Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

Venom vs Chipp

Discuss the matchup here. 

Dumped info from the prior thread, person's name shows their contribution.

Dai:
Matchup is heavily in Chipp's favor. Venom's worst matchup.

I haven't fought it much personally myself.

Teleport YRC means you can get punished for trying nearly anything in neutral. If you can catch him, kill him. But he does have a DP (needs 50 meter to make it safe though, unlike last game).

While Blitz is important, It might be better for his midscreen j.HS oki. When doing his wall stick crossups, it's very easy for chipp to fake and go low.

I think f.S YRC is important in this matchup. f.S being Venom's longest range poke. If it hits with 25-49 meter, no yrc, cancel into a ball or 2S/2D if you're in range (latter if you can). With more than 50 meter, on contact, you'll be in (and if it hit, you'll get a bnb). If no contact, a YRC will keep him slow for a moment to get in or set a ball.

And of course, if he attempts one of several teleports, you'll get c.S and punish!

Blacksnake via Dai:
"Be unpredictable in your movement and run a lot. No more than 1 ball set and you don't get many chances."

This generally applies to the other fast characters, ie Millia.

Kashell:
faced off against a pretty good Chipp player yesterday. I won the first round, but he started to catch on and won the second and third rounds. The key to this match is to jump, run and never -EVER- stay still if you can. I try to avoid using Stinger Aim unless I can YRC it. I try to avoid QV-ing since it has a slow start up. Carcass Raid is kind of a crapshoot since good Chipp players can teleport away. If it does hit, do an air combo that knocks him away and set up a ball.

Otherwise, I say play defensively and wait for an opening. There's really not much you can do since Chipp can decimate foes quickly. Luckily, a few hits here and there and he'll be hurting for days.

Tittyfofo:
I think the best bet at the start of a round is to just back off. Chipp's 5K stuff our 2S, and the best answer I could find was S Carcass. But obviously if he does anything else (like teleport), you're gonna get fucked.

Dai:
His 2D also stuffs a lot of options at the start of the round and hits you from starting position, as I found out the hard way at Winter Brawl, but Venom's 2S will beat his 2D specifically.

A lot of Chipp's normals are very fast and are strong on block (not to mention some good priority). 6K is a gap of course though.

Rekka first hit is -1, Instant blocking that can help Venom get out, or attempt a counterpoke (beware of the 2nd Rekka in those cases).

Teleports depending on which one can be 20-30 frames total. If he's using them up close during pressure, take that into consideration (as well as YRC... :psyduck: )

Venom 2S on round start beats everything but 5K, but 5K goes straight into 2D for a knockdown at the start of the round so it's a risk. From Chipp's perspective it's not something you want to go for too often either because it whiffs unless Venom sticks something out, so you want to scare Venom into not doing 2S and then do something else to get the advantage.

jD backed with balls is really annoying to deal with. Balls hit by jD in general have trajectories that mess with Chipp a lot.

Hmmm I'm not too sure of testing because I'm not sure if my recording and my input are having the same timing.

So just to be sure, you're sure that Chipp's frame 5 foot invincibility on 2D doesn't stuff Venom's 6 frame 2S. If so, will update as appropriate.

You know, I had pegged foot meaning lower body and not literally feet in this case...I see.

A little sadder at my past performance, but a little wiser today.

In conventional footsies, Venom 2D will also always beat out Chipp 2D, even if Venom has his out first and it's in the flopping around on the floor phase (2nd hit). I don't know why this happens except Fuck Hitboxes.

e: I really wish it was like you said and Chipp had complete lower body invulnerability during 2D and I'm now sad that that's not the case

In conventional footsies, Venom 2D will also always beat out Chipp 2D, even if Venom has his out first and it's in the flopping around on the floor phase (2nd hit). I don't know why this happens except Fuck Hitboxes.

e: I really wish it was like you said and Chipp had complete lower body invulnerability during 2D and I'm now sad that that's not the case

This dude's Chipp gets me hella salty.

According to Blacksnake, the best thing to do is just to stay as mobile as possible and always keep a ball at the other side of the screen.

Writeup by my request for Isamu Venom (top ranked JP Venom), translated by Keeponrockin)

Excuse me for the Japanese. For the Chipp-Venom match up, the first thing to know is that "for the most part, Venom's 2S and f.S win the ground game". Also that Chipp's teleport YRC moves him to where the opponent was right before the teleport.

Therefore, you can poke with 2S/f.S while you're dashing and as long as your timing isn't bad, Chipp won't be able to start his offense. You should also be careful about alpha blade, but it seems like just poking with f.S beats it a lot of the time.

Since you control the ground game, it's important to watch out for jumps and air dashes. Typically Chipp will jump from right in front of your 2S/f.S range, so when the opponent enters that range, read the opponent and simultaneously jump with Chipp, then go for an air throw. You can also go for an air-to-air with j.P if you act before your opponent.

For summoning balls, try to mix up cancelling or not cancelling dash 2S/f.S into summon. If the Chipp wall clings from far away, you can also summon. Just having the ball there will act as pressure and they're also useful for running away so it's not necessary to immediately hit them.

In the end, the goal is to abuse your advantageous ground game and harass the enemy into moving into easy to anti-air positioning. The main causes of losing will end up being when you're forced to block okizeme, you made the wrong read/were read or there were multiple times where you were unlucky with teleports leading into lethal situations. There aren't a lot of actions you need to take to win and you don't have to take a lot of big risks.

For these reasons, I think Chipp vs Venom is an even match up.

Round start: stick to 2S or blocking. Retreating or overextending gives Chipp a bigger attacking opportunity. (Dai's note, 2S loses to 5K, and when mistimed 2S/2D, so be careful)