Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Them's Fightin' Herds

6jv95bz.png

From the ashes of My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic . . .

[ Dev Blog | Indiegogo page | YouTube Channel | Twitter ]

Personally, I know nothing of modern MLP nor do I particularly care about it, but I was always interested in this project, and this new re-tooling is doing some pretty interesting things (I highly recommend checking out their YT channel to see their dynamic music system and reading their recent blog post on color palettes; the former has me especially intrigued because of the level of detail they're going to.)

The story behind the project (in a nutshell):

So as many may know (for better or worse) the 2010 animated series of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic created an unbelievably huge and successful renaissance for the toy line which quickly created a massive fan base that is not shy to show off their devotion to the series. Regardless of your feelings on the matter, I personally felt that one of the most interesting passion projects came in the form of "Fighting is Magic," a fan made fighting game that truly shone as a love letter to not only pony fandom but virtual pugilism enthusiasts as well. Sadly the project was canned by copyright holders Hasbro Inc. but the dedication of the dev team would not be wasted as a number of key individuals stepped in to ensure the spirit of the project would live on!

Mike "Z" Zaimont", tournament level fighting game player and one of the leading visionaries behind Skullgirls, offered up his own personal "Z-Engine" (that was built specifically to develop Skullgirls). Lauren Faust, the woman responsible for the very conception of what My Little Pony is today, offered up her talent to create all new, original character designs.

The now reborn, heart warmingly cringe sounding, Them's Fightin'n Heards is clearly more than just a half-hearted hobby piece.

More to follow . . .

Yes, how dare they take so long after being slammed with a C&D and having to redraw the entire game and work with a new engine. ' x'

There are two more characters that have been teased but not shown in full or given names yet. One is some kind of unicorn (some people think a goat of some kind) that has a book one is an alpaca (the one on the far left, the other two are the ones in the trailer). People assume that the designs from fighting is magic are being ported over to fightin' herds (can we all agree on calling it TFH instead to sound less stupid?) so probably 6 characters at launch. I'm sure there'll be more info when the crowdfund campaign starts.

If you watch the trailer you can see that there's health with Vsav style regen, super meter, magic meter which seems to be basically the same as the old fighting is magic magic system, and some kind of third meter underneath the healthbar that looks like some kind of stun or Skullgirls style undizzy. I wanna say I remember an interview/twitter conversation where they said they didn't want the game to play too much like skullgirls so maybe not? IDK I can't find that interview/tweet anywhere though so maybe I made it up.

Yes, how dare they take so long after being slammed with a C&D and having to redraw the entire game and work with a new engine. ' x'

LMAO, why the hostility? Jesus girl, chillax.

Judging from the change in hitsparks, it looks like the green bar under health is SG style undizzy, although they never bursted so maybe not. I hope it's not.

Edit: They said on tumblr the green bar is related to combo length but isn't harsh, so it's possibly a mechanic different than undizzy.

The indiegogo is live.

Gameplay details revealed for Paprika (alpaca), Oleander (unicorn), and Pom (sheep)

Paprika has good movement and randomized attacks (probably a-la faust/plat)

Oleander reads her book to get more moves (as in straight up new moves apparently, like Shun Di, not powered up versions of specials like HOS)

Pom is a puppet character who has a pack of puppies.

The 6th character hasn't been revealed, might be the boss? mane6 says they'll reveal details soon.

oh, and it has ASW style lobbies

Edit: I missed it but they explain the combo poration. That green bar isn't undizzy, it's a juggle decay bar. Sounds like progressive gravity from guilty gear/HNK (but without basketball combos probably) but the progressive gravity only kicks in after that bar is filled.

Calling it now, lobby system will be an RP hub within a month of release.

So, just like any other online lobby out there?

Hmm, think I'll go with the $200 pledge tier [need all those musical variants! ' 3' ] and the visual hub world is cool, it's like a mini-game inside of a game, I hope ARC takes note as I still feel like they aren't utilizing their brand of it to the fullest of its ability [I want to interact with the useless shit in My Room! >.<]

Right off the bat I'd main Oleander for that sweet Evil Dead reverence lol but I'm bad for wanting a Predator playable ; -; [someone on the comments expressed interests in a wolf before the IGG went live and it made me want it Q.Q ]

RC88 (the game's composer) put some full tracks on his youtube

Main theme

Velvet's theme

Edit: new character (it's some kinda dragon horse? sounds like it's a high mobility rushdown character, maybe a fly mode?) and a green light campaign.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/them-s-fightin-herds#/updates

They added some more pledge tiers and some stretch goals which will add mac/linux and a goat character who has wall walking abilities and her magic is some kinda high speed movement.

They also mentioned how the beta will work if they get green lit. Basically everyone at 15 and up will get a steam code, and everyone at 40 and up will get into a backer-only beta. So if you backed at a low price point you might want to up it.

I really need to get back to watching Mane6's animation streams. I am super excited for the game and backed more on it than I backed on anything. I just am not much into streams.