Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psycho

Ky Weekly Analysis #3

It's been a hectic couple of days after being stranded in Jersey Sunday night so sorry this is late!

Here is a new video for us to analyze! I chose this one because it's a match up many of us hate and we can learn a lot from it. 

Machaboo vs Susume

Alright, let's break down what happened here. I hope you like reading because I'm going to go into much greater detail about this set, if not, read the TLDR at the end (However, you'll miss out on a lot)

Game 1: Susumu get's hit with a 2D at the start of the match, this was entirely avoidable and he was slipping giving Machaboo an early advantage. Throughout the game, Machaboo is calling out air teleport with an air throw into Oki and seeing if Susumu would respect or not, then reply accordingly. This happened both rounds which gave Machaboo the win due to Susumu not respecting the Oki setup, and the one time he did, he got grabbed and it lead to him losing; this happened in both rounds.

Winner - Machaboo

Game 2: Match begins and Machaboo is still air throwing Susumu, but now for dropped combos however, Susumu was able to get Machaboo in the corner and run his mix-up game and do some damage, although losing the corner, he was still able to close out that round. Susumu starts playing a better ground game, it leads to him utilizing midscreen mixups, opening Machaboo up and gets a good health lead. Susumu however, messes up a setup and get's thrown (again) into Ky's Oki setup, which he does not respect (again) leading to Machaboo gaining momentum and Susumu not being able to recover that round. Susumu continues to use his mobility and now incorporates leaf throw, Susumu gain an advantage however, he is called out with 2H from Ky but bursts the uppercut properly to keep his momentum. A lot of stray hits lead to Susumu still holding advantage forcing Machaboo to be more aggressive. He air throws Susumu again, which gives him some momentum but Susumu respects and finds his time to get the throw he needs to take it although, he almost lost in this process.

Winner - Susumu.

Game 3: Susumu is more aware of the spacing Machaboo wants to control and plays more cautiously, he utilizes teleport > YRC on whiffs and punishes properly. He continues to use leaf throw but now Machaboo is calling those out w/ airthrows, he even air throws Susumu from a Wall Green Leaf Throw, however, it's not enough to gain momentum and Susumu takes the round. Susumu runs the same game but now incorporates max range dust, getting a counter hit which would lead to a combo but Machaboo bursts. Susumu is still getting called out for teleports and now Leaf Grabs, he gets some momentum but it's too late in the game and Susumu closes it out.

Winner - Susumu

Game 4: Susumo runs the same game he did in Game 3 and dominates the first round. Machaboo could not gain any momentum and Susumu ran all over him. Susumu decides to stick to his guns this round, does it well but get's called out on a teleport into (B**** YOU GUESSED IT!) another air throw, Machaboo runs the oki game once again. Susumu escapes and puts himself in the corner with Alpha Blade (bad idea) get's knocked down and Dead Angle's Ky's CSE while Machaboo is in the air (REALLY bad idea), which leads to him losing that round. Susumu get's hit with a round start 2D from Machaboo again, he also dropped a crucial combo which leads the entire round is a throw-fest from both Machaboo and Susumu. Machaboo's throw followup setups get's him more than Susumu's and Machaboo seals the deal. This was Susumu's game to lose and he sure lost it.

Winner - Machaboo

Game 5: Susumu continues to stick with the same game play, utilizing movement and trying to make Machaboo whiff, however, he get's called out on his teleports and uses 5K to tag Susumu for running at him, once w/ j.H, another with an air throw, and his leaf grab get's air thrown. Susumu get's put into the corner and is forced to use all his meter to not get chipped out, Machaboo uses all his resources and is able to chip out Chipp. The next round was extremely odd. Machaboo was able to immediately contain Susumu and take out 80% of his life. Susumu get's out but is air thrown, again! Susumu, cannot get the momentum and Machaboo ends the game w/ a ground throw.

Winner - Machaboo

TLDR: Nothing special here, the entire set was Machaboo calling out Susumu on a few things (Those things being teleport and leaf throw) and capitalizing on it w/ an oki setup and following up accordingly. However, due to that strategy, he was hit by things that he shouldn't have been hit by which cost him rounds/games.

Even Shorter Description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kJBOhqytQ

I don't really understand the air throw out of leaf grab.
My guess is it must be some sort of bizarre option select, because if his reflexes are truly that good, then why not get the SVT CH for more damage instead? Surely someone of Machaboo's caliber knows of that. Maybe I should ask him directly.

Chipp's leaf grab has strike invi but not throw invi, and it's super slow (at least >25f IIRC). Air throw is the most reliable and consistant way to punish leaf grab, there's reasons you rarely see it in high level matches. You don't need to call that shit out, or have godlike reflexes to be able to throw it on reaction

Chipp's leaf grab has strike invi but not throw invi, and it's super slow (at least >25f IIRC). Air throw is the most reliable and consistant way to punish leaf grab, there's reasons you rarely see it in high level matches. You don't need to call that shit out, or have godlike reflexes to be able to throw it on reaction

Chipp's Leaf throw does not have Strike invul, you can hit him out of it (It was strike invul in +R), however, throwing him out of it gives Ky a greater advantage and better positioning and allowing Ky to start his Oki game which is strong against Chipp.

Chipp's Leaf throw does not have Strike invul, you can hit him out of it (It was strike invul in +R), however, throwing him out of it gives Ky a greater advantage and better positioning and allowing Ky to start his Oki game which is strong against Chipp.

Hmm then the dustloop wiki must be recorrected. I'm sure it has strike invi but not the entire duration, you can check by yourself

I suppose, but given that versus a 40-50% combo off of SVT CH that leads to knockdown, I would take the latter.

I guess I still don't see it.