huey253

"Engage" Dustloop Revamp Community Effort #3

(Sorry big post. I kinda just started typing, I may be repetitive here but I dunno lol)

I'm not very good at going with the flow in a thread but eh. I feel may be that character boards need core threads but perhaps need their own unique qualities regarding other threads. It's nice to be formal but then again some characters can vary with how they play and stuff so the extra thread here and there to focus on other details may be required/need focusing on also. If that makes sense???

My earlier example was a mess tbh lol. I'll make it simpler with out all the +, - and = symbols. 4 somewhat Core threads.

- [Core/Pin] Beginner Guide/Q&A
Has the guide, people can also ask questions here regarding guide or other things, popular/common Q&As get put in a first post to help prevent repetition.
(You can have Q&A in a separate thread, your choice if you want bundled up info or less threads. I prefer them split tbh)
(May be you want to throw a begging guide on the wiki but link to it regularly and just have Q&A separate)

-[Core/Pin] Video Analysis
SKDs idea is great and it should be implemented. Can have a link to KeepOnRocking or the usual link listings for all matches available at the time.

-[Core/Pin] Combo & Mix Up discussion
Sure throw everything on the Wiki but where are people really going to openly discuss things. Wiki should filter out unpractical and/or less effective stuff.
(Remove these threads and you remove more chances of people talking together and little progress is made by the character players)

-[Core/Pin] General Gameplay Discussion
It's a standard thread we all have, may be you could throw the Q&A stuff here because they can be similar for asking questions.

I have other thoughts in my mind but I feel in general we have to be careful what we remove from our character boards. If we become too formal we could turn people away without realising it. If I were to consider being a new user here I wouldn't sign up as I have no where to really post and get to know my fellow players of that character. (I started feeling more confident to post here through what used to be the Off Topic Thread at the time. We no longer have Groups anymore (which killed/made inactive discussion for characters)) The closest we have to anything like that would the General Gameplay Discussion but I also feel we need "redundant/unnecessary" threads like:

- [Thread] Video Critique (Non-JP videos)
People can post their videos and give feedback on videos. You can relate to people/fellow players more through something as simple as being a fellow player in the western world with their video and discussing it. We can never be like Japan with a local arcade because we don't have that societal structure in the western world.

- [Thread] Introductory and Netplay (PSN/XBL)
Bring people together, hey let's play some mirror matches and get to know a little about each other as a person in a brief introduction and as a learning/developing/veteran player. Then go on to discuss through PMs or whatever on their respective game system about their matches.

I feel Dustloop needs to think of things from a newer players perspective as well rather than just who we've already got. The whole revamp sounds good but we must always think beyond our existing users and how they can become a part of our entire Anime community.

May be I'm thinking too much and/or I'm too repetitive? I'm tired and all but I guess this is all just random stuff floating in my mind at the end of the day. Either way I feel we need to find a balance somewhere in-between too little and too many threads. Important info can be highlighted clearly so people don't ask same questions or don't feel lost. I guess this is a case as well of "each to their own" regarding individual character boards.

One of the crucial pieces of information I feel is very difficult to find (about GG at least) is how fight against each character. The MU threads help with character-specific stuff, but in general, a huge chunk of defending against a character is not character-specific but system-wide mechanics that anybody has access to. Posts like this are what I'm talking about, but they're few and far between (maybe because its stuff GG vets take for granted? I dunno).

One of the crucial pieces of information I feel is very difficult to find (about GG at least) is how fight against each character. The MU threads help with character-specific stuff, but in general, a huge chunk of defending against a character is not character-specific but system-wide mechanics that anybody has access to. Posts like this are what I'm talking about, but they're few and far between (maybe because its stuff GG vets take for granted? I dunno).

That's a good point, actually, and worth a separate thread, in my opinion. As it is now, a character subforum is only read by people who main that character (unless someone wants to dig up match-up info like in the post you linked, but most people stick to match-up threads instead). Case in point:

https://twitter.com/SingerOfW/status/639513932760264704

But if we make a "How to fight X" thread, all sorts of people from the other character subforums are going to drop by, maybe even checking out other threads and sharing their findings before leaving. After all, just because I main Faust doesn't mean I have nothing to say about Ky, right?

This post only applies to Guilty Gear. I would add a universal order to the move normals. specifically, P, K, S, H, D and 5, 6,   2, 4, 3, 1, 9, 8, 7. This order has already been aplied to the -Revalotor- Millia section. I would also fix all the notes. add facts for the bullet points and uses or opinionated information the the paragraph below, like in the May section. The combo section is lacking at best for most characters, and May still has placeholder text for her description. Keep in mind, the -sign- cast will remain unchanged in -revalator-, so edit the -revalator- pages instead.

EDIT: I'm dumb. Some part of my brain thought you were talking about the wiki... The wiki does need to be fixed though.

Edited by Kymaera K1ng
i'm dumb

So it's been a while.

How successful would you judge the current matchup forums to be? Given the anemic response they've gotten, it seems like they haven't been that successful after all. Or maybe it is because everybody uses Twitter and Discord now, but still, one can't shake the sense that the older matchup forums had more activity.

Hit or miss: maybe because there's been less activity than usual, or maybe because CF isn't out on consoles yet. I think Discord plays a part in it, since it's easier to hop on their for a near instant response from someone than to make a post in the matchup boards hoping for a timely response. But I feel that the activity is about equal to the previous matchup boards: though it's hard to measure accurately since the new ones haven't been up for as long.

Twitter and discord plays a huge favor not only in the match up boards but the site in general.  I feel people are moving are moving to those since, like Monarch said, it is also instant response and not hope that someone that knows the MU checks the forums everyday just to see my message.