Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaiAndOh

Venom vs Slayer

Discuss the matchup here. 

Dumped info from the prior thread, person's name shows their contribution.

SnowMonkeyFunky:
2S and 2D can mess with raw dandy stuff, but from a blockstring hitting buttons can be risky.

D-D-Domo:
His 2S beats our JH at pretty much at any height.

His 5P is also a good anti-air.

Anyways, make sure your oki is tight because he can backdash through it. He can backdash through a good chunk of our moves

GodPress:
Whilst he has strong frametraps that can and will turn into 200+ damage with meter, you can, in a lot of situations wait for the inevitable dandy and 2D(even better if you have meter to YRC in case things go south) it on reaction for the KD & oki setup, whilst he has BDC it doesn't change a massive amount of our oki game and in some cases adjusted for it (j.D BH is nice).

Round start its relatively even you both have options to force momentum early, PB, Upkicks, 6P & Mappa for Slayer and Mad struggle, 2S & TK summon for Venom.

His anti-air game is good with 2S beating a lot our air options and 5P > 6H CH leading into some huge upkicks damage near the corner. Staying on the ground or meeting air-to-air is advisable but if you find yourself in the situation where you are in the air blitz can be quite handy.

In terms of your zoning game SH (optional P if there is time) to force slayer into the air and use J2K to navigate over the balls as he can't 6P through the ball travelling to the ground. Singular balls such as P set 5P allow Slayer to 6P right through them, not ideal if you're chasing up behind them, the solution to this is use SP if there is adequate time to set this up, otherwise stick to screen vertical screen coverage in my opinion.

Be wary of your ball sets as he can and will punish your recovery with Mappa if you've miss spaced and that's not a situation you want to be in.

Also, Slayers j.HS is no where near where it used to be in AC or #R, it is not the giant hitbox of impending doom it once was, don't be afraid to 6P or 2H it. His j.D on the other hand is pretty good.

Dai:
Footloose Journey YRC also helps him get in and punish summons from the midrange.

TittyFofo:
Neutral jump j.P, falling j.S has served me well as a round opener here. Good against stuff like Mappa and forward dash, and doesn't get hit by 6HS. Also gives you plenty of time to react to other crap like Dandy Stepping or 6P. Slayer doesn't really have any godlike aerials that I'd be overly concerned about, so shrug.

Sine:
I like this matchup alot. slayer has to take more risks than he would like to get in and when he does 2s stops alot of his dandy step and mappa pressure and leads to damage with meter. His IAD j.HS pressure can be 2HS'd. and HS stinger yrc gets alot of mileage in this matchup as in alot of other. Slayer has alot of frame traps though so it very important to know when to disrespect his stuff. Air ball set ONLY when you are SURE you have the space to so and not unnecessarily or without yrc (although not worth the meter in some situations) cause man, 6hs CH is never fun

SnowMonkeyFunky:
Fino showed off some good stuff to deal with Slayer's shenanigans. For example, unless DStep S got stealth nerfed in 1.1, you can IB (maybe regular block in some situations too?) it as long as it's not meaty and can backdash out of the S>H vs S>2K 50/50. His 2D and 6H "can" catch you, but at least you can force then to rely on more than the raw mixup.

Dai:
Also what I saw Fino doing was IBing the Dandy S, then either 2K or c.S to hit any attempts at It's Late or 2K. Not sure about it being a straight punish, but looks very useful.

Now that I've played this a lot more, Venom really has no business hitting buttons vs Slayer at the start of the round. Eating a CH Pilebunker right out of the gate is a terrible thing, in addition to all sorts of other things that can go wrong. His 2HS will also beat Venom 2S cleanly. You won't get enough momentum to justify the risk, unless you just have a great read on that individual Slayer.

I recommend IADing backwards with j.HS most of the time. Beats forward dash and Mappas, and doesn't get hit by the other crap. Only thing I've seen beat it was dash jump j.K, and its only happened to me once so yeah. I know you're giving up some control of the screen, but better safe than sorry IMO

16 hours ago, TittyFOFO said:

Now that I've played this a lot more, Venom really has no business hitting buttons vs Slayer at the start of the round. Eating a CH Pilebunker right out of the gate is a terrible thing, in addition to all sorts of other things that can go wrong. His 2HS will also beat Venom 2S cleanly. You won't get enough momentum to justify the risk, unless you just have a great read on that individual Slayer.

I recommend IADing backwards with j.HS most of the time. Beats forward dash and Mappas, and doesn't get hit by the other crap. Only thing I've seen beat it was dash jump j.K, and its only happened to me once so yeah. I know you're giving up some control of the screen, but better safe than sorry IMO

Venom's 2S is a strong round starter, Slayer's 2HS has no reward miscreen and will lose to Venom's fS, if you must/want to press a button then you should definitely go for 2S.
To get around Venom's 2S Slayer can also go for bdc IAD forward or 214K/P~ and react to what you are doing, both options lose to 6P/fS though.
Backward IAD jHS likely lose to fwdc pile bunker or fwdc UP letting Slayer start his game right away.

The safest option is to just stand still and watch what Slayer is going to do tbh, I wouldn't advise you to always do that though, if you are scared to play Slayer's guessing game from round start you are already putting yourself in a pretty bad spot.

I haven't seen anyone try to dash cancel PB, but I can't imagine it having the range and speed to catch a backwards IAD cleanly. Venom 2S is easily beat by several of Slayer's relatively safe options, and also produces no real reward at midscreen. 5S(far) is also a pretty poor option, losing to 6P and IAD stuff for CHs IIRC.

While I realize that you can't just use one option to open with (an odd concept for most Venom players lol), most of the stuff that can be used vs Slayer has WAY more risk than reward associated with it, and this isn't really a good match-up for unnecessary gambles IMO. I would rather force him to make one hard read for one particular option than to do things that he has multiple good answers for, especially if one of those options is PB.

If you IAD backwards most of the time, you aren't gonna have much tension for Stinger YRC or FD, which are pretty crucial to stopping Slayer's offense. Eventually, Slayer will have enough tension to just DOT your jH on reaction for a knockdown.

I think a decent opener for Venom is dash 2D since it beats Dandy Step, sometimes 5K, and is difficult for even jH to reach.