Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heavymetalmixer

Best brands for D-Pads

Dualshock 3 and 4 but the 4 feels better, a natural upgrade for the DS3.
I really like the DS4, the D-pad is very precise and offers good feedback/response, and the buttons as well.

I agree with Tong, the DS3/4 are probably the best pads with analogs you can find. Besides those, there is the Hori Pad FPS Plus, and if you feel like waiting, Capcom will be releasing some SFV Pads sometime in the near future. If you're willing to compromise on getting a pad without an analog, I also suggest the Fighting Commander 4.

I agree with Tong, the DS3/4 are probably the best pads with analogs you can find. Besides those, there is the Hori Pad FPS Plus and if you feel like waiting, Capcom will be releasing some SFV Pads sometime in the near future. If you're willing to compromise on getting a pad without an analog, I also suggest the Fighting Commander 4.

I've read very good critics about the Hori FC4, mostly of the quality and durability of the pad.

I'm actually using the FC4 currently, still haven't come to a conclusion about it. I preferred my DS4 after I broke it in but I started having connectivity issues (very likely my fault) so I chose that one to have a fully wired pad.

for PS3: DS4 free, no home button response, wired, accurate D-pad inputs etc etc. it's pretty ideal for tournaments.

as for PS4 no one really has like a 100% proof controller other than the DS4. pad players rip on that console man. 

I didn't initially believe a couple of blurbs that I saw on the Hori Fighting Commander 4 that claimed that Hori had improved the rubber membranes used in the pad from the ones used in the HFC3 but it does feel like they have so there's that.

Also worth noting is that a company called Brook Accessory (as detailed here <-SRK discussion) has released a lot of converters that allow for a variety of older controllers to be used on the PS4 with my personal preference being the PS1/2 to PS4 converter as I feel like controllers/PCBs from those consoles are so ubiquitous that it made the most sense, at least for me, to pick that one up.  It's also worth noting that the PS1/2 to PS4 converter lacks a lot of the "features" that may lead to tournament bannings for some of the companies other products.

What's a good "cheap" alternative to a Dual Shock controller with a "split d-pad"? (By split, I mean, it's not a single cross like Nintendo makes, but actually has 4 directionals and isn't a flat disc or something that rocks around on a single pivot).

By the way the Hori Pad mentioned in this topic is a "plus", what I'm looking for is a "broken plus".

Plus: (Hori, off brands, Nintendo, etc)
Broken Plus: (I've only seen Sony make these)

What's a good "cheap" alternative to a Dual Shock controller with a "split d-pad"? (By split, I mean, it's not a single cross like Nintendo makes, but actually has 4 directionals and isn't a flat disc or something that rocks around on a single pivot).

By the way the Hori Pad mentioned in this topic is a "plus", what I'm looking for is a "broken plus".

Plus: (Hori, off brands, Nintendo, etc)
Broken Plus: (I've only seen Sony make these)

Now that I think about it, I really like broken plus pads, so I have the same question.

I'm going to weigh in on this a bit despite the fact that this thread is two years old.

I've been playing with the FC4 for almost a year now, and it's an extremely comfortable pad that I enjoy a lot, but I have some grievances with it.  I own two, and the first one had its d-pad completely loosened after only a month or so of use.  I'm hearing other people complain about the lack of durability on the FC4 as well so I know it's not an isolated incident.  This is particularly a problem for games like the ones DL covers for obvious reasons.  

DS4 is an option since it works on PS3/PS4 AND PC just like the FC4, and it's actually seeing a sizable amount of use competitively.  However I have heard horror stories of sync problems and especially problems with the share button on PS4.  I've never actually used one so I don't know how good it is or if it has the same god awful triggers and cheap build that the DS3 had.

On 9/5/2015, 3:21:17, floatwater said:

for PS3: DS4 free, no home button response, wired, accurate D-pad inputs etc etc. it's pretty ideal for tournaments.

as for PS4 no one really has like a 100% proof controller other than the DS4. pad players rip on that console man. 

PS4 hasn't been treating stick players much better because there's a minimal amount of things they can use, but Madcatz have at least thrown them a bone, which is more than they do for us, that SFV fightpad looks like a god damn abomination lol.

I normally play on stick, but I enjoyed the PDP Afterglow controllers back when I played Marvel. The PS3 one is pretty decent, but I really liked the the 360 one. It's cheap, durable (owned it for about 3 years before I sold my xbox), hard wired, and the Dpad reminded me a lot of the Genesis pad. If you can get a converter, I would say to go for it.