so its not something I worry about.

The same can be said for any reads. You use them in specific times for specific scenarios. I just use short hop because I like the risk vs reward more than DP and it works well against Adachi and Kanji. I have other options as well, but I originally mentioned fuzzy jump/short hop because I wanted to give Adachi players a solution against it if they ever encountered a player that does it.