Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caer-caveral

AC: Matchup discussion

Sup Posted Image's,

I have written a guide to tackling your hoe and I would appreciate some of your guys input.

Did I cover what needs to be said?

Does May have any advantages I didn't point out?

Guide HERE.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3666

Post Replies HERE.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3120

Thanks Everyone,

Kyle

I'm expecting to hear from you Jamie, <3.

Good job beating me at NEC, next time, I win. =)

hi kyle i wanna make it to frxi. im sorry but i think that there are much more knowledgable testament players on the forum who can help with that, i dont wanna mess up anything ;x

hi kyle i wanna make it to frxi. im sorry but i think that there are much more knowledgable testament players on the forum who can help with that, i dont wanna mess up anything ;x

Because any others have offered good advice on this matchup??? It was nice to see how this match up looks on the other side, so that you know what your opponent expects and how they will react. It helps to know those things so that you can limit your opponents options even further. Obviously it's better for may though, just nice to know how may will react to everything.

How about Testament vs Pot? There was this guy at an arcade that kicked my ass big time. I'm not sure if he's good or I'm just nervous whenever I see a Potemkin. He would slowly walk or [4]6HS to get close and then PB me. If I try to jump over to the other side to get out of the corner, he 623HS me. It's either he's good at reading my movements or my nervousness gives it away. I'm really weak against Potemkin with every character since I get nervous with PB.

How about Testament vs Pot? There was this guy at an arcade that kicked my ass big time. I'm not sure if he's good or I'm just nervous whenever I see a Potemkin. He would slowly walk or [4]6HS to get close and then PB me. If I try to jump over to the other side to get out of the corner, he 623HS me. It's either he's good at reading my movements or my nervousness gives it away. I'm really weak against Potemkin with every character since I get nervous with PB.

Keep that bitch away. 6K almost all day. Or some will say all day. Run away, like seriously.

If I run, he just keeps moving forward. Then I'll be cornered and try to jump over only to face a 623HS =( I try 6K but he does 214S sometime to keep away from doing that or jumps and crushes me with his huge ass and then PB.

You gotta utilize your pokes, it's not so hard to keep Pot away. It is consists of smart use of 6K, 6HS, air nets, some trees, S EXE Beast and HS EXE Beast when he's near you but not in buster range. IMO the most important tool to keep pot away is K-CURSE > AIR POT it nullifies his air game, abuse that shit. When he get cursed it's the time to make him fall and get hit by a crow attack you can usually follow to a combo easily due to his hitbox. Try to get as many knockdowns. But never stick a poke without a net on oki since he'll probably backdash buster or just buster if it's not meaty, same goes to an un-meaty net. always remember that if you end a combo with 2D follow-up with P-curse, since badlands will hit once and he'll tech and buster your ass. HS EXE beast after 2D is pretty pointless to me, doesn't worth the 25% since damage is low, it's better to save it for S EXE FRC for more pressure later on or HS EXE FRC as a defensive manuver. Master the Potemkin loop! string to (5HS, badlands) x 2-3 run-up net him and oki (you'll have enough time for that). There are more variations to the loop, play around that and find what you find most comfortable. It's important not to mess it up.

There's a potemkin loop o.O that's something I can use to my advantage. Thanks. Never though about that K-curse, and I guess I should start using more trees. I barely use trees since I tend to act defensive whenever I plant a tree to keep it.

search for matches of shounen vs FAB and CPO on youtube to get the idea for everything I guess. I'd post some matches of mine for a ref for you but I don't have matches of me v pot recorded.

a big aid, for me anyway, is doubling up on nets. pots friggin' ''i can take one hit then own you'' charge move is annoying, and makes it difficult to pressure because if pot is on the defensive(a good pot that is) theyll allow you to block string him, or block most of your single pokes and then once your nice and comfy...BANG that friggin, move. 6k is great as long as it hits...the best things after it are HSbarney and hs, but if pot blocks the 6k nearly everything you could throw after 6k will be beaten and youll take an ass load of damage. just be smart. double up your webs, knock him down every chance you get and land as many 236p as you can because 236p basicly nulllifies pots charge move of death. and as someone else said earlier...run. testa is an amazing rushdown, but i think often thats what pot handles the best.

You don't need to double up on webs. You can just set one, then do other attacks like forward exe beast or something. Doubling up on webs is like saying you'd just stand there, waiting to be hit by Potemkin, but were saved by TWO nets in the same place. That wasted net could've been set in a more strategic place. It's not like Potemkin HAS to do the charging attack, he can jump, among other things. Edit: Maybe I'm setting the net ina crappy place, but a reversal potemkin buster should avoid the net.

im FAR from saying that you should 'jsut stand there' but placing 2 webs at once is a good way to stop pot from bothering with that move. often the HSexe will trade with the charge even if a web has connected. 2k is a good choice to combine with a single web as is 2s, but your not going to get anything after stopong the charge like that, where as withh the dbl web, they act like pot had been caught by a single web outside of the charge. and im also not saying that EVERYTIME you lay a web you should put down two, or otherwise you going to get smashed by pots HS, 6HS, slidehead bullshit, or even just 2d. and also jumping isnt really a STRONG point for pot...

The forward exe beast only trades if you do it really late, and since you're keeping him away, that really shouldn't happen. fragile: where do you place the net? I place it right next to him and I get pot bustered.

Since PBuster has startup frames, it can't get you if the net is on him at wakeup. If you still get bustered it means you are either not placing the net over Pot (as opposed to placing it right next to him), or you are starting the net placement too late, thus making it not hit as a meaty. Regarding nets against Pot, I've been thinking about if it's a good idea to place two slightly low aerial nets against him while you are annoying the crap out of him from a distance with everything else. This would be to make sure that if he does hit with slidehead at some point, he can't hammerfall break > combo you. I rarely play against Potemkin, so I don't know if it's actually useful or not though.

Regarding nets against Pot, I've been thinking about if it's a good idea to place two slightly low aerial nets against him while you are annoying the crap out of him from a distance with everything else. This would be to make sure that if he does hit with slidehead at some point, he can't hammerfall break > combo you. I rarely play against Potemkin, so I don't know if it's actually useful or not though.

BTW you guys, I switched to playing Pot :vbang: Playing Testa felt too easy and I wasn't really enjoying to get those easy wins lololol. Potemkin was my main in slash and I abandoned him on AC coz I got frustrated with Pot V Eddie matchup but I don't mind it now XD

sorry but winning all the time from one-poke-to-knockdown-to-easy-as-hell-and-effective-mixup-that-leads-to-another-mixup just wasn't that fun after over a year of playing:vbang: Pot is more fun IMO since you gotta utilize that one chance you get in battle and fight against all the zoning of some chars (testa, eddie etc) and once you do that - rape time.

I'm not gonna knock your choices...just your wording... one-poke-to-knockdown-to-easy-as-hell-and-effective-mixup-that-leads-to-another-mixup this describes pot perfectly...

with pot it's harder to land that poke, well maybe not vs everyone but against most zoning chars he has hard time doing so. And pot doesn't reset after every mixup, only after a successful one.

you realize if they block the mix-up the opponent goes back to neutral against testament too right? Also, unlike potemkin, testament is quite often gonna invest a bit or a lot of tension into his mix-ups. With pot, its more of a luxury once they are nearby. Once again, I realize you have your choices and im not knocking them, just your wording.

Nemo, on testament-matchups:

6,5:3,5

Zappa, Johnny

6:4

Sol, Potemkin, Ino, May, Slayer, Axl, Robo-Ky, Faust, Order-Sol, Dizzy

5,5:4,5

ABA, Chip, Millia, Venom, Baiken, Ky, Anji, Bridget

5:5

Jam

4,5:5,5

Eddie

You're welcome.

Hey guys. I was inspired by that goofy thread about why the Smash community is better than the GG community, and by bucklemyshoe's I-no tutorial videos, and I came up with an idea. What if we made videos for each matchup, and showed how to deal with each character's shenanigans with Testament? We could show the best ways to get out of various forms of pressure, any character specific combo stuff, what kind of mix-ups to watch out for, etc. This could be done by editing clips from match videos together, and/or by setting stuff up in training mode. I think a separate video for each character would be best. I'm not doing this by myself though, so if anyone's interested, let me know.