VR-Raiden

[XrdR-XrdR2] Sol Badguy Video Discussion/Analysis Thread

GGXrd_Header_Video_Thread.png

Information
  • Use this thread to post, discuss, and analyze videos of Sol in Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-.
  • To find Sol matches, please consult the "Video Databases" tab below the forum banner and use the search engines provided.
  • If you know of any tutorial or combo videos that have yet to be posted, please do post them and they will be added to the opening post.

Notable Players

Misc Videos

Strategy/Tutorial Videos

Combo Videos:

Starting here we see some testing with character specific combos on Johnny and Jack-O.

Fafnir, BB link in corner looks lenient on Johnny, and height specific on Jack-O.

http://www.twitch.tv/joniosan/v/12644690?t=12m35s

And here is a silly combo with the new 5D homing dash, along with a cool new green color.

https://twitter.com/yandadayo/status/636177449638694912?lang=en

Edited by VR-Raiden

There hasn't been a whole lot of Sol representation in videos since release, but judging from wall stick height in the corner, we'll probably need to wait to let most characters drop low enough to land 6HS, preventing us from getting the most out of the normal cancels. 2HS looks like it would be stable though, so maybe we can land some stronger normals from there. As for midscreen routes, there were reports during the early location tests (from king of heart, if I recall) of being able to do a short sequence into Gun Flame and getting a continuation from there. The tumble seems pretty short though, so I suspect we'll need to keep it concise.

In the recent KaoTV! stream, Machabo- gave us our first real taste of how Sol can utilise some of the new mechanics in REVELATOR by landing a Blitz Shield Charge Attack (min charge) off a Bukkirabou ni Nageru from P2 starting position on Zato. Because of the hitbox of Sol's Blitz Shield Charge Attack, he is able to hit Zato while crossing underneath him while still launching him in the intended direction. From there, it is possible to land Fafnir and follow up with a full combo, something normally not feasible from that distance even with (Gun Flame), dash j.D, falling j.D. Machabo- performs the most optimal route possible (also demonstrating awareness of the required Fafnir, Bandit Bringer height on Zato), which not only deals around 200 damage, but also builds more Tension than the amount spent on the Blitz Shield.

(Demonstrated at 04:36:02 in this video.)

He then goes on to showcase possible damage off a raw Blitz Shield Charge Attack (max charge), which is naturally quite high off a 50 damage attack with no proration at max charge. Optimal damage off a Blitz Shield Charge Attack (max charge) will probably only be slightly less than off a CH 6HS.

A bit belated, but shortly after Jam's release, Aoi Jun uploaded a new combo referral video by Bonchan in the same vein as the ones released shortly after the initial arcade release of SIGN. As expected, the combos involved showcase both the new Homing Dash and Blitz Shield Charge Attack.

For something a little more recent, here's a Sol-relevant indication of the massive minimum damage buff that Burst Overdrives received in Ver.1.03. Thanks to Tyrant Rave ver.Beta's high base damage across just a couple of hits, the damage difference is very pronounced.

Endu recently posted a video of combo routes to use against Johnny. Check the video link here. As demonstrated, Johnny's height allows for standing IAD combos in the same vein as old Potemkin infinites, very useful in this case as it allows us to get full conversions off 5HS for no Tension expenditure. There's also an example of the Bukkirabou ni Nageru, Blitz Shield Charge Attack (min charge), Fafnir route that Machaboo demonstrated shortly after arcade release.

Edit: Endu just uploaded an equivalent video for Jack-O', which can be seen here. Kudakero (1) into Fafnir is an interesting combo part.

...I'll just leave this here. Notes are in the description.

Also, to complete his recent set of character-specific videos, Endu released a new video detailing combos to use on Jam, which can be seen here. One thing not demonstrated from that video that I happened to stumble across during testing is that Jam is seemingly the only lightweight vulnerable to Gun Flame, 6P > Gun Flame after a near-corner Fafnir, Bandit Bringer. Not only that, but she is also one of the characters that can be hit by a j.K afterwards, meaning that you can land a variation of the optimal route on her. Landing Kudakero afterwards can be a bit finnicky though.

Talking about Johnny IAD route - it can be done twice! As result, you get corner-to-corner combo with a knockdown. 

x2 route looks kinda like this:

[Starter]-5H-IAD j.P-j.S-j.K-5K(1)-5H-IAD j.P-j.S-j.K-j.D-Fafnir x2. 

Something around 120 and 180 damage with 2K-c.S and j.S-c.S as a starter if I remember correctly. 

I found something in the lab with Johnny and 2H blockstrings. If you IB 2H, and he tries to do another normal by Mist Finer Cancelling 2H, it'll counter hit him out of it. It doesn't seem all that guarantee of a punish, but a check as to make sure he doesn't try hitting another button. Lvl 3 is a bit trickier, since he recovers faster, and actually ends up on the ground a lot sooner, but if he tries to hit a button, 5K will beat it out. I need to further investigate it more to see if Johnny can do anything besides bait it out besides trying to double jump to escape

I guess 5P may be a little better tool for this, due to its fast recovery and high hitbox. Also, it's just 1f slower than up-close 5K and 1f faster than AA 5K. Though I didn't tested this yet.

Fresh off the release of GGXrdR in Japan, Endu has released a new video detailing practical combo routes to use on Kum Haehyun. The video can be seen here.

Edit: Here's the equivalent video for Raven.

since the other thread got locked for some reason, i just post this here, more than 1 hour of sol matches!:

GGXrdR 5/25/16 - Roi (Sol) Matches

VS

Ryuu-chan (Sol), 2rio (I-No), min (Jack-O'), Sanma (Venom), Shuumatsu (Jack-O')

The other thread was locked because it was the video thread for SIGN, not REVELATOR, and there's probably not going to be anymore SIGN footage from here on out.

So immediately I went into testing and found that

Air BR Knockdown does more damage and grants better oki in some cases than regular VV Ender. 

6H RRC Combos do big damage if you have 50%.

5H CH BB works on Crouching Baiken, can lead to big damage.

5K still works as an AA, 1st hit is much weaker to link stuff off of. 5P could work as a replacement off certain links.

Safejumps on Azami DP followup work.

Answer's 1F Counter can be OSed with 6P and can lead to big damage.

I was testing what to do with the new 6H on hit now, and found that GV connects from a decent range. I don't know if anyone could react fast enough to confirm all the options though. I was thinking something like 2S>6H frametrap, BB on CH, GV on regular hit, and GF feint on block, but I haven't been able to react quick enough yet. Maybe for someone more talented it's possible?

I'm fairly certain that they should still work, I'll test it when I get home, but I don't think kudakero's attack level was changed, and I don't think they made any changes to hitstun "decay"

7 hours ago, Bloodcrave said:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29864976

do these still work for rev 2?

i tried the 1st combo on sol and i kept having grey beat on the 6p after kudakero...

I take it back, it looks like you're probably right. I tried a good number of times and I could never get 6P to connect there. VV finisher after kudakero was the best I could come up with. Has anyone else had any luck with this combo? Or does anyone know why it might not be working anymore?

There's no change to either Kudakero or untechable time decay. The reason the combo is dropping for you is because you're delaying 5HS for too long. It just so happens that the untech decay timer is at such a point where the difference between no delay (or a very minimal delay) and the usual delay early on in the combo is the difference between one untech decay threshold and the next by the end of the combo.